Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I did W4D2 yesterday and still was able to add on 15 mins of extra walking. The 5 min run is killing me tho. I might stay on this week and keep tortchering myself until I can get the 5 mins down without wanting to die afterwards.
    Keep running, you're doing great. I felt like dying only when I kept my speed too high and once I slowed down, I got past the hurdle of moving on to 5-minute runs. Varda kept writing on every page to a zillion different people "Slow down! Keep slowing down!" and at first I didn't really think she was speaking to me, too, but once I tried that advice, it made the world of a difference. I'm still flustered and breathing heavily and looking like a mess these days, but it's so much easier when I keep my speed down.

yeahthat_zps5592cc84.gif
    If you feel like you want to die afterwards, you need to slow down!

And, if you can't run any slower (but you probably can), walk slower during the recovery periods. One guy successfully completed the program when he stopped and stretched during the "walk" intervals. I've used that tactic myself a number of times.

If you are running as slowly as you can and walking slowly, and the 5 minute runs are still killing you, then you might want to get checked out for exercise induced asthma.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have my sneakers!

W1D1 is done!!!!!!!!!!! Feels good. My roommate (an avid runner) went with me and gave me tips.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    W2D3 done! I thought I was only on day 2, so I was a bit surprised when I opened my app today. I felt kind of clumsy today, and caught myself shuffling my feet along the ground a bit. So as I was fixated on this I forgot about my breathing... That's when my breathing is at it's best, when I'm not thinking about it. When I do, I start to huff and puff. It was quite warm today and I was dripping sweat when I was done. (Oh, and I accidentally shut the app off and ran an extra minute on the 5th interval... I was like "this feels really long". )

I believe I'm ready for week 3 physically but my mind thinks otherwise. I wonder what kind of battle it will be, my mind can be stubbornly weak when it wants to. I was even fearing today a little bit but I did fine.
  • DJtrvl
    DJtrvl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So Monday this week I did w1d1 as I mentioned, and it went well. Yesterday tho,I awoke to really bad quad pain, to the point I had trouble going down stairs... Is this normal? I'm not sure I will be able to do d2 at this point unless the pain subsides a bit.
  • angf0679
    Options
    I'm thinking I need to get a new phone for my C25K app to accurately track. My GPS on my phone doesn't want to work right. During it yesterday at the 5 minute mark, I apparently was standing in one spot for 5 minutes. (I wasn't). I have RunKeeper as well, but didn't have that activated. My roommate did use RunKeeper and tagged me in her posting of it (she was with me and kept pace with me the whole time) and that brought the stats up and into my RunKeeper. That's where I get a BIG difference:

C25K (my phone) - - RunKeeper (tagged via roommates phone)
    115 Calories burned - - 205 calories burned
    1.44 miles - - 2.48 miles
    18:30 total time - - 39:00 total time
    20.14 average km/hr - - 6.15 average km/hr

That's such a HUGE difference between the two!

(My weight is 6lbs heaver on my RunKeeper then my C25K. I've tried updating my weight on RunKeeper and for whatever reason it won't do it.)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have my sneakers!

W1D1 is done!!!!!!!!!!! Feels good. My roommate (an avid runner) went with me and gave me tips.
    Fabulous! I can't tell you how much it would have helped me to have someone knowledgeable with me back when I started; motivation, running form, pace, and so much more. It's great.
    W2D3 done! I thought I was only on day 2, so I was a bit surprised when I opened my app today. I felt kind of clumsy today, and caught myself shuffling my feet along the ground a bit. So as I was fixated on this I forgot about my breathing... That's when my breathing is at it's best, when I'm not thinking about it. When I do, I start to huff and puff. It was quite warm today and I was dripping sweat when I was done. (Oh, and I accidentally shut the app off and ran an extra minute on the 5th interval... I was like "this feels really long". )

