July workout check-in thread - Don't July about your PR

Options

Replies

• JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Workout B today
    decided to deload on squats - should have done 67.5kg, instead I only did 60kg.
    It felt so much better. last time, my legs were a little shakey, today I felt more or less invincible :-D

Squats: warm up, 5x5 @ 60kg
    OHP: warm up, 5/4/4/4/5 @32.5kg <-- damn, this is getting hard!
    DL: warm up, 3@85kg

the DL warm up is killing me, after 10 DL with a lower weight I am pretty done :-/
    Maybe I'lll shorten the warm up to 2x3 reps instead of 2x5 reps.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Friday night workout was great! I felt super pumped - and thank goodness no one else was home to hear me grunting and making rude comments to the barbell. If anyone's ever seen the movie Hot Rod (with Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone, Bill Hader, Danny McBride), there's a scene where Danny McBride beats up the old man after Rod smashes into his RV and Danny screams, "I'm freakin pumped! I've been drinking green tea all goddamn day!" That's what I yelled at my barbell after I killed my squats. :laugh:

Squats 3x5 @ 155lbs
    Seated OHP 3x5 @ 65lbs
    Deadlifts 1x5 @ 165lbs
    Upright Rows 3x5 @ 60lbs
    10 assisted pull ups
  • katro111
    Options
    I did purchase the 3x5 portion of the app hoping it works out well...it did however tell me I was doing fine and didn't need to switch but eh whatever...I will let you all know how it is...

I did the same thing the other day - bought the warmup reps, too. It also told me I didn't need to switch to 3x5, but if I keep it at 5x5 my workouts take upwards of 2 hours and I just don't have 2 hours to spare. Wish I did, but I don't!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Here is my workout from last night...off to the range to lift some rifles and shotguns. Have a great Saturday!

Workout A (Fri)

overhand bicep curls - 5 x 5 - 80

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 60

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 65

deadlifts 5 X 1 - 135

squats 5 X 5 - 135

lateral hot potato squat - 5 x 10 - 15

dumbbell skier swings - 5 x 10 - 40

Dumbbell side bend - 5 x 10 - 40
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    2B or not 2B today:

Squats: 3x5 135lbs
    Deadlifts: 1x5 165lbs
    OHP: 3x2 65lbs <--- just adding reps and hoping I can get this weight to 3x5 soon. I might go back to training it on its own day.

I didn't progress in deadlifts like I wanted to. It's time to do more core work. I buckled on deadlifts again; actually, I couldn't maintain core tension through any of my lifts this morning. It worked for the first 2 reps, and then... collapsed is the only word I can use to describe it.
    Oh, well. I'm away all next week, so maybe after I return I'll start doing my Pilates again or some core accessory stuff.
  • katro111
    Options
    Sunday funday! Haha, yeah, I'll be needing a nap in a few hours... Got up at 5:30 (who knows why, my body was apparently done sleeping), walked the dog for 30 minutes then did Workout A!

Squats 3x5 @ 160lbs - man, these are getting heavy!
    Bench 3x5 @ 87.5lbs - also getting heavy
    Rows 3x4 @ 85lbs - technically I got 5 reps each set, but I had to use momentum to get the bar up, and it wasn't even up to the boob-area so I'm not counting the 5th rep and will repeat this weight one more time. If I still can't get it next time, I will de-load.
    Straight-leg deadlifts 1x10 @ 100lbs
    Hip thrusts 1x10 @ 100lbs
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    still. just wanted to give you a shoutout about your re-racking slip. you're not alone there. i've already started keeping a list of the plain-stupid noob things i've done, to be pointed and laughed at when i'm darn good and ready to talk about them . . . and that's on there. the first time i did a real true bench-press set, i just plain got sloppy when it was done, i was so pleased with myself. just kind of somehow forgot to take care of the second side. no harm done, though it gave me the horrors for a while afterwards. and one day i'll tell you the dumb thing i did today in our squat rack.

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I am sticking with benching in the rack. I feel so much safer. :smile:
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Workout A yesterday:

Squats - 5x5 @17.5kg form is finally starting to look good so looking forward to using the proper bar next time
    Bench - 5x5 @20kg can't understand how 20kg feels fine but 22.5kg is pretty much impossible :indifferent:
    Rows - 3/4/5/5/4 @27.5kg I hate rows! Got a really sore lower back and was worried I had hurt myself but it is fine today

Seriously considering substituting something else for rows!
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    At the gym last night, another kabobbled routine because of my crazy knee, which is feeling much better so I'll be back to normal from here on out:

Squats, 5x5 @ 75 -- got parallel and knee wasn't screaming

Deadlift, 1x5 @ 145 -- yeah, this was HARD but I got all 5, which I didn't the last time!

