Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

Options

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Do wish I had found this group earlier but its never too late

So from these calculations, using my total body weight of 181 lbs and approximately 26% BF my macros should be:

Protein: 1 x 181 CW x .74 (LBM) = 134g x 4 calories = 536 calories dividied by 1700 (calories target) =31% (rounded to 30%)
    Fat: 0.35 x 181 = 63.35g x 9 calories =570 calories divided by 1700 = 34% (rounded to 35%)
    Carbs: balance of 35%

So set the macro's to 35/30/35 and see how I get on

As a plus this looks like it will enable a higher cheese ratio on a given day :-)

Is your calorie target including exercise calories or do you add that to it?

I use the MFP NEAT system and eat back calories burnt. I use an HRM and then net them based on the fact that I would still be burning if I wasn't exercising.

I lose pretty consistently around the 1 lb per week (current target) this way. I do 20 mins cardio and 30-40 mins weights (dumbbells) 3 times a week but know I should increase this.

Wasn't surprised that my calories were low because I do live a pretty much sedentary lifestyle because I drive for 8 - 10 hours per day
  • eia2088
    eia2088 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful I found this forum. Following the OP's TDEE and Macro calculations, I got:

TDEE: 1700cals/day
    My current weight is 103lbs.
    I workout 2 to 3x a week (HIIT and weights), but I just started 2 months ago, and I lost 5lbs then. I eat clean like 80% of the time. I make sure I get enough Protein, and monitor my carbs. I set MFP to 1200 cals a day but I dont stress myself if I go over a few. I also eat my exercise back. Problem is I don't know my body fat percentage. I have a small frame (5'1" and 25 yrs old), a lot of people's telling me that I'm too skinny but I still have fats around my thighs, arms and most specially my mid section. If it would help, leggings from Abercrombie kids would fit me(probably the largest size) and for adult size I usually get size 2 for jeans and XS for tops. I have seen some gains since I started lifting weights, I'm more toned now (but i want more lean gains so I dont look like Im a 25 yr old girl locked in a body of a 16 yr old) and I'm aiming to work on my abs. I do have "morning abs" most of the time (when I eat healthier) but it disappears after my first heavy meal, so I think I still have to lower my BF%.

My questions are:
    -Should I still do caloric deficit so I can lower my BF%? I'm scared I'll be too skinny and also, I've read that trying to gain muscles while in a caloric deficit isn't such a good idea. Im scared to go caloric surplus to get more lean gains but I am thinking about doing a maintenance.
    -do i still lose BF% in my mid section if I do caloric maintenance and works out like 3x a week?

Couple of things.

- a lot of peoples abs kind of disappear towards the evening after they have eaten, I know mine do.(which is why my head is cut off half the time in my pics...I usually take pics first thing in the morning and nobody wants to see my face when I have just woken up!)

- if I were you I would eat at maintenance and recomp . It's slower than bulking, but you do not gain fat that way - you basically lose fat and gain muscle. Also, depending on how long you have been lifting for, you can make newb gains, so it may be quicker than people who have been lifting for longer.

Thanks a lot. I've started the maintenance calories 2 weeks ago, and eating 1700 calories a day made me stronger and healthier compared to the days where I use to eat 1200. I still lift 3-4x a week and incorporate cardio every now and then during these "lifting days". I gained 2-3lbs in the past 2 weeks and now weighing 105lbs. Should I be alarmed?

And one more thing, I don't record any exercise or workouts on MFP, because someone told me that I don't have to eat back the calories I burned from exercise since 1700 is the estimated caloric intake based on my activity level, so I stick with 1700 with or without exercise. Is that right?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

So from these calculations, using my total body weight of 181 lbs and approximately 26% BF my macros should be:

Protein: 1 x 181 CW x .74 (LBM) = 134g x 4 calories = 536 calories dividied by 1700 (calories target) =31% (rounded to 30%)
    Fat: 0.35 x 181 = 63.35g x 9 calories =570 calories divided by 1700 = 34% (rounded to 35%)

As a plus this looks like it will enable a higher cheese ratio on a given day :-)

I use the MFP NEAT system and eat back calories burnt. I use an HRM and then net them based on the fact that I would still be burning if I wasn't exercising.

I lose pretty consistently around the 1 lb per week (current target) this way. I do 20 mins cardio and 30-40 mins weights (dumbbells) 3 times a week but know I should increase this.