I believe I'm ready for week 3 physically but my mind thinks otherwise. I wonder what kind of battle it will be, my mind can be stubbornly weak when it wants to. I was even fearing today a little bit but I did fine.
    Don't wonder too much, if you're good at keeping slow enough a pace with not too much huffing and puffing as you said yourself, I'm sure you can be successful in week 3, too. Sometimes it's a good thing to be taken by surprise, in particular if we have a tendency to overanalyse things :)
    So Monday this week I did w1d1 as I mentioned, and it went well. Yesterday tho,I awoke to really bad quad pain, to the point I had trouble going down stairs... Is this normal? I'm not sure I will be able to do d2 at this point unless the pain subsides a bit.
    I was very sore in the beginning, can't recall exactly how, but it really depends on your starting point, how (un)fit you are. Also you might be going too fast, that's when I tend to overwork the whole system. If you have one-sided pain, that's a red flag and you might have to see a doctor. The whole RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) thing sounds quite extreme to me at this point so I'd keep "an eye" on the situation and decide tomorrow whether it's something fairly normal/to be expected in relation to your particular body or not. It's hard to tell from short descriptions in text and if you're in doubt, always see either a doctor or physiotherapist or such.
    I'm thinking I need to get a new phone for my C25K app to accurately track. My GPS on my phone doesn't want to work right.
    This is typical for smartphones. They aren't designed to be primarily GPS devices and so there can be quite a few hickups in them. If you want to be more secure in what it tracks, I'd go for something like Garmin watches for runners. For instance Runner's World (dot com) has information on them and if you do general searching, lots of runners have written review on their blogs too.
  • Tanya949
    Options
    Well, no rest day ( I know I should have but rain is expected the next 2 days) I did W3D1 today. I don't know what is wrong with me lately... I thought I read the 2nd interval was 5 min so thought I rocked 5 minutes LOL when it was only 3. Anyway, my breathing is getting really easy now, so I found the intervals went by easily today. I think my mind just said "go" so I did. :tongue: I had a nice mix of mud, wind and small hills, which is really giving me confidence. ( I hear trail running is more difficult than pavement/treadmill?). I'm a hiker so I'm quite used to the terrain off-road.
  • greentree0
    greentree0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well, no rest day ( I know I should have but rain is expected the next 2 days) I did W3D1 today. I don't know what is wrong with me lately... I thought I read the 2nd interval was 5 min so thought I rocked 5 minutes LOL when it was only 3. Anyway, my breathing is getting really easy now, so I found the intervals went by easily today. I think my mind just said "go" so I did. :tongue: I had a nice mix of mud, wind and small hills, which is really giving me confidence. ( I hear trail running is more difficult than pavement/treadmill?). I'm a hiker so I'm quite used to the terrain off-road.

I just got in from W3D1 too. I managed to get my average speed (run & walk combined) just over 4mph today. And it was OK!
  • Tanya949
    Options

I just got in from W3D1 too. I managed to get my average speed (run & walk combined) just over 4mph today. And it was OK!

Way to go! I thought about checking to see if my speed is improving, but decided to concentrate on that after finishing the program, though I can feel myself getting faster. Sometimes I slow myself down so my breathing doesn't go haywire.
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Week 5, Day 3 tonight - I can't believe I ran 20 minutes straight! I even missed the cool down cue and ended up running for 22 minutes total. Whoot!
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Week 3 Day 3...so after stalking this thread yesterday I decided to SLOW DOWN. And amazingly enough, the run was...easy. Not super easy, but not torture they way the rest of the last 3 weeks have been.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I haven't much experience yet, but from what I read in running magazines it's important to be able to run on various surfaces, simply because the body gets the best workout that way. If you only ever run on trails and such, you might never finish a marathon. Well done for sticking to the programme! Since you're having rest days now, I won't yell at you :laugh:
    Good job, nice to hear it wasn't an ordeal! Like Tanya said, I'm focussing on speed only once I'm done with 5K and move on to 5K+.
    Week 5, Day 3 tonight - I can't believe I ran 20 minutes straight! I even missed the cool down cue and ended up running for 22 minutes total. Whoot!
    Excellent! It's a big day and you made it!
    Week 3 Day 3...so after stalking this thread yesterday I decided to SLOW DOWN. And amazingly enough, the run was...easy. Not super easy, but not torture they way the rest of the last 3 weeks have been.
    Hehe, it's a bit like magic when that happens. Well done!
  • angf0679
    Options
    I found out the reason for the difference in the distance - my roommate kept her app going until we got all the way back to the apt. As for the the discrepancy with the rate per hour, I looked at the wrong one on one program. Ooops.

W1D2 is scheduled for tonight!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I found out the reason for the difference in the distance - my roommate kept her app going until we got all the way back to the apt. As for the the discrepancy with the rate per hour, I looked at the wrong one on one program. Ooops.

W1D2 is scheduled for tonight!
    Ah, all is well then :laugh: Have fun! I'll head out for my W6D3 in a bit, have to let some food digest a bit first. Hope to see a report from you later then :)
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I did W4 D3 last night. I think I'm going to redo that one again but it felt wonderfull to get that under my belt.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Yay!!! I could have written this myself!!!!

Week 5, Day 3 this morning:
    I ended up running for a total of 30 minutes (plus the 5 minute cool down and warm up)
    I am so totally shocked, because 5 weeks ago I had a hard time running for 30 seconds.
    I am signing up for my 5K race at the end of June!

The weirdest thing is: I can't wait till my next run!!! I would have NEVER thought I'd ever say that. Ever!!
    I am so excited!!!!
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I need to get a new phone for my C25K app to accurately track. My GPS on my phone doesn't want to work right. During it yesterday at the 5 minute mark, I apparently was standing in one spot for 5 minutes. (I wasn't). I have RunKeeper as well, but didn't have that activated. My roommate did use RunKeeper and tagged me in her posting of it (she was with me and kept pace with me the whole time) and that brought the stats up and into my RunKeeper. That's where I get a BIG difference:

C25K (my phone) - - RunKeeper (tagged via roommates phone)
    115 Calories burned - - 205 calories burned
    1.44 miles - - 2.48 miles
    18:30 total time - - 39:00 total time
    20.14 average km/hr - - 6.15 average km/hr

That's such a HUGE difference between the two!

(My weight is 6lbs heaver on my RunKeeper then my C25K. I've tried updating my weight on RunKeeper and for whatever reason it won't do it.)

The calories that RunKeeper gives me are always lower than what my HRM gives me (I can't seem to be able to sync my HRM to RunKeeper) So don't get disheartened if the calories are lower than what you are expecting.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Did 5 min Wup walk, 27 min run, 5 min cdown last night.

Booked a 5K for 05/31 :happy:
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I did W4 D3 last night. I think I'm going to redo that one again but it felt wonderfull to get that under my belt.
    If I may suggest, provided you weren't completely out of breath even when going slow, maybe try W5D1 and see how it goes? There's quite a bit of walking in it and if you make sure to go slow enough, you'll have nice intervals to compose yourself or however I should put it.
    W4D3: running 3+5+3+5 minutes
    W5D1: running 5+5+5 minutes
    Week 5, Day 3 this morning:
    I ended up running for a total of 30 minutes (plus the 5 minute cool down and warm up)
    I am so totally shocked, because 5 weeks ago I had a hard time running for 30 seconds.
    I am signing up for my 5K race at the end of June!

The weirdest thing is: I can't wait till my next run!!! I would have NEVER thought I'd ever say that. Ever!!
    I am so excited!!!!
    Welcome to the club! :D Congrats, it's a fantastic achievement.
    Did 5 min Wup walk, 27 min run, 5 min cdown last night.

Booked a 5K for 05/31 :happy:
    Smart move to have a "real" goal like that to work toward. I've been looking for suitable races, but haven't found any yet; will keep looking as I think it would be a great motivator at this point.

As for myself, I just did W6D3 and am very pleased not to have more intervals to get through for now. They will have their purpose in the future, but right now I'm excited to challenge myself not to stop mid-run at all. In fact, I had to "bounce back" in front of a stop light today and had to laugh at myself for being so annoyed; heck I just wanted to keep running! :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Way to go! I thought about checking to see if my speed is improving, but decided to concentrate on that after finishing the program, though I can feel myself getting faster. Sometimes I slow myself down so my breathing doesn't go haywire.

This is the same strategy you'll use when pushing yourself to the max in a 5k race, and even more so at the 10k distance. It's distance running. You can't sprint all out. You have to pace yourself. And you're learning the first principles of that now. GREAT JOB!