New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Nikki, welcome back!

Sorry to learn of the health issues you've faced associated with uncontrolled diabetes. You've got a great attitude though by taking back control over this condition by it's horns 24/7 moving forward now as best you can. You certainly have been given a lot on life's plate.

I've been where you were, taking my meds-and not testing-and then not taking my meds or not testing either as often as I should have. I've also had the experience of diabetic burnout episodes over the years oftentimes associated living with this condition.

I suspect you'll find much better and tighter blood sugar controls by utilizing your new Humalog/Lantus therapies along with finding your insulin (I:C) to carb ratios, to meet your new diabetes management and lifestyle goals, offering you more flexibility.

I've found this book below, available in Kindle and Paperback format to be very informative and helpful, with easy to understand examples on how to calculate safe and effective bolus and basal dosing, in addition to it's other helpful information to be very beneficial.

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Insulin-Completely/dp/0738215147

I'm currently treating this T2D condition we share-with Met 2x/day too, along with Novolog mealtime and Lantus Flexpens, in addition to a lower carb meal plan including an weekly exercise routine.

It's great you're logging again too, using this powerful program and it's beneficial tools too to help you get to where you want to be.

I welcome the opportunity to help you whenever possible and look forward to your contributions to this very knowledgeable, encouraging and friendly support group.

Best wishes towards your success (and) good health!:drinker:

Bob
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You'll quickly find this group to be very knowledgeable, supportive and friendly-eager to share their experiences on what works for them and what doesn't-while reaching towards our goals.

Thanks for the welcome Bob! It seems like a great group!
  • mrmom5405
    mrmom5405 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi everyone. I was diagnosed with T2 on Feb. 24,2014. I'm in the process of trying to get my numbers under control and learning how to count carbs and be on an eating schedule.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Welcome mrmom:drinker:

The MFP program is a fantastic tool for helping us to adopt healthier lifestyle changes-leading to healthy and active lives. The good news is that this powerful program-when applied correctly really does work. It requires the honest logging of everything we eat-and as a result It also requires patience too.

Many of us in this group can identify with the range of emotions we experience on first being diagnosed with persistence and determination. Take a deep breath and take time to read over the various thread topics and get a feel for the site. When you're ready and feel comfortable enough to ask questions, you will find lots of genuinely friendly people within this group who will be more than willing to share their experiences and offer you their encouragement and support.

Some using this program find the default carbohydrate macro calculated to be on the higher side when initially entering our nutritional goals. These values can be customized to meet your goals. By going to>goals>change goals>custom-you can change the macro percentages to fit your needs.

I wish you well on your journey to a healthy and active life. :drinker:
  • davidgaia
    davidgaia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes back in 2008, after a brief attempt at reversal in 2011, and lots of denial I am now actively engaged in monitoring my health, losing weight and gaining back the fitness I have lost over the years. I am finding tracking a really useful activity and motivational. I also have high blood pressure. Since the new year I have lost over 2 stone, and having had a blood sugar fiasco at the end of last year, have got my levels down to around 5mmol using diet and metformin to control. I have had to reduce some of my blood pressure medication too, which is a bonus and hope that down the line I may well be able to control my health through diet and fitness, rather than relying on pharma. I love to log! Since starting using myfitnesspal i've lost 9kg

57462952.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi davidgala, Welcome!:drinker:

It's great you're actively engaged and taking control over your diabetes condition now, by overcoming your denial, and making the necessary changes needed to manage a diagnosis of T2 diabetes more successfully. Congrats on your weight loss in addition to your finding the need to reduce your BP medications too, as a result of your progress. A definite bonus to be sure!

The myfitnesspal program is truly a powerful program tool, when applied honestly and correctly, evidenced by the countless wonderful successes stories. I am indeed one of those individuals positively impacted as a result of using this program.

Wishing you the same success I've enjoyed and good health.

I also welcome any opportunity whenever possible to help you reach your goals.
  • 5LilMonkeys
    Options
    My name is Jamie and I'm 40. I was diagnosed last Wednesday with T2. I suspected for awhile but was in denial. I had gestational diabetes with my last 2 children. I have tried and tried over the years to lose weight and just never succeeded.

I am on 500mg of metformin 2x a day. I get diabetic counseling next week then see a nutritionist the week after. Since starting metformin last week I've already lost 6lbs. I haven't received my meter yet but I am suppose to start out testing once a day at different times to see when my numbers are worst. I'm looking forward to getting some support in this journey. :)
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Welcome Jamie, nice to meet you!

It's great you've scheduled a diabetic counseling session next week along with seeking out the help of a nutritionist too,as many newly diagnosed with a condition of diabetes find them to be beneficial.

Many of us in this group can identify with the range of emotions experienced when initially being diagnosed with persistence and determination. Take a deep breath and take time to read over the various threads and get a feel for the site. When you're ready to ask questions, you will find lots of genuine people within this group who will be more than willing to share their experiences and to offer you their encouragement and support.

