Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    @girlwithcurls2‌ You KNOW how technical swimming is. I think even the best of swimmers don't exactly experience that zen flow all that often when training. I'm hardly in that category, and I am thinking about what I am doing more often than not. It's just that when you are watching a good swimmer, they don't LOOK like they're working hard, ya know?
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Curly - sticking with it on those days is a BIG victory. As you've seen, the more you relax the better you will swim. Although you want to pay attention to technique, particularly when you're working on something in particular, don't let it weigh on you so heavily that you're stressed about it or making yourself tense. Just be aware of it - you'll find you'll be better able to get the feel for where you're at with it & what you need to do to make it feel better. Look at the things that you've worked on already, now they're to the point where you're aware of them but they aren't so much at the forefront of your mind. When you're feeling one of those days coming on, try taking a few deep breaths to clear the mind & do a couple of laps where you aren't thinking about anything at all to do with swimming - you're just letting your body swim. Then you can kind of get a feel for what you want to work on that day (if anything) & don't focus so hard that you're back to feeling stressed about it.......
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 72 minutes
    Happy to be back at the pool.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    1.5 km ~ 60 mins. A decent swim as I was in a lane with 3 slightly faster swimmers so I had to push it to keep from being a blocker for the other swimmers. Lost track of my lap count so tracked off one of the other swimmers. Jan 6,2015 - Tuesday night we start the 2015 Stroke Improvement Lessons so I am looking forward to some technique tweaks and some additional pool time.

@ Noel Kudos to your family for the gift of swim wear to you. Feels kind of nice when family / friends give you an un-expected gift that " Hits the mark ".
  • juliet3455
    Options
    So Today when I was leaving the pool a few of the Life Guards and front office staff said congratulations to me. Naturally I was confused - they then pointed out a list of high kilometer members in the Alexander Mackenzie (Swimming challenge at our local pool and from April 1 to Dec 31,2014 and I managed 118 km's ( 73.3 Miles ). The high km person had 450 km { 279.6 miles } . If I extrapolate my 9 month - 118 km then theoretically I should be able to manage about 157 km ( 97.5 miles) for the year. I will try to make it 160 km ~ 100 miles for the year.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone - I have been swimming regularly while I haven't been on the site, but will be reporting swimming as normal from today onwards. Good news over the holidays in the I achieved a PB and swam 3 km in exactly 1 hour. Very pleased with that.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1500 yards 44:38
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 71 minutes
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    25x50 yards@ 34 min
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,513 Member
    Options
    1500m breast in 38 minutes. Could have done it a bit faster, but for some reason I was dreaming during the first 500, and then had problems with my goggles. I was not out of breath at all in the end. Guess that says it all. Must do better next time :wink:
  • juliet3455
    Options
    1000 m free ~ 45 mins + 250 m Back/Side stroke practise.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I did swim. No idea how far, and certainly not fast. Overall, not a great swim. On a positive note, I found myself looking forward to going, and leaving quite un-discouraged! :)
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Hey, you SWAM. If you think of each workout as a jelly bean in the jar, it means the brilliant workouts and the crap ones are still both worth a jelly bean...

1300 37:27

Fitocracy tells me I've gotten the 100 km badge. I've been tracking since August.
  • Bruceapple
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes: 1 mile @ 34 min.(PB) + 1 mile @‌ 41 min.
    + 2015 GOAL = 365 MILES: YTD = 6
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    3600 1:46:41

I did that because on a marathon swimming board, I was advised to see if I COULD swim two miles in preparation for Son of a Swim next summer.

Why yes, I can. And it's going to be at least a month before I do THAT again!

Wow Noel. Those distances are rising up mighty quick. Great job!
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Noel, I'm sure they see your excitement too - it's obvious that they support you :-)

Happy New Year to all my swimming MFPals, may 2015 bring you all the happiness, success & health you seek....

And a happy new year to you too Mac and all the other swimmers too. You guys are great!
    bama6977 wrote: »
    20x50, 30 min. First time in over 3 weeks due to pool being closed. Could feel all the Holiday celebration the entire time. :)

Welcome back Bama
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    So Today when I was leaving the pool a few of the Life Guards and front office staff said congratulations to me. Naturally I was confused - they then pointed out a list of high kilometer members in the Alexander Mackenzie (Swimming challenge at our local pool and from April 1 to Dec 31,2014 and I managed 118 km's ( 73.3 Miles ). The high km person had 450 km { 279.6 miles } . If I extrapolate my 9 month - 118 km then theoretically I should be able to manage about 157 km ( 97.5 miles) for the year. I will try to make it 160 km ~ 100 miles for the year.

Hotting milestones you didn't even know about. Good feeling!
    Such impressive numbers! Noel, you CAN do it!!! And hooray! You don't have to again for a while, lol!

I'm pretty sure that my upper and lower body were working against each other yesterday. I'm so sick of being a beginner and not getting to just swim and think about nothing. I did 2x50 freestyle with board work in between those tiny, short "sets" (if you can call them that!). Did that for about 15-20 minutes. Then because I wanted to get out, I changed things up and started doing only 1x25 freestyle, then used the board on the way back. I didn't want to go in the first place, and I wasn't swimming well, so I kept making deals with myself about how long I had to stay. Ended up staying 40 min instead of 20, so that was my victory. The pool was empty, so it seemed a shame to waste a day of a free lane. I eventually gave up "working out" and thought about my minor successes since September when I actually started swimming laps. I had to dig pretty deep to find some, but I also realized that if I give up now, then for what? I feel like the only way out of this is to keep going forward, if that makes any sense. My adult brain can overthink things at times, and it just plain gets in the way. I did find that when I stopped trying to make it a better swim day, and I started thinking about what has gotten better, my body relaxed and I swam a little better. Not a drastic difference, but enough that I decided to stay those extra 20 minutes because it wasn't so awful anymore :)

I realize what a mental case I sound like each time, but if you knew me IRL, the fact that I am sticking with ANY physical activity over months is uncharacteristic. Out of 7 kids, I was the least physical of them all. Learning these things in middle age is tricky (but not impossible!!)

Above all, remember to enjoy yourself in the pool even as you work on all the elements!
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 71 minutes

:)
    yirara wrote: »
    1500m breast in 38 minutes. Could have done it a bit faster, but for some reason I was dreaming during the first 500, and then had problems with my goggles. I was not out of breath at all in the end. Guess that says it all. Must do better next time :wink:

Welcome back Yriara.
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Morning everyone - I have been swimming regularly while I haven't been on the site, but will be reporting swimming as normal from today onwards. Good news over the holidays in the I achieved a PB and swam 3 km in exactly 1 hour. Very pleased with that.

Wow Panda. Back to your speedy best. I have some catching up to do :smile:

Been swimming short distances some of last week, then was abit under the weather health wise. Hope to resume serious swimming in a few hours if the body cooperates. If not, I'll just ease back into it!

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Tell us how it goes, AQ! One of the reasons I stick with this is because it is something I can always go back to after illness, injury or whatever. The running I love, but I might not be able to carry it off forever. How'd you do today?
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Back in Swimming Lessons. 6 weeks - 2 days a week. Stroke Improvement. I knew that my kick was weak and it definitely showed. But that's why I am taking the Lessons.
    We have 3 different groups - All adults - Swim Basics 2, Stroke Improvement and Masters Swim Club. 5 - 8 people per group. So a nice mix of people and skills.
    Hard to log any distance with all the exercises that we are doing.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    @ 60sPanda
    Congratulations - Great Job for that distance. I usually power out before I can get up to the 3 km distance.
    60sPanda wrote: »
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments - I am doing a 5km charity swim in April and really want to complete it around the 1 hour 40 mark. Now if I can just do the additional 2km in 40 minutes I will be spot on.... Hope to get the time to do a 5k practice over the weekend so will see how that goes.

Been in the pool again the past 3 mornings and each day have swam 2km in exactly 40 mins, plus an extra 5 minutes to cool down. Its a shame that I only have 45 mins in the morning to swim as I would love to have longer.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    2.5 km (ish lost count) 55 min
    Panda by April I just hope to be doing the pace that you are already doing now LOL