April workout check in thread - aprilliant workouts here!

Options

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Squat 65kg 5x5
    HARD! Pretty bad form on the last set, definitely staying at 65kg for a while
    That's the weight and sentiment I felt on my Monday squats! Not sure if I'll be doing Workout A or water aerobics tonight (depends on my workout buddy), but if it's Workout A then I'm going to re-do 145lb squats again.

ETA: Workout buddy has just informed me that she is sick so tonight will be Workout A for me!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Great work ladies!

@krok and jstout, 6MPH is my average running pace as well, I must be crazy too!

@neon, way to get back into it, those numbers look great!

@randomtai, awesome PR!!

I was supposed to have a rest day last night, but I feel like my cardio has been lacking, so I did a 5km run. I finished 5.06 km in 31 minutes, which is a decent pace for me. I'm working to get below 30 min for my 5 km time. I was having a terrible time breathing my first 10 minutes, which is a signal to me that I need to run outside more lol.
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is crazy! :laugh:

Bench Day for me... hit a PR of 75 lbs. Did some accessory work for my shoulders. Hit 11:00/mi running/jogging. All in all great workout. :bigsmile:

the others maybe, but moi!? Tse! :-D

Awesome workout!
    @neon, way to get back into it, those numbers look great!

I was supposed to have a rest day last night, but I feel like my cardio has been lacking, so I did a 5km run. I finished 5.06 km in 31 minutes, which is a decent pace for me. I'm working to get below 30 min for my 5 km time. I was having a terrible time breathing my first 10 minutes, which is a signal to me that I need to run outside more lol.

thanks :-) I thought I would have had to deload way more and was pretty surprised how well it worked.

Yeah, the running. I started to go for a walk after work two days ago and it was really nice. But today my little one is sick :-( Are you running on a treadmill? I think with the weather becoming nicer it´s super cool outside. Or do you still have ****ty weather?

The crazy train is :laugh:
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Last night I did
    Squats 105 5x5 I really think that my form is starting to look better so I am moving back up.
    Overhead press 65 3,4,3,4,3 I kind of figured that I wouldn't get these. Next time I am going to try to assume that I will get all of them and see how much of that was mental.
    Deadlift 135 1x5 My first goal for deadlifts was to put those 45 plates on there so yay!
    I am excited to be progressing and can't wait to catch up with all of you awesome ladies. :happy:
  • bat3girl
    bat3girl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    so when I was doing my bench presses yesterday 50lb, on the 4th rep of each set my right shoulder/ arm couldn't push but my left arm still was fine. One of guy came over and spotted me and helped the weight off of me. (how embarrassing). should I switch to bands or dumbbells for a while, reload and try with a lesser weight next time or do some exercises to try to strengthen my right shoulder. I have an right shoulder injure from a few years, but did physical therapy and have been fine since. I can row equally with no problem.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    so when I was doing my bench presses yesterday 50lb, on the 4th rep of each set my right shoulder/ arm couldn't push but my left arm still was fine. One of guy came over and spotted me and helped the weight off of me. (how embarrassing). should I switch to bands or dumbbells for a while, reload and try with a lesser weight next time or do some exercises to try to strengthen my right shoulder. I have an right shoulder injure from a few years, but did physical therapy and have been fine since. I can row equally with no problem.

Keep to the bar. Your lagging shoulder will eventually catch up. In the mean time do some shoulder mobility exercises before the OHP and BP to make sure it's not just your range of motion that's limiting you. Also, make sure you load evenly. It,s happened to me before to accidentaly put a 5lbs on one side and a 10 on the other xD (that or grabbing 2 plates that aren,t exactly the same shape and finding out they really didn't weight the same). How close is your grip? Do you make sure to keep your elbows in at about 45 degrees?
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the running. I started to go for a walk after work two days ago and it was really nice. But today my little one is sick :-( Are you running on a treadmill? I think with the weather becoming nicer it´s super cool outside. Or do you still have ****ty weather?

Sorry to hear your little one is sick, I hope it's a fast recovery!

I run on a treadmill in the winter, but the run yesterday was outside. We're finally starting to get some nice weather, but I'll run outside in any temperature above -20C, provided that it's not icy. I hate falling and am totally accident prone, so I avoid it when I can :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Decent workout today...I'm just happy to be in the gym :happy:

Squat: 175 lbs. 4-4-3 I couldn't remember if I did 165 or 170 last time. I probably should've only done 170, but oh well.
    OHP: 65 lbs 3x5 not too bad.
    Deadlift: 225 lbs only 4 reps, but I feel confident that I'll get all of them on Monday

ETA: I could feel myself pitching forward on the last set of squats. Going to have to really pay attention to that. The first 2 sets, I felt good. Not sure what happened on that last set, though :grumble:
  • bat3girl
    Options
    [/quote]

Keep to the bar. Your lagging shoulder will eventually catch up. In the mean time do some shoulder mobility exercises before the OHP and BP to make sure it's not just your range of motion that's limiting you. Also, make sure you load evenly. It,s happened to me before to accidentaly put a 5lbs on one side and a 10 on the other xD (that or grabbing 2 plates that aren,t exactly the same shape and finding out they really didn't weight the same). How close is your grip? Do you make sure to keep your elbows in at about 45 degrees?
    [/quote]

Thank you so much for the advise, i will try again tomorrow. BTW today my cardio was heavy bag punching/ kicking for 35 minute, that gets my heart rate up, it very good cardio and fun.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah Dennie...nice DL

So workout B for me today...Yah DL day...but OHP...and if I don't get it this time...deload...but instead of working up I am going to increase my reps at my lower weights and see if that helps...otherwise it's time to move to 3x5...