You already know from your own experience how important it is to gain a good level of control over your managing blood sugars.

Diabetes is a very individual 24/7 condition which makes it very frustrating, and each of us has to work out what does or won’t work for us, by testing our blood sugars-before and 2hrs after meals- to learn what effects if any the choice we've made are within acceptable ranges for us to achieve our management goals. This takes time and patience.

The good news is that this powerful program-when applied correctly really does work. It requires the honest logging of everything we eat-and as a result It also requires patience.

I welcome the opportunity to be of help whenever possible.

Best Wishes, Bob.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Amber. I've been a type 2 diabetic for almost 6 years (diagnosed at 31). I also have high blood pressure, but everything is controlled with diet, exercise and medication, for the time being. I take Humulin N for the diabetes, and Metformin to try to spark some semblance of ovulation (no luck yet).

My time on MFP has awarded me with a 20lbs loss, but I'm still 16lbs up from a previous 50lbs loss. We've been trying to conceive for the last 6 years. Immediately after we started, I was diagnosed, so it's been an emotional whirlwind. Not so much with being diagnosed, but with not being able to conceive as quickly as I'd hoped. Diabetes, both Type 1 & 2, runs rampant in my mom's side of the family.

I do recommend the eduation classes to anyone newly diagnosed or to someone who was diagnosed many years ago. My endocrinologist at the time couldn't have cared less about me, and didn't send me for a class for 6 months. It was extremely difficult to control my blood sugar in the beginning. It wasn't until I took the classes that I really made a difference in my A1Cs.

I've gone from a 9.5 to a 5.7 (as of Monday). :drinker:
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Welcome Amber!

It's great your finding success using this very powerful and helpful tool-to help track your food choices-in addition to, the very commendable improvements you've made to your blood sugar control. Not an easy task to be sure. It's always great to hear from others living with this condition-on what's been working-and not-for each of us. Nicely done!

Unfortunately, I hear all to often from others who share the same experiences you describe having with your endo and other healthcare providers. I firmly believe It's only through support groups like this, and other online diabetic support communities do we get a better understanding of what it takes to successfully manage a condition like diabetes safely.

Best wishes for your continued success, along with my prayers in accomplishing your pregnancy and conception goals too.

Good luck!
  • brandielowry
    brandielowry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. Was diagnosed type 2 last year 2013, and put on janumet. According to my doctor, I need to change my eating habits and have a daily exercise routine.

---Brandie
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Brandie, Welcome!

I'm glad you've made the decision to join us. It's through sharing our experiences, support and encouragement with others in this community that we quickly learn, we don't stand alone in our struggles to manage an oftentimes frustrating and puzzling condition like T2 diabetes.

Changing old habits and adopting new habits, isn't an easy task. It requires determination, persistence and patience-realizing that, perfection doesn't exist. Any improvements we make for ourselves towards our goals each day-one day at a time-is what truly counts.

You'll quickly find this support group genuinely supportive, encouraging and knowledgeable-eager to share their experience on what works-and hasn't worked in the past. Each of us is unique in our approach to treating and managing this condition.

Best wishes for success on your journey to improved health.

You've got this!

Bob
  • CarrieAnnH14
    CarrieAnnH14 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Carrie. I am a happily married mama to a 10 yr old girl. I have been struggling with my type 2 diabetes for years. I have taken glyburide for almost a year twice a day. Last month (after an a1c of 13) I was put on 15 units of lantus every night, as well as my glyburide twice a day. I joined my fitness pal last week to help keep me accountable. Over the past month I have lost about 12 pounds. I want to lose 30 to 40 more.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself.
  • 52dave62
    52dave62 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi, my name is Dave, I am 52 and just got the phone call 2 days ago that my A1c indicated that I had T2, and that doctor wanted me to take Metaforin 2x a day. I first looked up the drug, then looked up what my A1c reading should read because the phone nurse had told me it was 6.5% and it needs to be closer to 6%.
    Now that I was armed with the knowledge of how the A1c test revealed my glucose levels over the past 12 weeks, and also knowing the eating and lifestyle habits I have had during the Winter that will not stop, I made the executive decision NOT to get the medicine, and started to study how to reverse what had done. I am not sure what the doctor will think of my decision, he may fire me, but, if there is any way to correct my numbers without taking Metaforin or any pharmecuetical that has side effects, then lets try that first, April 11 the doctor will learn of my plan.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi. My name is Carrie. I am a happily married mama to a 10 yr old girl. I have been struggling with my type 2 diabetes for years. I have taken glyburide for almost a year twice a day. Last month (after an a1c of 13) I was put on 15 units of lantus every night, as well as my glyburide twice a day. I joined my fitness pal last week to help keep me accountable. Over the past month I have lost about 12 pounds. I want to lose 30 to 40 more.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself.

