Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 4, Day 3 today. Bring on week 5... it looks tough, the jump from 8 mins of running is ridiculous. I think I might get stuck there... *fingers crossed*
  • Lorelyrra
    Lorelyrra Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 4, Day 3 today and for the first time I was actually able to run the full 5 minutes without stopping! I think I'm going to recycle this week until I can comfortably run the entire plan before moving on to week 5.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 4, Day 3 today. Bring on week 5... it looks tough, the jump from 8 mins of running is ridiculous. I think I might get stuck there... *fingers crossed*
    W5D2 is 2x 8 minutes running and what happens in W5D3 is basically that you run the mid-segment instead of walking. It's just 4 minutes in between the two eight-minute intervals and if you do those, you are ready to add the extra bit. Give it a shot.
  • greentree0
    greentree0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    W3D3 done here. And it was better than at the weekend. Next time will be W4!
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    W1D3 finished today!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm gearing up for W4D2 tomorrow, and head games are setting in once again. I know I can do it, I felt like I could have continued after the 2nd 5 min interval, but I'm having doubts now. The mental stuff is driving me crazy.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    W3D3 done here. And it was better than at the weekend. Next time will be W4!
    Excellent, first third done already.
    W1D3 finished today!
    That's great, the first week is history :)
    I'm gearing up for W4D2 tomorrow, and head games are setting in once again. I know I can do it, I felt like I could have continued after the 2nd 5 min interval, but I'm having doubts now. The mental stuff is driving me crazy.
    Don't think too much about it. I did and managed to talk myself into repeating weeks when it wasn't necessary at all. Once I adapted the attitude to just go out there and see how things would develop, it became easier. I personally felt that walking would be a failure when I was supposed to be running, so I had these crazy expectations of myself, until it dawned to me nothing like running could ever be the end of the world. If I had to walk due to unforeseen events, then so what? I'd come back another time and retake, and would still be better off than before C25K. Some days will always be more challenging and I had such a day yesterday, when my legs felt like lead, but I'm quite sure next time won't be exactly like yesterday. I might struggle with something else then or it might be a fantastic run. At times I run slower than I walk, but that's because I want to be able to say I didn't revert to walking - and guess what? Nobody except maybe yourself is judging your pace; it's all running. So slow down and remember you have a choice to have fun or to be in agony, since nobody is forcing you out there; pay attention to what makes you happy whilst running and try to pick out those thoughts when it's a heavier day. That's how I got through my run yesterday.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi all new to the group today. I've finished week 7 of 5k runner and ran my first 3k race on Sunday there. It was just a wee family day / charity run but gave me good experience and while I can't say I enjoyed it at the time, I'm already looking forward to my first proper 5k.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Personal victory: I ran EVERY jog segment instead of swearing at the app and walking through one or more of them. This is a first. (and yes, I'm aware that I should probably redo the ones I walked before, and I plan to!) W3D2.
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Rocked W5D1 on Saturday morning (just hadn't had a chance to post on the boards since then)...even did an extra 6 minutes of running at the end:smokin: ...Doing W5D2 today after work..feel good about that....W5D3 has me a weeeeee bit terrified though LOL I'm trying to stay positive but it just seems like such a big jump...almost seems like W6D1 and W6D2 should come first...
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 4, Day 3 today and for the first time I was actually able to run the full 5 minutes without stopping! I think I'm going to recycle this week until I can comfortably run the entire plan before moving on to week 5.

I wouldn't. I'd move right on to the next week. If you finished w4d3, you are ready for week 5!
    Personal victory: I ran EVERY jog segment instead of swearing at the app and walking through one or more of them. This is a first. (and yes, I'm aware that I should probably redo the ones I walked before, and I plan to!) W3D2.

No reason to repeat previous days, I don't think. If you can do w3d2, you are ready for w3d3.

