Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Week 3, Day 1 tonight. Run was absolutely miserable due to the heat, but I stuck with it and finished. Seriously thinking I might have to get up early to do my runs, but that's only possible until mid-August. Not sure what to do.

Bravo for everyone getting in so many weekly miles!! Timeasterday ran more miles in one week than I ran in the entire month of June (33.27 for me)... lol.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I did speed intervals last night. Was planning on hill repeats but it was raining on & off so the track (where there's convenient cover nearby in case of rain) seemed like the better option. It started raining during the first lap & I spent 10 minutes waiting that out, then it started raining during the second lap but I spent less than 5 minutes waiting that one out. Finally got in a couple more warm-up laps, six repeats of my intervals (1 minute fast / 2 minute recovery), and a cool-down to bring me to 5K total. It drizzled on me on and off but didn't rain hard again anyway. It was lower 60s and really windy so not a pleasant day to run in the rain.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hey. I've been fighting through acclimating to the summer heat. I'm finally getting to have good runs again, even though they have to be very carefully prepared for. I'm doing a little less than 5 miles of running on my long run, but it's good and I'm going to move to 4 days of running/week if my next long run goes well.

One thing that really helped me was Victoria's blog post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/vmclach/view/love-affair-with-running-674228
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Got my 1.5 miles to my trainer workout last night, and then had to come home in a thunderstorm! So, I ran about a mile getting soaked, then stopped in a 7-11 and bought some chocolate milk to have with a banana before I went to bed. I appologised for giving her a soping wet $5 bill, but she just nodded and gave me my change. I guess dripping people are par for the course. Then I ran the rest of the way home in the rain, wind, and occasional bolts of lightening.

This morning Fells and I got out and ran 4 miles to start the day. It was quite cool, about 72F, but so humid that I got back dripping with sweat.

Glad that things are going better for you Varda.

Enjoy your Jason workout, Laura.

Congratulations in finishing a tough run, Acidstained!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Donna that's a great story about the convenience store! What can you do.

Varda I'm so glad you're getting your groove back as you've learned to adjust to summer.

I saw my trainer tonight for the first time in a week. I'm still on "unstructured" runs so basically what I run has been up to me, as long as I run 3x a week and stick within 2-6 miles (which I expanded to 6.2). Got a little bit of a baby lecture from Jason for doing speed intervals yesterday. Apparently hitting a 5K PR on Friday, a 10K PR on Sunday and doing speed intervals on Tuesday is pushing the envelope. The 5K was a race, so of course. The 10K was supposed to be an easy run until it started raining on me so I sped up. Still felt like I was running at a moderate pace. And the speed intervals were again because of rain - the track seemed like the best option in light of scattered rain showers (I did take cover twice). And honestly short run after short run was getting tedious. It's time to set a new running goal. I wanted to run a half, which I did. I wanted to run a sub-35 5K, which I did. I don't want to do another half this season. I do want to still distance run for fun, although I want to return my primary focus to strength training. I do better with goals but I'm having a hard time coming up with one. It doesn't have to involve a race.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    3.5 mile easy run this morning @ 11:54 average pace. It's a nice cool morning, perfect for running.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Yesterday we went to the track and did some speedwork. As usual it was 90° with little wind and the full force of the sun upon us. The black surface of the track made it feel much hotter. After a 2-mile warmup we did a "Mona Fartlek" workout. This was a new one for us - a short workout but pretty hard. Here's what it is:

2 x 90 seconds with 90 seconds recovery
    4 x 60 seconds with 60 seconds recovery
    4 x 30 seconds with 30 seconds recovery
    4 x 15 seconds with 15 seconds recovery

You start the first two intervals at 5K to 10K pace and then keep increasing pace on the shorter intervals. Recovery is run at half-marathon race pace, so not really a rest. It's basically a 20-minute tempo run with surges. Then a 2-mile cooldown which brought the entire workout to 7 miles total.

I'm supposed to do 5 miles tonight but will probably skip this run. My knee has been a little sore lately, especially going down stairs or running downhill. Gotta rest it a couple of days and see how it feels on the weekend.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Ran 5 to 10k w2d2 distance version with my friend yesterday. She is quickly catching up to me in her ability and will soon be leaving me in the dust! We finished the 5 ish miles in 58:57 with our pace being 11:37. This includes 3 walking intervals. Not bad. It was "only" 85 degrees with what had to be 90% humidity! Must start getting up early to run. (67 degrees this morning!) Part of the trail we ran was concrete, so not so great for my feet. We loved the trail though because it has a lot of shade.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Yesterday we went to the track and did some speedwork. As usual it was 90° with little wind and the full force of the sun upon us. The black surface of the track made it feel much hotter. After a 2-mile warmup we did a "Mona Fartlek" workout. This was a new one for us - a short workout but pretty hard. Here's what it is:

2 x 90 seconds with 90 seconds recovery
    4 x 60 seconds with 60 seconds recovery
    4 x 30 seconds with 30 seconds recovery
    4 x 15 seconds with 15 seconds recovery

You start the first two intervals at 5K to 10K pace and then keep increasing pace on the shorter intervals. Recovery is run at half-marathon race pace, so not really a rest. It's basically a 20-minute tempo run with surges. Then a 2-mile cooldown which brought the entire workout to 7 miles total.

I'm supposed to do 5 miles tonight but will probably skip this run. My knee has been a little sore lately, especially going down stairs or running downhill. Gotta rest it a couple of days and see how it feels on the weekend.