Hi Carrie, you've made a great decision by joining MFP to help you accomplish and adopt healthier lifestyle habits by using this powerful program to help you meet your goals. In doing so, this also requires determination, patience and persistence.

Living with my condition of T2D for 30+ years, I too have struggled at times, and still do, to find the right balance of nutrition and exercise to help me achieve and accomplish my blood sugar management goals .

The good news is, by using this program consistently, honestly and correctly, when combined with testing 2hrs. after meals to learn the effects of the food choices I've made if any towards my blood sugar target goals, resulted in significant improvements to my A1C lab results and overall health and wellness goals too.

This T2 diabetes support group you'll quickly find is very knowledgeable, supportive and encouraging eager to share their real time experience in their effort to help others in this community living with this condition.

Wishing you the same success I've enjoyed by using this program and welcome the opportunity to help you whenever possible.

Bob
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi, my name is Dave, I am 52 and just got the phone call 2 days ago that my A1c indicated that I had T2, and that doctor wanted me to take Metaforin 2x a day. I first looked up the drug, then looked up what my A1c reading should read because the phone nurse had told me it was 6.5% and it needs to be closer to 6%.
    Now that I was armed with the knowledge of how the A1c test revealed my glucose levels over the past 12 weeks, and also knowing the eating and lifestyle habits I have had during the Winter that will not stop, I made the executive decision NOT to get the medicine, and started to study how to reverse what had done. I am not sure what the doctor will think of my decision, he may fire me, but, if there is any way to correct my numbers without taking Metaforin or any pharmecuetical that has side effects, then lets try that first, April 11 the doctor will learn of my plan.

Welcome Dave!

There are countless people when initially diagnosed who choose to take an approach in controlling their diabetes condition by reducing their carbohydrate consumption along with adopting regular exercise habits without the help of diabetes medications successfully.

Oftentimes for many with this condition we just can't do it with diet and exercise alone, and need the help of diabetes medications, and there's no shame in that.

The good news is by moving forward now with the knowledge of your diagnosis-you can start by taking some steps towards healthier lifestyle goals for yourself. The myfitnesspal program is a great tool to help you set and accomplish your nutritional goals by tracking and reducing your carbohydrates.

Another helpful and powerful online resource tool for you to check out is bloodsugar101.com.

I encourage you to discuss any questions or concerns you have along with your approach with your healthcare provider during your next visit, asking for a prescription for blood sugar meter and testing strips if you aren't already using one.

This is a wonderful community eager to help and see you succeed as you move forward.

Best of luck!

Bob
  • tldiet
    tldiet Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My name is Tamara and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 5 years ago. Managed pretty well until about a year ago when all heck broke loose. Sugar levels all over the place, added lantus and not meal time insulin. I want off of them both! And will find the way. I would appreciate any and all suggestions on snacks without carbs. Only so many ways to eat lettuce :). Goal is 50 lbs by my 50th birthday 9 mos from now
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would appreciate any and all suggestions on snacks without carbs.

Hi Tamara,

I eat cheese, almonds, nori, hummus & low carb pita for snacks. I want to get off my metformin if possible. So, I totally understand your goal. Good luck!

Kerri
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Tamara. Welcome!

I've been where your at many times over the years living with T2D, this condition is so oftentimes very frustrating and it requires patience. I like your attitude though in "finding a way to make it work."

This link below might offer you some snack ideas that might work for you by testing these choices against your meter.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/food-tips/snacks.html

Best wishes accomplishing your 50 by 50 goals!
  • TNunraveler
    TNunraveler Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi -- new member here. My name is LeAnn. I am 47 and was diagnosed last November. After being pre-diabetic for a year or so, I finally went over the edge. The dr. put me on 500 mg Metformin once every morning, told me to lose some weight, and scheduled me for a followup appointment in May. He did not have me monitor my blood sugar. I was a bit on again, off again about taking my meds and did not change my eating habits (carb-loving sugar addict). I was in major denial.

Last month, after a wellness screening at work showed my fasting blood glucose level at 185, I "woke up". A friend gave me a monitor, I ordered strips and lancets (what did we do before Amazon?), and have been checking my morning fasting levels for the last few weeks. I've been logging my food into MFP and have given up sugar (except for the occasional coffee creamer or breath mint) and am at Day 25 of those 2 changes. My levels are still high. Today was the lowest level I've monitored, and it was still very high - 173. Frustrating.

I'm trying to make small changes here and there. If I try to change everything at once, I know I'm setting myself up for failure. I'm slowly reducing my bread intake, switching over to whole grains, trying to eat more vegetables, and drinking lots of water instead of diet sodas, and, this week, I've returned to an exercise class that I had dropped out of and starting using a FitBit.

So...that's about it. Sorry for the ramble.