Rows, 3x5 @ 60

I still hate rows. Hate them. Keep trying to avoid them. I think I'm going to deload to try to find some love for them.

My 14 year old daughter tried squatting with the bar and did it fine, which made her happy because she seems intimidated by the weight room. If she doesn't want to lift weights, that's cool....but I'm hoping eventually she will do it at least a little for her bone health. Better to get started young than feel like you're playing catch up at my age!

We also swam afterwards (she did 18 laps, I did 14).
  • katro111
    Options
    the DL warm up is killing me, after 10 DL with a lower weight I am pretty done :-/
    @juliramone - I was having the same problem with exhausting myself on DL warm-ups. I use the 5x5 app for Android; I broke down and paid for the warm-up reps function and it tells me to do 1x5 @ 135lbs (~61kg??) then jump right into my working weight.

I put in the 85kg that is your working weight and it says your warm-up should be:
    1x5 @ 135lbs (~61kg)
    1x5 @ 165lbs (~75kg)

then jump into your 1x5 @ 85kg

Maybe this will help you, too! :smile:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I feel like such a slacker, I actually did not report my previous workout - and haven't been keeping up! Sorry!

(I did hit a bench press PR. 2 sets of 120x2! I tried a second time because I was sure I had a third rep in me. It was close. It was very close. The rest wasn't really worth logging here.)

Test week of the COMPETE phase is now officially begun. Starting with triple broad jumps. At which I REALLY suck. My best was like 18 feet. (Measured with my shoes, of all things xD) the rest was within 2 feet of that.

Snatch 1RM Test, had a hard time hitting 87.5, but managed 90 on the first try - it's such a technical lift that whenever you just do 1 thing wrong, hesitate or think too much, it becomes near impossible to complete a heavy rep.

Back squat 1RM. I'd worked up to 185 previously but I might've taken a few sets too many to get there, so I only had the gas for 1 rep at 190 after that. It was a grinder alright.

Conditioning was 10,8,6,4,2 power cleans at 75lbs followed by 10 wallballs per set at 12lbs for time. I was way out of breath at the end of those 6;20 xD
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I don't do any warmup before DL. I don't think Mehdi does one in his video on the SL website. From what I remember reading, squats and OHP with warmups should have you all ready to do your 1 set of DL without any extra warmup.
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

I've been away for the past 5 days eating junk food and drinking beer and wine (yay for a mini vacation!!)

So this week I decided to keep all the same weights as my last workouts just because I haven't been in the gym in a week.

Workout B today! Yay deadlift!!
    Squats 5x5 - 40lbs dumbell (goblet)
    Overhead press - empty bar, 5x5 45lbs
    Deadlift - 1x5 125lbs

That's it for me!! welcome to all the new ladies, I browsed through quickly so I saw lots of new names :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies...it's Monday...ick...at least it's almost over....

@Juli ...Yah I only do 5 reps 1x3 then 1x2 for DL warmup...usually @ 1/2 working weight and then 75% for 1x2
    @Katro...hehe I always scare my kittehs when I am working out...or if DH or Man child is home they make comments...

Oh and to the ladies that hate rows...I hate them too but do them...and guess what...the last bit of stubborn back fat is apparently gone according to a friend...1/2 inch off my bra strap area...down to 32.5 from 33 inches...and I think it was the rows...made it all worth it...

@willrun...yah I didn't do warmups for DL for a long time...when I hit 180 is when I started just to help with form.

So Workout B for me today...yah DL

Squat warmup + 3x6@ 155 ( I admit I am not going as deep as I normally do but still getting below parallel and no I don't feel guilty)
    OHP warmup + 3x5@ 90 ready to move up to deload weight...93.5
    DL warmup + 1x5@190...was going to do 185 but was easier to load my 20lb bar with 2x35 and 4x25...hehe

ETA went for a walk after my workout as I was alone and the 3x5 part of the app...so far so good...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I still hate rows. Hate them. Keep trying to avoid them.

me too. i keep thinking, why row when you could deadlift? obviously there would be reasons, but my denial circuits will take anything they can get.

i decided to get serious about them last week though. main reason being that i do have a little-bit-of-something wrong with one shoulder. don't think it's the rotator cuff and i don't seriously believe it's the joint - i.e. this isn't r.a. inflammation. and i don't think it's any kind of a tear . . . yet.

i'm tagging it as tendonitis because of the pattern and flavour of pain, and i've really noticed it under the lower edge of my collarbone after bench pressing. iow, upper attachment point of any muscles on the left side of my chest. so i know that shoulder at least can use all the help it can get.

this suddenly gives me a reason to pay attention to rows, since anything that strengthens the 'back side' of whatever bench-pressing works is a win for me. and even just after testing this as a hypothesis, i've noticed a big increase in how robust the front of that shoulder is now. so if i have to . . . i'll row.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, been away since the bf got his acl surgery last week and was visiting him since he is pretty home bound for now...

Got in B today, but subbed hip thrusts for deads because I told this guy he could use the DL platform when I only had one OHP set left and then there was no more room. Was going to do thrusts anyways. Sorry for the dude I was thrusting towards...

Squats: 125lbs
    OHP: 45lbs
    Hip Thrusts: 50lbs (3x10)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That makes me feel better. I am sticking with benching in the rack. I feel so much safer. :smile:

i'm not stupid, but i'm definitely a bit dyslexic with physical objects, aka a klutz.

my current exhibit is: just about every time i do a deadlift, i untie at least one of my shoes. the trailing end of the shoelace is *right there* when i'm taking my grip on the bar . . . less harmful than dropping something on a bench press, but definitely not all that suave.
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    Options
    Suffering from probably some mood-related fatigue (though I'm sure if I got to the bottom of it, it's probably food related =P). Couldn't manage things I had previously managed once or twice. Not just for SL lifts but even little things like assisted pull-ups. Though...now that I thinking about it...I hope it's not because I've been gaining massive amounts of weight without realizing it. I have been falling a bit off the exercise wagon!

Friday - BP roll of shamed after trying to add an extra set. looks like 5x5 is my limit for that weight for sure. haha I think it was graceful kthx

Today - my squats got reduced to 4x4 of all things. I've done 5x5 at this weight twice before, even if the form wasn't the best. but today I just couldn't. and I was so bummed out and could tell someone was waiting for the rack and just gave up. sigh. didn't really want to DL either but I did but only got to 1x3. I think I agree with others who say warming up DL takes a lot out of you. I think I'll cut down. :-) (Not that I was doing too many warm up sets anyway)

I'm starting to think that focus is a big part of my failures or perceived failures. Maybe my music is too distracting or I'm worried about how I look or how much I'm grunting...has anyone else felt like there was a point where your lifts were very mental?

keep up the good work everyone!
  • maryetamfp
    maryetamfp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oooops, a few "catch-up" work outs I have to post :D I have completed my first week of SL and today I'm doing workout B (yeeeey) I've now ordered some 1.25kg weight plates of my own because my gym only has 2.5kg increments and 5kg each time for each exercise feels like a lot to mefor now so I've been working on the form in the meantime... But I have noticed that the weight is starting to feel much more manageable so it's time to put it up (my plates should arrive tomorrow):

10/07/2014

My first workout B, I loved it! (apart from the squats...)

-Squats: after the warmup, did one "set" with 25kg but I thought I couldn't go up so I had to deload and completed the other 4 sets at 20kg. We found we could improvise a squat rack in the functional room of my gym so no more Smith machine, yeeeey

-OHP: bloody hell this one felt heavy! I couldn'tlift even the bar... so I used a 15kg fixed barbell, booo, 5x5

-Deadlift: I enjoyed this one... a LOT! Could complete all 5x5 at 40kg :)

13/07/2014

Second workout A alone in the gym as a big girl so no spotters or people who could come to the rescue. Had been thinking about the roll of shame and getting stuck in bench press but it went well and @willrun4bagels gave me a very good tip about breathing correctly and focusing I'll definitely use in future workouts!

-Squats: 5x5 at 20kg
    -Bench press: 5x5 at 20kg (this one did feel easy, I could feel it, so almost no rest between sets, can't wait to get my new weight plates so I can finally increase the weight!)
    -Barbell row: sort of 5x5 at 30kg... I hate this one with all my heart really, probably even more than squats. I must be doing something wrong because it just feels almost impossible (and I know I can deadlift more weight quite easily, although I know they are completely different).

One question for you all, see what you think! I have a volunteering event this weekend and by the time I'm finished, the gym is already closed so I'm thinking about my third workout of the week. The two options I have left are:

-Option 1: double workout on Thursday if I can handle it, full workout A first + full workout B after
    -Option 2: no rest day, workout A on Thursday, workout B on Friday.

Does any of these options sound better than the other? Thanks everyone! :)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Workout B (Tues)

squats 5 X 5 - 135

overhead press 5 x 5 - 55

barbell rows 5 X 5 - 75

reverse curls 5 x 5 - 60

underhand bicep curls 5 x 5 - 85

Dumbbell side bend - 5 x 10 - 40

dumbbell skier swings - 5 x 10 - 40

flys 5 x 5 - 40