runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Weight: 137 lbs
    Cal/day: 1600 nonlift, 2000 lift
    protein: min 80 g
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I need to get better at keeping up with this thread, it moves far too fast for me! :smile:

Yesterday I did stage 3, workout B and didn't find it too bad. The YTWL were really hard even though I only used 5lbs dumbbells! and i only fell over once doing the single leg squats so overall I think it went ok! My hamstrings are still sore from Monday's workout though! I think I really need to get in on the foam rolling action.

Hi jdgro, i don't think I have welcomed you yet. if not, welcome to the group. Ask as many questions as you can think of. I often find that people ask questions that had never even occurred to me and because of it I discover that i could be doing something better. And congrats on the deadlift. Its my favourite lift by far!

I can't remember who brought up exercising on an empty stomach but from all my reading of the forums here I think the consensus is that it doesn't matter when you eat. I personally can't workout on an empty stomach and its annoying because it means I can't run first thing in the morning, first I have to have a small breakfast and then wait for it to digest a little before going. Thats one of the reasons I love lifting, I can do it immediately after eating without wanting to throw up! :happy:

dna, i don't know how I would react if anyone said anything like that to me! My sister in law is doing slimming world and she said that the girl who runs the group has no idea about the science of weight loss, she tells them not to exercise because for some reason people seem to lose less weight when they start exercising! I asked her how she can listen to that without flipping out and shouting at her but she just finds it hilarious! I don't post anything about weight loss on facebook, I am not interested in having people pass judgement (or in being one of those people who post everyday to say they are going to the gym, nobody cares!)

Beeps, don't let a bad week get to you. If you need time then take it and get back to it when you can. Missing a week or even two is not going to undo all your hard work.

jpore, I am trying to work out my diet too. I think I eat far too much because I haven't made any progress since November (no weight loss and minimal inches lost). I currently weight 145lbs, I aim for 1540 net calories and I have been eating back all of my exercise calories but starting this week I am only logging 75% of the calories to see if that helps. I aim for 100grams of protein a day and normally I suck at it but have gone well over that every day this week!
  • alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    any of you had hand/shoulder trouble in the beginning? i've taken this week off because of it, feels like tendonitis :( any tips for not having this happen?
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    In stage one my shoulder hurt when I went up in weights for the shoulder press. I dropped the weights back down and while it was still twingy it didn't hurt. Its fine again now because I didn't have to use it during stage 2. is it only for certain exercises that it hurts? Can you modify them in some way?
  • jdgro
    jdgro Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies -- checking in to report that I am SORE! (To recap I started for the first time ever this week working out on Monday and Wednesday doing Stage 1A and 1B.) So very sore. Mostly my abs, fronts of shoulders, and inner thighs are sore.

I am going to try to get to bed early tonight to be bright eyed and perky for my workout first thing tomorrow morning.

Alexandria - re sore hands/shoulders -- not sore now but definitely noticing I have weak gripping muscles and my hands/wrists were getting very fatigued before my legs especially on step-ups.
  • alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    good to know that stage 2 won't be so shoulder heavy. it's not terrible, it just felt like the weights were making it worse and that if i pushed it something might go terrible wrong. am going to give it a go again next week.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    JP I'm 5'6'' eating 1910
    current weight about 143 size 7
    protein average 100g

Skipped gym (did zumba last night though) Hubby did my spark plugs after work (car runs awesome now) and I treated him to fro yo :)
  • runzalot81
    Options
    Sam, do you eat more on lift days or just straight 1910 everyday. Is your body still changing?
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    jpore, I am 5'4", about 169 and try to eat around 1500 calories a day. On a day I workout (5/7 days a week, roughly) I will eat back at least half my exercise calories. When I lift this probably bumps me up to 1700-1800 calories or so. I really just try to go by how hungry my body feels and base my choices around that. I aim for at least 100g of protein a day which is difficult as I don't eat meat, and is pretty impossible without using a protein powder once a day.

Thanks to all of you who threw some support my way. I have BED and some days I can just really fall into bad habits. Things have been much better yesterday and today.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Runz....pass the boozey truffles!!! :drinker:
    Sam..how was Zumba?

Just came back from bicycle riding...and I went up this incline - whew! My quads need a bit more work lol!!!

World Cup Opening match - my fav team, Brazil, won!!!
    Vai, Brasil! Vai!! Aiayaiayai!!! :drinker:
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Motivation is tough especially when I have pain and my lifts just suck - like today. I had to back off on dls even though I was sticking with a workout that I don't like anymore just to try and increase dls. I realized I need a lower seat for my front squats so they have really not increased I was doing them with poor form.
    And I can't ride my bike which was my motivation.

Beeps you are working out more than 99% of people. Twice a week is better than most. And taking a break won't undo everything.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I've had this page open since 7am this morning.... it's 1.30pm and now I'm only just finishing the post lol
    Looking forward to my last week in phase 1. I have been excited about moving into stage 2 for weeks now. I hope the other stages move a little faster?

My daughter is finally out of school for summer! Now I need to find a way to stay on track with lifting at the gym with work and kids home 4 day of the week (they are going to camp the 3 days I work). Thinking I need to wake my booty up at 6:15 to get to the gym and back here by 7:30 to get them ready for the day. I know that's not too early for most people, but I am not a morning person. Going to have to force myself to do it. However, the good thing is I will have kept a summer routine so when school starts I will have been in a bit of a routine.

Also with summer, means I am cracking down on getting my kids to help around the house! They are only 6 and 5--but I personally think they can be helping around the house so much more. Doing a little chore chart today and posting it up, mostly so I can stay consistent!

Stage 1 is the longest and can seem to drag on a bit.

Not a huge morning person here either, but I have to wake up early due to necessity. Unfortunately that also means my brain now sometimes wakes up early on days when I can sleep in :grumble: But it is peaceful in the mornings, and it's only for the Summer, you can do it :smile:

My kids are 7 & 10 - they have to pull their own weight around the house. I'm fairly easy with bedrooms, but beds must be made. They do dishes, vacuum, feed the cat, weed the garden, clean the pool and put the rubbish out. They also get their own breakfasts and have been since they could tip milk into a bowl of cereal :wink:
    Soooooooooo, what I WANT YOU TO TELL ME is that a one-week FUNK is NOT gonna undo ALL this precious progress I have made! (I did lift once this week and I do believe I can lift on Saturday.)

A one week funk is not gonna undo all the precious progress you've made :wink:
    No, seriously, that's what we have rest weeks for. Next week is a new week :smile:

I can try for the little food/eaty stats:

Weight: 39/40kg about 89 lbs (I'm 4'9)
    Cal/day: I try to eat a minimum 1600 a day, to maintain. Sometimes under, sometimes over, it all evens out in the end.
    Protein: min 1g/lb body weight.... that's pretty easy for little old me lol :drinker:

Yay! I get tonight off as girl child is majorly grounded, so no youth group for her :wink: I might bake... what should I make to take to lunch with the IL's tomorrow?
  • runzalot81
    Options
    OMG baking questions!!! Let me Let me!

You're in Australia, right? So something good for winter?

I don't even like German chocolate but this recipe is amazing.
    http://backtoherroots.com/2011/06/20/german-chocolate-filled-cupcakes/

Crumb topped apple pumpkin pie
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/crumb-topped-apple---pumpkin-pie

Banana bread (and then I top with a Bailey's Irish Cream glaze)
    http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2009/07/09/bananas-foster-banana-bread/

My Pinterest board for Tasty Treats
    http://www.pinterest.com/runzalot81/tasty-treats/
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Beeps! A few bad weeks won't undo everything! I took an entire month off when we moved last year. Picked back up where I left off.
    My problem is that my motivation to eat at a deficit is gone. I'm simply tired of eating less. I can maintain perfectly if I don't track cals- I tried it for a few weeks. But I still don't like what I see in the mirror fat-loss wise. So I'm not ready for maintenance.

Cals: I'm 30, 5'5". And my intake varies a lot. Lately I've been eating around 2100, I think. And I think I am seeing minuscule losses. But how much one can eat varies greatly based on activity levels.
    Protein: 120+
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    I literally am going to the gym at 9-11 am this morning and will deal with it when I get back to the office.