That workout sounds brutal but awesome. Smart to rest your knee. Time to give it some TLC.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Ran 5 to 10k w2d2 distance version with my friend yesterday. She is quickly catching up to me in her ability and will soon be leaving me in the dust! We finished the 5 ish miles in 58:57 with our pace being 11:37. This includes 3 walking intervals. Not bad. It was "only" 85 degrees with what had to be 90% humidity! Must start getting up early to run. (67 degrees this morning!) Part of the trail we ran was concrete, so not so great for my feet. We loved the trail though because it has a lot of shade.

That's fast!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I agree with Laura on Tim and Ceci's runs. I barely get any speed or distance at those temps! You guys are tough!
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Week 3, Day 2 tonight. It was rainy and windy, which was AMAZING. Run my first 5k a week from Saturday... getting nervous.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I agree with Laura on Tim and Ceci's runs. I barely get any speed or distance at those temps! You guys are tough!

I am hoping this pays off in the fall when it gets cooler. If it doesn't I won't be signing up for any more fall marathons!
  • iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I feel like a turtle running thru molasses compared to you guys. My speed sucks. I'm trying to work on it though. I went to the gym last night and got in 24 minutes on the treadmill. I did two minute intervals of jogging at 4.5 then walking at 3.5. my cool down was at a speed of 2.5. I wanted to stay longer but got creeped out by a guy that came in and he kept staring at me, then came over and kept wanting to chat. I have very little endurance. It was suggested to me to work on that before working on speed. So I'm hoping to get up to at least being able to maintain a 4.5 to 5 pace on the treadmill for at least 5 minutes straight by end of month. I know that's not a very impressive goal.. but I do hope to one day in the future be able to finish a 5k in 30 minutes or less...just don't wanna injure myself trying to get to that point.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I feel like a turtle running thru molasses compared to you guys. My speed sucks. I'm trying to work on it though. I went to the gym last night and got in 24 minutes on the treadmill. I did two minute intervals of jogging at 4.5 then walking at 3.5. my cool down was at a speed of 2.5. I wanted to stay longer but got creeped out by a guy that came in and he kept staring at me, then came over and kept wanting to chat. I have very little endurance. It was suggested to me to work on that before working on speed. So I'm hoping to get up to at least being able to maintain a 4.5 to 5 pace on the treadmill for at least 5 minutes straight by end of month. I know that's not a very impressive goal.. but I do hope to one day in the future be able to finish a 5k in 30 minutes or less...just don't wanna injure myself trying to get to that point.

That's pretty much my treadmill speed too, or at least it was over the winter when I was treadmill running. It's just been this spring and summer when I've been able to run outside consistently that my speed has started creeping up. It felt like it took forever and then suddenly I started seeing improvement. I just broke my first 35 minute 5K last week.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Finished W12D1 (R30, W5, R15) today, and I killed it!!! I fell again two days ago and scraped my knees up pretty bad again, so I was nervous to go out today. I managed to come out of it today with my knees still intact though :). I can't believe I will be running for a straight hour in 3 more weeks!! It's crazy! I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds when I started c25k in the beginning of May.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Got up early this morning and went to my national park for a run. Thought I was going to die for the first 2 miles (uphill), then got into my groove and finished 5.19 miles in 56:36! It was 69 degrees and the deer were keeping me company! It was an awesome run!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Nice run Andie! Being able to run for an hour is a huge milestone!

Excellent run Ceci! Thursday morning I saw mama and baby deer up ahead on the road but they bolted before I could get too close.

I went out this morning with the goal to run 7-9 miles and ran 9 in 1:54. It was warm (by Minnesota standards), sunny and humid but there was enough of a breeze to make it tolerable. When I trained for my half I had borrowed a fuel belt from a friend because I didn't want to invest in a good one until I knew for sure I'd want to keep running long enough distances to need one. My race packet included a coupon for 10% off a hydration belt or bottle from D i c k's Sporting Goods so I ran up there last night and found one that suits my needs. I did buy one with 4 bottles but didn't need that for today's run so I only brought 2 and that worked fine. The zipped pocket was big enough to fit all my stuff (I had my phone, a package of Shot Bloks and a couple of extra gels just in case, but easily could have fit 2-3 more gels in there) and there was a separate little pouch on the front with a flap closure for my iPod, with room on the sides of the flap for my headphone cord to come out. There's an inner pouch in the zipper pocket with a clip to hold a key if necessary which will be nice because I'm always paranoid about losing my key fob. Pleased with my purchase.
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be using Hal Higdon's plan to train for my first 1/2. (http://www.halhigdon.com/assets/_legacy/halfmarathon/halfnovice.pdf)

Yesterday I purchased a Nike+ to keep track of how far I am running. This week I ran
    3 miles twice. Both times I was fortunate enough to run with a friend. I am so not going
    to quit running to take a quick walking break when I'm with a friend. : )

Tomorrow my husband who is a cyclist primarily, will be "cross training" and running with
    me for the first time. It is a nice change for sure!!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Had a good run on one of the local greenways today. The plan was 13 miles but I did 13.1 just because. Except for something stinging my finger and hurting like hell the whole run I felt great. I even pushed the last mile to 7:27 pace and ended up at 8:59 average for the entire run. Hard to believe I can run that distance in less than 2 hours and call it an easy training run! My energy level was awesome today. I've been experimenting with Generation UCAN and it has really helped my long runs. I never felt any loss of energy for two hours and didn't need any gels to get through it.