ONCE you have your TDEE and BMR...next step

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Eat 1925, unless you exercise so much on a given day that you would end up netting below 1461 (then eat at least enough to net above that). The easiest way to see your net calories, assuming you log all your exercise, is to look at the top of your "My Home" page.
    [/quote]

thanks for confirming that I will make sure my net is over 1461, I often do quite high burn with the running & cycling.
  • Fenestra13
    Fenestra13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for explaining.
  • Wordwarrior7
    Wordwarrior7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this, and the workout I'm going to do is the full throttle workout.
  • jtmurph7
    Options
    This is great info...Thanks
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling to find my new "zone"....getting myself all confused once things stopped working. In reading this, I remember now that this is the post that set it all straight for me a year ago.

Thanks!
  • mnsmov15
    mnsmov15 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am so new to all this. I started out running slowly and calorie restriction - lost weight from 165 to 131 now. Just now getting used to considering lifting heavy

If I do 40mins approx 3-4m running 3X and some sort of light /heavy ST 2X (5X at least 30 mins) should I consider that moderate or light activity?

I am 5' 4" and 131. Like to lose all jiggles and get to 124.
    Right now used to regular MFP 1200 and eating back exercise calories.

Per Scooby calculator
    BMR 1367
    TDEE @ Light 1880
    TDEE @ Moderate 2119

I know I need to increase slowly, but I am so scared of gaining weight... Please advice.
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Well, I can speak from some personal experience here, I had hyperthyroidism and then had it irradiated so now I am hypo...Kiki is right about foods, I found out the hard way that peanuts and soy products will interfere with your thyroid med uptake if you are on synthroid or some other thyroid replacement therapy. Also, and this was BIG for me, I remember I went to the dr to check my thyroid because I just felt so lethargic, and I couldn't lose weight and she insisted that my levels were in the "range"...WELL, she then called me back and said that I fell closer to the lower end of the range and that some people feel better at the higher and she upped my med...Lord have mercy, I felt life again. So, my current dr is totally aware where I need to fall in the range and I can pretty much now tell him where I am at quite accurately based on how I feel. My dr always runs a full thyroid panel because if they just go off the TSH (and mine runs high) and it is high, they think oh your meds are too high, but they have to look at the whole picture...where do the T3 and T4 fall? So that is something else to consider.

Also, don't take your med with food, it should be on an empty stomach at least half hour before eating and do not eat any diary products within an hour of taking your med. Would you believe I was on the med for over 10 yrs and not one dr told me that. I found that out when they started printing the information labels on the scripts...I found out on the side of a bottle...just UNREAL!!!

Funny story, I got on the soy bandwagon, soy burger, soy this soy that...then I had a peanut thing going on too, oh my, the dry skin, the weight gain, the lethargy hit me like a ton of bricks....Soy and something in the peanut(I totally can't remember now) blocks uptake...so here I am takiung my meds and feeling just horrible. So, after finding that out, I stay away from soy products and limit peanut products. I am sure I just over did it, but I don't want anything to cause me to ever feel like that again.

Anyway, if you are meds and still feeling the effects of it, it is not under control...demand the dr give you a full thyroid panel test and ask him to SHOW you were you fall in the "range". If you are at the lower end then ask him to bump you and test in 6wks to see where you are then because you don't feel well. There is no reason to feel any of the hypothyroidism symptoms.

Wow... just wow!!! I am so glad I took the time to read through this thread and see your response to this! I am almost Hyperthyroid according to my TSH testing, but my Free T3 is very low, so I am on Armour Thyroid to help with that. Took me YEARS to find a dr who looked at the bigger picture and realized that I had hypothyroid symptoms even though my TSH levels looked fine. My condition is called Wilson's Syndrome, or low T3 Syndrome. When I'm not on thyroid pills the difference is HUGE! But lately, I've been feeling like the meds aren't working as well. A light bulb went off when I read your post... I have recently starting eating greek yogurt for breakfast (usually within 30 minutes or less of taking my Thyroid pill). So I am going to start making sure to not have any dairy for at least an hour and see what happens.

I also recently got a fitbit force that tracks all my daily activity and have come to realize that I burn way less calories than any of the TDEE/BMR calculators have me at (probably because of my thyroid issues). Even on my most active days when I get in 10,000 steps (about 5 miles of walking) and do a heavy weight workout, my TDEE comes out to just barely over 1,900 (and that was only one time). It's typically in the 1,800 - 1,850 range.

What the calculator has me at is:
    Note** I based my activity level on the fact that I lift heavy weights 3 days per week for an hour and I walk every day between 3 - 5 miles per day on average.

Moderate Activity: (3-5 hrs per week of moderate exercise)
    BMR: 1345
    TDEE: 2085
    15% Reduction: 1772

I use a heart rate monitor and Digifit app and have that linked to my Fitbit and then my Fitbit linked to MFP. All of these tools have shown me that even on my most strenuous workout days I'm not getting to the TDEE above. Most days I'm 1,800 - 1,850 (I've been as low as 1,300 when I was sick and didn't move around too much). And days when I just walk and don't get in as many steps (and don't get my weightlifting workout in) it can range anywhere from 1,350 to 1,600.

I had tried to keep it at around 1,600 calories per day and have not been losing anything. Just gaining and losing the same 3 pounds of water type weight. I've recently dropped it down to about 1,400 calories per day (sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less) and I'm finally starting to see the weight slowly drop down.

It's still very much a learning process for me!!

Oh, and to make things even more interesting and fun (NOT), I was diagnosed as Celiac four years ago and since going gluten free have found multiple other food allergies come up recently (most grains, mushrooms, peanuts, soy). Makes it fun to hit those macros! :-)
  • rimi_naushad
    rimi_naushad Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

This is Rimi and im 24 years old girl, and im pretty new to this eat more to lose more weight concept. I was readin ur conversation abt TDEE calculation and i dont knw anything abt it, but that Scooby TDEE calculator is sayin my BMR IS 1483 and TDEE si 2039, im tryin to lose weight and im takin 1000 cal or less per day to lose weight, so should i eat more? or less? and i do aerobics 20-30mins daily with 10mins cardio. should i change it?

pls help cause i really wanna be Slim :(
  • rimi_naushad
    Options
    TDEE 2039
    TDEE -15%

it means im supposed to eat 1733 calories a day?:noway:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    TDEE 2039
    TDEE -15%

it means im supposed to eat 1733 calories a day?:noway:

Yes, which is less than you burn, so you lose weight.

And it's a whole lot more than 1000 eating level, which may cause weight loss for awhile, but good amount of muscle mass since you are likely doing all 3 major things wrong to cause it to burn off - big deficit, not enough protein, no strength training.

So your plan of eating about 50% or less of what you burn daily hopefully jumps out and looks like not a good idea for sustained success, when you include maintaining the weight in there as a measure of success.

It won't be as fast as you desire - which is unreasonable anyway, but then again, you didn't gain it that fast either.

Read the forums for how many have had success losing 40-60, again, and again, and again.
    Some have gotten to point they are through with that, and some proudly proclaim they are doing exactly what they did the last 4 times so they expect success again.
  • rimi_naushad
    Options
    Then what should i do? :ohwell:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Then what should i do? :ohwell:

Well, the opposite of the 3 things I stated will burn muscle mass in post above.

And either the spreadsheet or the rough numbers you've already done along with protein recommendations.
  • tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later.