Wasn't surprised that my calories were low because I do live a pretty much sedentary lifestyle because I drive for 8 - 10 hours per day

Is the 1,700 including the exercise cals you eat back or are they on top of that?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am so grateful I found this forum. Following the OP's TDEE and Macro calculations, I got:

TDEE: 1700cals/day
    My current weight is 103lbs.
    I workout 2 to 3x a week (HIIT and weights), but I just started 2 months ago, and I lost 5lbs then. I eat clean like 80% of the time. I make sure I get enough Protein, and monitor my carbs. I set MFP to 1200 cals a day but I dont stress myself if I go over a few. I also eat my exercise back. Problem is I don't know my body fat percentage. I have a small frame (5'1" and 25 yrs old), a lot of people's telling me that I'm too skinny but I still have fats around my thighs, arms and most specially my mid section. If it would help, leggings from Abercrombie kids would fit me(probably the largest size) and for adult size I usually get size 2 for jeans and XS for tops. I have seen some gains since I started lifting weights, I'm more toned now (but i want more lean gains so I dont look like Im a 25 yr old girl locked in a body of a 16 yr old) and I'm aiming to work on my abs. I do have "morning abs" most of the time (when I eat healthier) but it disappears after my first heavy meal, so I think I still have to lower my BF%.

My questions are:
    -Should I still do caloric deficit so I can lower my BF%? I'm scared I'll be too skinny and also, I've read that trying to gain muscles while in a caloric deficit isn't such a good idea. Im scared to go caloric surplus to get more lean gains but I am thinking about doing a maintenance.
    -do i still lose BF% in my mid section if I do caloric maintenance and works out like 3x a week?

Couple of things.

- a lot of peoples abs kind of disappear towards the evening after they have eaten, I know mine do.(which is why my head is cut off half the time in my pics...I usually take pics first thing in the morning and nobody wants to see my face when I have just woken up!)

- if I were you I would eat at maintenance and recomp . It's slower than bulking, but you do not gain fat that way - you basically lose fat and gain muscle. Also, depending on how long you have been lifting for, you can make newb gains, so it may be quicker than people who have been lifting for longer.

Thanks a lot. I've started the maintenance calories 2 weeks ago, and eating 1700 calories a day made me stronger and healthier compared to the days where I use to eat 1200. I still lift 3-4x a week and incorporate cardio every now and then during these "lifting days". I gained 2-3lbs in the past 2 weeks and now weighing 105lbs. Should I be alarmed?

And one more thing, I don't record any exercise or workouts on MFP, because someone told me that I don't have to eat back the calories I burned from exercise since 1700 is the estimated caloric intake based on my activity level, so I stick with 1700 with or without exercise. Is that right?

2lb is nothing to worry about at the moment. When you up your calories you can drop some weight (as your body may release some water it has been retaining due to low cals) or, just as likely, you can gain a little due to more food weight as well as higher carbs (carbs increase water weight). I would give it a few more weeks and look at the trend. Then adjust accordingly.

Re exercise calories - this should help: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • heathereve2102
    heathereve2102 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi looking for some help setting my calorie and macro target.

I started using MFP generated recommended calorie intake of 1200 but thought this was a bit low so used the scooby website to estimate my TDEE (1966) and BMR (1429) and upped my calories target to 1400 but is this still too low? i am not eating back any of the exercise calories as they are factored into the TDEE.

On the macros was again using the MFP generated suggestions of 50%carb, 30% fat and 20%protein. I thought this was too much fat so recently changed it to 50%carb, 25% fat, 25% protein. However scooby website suggests 45%carb, 35%protein, 20%fat. So now i'm a bit confused. I have just started the stronglifts programme so think I should be eating more protein but is 35% too much?

I'm 5ft3, 145 lbs. Don't know an accurate body fat percentage but the tape measure method gives me 30%+.

Sorry for all the questions!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi looking for some help setting my calorie and macro target.

I started using MFP generated recommended calorie intake of 1200 but thought this was a bit low so used the scooby website to estimate my TDEE (1966) and BMR (1429) and upped my calories target to 1400 but is this still too low? i am not eating back any of the exercise calories as they are factored into the TDEE.

On the macros was again using the MFP generated suggestions of 50%carb, 30% fat and 20%protein. I thought this was too much fat so recently changed it to 50%carb, 25% fat, 25% protein. However scooby website suggests 45%carb, 35%protein, 20%fat. So now i'm a bit confused. I have just started the stronglifts programme so think I should be eating more protein but is 35% too much?

I'm 5ft3, 145 lbs. Don't know an accurate body fat percentage but the tape measure method gives me 30%+.

Sorry for all the questions!

Hi! The post walks through how to set them. Was there part of it you were confused about or have questions about?
  • heathereve2102
    Options
    Hi, was just looking to check if my figures looked in the right ball park. Have went back and got the working out so does this seem reasonable? I would try this for 4-6 weeks and then review my TDEE as you suggested when I have some records to track.

