Did you swim today?

Replies

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,027 Member
    Yes, 2 miles @ 77 min.
    Back on track YTD = 221 miles / goal (300) = 73%
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Best swim ever today - managed to swim 2 miles in 63 minutes. Only 3 minutes to shave off this to reach the target I set myself a year ago.
  • I swam 3 days in a row, did some water running to mix it up, and also did some running/weights/elliptical/bike/zumba. I wish I was well to do enough to design a house where I could build an indoor pool, and mini gym, b/c I'd be swimming and doing the other activities as much as possible.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    @ Panda - Great job, those 3 minutes will be gone in no time!!!!!

Swam today for the first time since twisting me knee up pretty good a week & a half ago. It's been improving steadily, so I gave it a try today. A little rusty, but shook most of that off. Freestyle was ok, even kicking, but flip turns are still out (for now) & I didn't try the other strokes yet. I'll try them later on today, just wanted to see what I was able to do while I had the chance to get laps in......
  • Macstraw
    @ Panda - Great job, those 3 minutes will be gone in no time!!!!!

Swam today for the first time since twisting my knee up pretty good a week & a half ago. It's been improving steadily, so I gave it a try today. A little rusty, but shook most of that off. Freestyle was ok, even kicking, but flip turns are still out (for now) & I didn't try the other strokes yet. I'll try them later on today, just wanted to see what I was able to do while I had the chance to get laps in......
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Hey Macstraw. Sorry to hear about your knee. Knees are my downfall. Both had cartilage removed and orthpedist says knee replacement in my future. Trying to make it til I get medicare. I have a question for my open swim on Sunday the 10th. I don't know how much to warm up. I know what I do in the pool but don't seem to get my groove until about 1/4 the way into my mile. Anyone else can add their 10cents ( inflation) also.
  • AlicesGrandma
    AlicesGrandma Posts: 48 Member
    Yep, I went to water aerobics this morning and worked out for an hour. It was a tough one because Leslie (instructor) was doing some different things. We always do intervals. Today we also did a lot of arm work. :drinker: <--NOT that kind!
  • Macstraw
    Thanks, Holly - I was aggravated because that was the knee I hadn't injured before (dislocated the other one twice as a teenager & had a minor partial tear in the meniscus a few years ago - the orthopedist who replaced my hips said he'd have a relationship with my knee in the future). Seems to be good, I tested the other strokes briefly this afternoon & it seems to be OK so I'll try doing more on Wednesday & I'm gonna try to get back to walking tomorrow morning......

As for the warm-up for the OW swim, I don't have any real experience in them so I'll leave it for those who have done them to give you specifics. I will, however, be thinking of you on Sunday & wishing you the best of luck.......
  • Bruceapple
    Yes, 2 miles @ 82 min.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 947 Member
    Recovered from flu!
    Good to be back in the pool!
    Back to the usual - 2.4 km mostly in I.M.
    About 80 to 85 min!
  • 60sPanda
    McStraw - just wanted to let you know that I have also a false hip (just the one) so its good to see we don't let it affect us (swimming is just the best).

Take it easy with the knees - I know that I really have to stretch my quads and do my hip flexor exercises reguarly in order to help stave off knee problems. Don't push too hard too soon.

Had to edit to say yes, I did swim this morning!
  • Macstraw
    Thanks, Panda - I am taking it easy as I work back into things. I did a mile walk this morning instead of my usual 3-4 & seem to have recovered well from it (I was even able to do some yard work this afternoon with no issues) & I had no trouble walking back & forth coaching swim practice tonight. The only swimming I did today was a little bit of fly & breast to make sure things are still OK (they are) & try a few flip turns (that went OK, but I'll see how I do when I get my swim in tomorrow). The plan for tomorrow is to do what I was doing before I twisted the knee, it's a fairly light workout as it is & I will knock off if I have any issues at all - I'd rather miss a short time than really hurt myself.....
  • 60sPanda
    MacStraw - I wuold really re-consider breaststroke as you have to twist your knees out for the kick and its not that good for them. I do breaststroke with a fly leg which works well.

