Introduce yourself - again

Options

Replies

• phernb
    phernb Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I'm Abby and I just joined about a week ago. Starting this journey again and looking for support from people who understand! I am really happy to have found this group!
  • TransformationOfADIVA
    Options
    Good morning!! I have been in the group a while but haven't participated as much as I should. One of my goals for 2014 is to participate more in challenges/groups. I have been on my journey for 2 years and I have lost and regained the whole time to the point I am now at my highest weight. As I entered into 2014, I have decided to stop going down and then back up and to just keep the scale and inches going down until I reach my goal.

SW/CW 331.6
    GW 150-180lbs
    Steps to achieve goals

1. Eat as clean as possible
    2. One meatless day a week
    3. 70-100 oz of water a day
    4. Workout a minimum of 4 times a week
    5. Stay under daily calorie goal (currently 2000)
  • eastbayj23
    eastbayj23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    HI all I'm Justin I live in the Des Moines, IA area. I am 32 and currently in the middle of a yo yo situation:(. I knew I was gaining the weight back when my new clothes started to fit a little to close. I told my self the lie about them shrinking in the dryer... I knew. I've been off the wagon and now I'm joining this group for some encouragement to help me back on and stay there. Feel free to friend me.
  • jade1960
    jade1960 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello All, new to group:smile:
  • LLTnFFT
    Options
    Hello, My name is Joleen. I joined MFP about two years ago, but just started using it again about two weeks ago. I live in Washington with my husband and two children (6 and 15). I recently decided to start going to the gym and began eating better. It is exciting because I have already lost some weight! Can I say though, who ever said working out gives you more energy, forgot to mentioned how exhausted you would be at first. I AM TIRED!!
  • TeriSueWest
    TeriSueWest Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is my first introduction. I was introduced to this site by my daughter in late 2011 when hubby had a heart attack and 5 bypasses. I had been over 300 lbs for 27 years. I worked at changing our diet and lost about 40 lbs but we fell back into our old ways and I gained about 15 back. In August 2012 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. That alone took pounds off of me because I was so upset I had to make myself eat. 2 weeks later, I was hospitalized for internal bleeding. It took a week to find the source and I was only allowed ice chips because of all of the tests and procedures. I had to have a small bowl resection and was in there for almost 3 weeks. That took another 20 or so off. 5 weeks later, I had the mastectomy which had been delayed. That was followed by another couple of months of Dr. Visits and tests. I chose not to have chemo because the benefit was very low so I am taking an aromatase inhibitor which prevents the uptake and production of estrogen. In May of last year I had yet another surgery, hysterectomy, because I had a mass on my ovary that could not be tested for cancer cells. Fortunately, it was benign. In October I was cancer free for one year and still am, as far as it is possible to know.
    I purchased and read "Intuitive Eating" about a year ago and have found it helpful. 1 year ago I began a walking program to prepare for the local Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K and lost weight slowly but steadily until October. I broke my foot and had to stop walking. The foot has been slow to heal and I gained about 20 lbs over the winter.
    I am now back in shoes but can't walk far without pain. I joined the Y in January and am working out 5 days a week, either in the water or on machines, about an hour a day, to try to build back my strength and lose weight. I have lost 5 lbs since joining but my strength is even slower. I can see and feel some difference and I always feel good after working out. I am diabetic and I had one day last week when my bgl dropped low and I didn't feel so good then, but that's rare.
    I do have one question. This app says that I burn really high amounts of calories but I don't see how that's possible. If it is accurate, I should be losing several pounds a week and it's more like 1 a week. My metabolized is crawling and it does not want to move. I am watching calories more closely although that is something Intuitive eating discourages. I guess I'm doing it to figure out exactly what my body actually uses and needs. Any thoughts out there?
  • meagan63
    meagan63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Megs from Queensland Australia here. I am 51yrs old and been on this wagon for a while! This week l started a four week strict program and have so much to lose sometimes it gets daunting. I lost five dress sizes and kept it off for two years but need to come down.. looking forward to chatting in different chats on here...blessings Megs :wink:
  • fayefaye1965
    Options
    Hello All,

I am restarting my journey. Need all the advise, help, and friend I can get. Feel very positive. I will do it.
  • fayefaye1965
    Options
    Hello everyone

I am back with a new zeal. I am ready i nknew it was time to come back and be responsible. I got up to by havy 400 now I amd down to 390. I see now that you think you are bad off!!! But quitting will leave to worst numbers. I have a new zeal. I lost my sister so now I need as many weight loss positive people that want to be friend me. Los Angeles CA

:drinker:
  • twilightXsiren
    Options
    Hi everyone! Brand new to this group :) My name is Elizabeth and I'm 24. I live in Alberta, Canada and have been overweight my whole life. I have a boyfriend of 5 1/2 years who is not as supportive as I need him to be. I have many health problems because of my weight. I joined MFP a while ago but I'm really only now starting to take this losing weight thing serious. I hate the way I look and feel. I've noticed myself becoming sluggish and not motivated to do anything. I'm here to make a difference in my life and to become healthy for me.
  • XtoxicblueX
    Options
    Ive been big all my life and when i say big i mean big in my weight and height (Im 6ft tall) and ive tried to diet before but that never worked especially when i would try to just crash diet and eat some ridiculously small amount of calories and expect to lose 10 pounds overnight yeah as if its that easy :P but i have researched and try to understand what works for my body. Its not just about calories but everything else like carbs and proteins, ect. My weight even tho not drastic is coming off slowly but surely and i don't feel deprived of anything even though my diets not perfect I try :P so hopefully this will be the year im under 300 and close to 200 my main goal!!! Good luck too all, stay motivated!:3
  • mvotaw15
    mvotaw15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I just joined this group today. My name is Mandy, I'm 28 (almost 29), Live in Ohio, and I have been overweight for most of my life. About 2 1/2 years ago I lost around 60 pounds and was feeling great. However, within 18 months I lost three members on one side of my family (Grandfather, Uncle, Grandmother). I eventually ended up putting back on the weight and then some. My boyfriend and both of our families have been so supportive of me getting healthy. I was at the heaviest I had ever been (340 pounds...) the only people who know that number are myself and my doctor because I am so ashamed that I let myself get that far. Up until then, my highest was 305. Since December, I have lost 35 pounds and I am back down to 305.

I am on a doctor regulated program and the goal we have set right now is for me to get to 220. Anything after that would be a bonus as I don't intend to "quit" at 220. My ultimate goal would be to get 190. I have done a lot of research and of course all the talk on BMI and the noted healthy weights that go along with that. I am realistic, for my height 5'5 normal/healthy weight would be somewhere in the ball park of 111-150....I know I will most likely never get to that range, but I know I can get myself to a point where I am healthy and feel good.

I decided to go see a doctor (finally) back in December because I really needed to know if I had any underlying health problems because of my weight. Other than being unhealthy, I did not have anything else going on. I actually thought that I may have ended up with diabetes. Going to see my doctor was one of the best things I did and I know I have some one monitoring what I do on a monthly basis.

I know that I am close to being out of the 300's, but reading through the group I found that there was a lot of support and the fact is that we are all here for the same thing. I'm looking forward to picking up some tips and hopefully "meeting" some new people :)
  • CrescentEddy
    CrescentEddy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!

My name is Legion and I thought I'd say a quick hello! I'm new to this group and to MyFitnessPal, and looking to share with people on a similar journey of health and wellness. I'm also hoping to find support in the framework of the MFP website… 

A bit about me: I live in the NorthEast in a small but bright home, with my partner and cat. I enjoy board games, reading, spending time outdoors and home spa days. Currently I am learning how to draw, and am loving it! A true passion is style and fashion… I am lucky to be working as a creative director for a fashion brand for many years.

For the last 15 years, my weight has been steady at 250 pounds. I know that 250 is a heavy weight, however I was active with dancing, swimming and walking, socialized a lot, and was assessed to be in very good health by my doctor. I made the most of my life, felt beautiful, overcame many barriers that might normally hold back a "plus size" person, and achieved many goals in my personal and professional life.

However, over the last year and now age 38, I have reached 300 pounds, and am finding that some new physical and mental health challenges have come with the extra weight. I'm really concerned about these new difficulties and realize that I need to bring my weight down to have more wellness and zest back in my life. These days it seems hard to do...

In particular, I've become very sedentary. I've developed some asthma and am frequently very short of breath. Aching knees, skin and reach issues require daily care. Sleeping at night is never restful. Intimacy is less present. I've been trying to deal with depression and anxiety. My job has always been demanding, but with a promotion in the last year the pressure has increased and the stakes are higher. With the extra weight and lack of energy, I'm finding it hard to stay competitive. I've become more isolated, not wanting to go out and see my active friends in my spare time. Many of my clothes are becoming too small… Things really seem to have gone down hill.

My partner is very supportive and loving, and I have wonderful parents, and a pretty cool niece. My cat's pretty cuddly too ;) he's the perfect little guy to come home to.

I hope that this introduction tells you a little about me, and where I am at… and I look forward to hearing more about other people in this group.

Best to you all, and talk soon,
    Legion
  • KymSheree
    KymSheree Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

My name is Kym and I am from Gold Coast, Australia.. I myself have a lot to loose and even though I have been on this site for a while, I never realised that MFP is as supportive and offered as much until yesterday. Sad I know, but I started to really explore it and I have to say I love it... I would love any extra support especially from those who understand where I am coming from.. Please add and I look forward to talking with you all and going through this journey together.

:smile:
    11392831.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • garlenerains
    Options
    Hi Everybody

My name is Garlene. I am 53 years old and have been struggling with weight all of my life. This new journey to better health began really in April. I joined a gym and got a trainer and actually was successful losing about 31lbs over a 4 month period, starting having hip pain that really cut into my workouts. I was given my fitness pal through my trainer and have just started losing again. After 3 months of doctors telling me I was just fat and needed to lose weight I was diagnosed with a broken hip. Needless to say I was very pissed off and sat on my big white butt for another 3 months before I have again taken things into my own hands. I am almost back down to my weight with the trainer but I DO WANT to surpass that. I need the extra support with 300+ lbs to lose and that that entails. I am a nurse and should know better than to be this heavy but things just got out of CONTROL. As does life. I just started back at the same gym. My fracture was ruled stress fracture due to weight bearing exercise so I am in the pool until my weight is below 200lbs. Long way to go. I find it hard to get into the pool pushing my walker passed all these hurly, burly guys with my walker and then into the pool. Once I get pass that I can do this. Hope to heck I can continue.
    :wink: :smile: :wink:
  • CrescentEddy
    CrescentEddy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Garlenerains, Hi Kym,

I'm also new here and thought I'd say hello. My name is Legion and I live in Canada. Kym, I work with someone from Australia, so I'll be sure to apply the charming Aussie accent when reading your posts :) This is only my 3rd day on this site, but I'm glad that you are finding it a good place now. I hope that it will be for myself and all of us too!!

Garlenerains, So sorry to hear about your hip. I totally get what you mean about "pushing my walker passed all these hurly, burly guys" into the pool. I work in the fashion business, with the most slender, beautiful and well-dressed women imaginable. Going to work everyday is like walking into a fashion magazine. Literally. The bravery it takes for me to walk in there, chin up, at 300pounds… well, it takes a lot of personal power and bravery to convey: "I belong here as much as any of you do, I deserve to earn my living here as much as you do". Well, I think it takes a lot of personal strength to do what we do.

Have a great day guys, and hopefully we'll talk soon,
    Legion
  • Jaxxy_Fae
    Jaxxy_Fae Posts: 28
    Options
    I have been inactive for a while, but I am going to try... yet gain.

My name is Samantha and I live in Indiana. I am a writer and, as such, spend a great deal of time sitting on my butt all day long so I can get work done. Breaking up my day is hard for me because as soon as I distract myself with something else, I stop working on what I need to get done. Most of the activities I enjoy are incredibly sedentary, such as reading or writing or playing video games. I like to hike and camp, but that's hard to come by in the middle of a city.

I need motivation and support and don't find a lot of that living alone. My starting weight was 320 and current weight is 312.9. I really don't know where my goal weight should be just yet, but I am definitely hoping to get under the 200 mark.
  • arp314
    arp314 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello new friends

I joined MFP a week ago.. I am 33, a step mom of 2 and a teacher in Colorado. I like the idea of having friends who understand 100% what i am going through with my weight. . Please friend me!!!!
  • Stormykitty
    Stormykitty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am a real newbie just joined MFP 4/17/14. I am 51 5'7" 350lb with a goal of 175. I gained about 80lbs after I broke my neck in 1992 so hung out in the 260's for almost 20 years then by 2012 was 312 and from then to today 350. I may be somewhat challenged in the exercise portion as I will be utilizing a therapy pool twice a week. I hope in late May it is warm enough to open the town pool then I can utilize omg the unheated pool every day and 2x's week through rehab. Due to extensive nerve damage I hope to eventually be able to use resistance bands as I get stronger in addition to being able to walk more than very short distances. Pilease feel free to add me as age, gender and orientation are not issues with me. Thank you for having this group.
    (The photo is daughter and myself in 2010)
  • JoshDC1988
    JoshDC1988 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Josh. I'm 25, and I'm finally ready to drop this weight and get back into the social world rather than ducking my head at an intelligent conversation just because of my own insecurities. :happy: its nice to meet everyone. I just joined MFP a month ago and right now I'm actively searching for a gym to go to so I can start my journey still a bit fuzzy on the eating part though