And finally downloaded the SL 5x5 app on my phone...I like the graphs...

Squat (was all dependent on my leg which is so far good) warms ups 2x5@65, then 2x5@85 working weight @ 140 5x5 (will stay here for Friday just cause my leg was a bit iffy on the last two reps)

OHP warm ups 2x15, 1x35, 1x40 working weight @ 85 5x5....:drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker: I upped my rest between set 3/4 to 4:30 and then 5min between 4/5...man does this feel flucking awesome.....

DL @ 170 for the last time for form
    1x5 no issues here...still doing sumo tho as regluar stance bothers my leg...might deload and try regular ones tho over the weekend.

Have a great day ladies...
  • bat3girl
    Options
    Since this is April workout check in thread and :happy: today is the last day of April, is this thread open tomorrow or will a new May workout check in thread start ?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Since this is April workout check in thread and :happy: today is the last day of April, is this thread open tomorrow or will a new May workout check in thread start ?

There will be a May one, but I'll probably forget and post in the April one. :blushing:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advise, i will try again tomorrow. BTW today my cardio was heavy bag punching/ kicking for 35 minute, that gets my heart rate up, it very good cardio and fun.

Oh man do I know this to be truth.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Oh man do I know this to be truth.

I want to do this once I can get a pair of gloves. I tried bare knuckled and I think I bruised my knuckle. :laugh:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    First day of Stronglifts. :) Did Workout A all 5x5 then did 3 sets of split squats, 12 reps. I just did 45, 55, 55 for those. Then I ran splits for a mile, cooled down and got out of the gym. Was a bit nervous for my first day in weight room solo, but it was okay.

Had one minor -____- moment.

Me: *approaching a girl in squat rack after she finished her current set* "Hey, how many sets do you have in here?"

Her: "I just started."

Me: ......................................... "okay...so, do you know about how long it will be?"

Her: "Well...I just started, so probably a long time."

Me: "Okay then."

I left and went to another room at the gym where they have extra bars. Since I was just doing the bar weight I didn't make a big deal about it, just grabbed a bar, pressed it over my head and then into position for squats. After every set just put the bar down then picked it up for the next set.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Oh, also my rows looked so funny for a couple sets and then for the last 3 sets I found my groove. Got a nice neutral spine and rhythm going.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    So I decided to switch from 5x5 to 3x5 and add in some accessories. It went pretty good.
    Squat 3x5 140 lbs (so close to be)
    Bench 3x5 80 lbs
    Row 3x5 70 lbs

Lateral barbell lifts 3x8 20lbs
    Flys 3x8 10lbs
    One arm rows 3x8 25lbs

It was nice to change it up from the usual.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Whew! Last day of April, went out with a bang. Although I know my body here and I know I'm on the cusp of overtraining. But it was just one push for that crossfit training and now it's done and I can go to any class i feel like. Won,t be too often but it will happen! And hey, I cleaned up my clean technique and learned tricks to help with pull-ups so yay!

We did TGUs (Turkish get-ups) to start off. EVIL -_-' And some good mornings. Learned thrusters. KB Swings. Hand release push-ups and hanging swings with shrug and hip thrust. While the trainer was basically teaching us how to kip, the whole momentum training for someone like me who can't get a single pull-up was helpful!

Then the WOD was 20-15-10-5 of wall balls and push-ups. I tried to do as many as I could standard but had to resort to knees. I'm just too beat down right now.

We finished off with 3 rounds of 30s on10s rest of hollow holds and med ball twists.

Noteworthy that I went for a 1.5mile run at lunch break and while I wasn,t pushing the pace, my legs felt like lead coursed through them.

So that's 5 days in a row of relatively intensive activity here. Tomorrow is off. Friday might be run + yoga. Saturday I'm helping my mom move.

So I guess I'm starting the main program on either sunday or monday depending on how sore I am then! Wee!

BTW, to folks that have tight shoulders, this video might help! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y6Q2rq1XaQ
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Tonight's workout was not exactly phenomenal.
    - 5x5 squats @ 145lbs (did this weight last workout, going stay here for another 2 workouts)
    - 3x5 and 1x4 bench press @ 85lbs (was able to just barely finish this weight @ 5x5 last time, so figured I'd try it again and I had to do the roll of shame on the 4th rep of my 4th set)

I was exhausted after the benchpress struggle and disgusted with barbell at that point so I finished my workout with:
    Single-arm bent over dumbbell rows 5x5 @ 35lbs
    3x10 bench dips

I think I'm going to breakdown and buy a foam roller. My right glute & hamstring get pretty tight/crampy right after squats.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Krok and me on the crazy train ---

gif_troll_train.gif

Come join us! It's fun! There are lots of gifs!
    Too much awesomeness for just one train :drinker:
    I'm the one driving! :laugh: