June workout check in: June-o you want to deadlift

1131415161719»

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Last day of the month! Monday morning... I usually sleep in since I don't work, but with Canada day tomorrow I had to haul my butt off to the office so went to the gym first.

Started off with EMOTM for 6 of
    1 snatch + 1 hang snatch x2

Plan was to hit it for 65lbs a piece since I did 60 last week. But even during my warm-up sets 55 didn't even flow right. I *tried* to do it at 65 for 1 min. Then switched back and was so offput that the next set I only got 1 "rep". Finished it up at 55lbs nonetheless. My form was shady though. It was just one of those days where I'm even less coordinated than usual. I pondered stopping by the hardware store and getting me a bubblewrap armor on the way to work, lol.

Then went on to back squats (today was basically leg day. SRSLY) All AMOTM
    3 x 160x3
    3 x 170x2
    5 x 180x1

Keeping in mind my previous tested 1RM is 185 and 180 is basically my 2RM, it was safe to expect the 5 singles to be grinders. And they were. I almost failed the last 2 sets. 35 seconds is not a lot of rest between sets.

FInished up with 20-15-10 for time of
    DB Hang Squat Cleans @ 20lbs (told you: leg day O_o)
    Knees to bows

Cut the whole thing to much longer sets than the first time around (if that makes any sense) and took my time down from 10:10 to 8:36 I believe. So I'm very happy with this. Did some shoulder and hip mobility afterwards because I was feeling pretty tight. Still hanging here looking forward to deload week. 1- I want to bench press so bad! 2- Lower back needs a rest. 3- Need to get back to more explosive movements and better form!

@fittreelol a 310lbs squat is nothing too shabby thar! Some serious leg drive! Good job!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    @massage - Congrats on getting your squat form perfected! It's a bit of work, but once you have it down, you will definitely see the differences in your butt!

I have my macros set to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. I have a Fitbit and was letting it tell me what to eat (so it would be less on off days and more and workout days), but after many months of that and seeing little to no change in weight and measurements, I'm swtiching to the TDEE method and will be eating the exact same amount every day regardless of workouts. Since I have serious doubts now of what Fitbit says my TDEE is, I picked 2090 cals per day which is between a 15% and 25% deficit (taking the numbers from both Scooby and IIFYM into account). We'll see how that goes for a month!
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Last June workout and I'm pleased to say I only lost one day of lifting due to a mild virus, so my calendar on the 5x5 app looks rather nice :smile:

So today:
    Squats: 72.5kg - success - repeated weight to improve form, and I think I'm ready for 75kg next time.
    Bench: 35kg - success - again repeated weight just to be sure, so should be upping it next time.
    Rows: 45kg - success finally! Those elbows were coming out a bit too much so probably repeating the same weight.

Still working on pull-ups which are STILL assisted but I've moved from 40kg assistance back in January, to 19kg assistance now. Desperately want to be able to do just ONE unassisted!
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    From Saturday:
    Squat 5x5 @ 75lbs
    Bench 5x5 @ 65lbs
    Row 5x5 @ 60lbs

This was a morning workout for me and I felt a little off. I think I needed a longer warmup because I felt stiff and really struggled with my squat form. I felt pressed for time since my toddler was at the gym day care. She's not a huge fan of it and I kept waiting for them to come find me, which is what happens when she gets really upset.

Sunday I was feeling pretty low (after saying goodbye to my daughter for the next 8 days) so I decided to spend lots of time being active instead of comfort eating. Swam for a while, then stationary bike, then Zumba. Went for a bike ride later in the day as well. My legs are a little tired today :)
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    @massage, I treat protein and fat as minimums, then fill in the rest with carbs. So they vary day by day. As long as I hit over 100g of protein, and 60g of fat (NEVER a problem...lol) I'm good. Every so often I go way under on protein (my "what's a macro?" days) but I tend to look at it weekly anyway as opposed to daily.
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    @massage: yay for less 2 inches on your measurement!!!! that's (well for me) a tough spot to lose it too. I also have 10-15lbs left to lose... and its all sitting right at my navel and between my hips!!! My macros are 40% protein - 30% carbs and 30% fat.. I tend to be more like 40% carbs though..

Last workout of the month!!!

Workout B + a few extras since I wanted to take my sweet *kitten* time in the gym!!
    Squats - I switched to goblet squats as my gym only has a freakin' smith machine.. so 5x5 with 25pounds dumbell. i think the problem though will be to actually hold the db lol not doing the squat per say!!
    OHP - yay for the empty bar!!!!!!!!! 5x5.. although the very last rep was extremely hard.. i paused in the middle and pushed it up.. it was probably a push press really :( i'll keep this weight next time too!
    Deadlift - 115lbs 5x5.