JMHO
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Don't think too much about it. I did and managed to talk myself into repeating weeks when it wasn't necessary at all. Once I adapted the attitude to just go out there and see how things would develop, it became easier. I personally felt that walking would be a failure when I was supposed to be running, so I had these crazy expectations of myself, until it dawned to me nothing like running could ever be the end of the world. If I had to walk due to unforeseen events, then so what? I'd come back another time and retake, and would still be better off than before C25K. Some days will always be more challenging and I had such a day yesterday, when my legs felt like lead, but I'm quite sure next time won't be exactly like yesterday. I might struggle with something else then or it might be a fantastic run. At times I run slower than I walk, but that's because I want to be able to say I didn't revert to walking - and guess what? Nobody except maybe yourself is judging your pace; it's all running. So slow down and remember you have a choice to have fun or to be in agony, since nobody is forcing you out there; pay attention to what makes you happy whilst running and try to pick out those thoughts when it's a heavier day. That's how I got through my run yesterday.
    [/quote]

Yep, that sounds exactly like me. Though I didn't really think of it too much today. I was tired and hungry but stopped at a trail on my way home from work to get my run in. I just figured that I might be too tired or not have enough energy to finish, and if that was the case, I'd walk the rest and redo the day next time. I just seem to get this mental block the day/night before a run and think that I can't repeat what I did the last time. Obviously not true. And so my run went fine, as usual.

As for my pace, I don't care how slow I go, actually I can't really tell what speed I'm going, but thought I started out a bit too fast today and slowed down. I will work on my speed after I am able to run a comfortable non-stop 5k several times. I assume it may come naturally (increased speed) at that point.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Week 2 Day 1 completed! I hated it when having to wait on a walk light stopped me in a running interval! My roommate was with me again today and told me to slow down a few different times. I do need to get some pants I can wear running though. I only have shorts right now. I did buy the shorts over the pants as I only had enough for one or the other and the shorts were knee length and not skin tight. I didn't know when (of if) I could get shorts like that again. I thought it would stay warm, however, the temperature decided it didn't want to!
  • greentree0
    greentree0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the successful runs everyone :-)
    I hated it when having to wait on a walk light stopped me in a running interval!

I jog on the spot when this happens - it keeps my HR up and has the side benefit of seeming to make drivers actually stop when it looks like they will blow through a crosswalk!
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Finshed on Sunday!! Ran a full 5k in 34:37, wanted to finish in under 33 but I will take it. Going to start a new program get work on getting my time under 30 minutes and sign up for a race in July. Keep at it everyone you can do it!!!

Congratulations! That's awesome! You should be insanely proud of yourself for sticking with it and seeing it through to the end.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I hated it when having to wait on a walk light stopped me in a running interval!

I jog on the spot when this happens - it keeps my HR up and has the side benefit of seeming to make drivers actually stop when it looks like they will blow through a crosswalk!

Not where I live!! There`s been way to many people hit by cars in cross-walks this year already. I will wait for the walk-light.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Missed a check in this week. Did w4d2 yesterday (after a three day rest) and barely pushed through. Since I've been doing it all on a treadmill to baby previous ankle injuries, I agreed to start doing it over outside as well. Started w1d1 over again on an outdoor track. Went really well and no pain this time. Slow and steady...
  • AglaeaC
    Options

Not where I live!! There`s been way to many people hit by cars in cross-walks this year already. I will wait for the walk-light.
    Confession of the day: I actually run in some other direction backwards to keep the GPS moving or it slows down my speed registration.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Yep, that sounds exactly like me. Though I didn't really think of it too much today. I was tired and hungry but stopped at a trail on my way home from work to get my run in. I just figured that I might be too tired or not have enough energy to finish, and if that was the case, I'd walk the rest and redo the day next time. I just seem to get this mental block the day/night before a run and think that I can't repeat what I did the last time. Obviously not true. And so my run went fine, as usual.

As for my pace, I don't care how slow I go, actually I can't really tell what speed I'm going, but thought I started out a bit too fast today and slowed down. I will work on my speed after I am able to run a comfortable non-stop 5k several times. I assume it may come naturally (increased speed) at that point.
    There's a podcast series called C25K+ for graduates, who don't yet run the full 5K. It includes speed and distance training podcasts and I intend to use those once I'm done with C25K.

Don't worry about anything but time at this point; walk when the programme tells you to do so, run when you should run. It's reasonable and developed by expert runners, so unless there's physical pain just keep going.

We all can do a lot more beyond the screaming mind, just think about what people have to go through around the world at this very minute, and they still survive. I try to put this into perspective; 30 minutes of possibly unpleasant feelings versus a lifetime of not doing what I'd like to do (travel, trekking, dance, learn various sports, feel graceful, the list goes on). Physical pain is something not to be ignored, but whining and other silliness from the mind can go unnoticed.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    nothingtoadd_zps8e63725a.gif