Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hills are hard but they will become your friend after a while. You're doing the right thing by slowing down when you hit them.
    The first few times, you'll have to stop & walk but soon you'll make it to the top. That first time feels awesome. It's like you've conquered the beast. LOL!
    Hang in there. You're doing great.
    I've heard that keeping the treadmill at an incline of 1 to 2 simulates running outdoors. I try that when I'm on the treadmill and I'm not sure it works but an incline of 1 is quite doable (and it gives you the option of an incline of 0 when/if you get tired while running.....which has come in handy at times).
    I find it harder to find a good running pace on the treadmill. Outdoors, we adapt as we run (speed up/slow down) but the treadmill goes on and on at a steady pace. You may need to slightly adjust the speed up & down over your run.
    Let us know how you do on Friday. Well done today.
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just finished W6D2! I had a hard time trying to squeeze this run in last week, and was worried that after 5 days of not running that I wouldn't be able to do it...but it went well.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do think blisters are fully sorted by the right kind of shoe, but i understand its hard finding shoes. You may need to do some shorter runs or more walking in your shoes to get them used to your feet so they're not rubbing so much, or do what i do, and put plasters on my feet where i expect them to rub - doesn't always prevent it, but it makes it less painful.

I'm pretty sure my feet should be used to my shoes by now. I've had them for just over 2 months now. The problem didn't start until I started doing the longer runs in the training. I can't shorten my runs as I am getting for a 5k. I have heard of socks that would help, but I'm hoping for a more affordable solution!

Vaseline

Really? Not sure I've heard that one before!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I do think blisters are fully sorted by the right kind of shoe, but i understand its hard finding shoes. You may need to do some shorter runs or more walking in your shoes to get them used to your feet so they're not rubbing so much, or do what i do, and put plasters on my feet where i expect them to rub - doesn't always prevent it, but it makes it less painful.

I'm pretty sure my feet should be used to my shoes by now. I've had them for just over 2 months now. The problem didn't start until I started doing the longer runs in the training. I can't shorten my runs as I am getting for a 5k. I have heard of socks that would help, but I'm hoping for a more affordable solution!

Vaseline

Really? Not sure I've heard that one before!

I was getting blisters on the balls of my feet. I haven't had one in months now, since I started putting a thick layer of Vaseline on my foot before I put on my socks. (I wear a very thin sock inside my running socks.) No more blisters!
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I should be starting Week 7 today but the weather is insanely hot and humid. I'm really not sure I can run for 25 minutes in it.
  • IAmKellOnWheels
    IAmKellOnWheels Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    W6D1 done! And I ran the whole W5D3 20min! Whoop!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I should be starting Week 7 today but the weather is insanely hot and humid. I'm really not sure I can run for 25 minutes in it.

The heat can really be a challenge. Slow down, slow down some more. Keep running. You can do this. In the heat, expect to go slower and less distance. Your body is adjusting to the conditions and you're still getting stronger.
    You can do it. Just keep running.
  • Jonalee1977
    Options

The heat can really be a challenge. Slow down, slow down some more. Keep running. You can do this. In the heat, expect to go slower and less distance. Your body is adjusting to the conditions and you're still getting stronger.
    You can do it. Just keep running.

Thank you for your confidence!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

I was finding myself getting to overheated running in the evening and was literally soaked to the skin in sweat. By default there was a couple of times I went in the morning as I wouldn't have time to go that day if I didn't. It is so much cooler in the morning!! (I'm talking just as the sun is starting to come up.) I don't know if it is any less hot and humid where you are in the morning, but I've found that it works better for me at that time.
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am about to start week 3. I have done and completed this last year. I even did the 10km one but life happened and Im now back here. I look forward to the days I do the c25k as I seem to be in a much better mood.

Hope im not to late to join this thread..

Happy for some c25k friends....

• kristinwesterfield
    kristinwesterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Week 7, day 1 complete! Still feel like I'm slogging through it, but speed will come with time, right..?
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 1 complete! About halfway through I realized why I needed a COUCH to 5K running plan, but it felt great to finish :)
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well done....
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Last evening, I did w8d3. It wasn't a great run because I got side stitches for the first time since starting c25k and my one shin hurt. I still ran the 28 minutes, albeit slowly at some points, and was out for a total of an hour (3.5 miles). I was feeling kind of sorry for myself that I had to walk after the 28 minutes and then I thought...wait, I *ran* for 28 minutes which is something I sure couldn't do even last month.

I can't believe I only have 3 more sessions until I'm finished!
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am about to start week 3. I have done and completed this last year. I even did the 10km one but life happened and Im now back here. I look forward to the days I do the c25k as I seem to be in a much better mood.

Hope im not to late to join this thread..

Happy for some c25k friends....

I too am doing C25K again. First time was last summer. I ran a 5k and then 'life happened'. I understand that phrase but I really want to learn how to not let it happen again. I finished week 5 yesterday (the 20 min run wasn't easy with an extra 15 lbs more than last year but I knew I could do it so the brain wasn't an interferrence).

Repeating behavior makes it a habit. Cheers to creating a positive habit... running
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    W6D3 done!! Looks like it's all running (even if it's at a turtle's pace!) from here on out. :)
  • SquishyLaughter
    SquishyLaughter Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    W6D2 today! And my running buddy is recovering from her injury, so she just walked the entire distance today. Due to that, I slowed my jog, and felt great when it came time to walk, so I jogged the whole time until the cooldown. 23 minutes, and it was EASY
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I did W2D2 this morning. My route is slightly uphill on the way back and I am finding that quite hard. I slow down on those intervals but have ended up walking for part of them. I will be running on a treadmill on Friday so I wonder what, if any, difference that will make. At the moment I think I might have to repeat week 2. Will see how I get on on Friday. It's still a good way to start my day!

Being very bashful about running outside, I began my Week 1 and Week 2 running in a circular route in my neighborhood that included a monster hill smack in the middle. I took me two loops on the whole route to get in my session so I faced that awful hill two times each session. I thought I would have a heart attack at the top of it whenever my session had me running during that part. Anyway, on Week 3 i finally took my run out onto a main road that was straight and for the most part pretty even/flat. I have to believe that my first two weeks of 'ups and downs' in my neighborhood really worked me because when I finally hit the main road it seemed so much easier. I think I was developing endurance or lung capacity or something those first two weeks. So cheer up! The hilly places whether you walk or run them are doing some good I'm sure and later you'll be stronger for it! Good luck!
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I repeated week 4 one time and am now in Week 5 - just completed day 2 today. I was very nervous about running two 8 minute segments straight. Just didn't think I had it in me, but somehow I managed it pretty well! I was so excited when I finished. I did consciously force myself to slow down because I seem to jog at about a 12 min./mile clip - not that fast by some standards but I have read many people say it is better to slow down in the beginning as you increase the running increments. I'm sure that slow down must have helped me. Anyway, day 3 is a full out 20 minute run and while part of me is saying 'no way can I do that!' I'm learning to trust the C25K program. I can't wait to see how that goes!
  • Jonalee1977
    Options
    I was scheduled to run Week 7, Day 1 yesterday but chickened out due to the heat and ended up running this morning. I thought I was going to die. I seriously wanted to quit more than once. I don't think I was properly hydrated because after I was done I was light-headed, had chills and goosebumps, my mouth was pasty, and I felt awful. I still don't feel like I've snapped out of it and have had a general "blah" feeling all day.