That's 2 x weight-training this week....I can live with that!

Cardio tomorrow!
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Beeps! A few bad weeks won't undo everything! I took an entire month off when we moved last year. Picked back up where I left off.
    My problem is that my motivation to eat at a deficit is gone. I'm simply tired of eating less. I can maintain perfectly if I don't track cals- I tried it for a few weeks. But I still don't like what I see in the mirror fat-loss wise. So I'm not ready for maintenance.

Cals: I'm 30, 5'5". And my intake varies a lot. Lately I've been eating around 2100, I think. And I think I am seeing minuscule losses. But how much one can eat varies greatly based on activity levels.
    Protein: 120+

relate on the motivation to eat at a deficit when not exercising. it's like weight training/cardio and deficit eating are intertwined. when one goes, it all goes. been frustrated this week due to injuries and being unable to exercise, going over cals and not caring.

for myself, since i have a sedentary lifestyle when i don't exercise, i need to find a way to deal more flexibly with injuries and adapt better to forced changes in my approach -
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that this group is so honest about things. Like I said earlier, I am sick of Phase 1--and I so have not been motivated to eat well or do my nightly walks with the dog. I am glad I am not alone when it comes to motivation. It's good to hear we all feel a little unmotivated sometimes. Do ya'll just ride it out? Or is there something that un-does the funk? Because I need some de-funking.

I tried on a pair of my jeans yesterday and they were tight as heck. I haven't tried them on since this winter and I could wear them at that time. I am a little freaked that NROL4W isn't working? I see some changes in my body, but not with my waist or hips...can they be getting larger as I gain strength? Still haven't loss any weight, which I really don't care about--but combined with the tight jeans I am confused.

What is all this bulking and cutting stuff I hear about. Does NROL4W do bulking and cutting with it's phases?
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Sunshine, I totally agree. I have a really bad habit of taking the "all or nothing" mindset. It's way too often that once I fall off the wagon on one thing like exercise, then other things start falling off as well, such as diet or overall activity. It's hard, but I think we just have to sit back and acknowledge that these little things do add up nicely together for a healthy lifestyle, but just because you have an off week, doesn't mean you should throw the whole pot out. We want to be healthy and fit for life, not just a week or two. When I think of the longterm, it helps me see those off weeks as just tiny blips on the radar. No reason to throw away a lifetime of health because you had 7 days of meh.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that this group is so honest about things. Like I said earlier, I am sick of Phase 1--and I so have not been motivated to eat well or do my nightly walks with the dog. I am glad I am not alone when it comes to motivation. It's good to hear we all feel a little unmotivated sometimes. Do ya'll just ride it out? Or is there something that un-does the funk? Because I need some de-funking.

I tried on a pair of my jeans yesterday and they were tight as heck. I haven't tried them on since this winter and I could wear them at that time. I am a little freaked that NROL4W isn't working? I see some changes in my body, but not with my waist or hips...can they be getting larger as I gain strength? Still haven't loss any weight, which I really don't care about--but combined with the tight jeans I am confused.

What is all this bulking and cutting stuff I hear about. Does NROL4W do bulking and cutting with it's phases?

Okay, one of the scariest things for me when I started New Rules, was the tightness of my clothes and apparent bulging of legs and arms. Do NOT let this deter you. Muscles swell with water to repair and with a new routine, lemme tell you, they will swell like crazy. I got discouraged thinking I was the one girl who actually got bulky, but give it time and it will dissipate. :) Patience

ETA, bulking and cutting isn't built into New Rules that I know of. I know there's phases that are more focused on fat loss, but bulking and cutting have more to do with your calories than anything (if I'm not mistaken). If you're eating at a slight deficit, you should see progress, albeit slowly. Heck, I've seen ladies that ate at maintenance and still lost fat. As long as your not a caloric surplus, you shouldn't be gaining.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I've been here this week. it's been a stressful week. no workout but I've been under calories. haven't hit my protein goal but I've been "regular":huh:

keep up the good work. I'll try to get back in the groove next week sometime. send me some good vibes.:smooched: