Daily check in

Options

Replies

• maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi, does anyone else here also have problems with a small pot-belly?!
    I am generally happy with my weight everywhere apart from my stomach! It seems all my weight goes directly to that area :/
    I don't have any curves either so I think I look very mismatched.
    Any tips would be really appreciated :)
  • DanaW13
    DanaW13 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Amy-- yes I've got the belly! It's weird cuz when I was younger I used to carry weight in my thighs, and my stomach stayed flat even if I gained 15 pounds! Around age 29, I suddenly started carrying weight in my tummy. I have researched it, and I've concluded that ab exercises (sit-ups/crunches/outages) will tighten your stomach a little. So if you are at or near your goal weight and just have a little flab, then those exercise will help. But if you are really carrying extra weight then weight loss (calorie reduction and cardio) is the only way to make it better. I.e., crunches will not redistribute my weight--that fat will still sit in my tummy! So I have about 10 more pounds to lose, with isn't a ton, so I am doing crunches to help make my tummy look better, but I'm not expecting it to really look good till those 10 pounds are gone. Weight loss is my priority!

So, I ate out yesterday and will again today and Saturday. It's one of those weeks (Thursday is my birthday) I have been over every day--I don't think I have been eating enough to gain, but I am expecting maintenance this week.

• ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Diet has been pretty good all week, with the exception of Tuesday, when I binged a little on popcorn at the theatre :P Had a slice of lemon meringue pie yesterday, as well. We'll see how weigh-in goes. Aside from that, nothing much else is new. I've started HIIT with the treadmill, doing intervals of 3.5 and 7.2 mph, so I'm excited about that. My trainer has been upping the intensity of my workouts, so I'm pretty much always sore, but it's so satisfying!
  • DanaW13
    Options
    I totally fell off the wagon this week. It was my birthday and I ate out a lot, and I got a nasty head cold. When I am sick I really lose my willpower. I am skipping weigh in this weekend. I want to get back on track and at least have one good week before thanksgiving!
  • ashleydawndill
    Options
    Happy Belated, Dana! Sorry to hear of your cold though, hope that clears up!

My weekend was terrible, on all accounts. Had some crap news on Saturday, and was too upset to eat. Sunday I got a virus and got suuuuper sick, which led to me not eating due to being unable to stomach anything. Took Monday off work/gym to recover, but calories were still very low. Back at it today, need to restore my body back to normal.
  • DanaW13
    Options
    Thanks Ashley! I'm sorry about your bad news and your illness. I hope you have started getting back to normal. It's good you are not like me--when I am upset and stressed, I just eat more.

Yesterday was better, but I am still sort of knocked out by this cold, and that still means low willpower. So I was still a little over. Looks like I will be starting a new job soon--I had hoped to be a size 6 before going back to work but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Oh well! I am not giving up though!
  • ashleydawndill
    Options
    That's the spirit! You're that much closer to a size 6, can't stop now! :) Congrats on the new job, too!

Went for a short run yesterday. My stomach was really sore yesterday though (probably from the lack of eating) so I got cramped up really quickly.. my knees were also killing me, they don't take well to running sometimes. Back to the usual today though, diet is back to normal and looking forward to some lifting
  • DanaW13
    Options
    Glad you are getting back to normal Ashley! Just do what feels right with the exercise--it will feel normal again soon.

I think I am being hit with round 2 of nasty cold :( not even thanksgiving yet, and I forget what it feels like to breathe easily through my nose. With illness and thanksgiving coming, it would be easy to give up on my diet; but I think my first day of work looming will help keep me on track.

Where is everyone? It's ok, I got lazy about the check in too over the past couple weeks. I'm trying to get back on track now.
  • ashleydawndill
    Options
    I was feeling pretty unmotivated to check in for a bit too, but I'm a pretty anti-social/introverted as it is. Hopefully they come back!

I hope round 2 leaves quickly, Dana, what a pain.

Weigh-in is tomorrow so I'll see how this virus affected my body, given the major deficit.. My trainer asked if fitness competitions were something I had ever looked into. I never have, because I don't see myself ever wanting to get as lean as the competitors are. But still, super flattering to hear that I could do well in that field! :D
  • DanaW13
    Options
    Hi ashley, and anyone else still reading this! I'm sorry I disappeared. I think I have some good excuses though. I hosted thanksgiving while both my son and I had sinus infections, and I started a new job. Also, I lost a friend to cancer this past week. It has been a hectic and very emotionally tumultuous time.

I will weigh in this weekend--I don't think I've done too much damage. The new job is motivating me to get thinner--I really want to look good in my new work clothes!

Ashkey that's awesome that your trainer thought you should compete! What did you decide to do?

I am guessing everyone will be a little less dedicated to check ins during the holidays, but I hope we can keep the group together. At the he very least, I'm sure I will want to have a New Years weight loss effort come January. Maybe I will message some of our group members at some point...
  • DanaW13
    Options
    128.4 this morning, which is basically maintenance over the past month or so. I am happy with this considering everything that's been going on, and last night was girls night out!
  • ashleydawndill
    Options
    Happy to hear from you Dana, welcome back. :)

So sorry for your loss, that's terrible news. Thoughts are with you xx

Sounds like you've been doing pretty good, all things considered. I've been doing better physically-- down to 135, and 25% BF. I'd still like to lose another 5% BF, so I'm working on that. Getting much stronger though, biceps are actually existent now! Not really interested in any sort of competitions (aside from those with myself), but my trainer gave me a list of foods that another trainer uses for competitions, in case I changed my mind.

Emotionally, life has been a bit rough on my end too. Some relationship woes that I wasn't prepared for at all, but I'm trying to work my way through it. My grandmother has been pretty ill and had something like a mini-stroke, and my job situation is pretty unstable, so I've been stressed out a lot. I'd probably take to drinking, if it weren't for the excessive calories.. lol. (kidding. sort of)
  • DanaW13
    Options
    Wow, it sounds like you have a lot of of difficult stuff going on, Ashley--I'm sorry. I hope things stabilize on all fronts. It is a shame about drinking and calories--maybe try smoking? Just kidding ;)

Keep up with the exercise! I find it really helps me mentally when things are tough, and it is better for us than drinking and smoking :). Sounds like you are doing really well with fitness and weight loss, that's great! Have an occasional drink to reward yourself.

I have been working extra hours to compensate for being new and slow, and that is cutting into my exercise time, so I am frustrated with that. I hope in the future have time to stop at the gym on my way home from work. So I didn't work out much this week and I hope I have been just maintaining. This weekend I am going to Miami beach with a girlfriend (so excited!!!). I had hoped to be a little thinner for it, but I will try for that next year (this is becoming a yearly trip). My friend and I are both packing our running clothes!
  • ashleydawndill
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words :) Things are improving a bit in some areas, still a little stressed in others. My temp job position ends next Friday, so I'm a little worried about having a new job in time.. we'll see how that goes.

I've gotten to the point now where I view alcohol as a punishment, rather than a reward. Not sure if that's good or not!

That's frustrating with your job cutting into your time for exercise, but it sounds like a smart decision to make. This way you'll learn and get things done faster, and soon enough you'll be able to start leaving earlier and having time for other things. Miami sounds fantastic, hope you have a great time!
  • DanaW13
    Options
    Thanks Ashley! Good luck with the job; I'm sorry you have so much stress now, especially during the holidays. I always find if I going through a really stressful time, but still control my weight, it gives me a big boost--at least one thing going well right? So keep it up!

I leave today and get back Tuesday, so I probably won't check in again till Wednesday or Thursday :)
  • DanaW13
    Options
    That photo is amazing Ashley! Doesn't look like you need to lose any! I hope things are getting better for you in the other areas...

Piña coladas and mojitos were so good in Miami! I did run almost everyday while there though, once in the sand, which was hard. Pants are feeling tighter, haven't stepped on the scale. I'm trying to do a little damage control before Christmas!
  • ashleydawndill
    Options
    Thanks Dana! Still have a bit of BF to lose, but I'm getting there... Kind of worried about how I'm going to maintain, cause the second I slip up even a little the scale jumps with it too. :/ Things are a little better life-wise, still working that out.

Good to hear you got lots of exercise in! I bet the drinks were delicious! Sounds like you did a pretty good job though, all things considered, glad you had fun!
  • DanaW13
    Options
    Hi Ashley, how are things going with the holiday? Do you celebrate christmas? I have been eating a TON this week, and am not ready to face the scale. I'm positive I've been gaining. And it is not over--lots of family/social visits this week...
  • NewJulie001
    NewJulie001 Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good morning. I haven't logged into MyFitnessPal in awhile. I have gained back 6lbs since Thanksgiving. Time to pay attention!! My goal is to log in every day, every meal until I reach my goal weight. This site keeps me accountable and helped me lose 32 pounds in the past 14 months. So time to get back on track. Happy New Year!
  • DanaW13
    Options
    Welcome NewJulie! Weigh in this morning tells me I've gained about 5 since thanksgiving, so I am in the same boat and will definitely be making a new commitment for the New Year.