Extras:
    Power cleans 5x5 empty bar
    incline bench ab work with an ez-bar (shoulder press on the way up!!) 3x8

That was really fun :) Now on to 2 cans of tuna and spinach salad ! yum yum!
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    first day of week 6 - some let downs today ;-)

Squats: warm up, 5/5/4/5/5 @ 60kg / 133 lbs
    BP: warm up, 5x5 @ 32kg / 70.5 lbs
    Rows: 5/5/4/3/2 @ 42.5kg / 93.7 lbs < i hate rows now!
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    I am really looking forward to getting back to lifting in the month of July. (I've hired a trainer -- for a while, at any rate, I really don't want to go into the weights room alone, after my little experience at the beginning of June!).
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Workout A today
    Squat 3x5 150 lbs, totally forgot I was supposed to deload these but meh I got 'em so moving on up
    Bench 3x5 67lbs
    Row 5/4/4 80 lbs

Accessories
    Front raises 3x10 holding 10 lbs plates. My oly bar is too heavy for this, so I think I am going to change this accessory to something else.
    one arm rows 3x8 26 lbs
    Flies 3x10 15 lbs

The oly bar screws with my math so my rests where a little longer (while I slowly added things in mah brain). For some reason I keep on having trouble getting out of bed early to work out. 3 more weeks till I go back to work and I will have to either wake up super early or miss my workout and I don't wanna miss my workouts.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    The oly bar screws with my math so my rests where a little longer (while I slowly added things in mah brain). For some reason I keep on having trouble getting out of bed early to work out. 3 more weeks till I go back to work and I will have to either wake up super early or miss my workout and I don't wanna miss my workouts.

The Stronglifts 5x5 app for your phone has a neat feature - when you tap the weight for each exercise, a box pops up and will tell how much weight to put on each side of the oly bar. It helps tremendously! :happy:
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    @suremeansyes & @SezxyStef haha yup, pole. best strength workout in terms of fun and getting that upper body in! it's probably why I'm having less trouble with OHP than expected (not that it's still not the suckiest lift...but my shoulders were previously even weaker).
    Best online pole lessons are at www.studioveena.com. They also have foam rolling, conditioning and stretching, hooping, and lap dance videos I think. :-) Problem is that they cost money and you probably wouldn't want to pay if you're not going to use the pole videos but there's a 3 day free trial to new members. also from what I remember of the lap dance videos they are taught by a friend of Veena and it's not as technical. :-)

Pole is fun! But not just for dancing. :-) Here are some pics from my studioveena page. Don't know if they're accessible w/o an account or not.

http://www.studioveena.com/photos/index/4f618212-e598-4e55-9366-467c0ac37250
  • muroo
    Checking in as well! I hate pendlay rows. That summarizes it best. :-)

Workout A
    Sq - 110 5x5 (every single workout day I'm convinced that the squat weight is toooo heavy...)
    BP - 75 5x5 (really felt it this time! guess I can't progress forever.)
    Row - 75 5x5 (and hating it! I've been sticking with this weight because it's the worst but I can't seem to convince myself that I should go on or not hurt my wrists on the last set or so by curling them in even though I know I'm not supposed to. haha maybe I'll wear wrist wraps just to remind myself. "Don't even think about it.")

The rest was weaksauce and all the lanes of the pool were taken. Will check it again in a bit...
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Gotta get my last workout for the month recorded before the calendar rolls.

Workout A tonight:
    squats - 3x5 at 145 pounds. Gonna repeat these again because I felt a little rocking forward on a couple of reps. Naughty!
    BP - 4,4,3 at 110 pounds. I feel a deload coming...one more chance to get them all.
    rows - 4,5,5 at 105 pounds. Yes @muroo, I hate these too!

All in all I'm pretty happy with my lifts for the month, even with 3x5 things still progressed. Tonight was a little tough because I have a serious kink in my neck. Had it loosened up a little but now it's getting super tight again. Oh man I hope it's gone when I wake up tomorrow.

Everyone did fantastic this month and here's to some epic numbers for July (and to learning pole/lap dancing)!!!! :bigsmile:
  • muroo
    Poles are good for working on pistol squats too! ;)
  • suremeansyes
    Poles are good for working on pistol squats too! ;)

Well, what are laps good for working on? lol
  • suremeansyes
    Ooooh, today tried maxing out squats with my trainer. Got up to 185lbs and ran out of time! I totally think I could have hit 195+ though. I told him that it made me feel like I was being a baby thinking my "heavy sets" are heavy now. lol
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    This is from the other night:

Squats -- 5x5 @ 65 -- I keep dropping down because I feel like my form sucks. I have been having trouble getting parallel because my one hip hurts. I think it's due to our really crappy old mattress and the way I lay at night.

Bench -- 5x5 @ 60 -- first time I was able to do all of the sets at this weight so YAY.

Rows -- 2x5 @ 70 -- I gave up. I hate rows and there were some young bros in my way so instead of working around them, I just packed it in. Tonight's gym night so I'll make up the rows.
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    6/30 workout:
    Last night was the first time I wasn't able to use a squat rack at the gym. We only have two and they were both in use by people training in pairs. I did my workout out of order in hopes they'd open up, but no such luck. I improvised as best I could.

Squat (goblet) 5x5 @80lbs
    OHP (using dumbells) 5x5 @ 50lbs
    DL 5x5 @ 125lbs

Officially done with one month of the program. The scale hasn't moved at all (still showing a 1.4lb gain actually) so I'm feeling slightly frustrated. I know everyone says the scale shouldn't matter, but I still need to lose at least another 30 pounds to be in the "healthy weight range" for my height. I'm guessing it's because I've gotten lazy and thereby inaccurate in my logging. I started tracking in October 2012 and am just kind of tired of doing it. Oh well. Gotta suck it up and keep going :)