Glad to hear its getting better though :)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Yep I swam today. The frist time I got 2.1K in 65 min. Not a speed demon but made me happy.
  • Bruceapple
    Yes, 2 miles @ 86 min
    Moving slow this week
  • Macstraw
    Thanks, Panda. Luckily it seems to be all healed up - I was able to do flip turns & my normal work today, including all the strokes. I don't do a lot of breaststroke so I'm not kicking too much. If I have any lingering issues I will try to change, but if it stays OK I want to try to stay on top of the proper form.....
  • yep
  • AlicesGrandma
    Yeah, again, that's three days in a row... Leslie pushed us today too. But I will be there tomorrow! :happy:
  • Bruceapple
    Yes, 2 miles @ 80 min
  • 60sPanda
    Glad to hear the knee is good Macstraw.

Swam today and pushed myself on fly - I still can not manage to do more than one length at a time, but on the plus side I no longer need to break for a minute to get my breath back either. So this morning consisted of 10 sets of 8xcrawl, 1xfly, 1xback with no breaks. Then finished off with a nice leisurely breaststroke.
  • Macstraw
    Fantastic swim, Panda - one of the things I do to increase my fly distance is to do the first length, make my turn & swim fly as far as I can on the second length & then finish that length with free with the idea being trying to add even 1 stroke to the 2nd length as often as I can. If you're so inclined after you can do 2 lengths, start the 3rd & so on.......
  • Ambymaries
    Ambymaries Posts: 26 Member
    I'm new to this group! Hi!

I did not swim today as I had what seemed to me as a mild chlorine reaction yesterday after swimming. I bought a natural vaseline-like lotion to prevent it from happening next time but forgot it at home this morning! I want to try it out tomorrow and see if it helps with preventing a future reaction.
  • AquaticQuests
    Welcome Ambymaries!
    We all enjoy swimming in here!
    Don't be discouraged by some of the distances you'll hear people posting about, in case you're not there yet!
    :-)
  • AlicesGrandma
    I did not swim today, after five consecutive days of it. Plan to go back tomorrow, though. :love:
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Hi folks.
    I got back in the water today after a 10 day break. I needed to rest a very sore shoulder. I am working on bilateral breathing in hope that my right side won't get so sore.
    I only did 1600 easy free and breast today. Tomorrow I will do 2000.
    I love reading all of the tips and advice here. Thanks very much!
    Cindy
    :smile:
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    I swam open water today. It was a fantastic experience. And no flip turns made it so liberating!
  • Macstraw
    Welcome back to the pool, Cindy. If your shoulder is just some soreness from overuse that's passing & not the result of an injury, you can go on the USA Swimming, they have an exercise program to strengthen uninjured shoulders (http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=1645&mid=702&ItemId=700). Swimmers tend to get pain in the shoulders because all the overhead motion is unnatural & the shoulder joint tends to be unstable, so the forces generated stress the joint. The exercises help strengthen the muscles around the joint, helping to make it more stable......
  • AquaticQuests
    I second Macstraw!

I used to get such bad shoulder pain from my swimming sessions (I incorporate alot of butterfly in my work outs), that it would put me out for months!
    The pain would make even every day tasks close to impossible!

Anyway, long story short, I discovered these exercises (http://youtu.be/tP7fV_d7cDQ) similar to the ones in Macstraw's link, and I have never had to stop exercise due to shoulder injury ever again!

I tend to do a number of them as warm ups in the changing room before my swim!

I'm pretty sure they or those from the usaswimming link earlier will help!

If it wasn't for those exercises, I doubt I would be swimming today!

:-)
  • Macstraw
    AQ, that' a great video - thanks. I think I'm going to incorporate some of those exercises with some of the USA Swimming ones. I just found links to videos of the USA exercises:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgo3g-Ge85Y
    Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r5d5Ux1jGs

The USA videos clarified some of the techniques for the exercises for me.......
  • Bruceapple
    YES 2 miles @ 81 min.