Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Saturday ran 6.25 in 1:08:12 in like 85 degree humid weather. I felt good and could have kept going except for the fact that I was in desperate need of body glide you know where...:embarassed: :frown:
    Thats the first time I have ever had THAT happen....
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Saturday ran 6.25 in 1:08:12 in like 85 degree humid weather. I felt good and could have kept going except for the fact that I was in desperate need of body glide you know where...:embarassed: :frown:
    Thats the first time I have ever had THAT happen....

Awesome. Running is so glamorous.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Today I did a 6.67 mile loop. I finished in 1 hour 13 minutes, including about 4 walking/water breaks. This was a run with a local running club. Although I can't run this distance ye without stopping, I did learn that I can run for much longer if I take some walking breaks when needed; so this might be the key to helping me build more muscle endurance.

Try slowing down to go longer.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Well, I think I am getting my mojo back! My knee is still not back to 100% but it's not getting worse. Yesterday's trail race really helped my overall attitude and got me fired up again to run. Saturday morning we woke up to the sound of pouring rain and that was pretty much the way it was all morning. The rain let up a little as I did a 2-mile warmup. That gave me a chance to check out some of the course conditions. Lots of standing water in places and little rivers of orange mud too. But overall the trail was very hard packed clay and I was getting good traction. They reversed the course this time for safety reasons. One side of the mountain is very rocky and that would have been dangerous going down when wet. So we went up that side instead. About 10 minutes before race time as we lined up in the parking lot it really started pouring harder. The race was actually pretty fun in the rain. I took it easy going up and went as fast as I could safely run down the other side. I was running around a 7:30 pace flying down a mountainside in a downpour! It felt great but so easy to get hurt. Luckily I never slipped. I finished the 4-mile race in 33:55. Not bad for 500 feet of elevation gain.

Here's a shot of me near the finish:

14670548926_b195c1768d.jpg

Today was a 14-mile run at 9:22 pace. Legs were a little tired but I got it done.

Wow! You are flying! Sounds like an awesome race. I'm wondering whether to try to run trails on Tuesday if this weather keeps up.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    11.6k of something resembling a long tempo run last night. Headed out the door and was itching to get going so I only did about 100m of walking warmup before settling into a 6min/km pace for the next few hundred metres before dropping down to around 5:15-5:30pace for most of the run.
    As I headed out I thought I would try and average 5:30 for the entire run, so that meant a few faster km's to bank/makeup time as a counter for my hills that are adding 30-45 seconds to my pace, only 2 of those nasties to really worry about, the third nearly evens out with its downhill. Clomping along, I ended my first km on 5:35, nearly spot on but I was clomping, feet were pounding into the ground and I didn't have my usual rhythm, second km in 5:15 and then the first small hill at which point I realised I definitely use my posterior chain when running up hill as my left hammy let me know it wasn't happy with the run today. Pushed on, hit the next hill and more complaints from the hammy, basically a tightness but not quite. I stopped for 10 seconds or so at a flat point on the hill to try and stretch it out and considered turning for home. Pushed on and up the hill the to the peak, felt ok on the gentle downhill slope so I kept going, down and down some more, then up again. Hammy still wasn't happy but it was a bit looser.
    Down again and onto the last 3k, had to put a bit more effort in to keep the pace, but very happy with my run in the end. Hammy finally loosened up by the 11th km just as I was finishing and ended up with new 10k pb and my ankle only had a minor complaint once. Yay for strengthening exercises seeming to be working already!
    55:07 for the 10k
    64:47 for the entire run (166m/544feet of elevation change) 5:35/km pace
  • likitisplit
    Options
    1 hour run tonight. I'll try to hit the trails. Pray that there's no lightening for me.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have been away again, as usual :( On vacation for a week in the OuterBanks where I ran 5 out of the 7 days at 6:30am! and also did a 5K while I was there, and took 1.45 off my fastest 5K time to date! WOOT WOOT! :) Now just plugging away at the miles getting ready for the Rock and Roll in November. Tim, which hotel are you staying at? PM me if you want -

Miss you guys very much. Sorry to hear about your knee and ankle troubles, Tim and Laura :(
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I have been away again, as usual :( On vacation for a week in the OuterBanks where I ran 5 out of the 7 days at 6:30am! and also did a 5K while I was there, and took 1.45 off my fastest 5K time to date! WOOT WOOT! :) Now just plugging away at the miles getting ready for the Rock and Roll in November. Tim, which hotel are you staying at? PM me if you want -

Way to go!! Wow, running hard on vacation!

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Bay Street. It's expensive for Fri & Sat but it will be nice to have the starting corrals right in front of the hotel. I'm still looking for someplace to stay one night on Tybee Island after the weekend. Haven't seen the ocean in a long time!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Miss you guys very much. Sorry to hear about your knee and ankle troubles, Tim and Laura :(

Woo hoo! Great running!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    1 hour run tonight. I'll try to hit the trails. Pray that there's no lightening for me.

No rain. No lightening.

I found the BEST TRAIL EVER. I'm naming it Faramir. I'm sooo in love.

It runs from 12 ->13 ->8 ->6 ->4 ->3 ->2 ->5 ->4
    Nice variations of Georgia hills and rocks and pretty scenery. It's about three miles out and back.

14538782438_2c29dbeabe.jpg
  • timeasterday
    Options
    No rain. No lightening.

Nice variations of Georgia hills and rocks and pretty scenery. It's about three miles out and back.

Cool! The Chattahoochee River has a lot of great trails. I haven't fully explored all the trails up here near my house. And I probably won't until winter. They have not kept up the trails and they are pretty overgrown right now with lots of snakes around. At least in winter I won't be in danger of stepping on a copperhead!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    No rain. No lightening.

Cool! The Chattahoochee River has a lot of great trails. I haven't fully explored all the trails up here near my house. And I probably won't until winter. They have not kept up the trails and they are pretty overgrown right now with lots of snakes around. At least in winter I won't be in danger of stepping on a copperhead!

If I ever need to do a 20-mile run, there are paths that essentially run from my house all the way to the Chatt, now. Not to mention the Silver Comet.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    It would have been great if the gov't had the foresight to create a nice greenway from Lake Lanier all the way down to Atlanta. They own a lot of land along the river. But I am glad they are preserving what they can.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm so far behind! Skimmed the past couple of pages but I'm sure I missed a lot.

Tim, what is Generation UCAN? Great photo from your race!

Varda I'm pretty jealous about your trail. One of my local friends just posted this so I need to go check it out:
    10386395_680073115403716_5613208645716988251_n.jpg

I'm dealing with posterior tibial tendonitis right now so I'm on a running rest break this week & then 1-2 months of short, easy runs to give it a chance to heal up. Saw the doctor on Friday and she said I don't have to quit running but if it gets worse to taper mileage. I ran 10 miles on Saturday and hurt for 2 days afterward, so I need to taper. My trainer came up with the recovery schedule, which is worse than I expected, but it's smarter to deal with it now. Still I was pretty down about it Monday and Tuesday. I usually work out my frustrations with a good run and that wasn't an option. Right now it shoots up the side of my Achilles but my doctor told me it could eventually go all the way up my calf. It was starting to get better the weeks after my race but adding on mileage the past couple of weeks it's irritated again. I was going to run a 5K in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping that will still be okay to do.
  • davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't think I gave myself enough rest since my run on Saturday. Last night I did a 4.37 mile run to the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 44:24. I though I would be able to run at least half of the way back, but my legs were shot.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm so far behind! Skimmed the past couple of pages but I'm sure I missed a lot.

Varda I'm pretty jealous about your trail. One of my local friends just posted this so I need to go check it out:
    I'm dealing with posterior tibial tendonitis right now so I'm on a running rest break this week & then 1-2 months of short, easy runs to give it a chance to heal up. Saw the doctor on Friday and she said I don't have to quit running but if it gets worse to taper mileage. I ran 10 miles on Saturday and hurt for 2 days afterward, so I need to taper. My trainer came up with the recovery schedule, which is worse than I expected, but it's smarter to deal with it now. Still I was pretty down about it Monday and Tuesday. I usually work out my frustrations with a good run and that wasn't an option. Right now it shoots up the side of my Achilles but my doctor told me it could eventually go all the way up my calf. It was starting to get better the weeks after my race but adding on mileage the past couple of weeks it's irritated again. I was going to run a 5K in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping that will still be okay to do.

Fingers crossed for you! Go slow, walk if you need to, you know the drill.
  • timeasterday
    Options

Laura, sorry to hear about your PTT. I've been through that. And I still get occasional pain there in both legs. Not much you can do except back off the mileage, rest as much as possible, and ice it daily. Even now I still ice the inside of both shins every night. I think it is related to the type of shoes and/or arch support. I've been experimenting with different combinations of shoes & different inserts to see what works. I've noticed that a firm neutral shoe with a high arch support insert does not cause me pain, even though I've always been told that I overpronate.

Regarding Generation UCAN, it's a "superstarch" powder that you mix up and drink before a run. It's a type of cornstarch that does not spike your blood sugar like the typical ingredients in gels and sports drinks. It delivers steady energy and shouldn't upset your stomach because this type of starch cannot be digested in the stomach and only gets digested in the intestines.

http://running.competitor.com/2012/04/nutrition/the-science-behind-high-molecular-carbohydrates_50415

http://generationucan.com/home.html
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Yay for wicked trail for Varda! I honestly believe everyone should do more trail running.

Laura I hope your recovery is quick! The pic you friend sent looks like a beautiful trail.

Tim that Generation UCAN sounds intriguing I wonder if I can find it in Aus.

My run last night.... 12.1km which was intended to be an easy run, even going by pace it would appear to have been an easy run. Although it was anything but easy. Right hammy was playing up, right achillies/heal was being annoying, left calf felt dead and the outer edge of the bottom of my left foot felt bruised.
    Several times I had to trick myself into continuing my run, rather than turning for home, until somewhere around the 8th km where I finally loosened up, legs felt good (tired but good) and I 'powered' on home.
    Longest run I've ever done without stopping/walking. and I now have something to work with for my own City to Surf 12k training/event as I'm already booked for this years proper one. Now to see if I can get this down to sub 60 if I'm having a good run. (Gods that is going to hurt!)
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Today's run was a giant, steamy pile of NOPE. My legs and lungs were just fine, but my brain just wanted to stay at home and sleep. I managed to squeeze in a mile and a half run and a mile and a half walk, before calling it quits, and then got some more walking in with a trip to the zoo. I'm hoping that I can get it together and run again tomorrow since I have my first 6k race on Sunday!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    tomorrow is my 1 year running anniversary! I am pretty excited. Today I hit 300 miles for the year, also very exciting! :) So many memories, so much of finding myself this year, it's been awesome.