TDEE using 2 calculators averages about 1800 (BMR around 1450) so using a 20% cut my calories per day should be 1500

LBM (using 30% body fat but this is maybe not very accurate for 145lbs current weight) would be 101.5 so I should have 101.5g of protein. 101.5 * 4 = 406 /1500 = 27%protein

Fat: 0.35 x 145 = 50.75g of fat. 50.75 * 4 = 203 /1500 = 13.5% rounded up to 14%

So then I have 59% of carbs

Basically my questions are
    Is my maths right?
    Will using a possibly inaccurate bodyfat % mess up my numbers a lot (I have ordered calipers so should be able to get a slightly more accurate % soon)?
    I know you said the protein and fat % were a minimum and you could adjust according to preference but how far over the minimum would you go?

Thanks
  • ChrisM8971
    Options

Is the 1,700 including the exercise cals you eat back or are they on top of that?

Sorry I completely missed this response

1,700 is my base calories and I eat back whatever I gain from exercise so am eating anything from 1900 to 2200 on exercise days
  • rachelguy
    rachelguy Posts: 24
    Options
    really helpful post! bump!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

1,700 is my base calories and I eat back whatever I gain from exercise so am eating anything from 1900 to 2200 on exercise days

My response was really late so you responded pretty quickly after I posted.

That makes more sense re your calorie levels. Your math looks good. I would use the 'extra' calories from your exercise for primarily carbs, but also to nudge up your protein a bit more to nearer 150 - 160g, depending on your appetite, energy and how much your have to play with.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi, was just looking to check if my figures looked in the right ball park. Have went back and got the working out so does this seem reasonable? I would try this for 4-6 weeks and then review my TDEE as you suggested when I have some records to track.

TDEE using 2 calculators averages about 1800 (BMR around 1450) so using a 20% cut my calories per day should be 1500

LBM (using 30% body fat but this is maybe not very accurate for 145lbs current weight) would be 101.5 so I should have 101.5g of protein. 101.5 * 4 = 406 /1500 = 27%protein

Fat: 0.35 x 145 = 50.75g of fat. 50.75 * 4 = 203 /1500 = 13.5% rounded up to 14%

So then I have 59% of carbs

Basically my questions are
    Is my maths right?
    Will using a possibly inaccurate bodyfat % mess up my numbers a lot (I have ordered calipers so should be able to get a slightly more accurate % soon)?
    I know you said the protein and fat % were a minimum and you could adjust according to preference but how far over the minimum would you go?

Thanks

What activity level are you picking for the TDEE calculation and how much exercise do you do?
  • heathereve2102
    Options
    Hi, I'm picking the light activity (1-3 hours exercise per week).

I have a desk job. Per week i do approx: 1 hour yoga, 3 weight lifting sessions (stronglifts 5x5) with 15-20mins of cardio (usually on the treadmill), swim 1k once or twice a week.

I realised I wrote the average TDEE wrong in the original post - should have 1900 not 1800 (typing too fast!),
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi, I'm picking the light activity (1-3 hours exercise per week).

I have a desk job. Per week i do approx: 1 hour yoga, 3 weight lifting sessions (stronglifts 5x5) with 15-20mins of cardio (usually on the treadmill), swim 1k once or twice a week.

I realised I wrote the average TDEE wrong in the original post - should have 1900 not 1800 (typing too fast!),

Math looks good.

I would round your protein up to 110g as a 'just in case'.
  • heathereve2102
    Options
    Thanks. I've rounded protein up to 30% and given myself 50% carbs and 20% fat (although will aim for a bit less fat and a bit more carbs). Will try this for a few weeks and see how I'm getting on.
  • ChrisM8971
    Options

My response was really late so you responded pretty quickly after I posted.

That makes more sense re your calorie levels. Your math looks good. I would use the 'extra' calories from your exercise for primarily carbs, but also to nudge up your protein a bit more to nearer 150 - 160g, depending on your appetite, energy and how much your have to play with.

Thanks for that, sometimes the spare calories go on a glass of wine but have bought some protein powder and will try and up the protein while spending the extra on carbs.

Thanks again for your help
  • icastro25
    icastro25 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • 1fitnessplanner
    1fitnessplanner Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to check my workings :) hope that's ok
    I've used the scooby workshop link and get a BMR of 1575 so that's what i have set my calorie goal in MFP to
    i also have bf% scales that say i am 40%bf I've used the tape methods too but know they are pretty inaccurate
    I've used the macro calculators you have set out and get 25% protein 25% fat and the rest carbs so 40%

i workout 6 days a week with Sundays as rest days and weds as single workout days i net 1000 on double workout days and 1800 on rest days and burn 500-1000calories in exercise cals.

By putting 1575 as my calorie goal and logging my exercise as then eating goal and 50% exercise calories with those macro % should that get me about where i aim to be?
    I'm 162cms, 26yo, 172lbs, apparently 40%bf, bmi 29, waist 83cm neck 33.7cm, hips 97cm and my diary is open but all over the place this past month while i work things out
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bookmark :)
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    bump for reference