Please join us

Options

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,274 Member
    Options
    I'm checking in now because Jeff and Iva have invited us to their house for dinner tonight. I haven't been to the house since I helped paint the kitchen cabinets and I've heard they've done a lot. Anxious to see the improvements. Jeff wants his birth certificate that I still have in a file and we want to talk to him about being executor of our assets, etc. He doesn't know this yet. Surprise!

We went to dinner and the concert last night. It was fun! We had won the tickets in a silent auction when we went to a charitable fundraiser this past fall. The leader of the band also runs a foundation that feeds the hungry so he donated the tickets to the auction. It was his band that was playing a show called The Songs of Van Morrison. He's the lead vocalist. It was a small venue and a great band with pianos, horn section, guitar and bass, drummer, female vocals and the vocalist. We had dinner at Houlihan's. It was a late night (for us) when we got home (after 11). I was beat and went straight to bed.

Today is beautiful out. We walked the dogs for 50 minutes yesterday but the sidewalk was snowy and icy. It wasn't a fast pace but my legs felt it from having to take small steps and my body was tense. Sore muscles today. I finished the painting the two pieces of furniture and need to put some seal on them today. I used Cottage Paint so I want to protect the surface. I won't use this paint on the table and chairs when I paint them.

Shirley- When you get back from Jamaica it will be almost sailing season :) We heard Target was closing in Canada. Do you know why? Do people there prefer another big store better? Sorry your friend is losing her job. It takes a long time for them to close though so maybe she has several months of work left.

Amy- You are getting exercise shoveling too. Your arms must be strong. I was telling L that my mom was always making comments to me too about appearance. When her dementia advanced to not knowing us most of the time, those comments ceased. For awhile it was a relief to not hear them but it was also sad that she didn't know us to care. On one of my visits to Michigan to visit her several years into her illness, she made a judgmental comment on what I was wearing and said it something like "that isn't becoming on you" or "that doesn't look like something you would wear"... I was wearing a quarter zipper fleece top over a tank top and the zipper was only zipped half way. No cleavage or anything, LOL! Any way I was actually ecstatice that she made the comment because it felt like she was in there some where and recognized me. Who would have thought a negative comment would have made my day!

Ang- A friend made a cross stitch for my first born son and I made one for my second. I started the one for my 3rd son and never finished it. I wonder where it is? Nice of you to make those for others.

L- I agree with Amy. You look terrific (photos on Facebook)!

Well things to do....have a nice day!
    Jenny
  • lcrockett
    lcrockett Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Wrapping up a nice weekend of sunshine. We started Saturday in the 30's and got to the 40's and today we hit 60. Pearl and I thoroughly enjoyed it! We stopped by the set to watch the activity for a while Saturday and then that night my husband and I went to a wine tasting benefit. I have to say it was a bit of a bore. The wine that was to be tasted was from a local grocer. They did have several beers from south LA breweries and one vendor for rum. Oh well, it was for a good cause.

I put in a couple of days of work last week and will do the same this week. We are off tomorrow, but headed to north LA for my kids well visits with our pediatrician. I know it's crazy to make such a drive, but we just love this pediatrician that much! He comforted and reassured me as a new mom and has been an amazing counselor for my kids.

Woop Woop for the raise Amy!

Movie popcorn and beer sounds soooo good Shirley. I think American Sniper is one I'm going to have to watch at home -- alone. Hope you share pictures of the baby blanket you are working on.

Ang, I've always enjoyed cross stitching. I can't help but to wonder if that contributed to my eye focusing issues. I read several posts back from you about wearing contacts. Do you find that you see as well in them as glasses? I'm such a newby to contacts and still have a lot of questions. I'm trying out a new prescription now. They are a bit thicker so I don't thave the problem with them flipping inside out as easily. I still have a hard time telling if the are wrong before putting them in when they do though. Do you order yours online?

Jenny, I loved the fox picture and all of the snow. Your dinner sounded interesting and the book as well.

Hey, Marla. How was the weekend?

Have a good evening.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Jenny - Target came in and they came in to fast. I found their prices weren't the same as in the US and that Walmart was usually better. The quantity of the product was extremely low all of the time with a lot of empty shelves. They might have done better if they started out slower coming in. The funniest thing I find is that Sears is offering people at Target jobs when Target closes in the next 4-6 months. Sears is having their own struggles to stay afloat!

Amy - It's fine. It hurt for a couple of days and hasn't since. Not sure what I did to it that one day, but it hasn't happened since. (*fingers crossed*) We probably do have similar weather! Though you probably get a lot colder. We did have a bitter cold day on Saturday with the wind; however, right now it's above freezing and we are under a rainfall warning for tomorrow! The temperature will plummet well below freezing and then jump right back up and be above freezing only to drop back down by the next day. Really hate yo-yo temperatures!

Jenny and Shirley - I started doing cross-stitch when I was 10, so I've been doing it for 25 years now. Though I got out of it for awhile. I have a few that I did that I kept for myself. (Mostly all cat ones!) I will have to see about taking pictures and posting them.

I had a nice surprise at church today! One of my second cousins, that I haven't seen since he was probably not even in school yet, was there! Apparently he was in the city looking at colleges. Colleges!!!!! I would never have recognized him! One of the ladies in my church had to introduce me to my own cousin!

Well I need to take care of my supper dishes and then I need to get to bed! I am bound and determined to get back into my morning exercise routine! I planned on that today, but when you go to bed at 1am......... Oh well! Tomorrow is a new day! Time to workout and time to start dealing with my procrastination issue!
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    ang - what a nice surprise to see your cuz at church.

L - it's great to have that kind of good feeling about your doc - the doc who delivered the boys and was my PCP moved a number of years ago and I still miss her. We still go to the same clinic - but I just don't heart the others.

Basketball for varsity is shaping up to be the season of zero. No wins so far and honestly it's not looking good - it's not that they're bad - just not clicking and still no fast break and honestly if he's going to put Zach at high post who is going to be under the basket? I have to say I feel wicked smaht when I say things high post, good feeds and, "AY, HE'S CAMPING!" ;>) Games tomorrow night away - all teams - come on, NO WHAMMIES. The boy and I have reached yet another I am going to snap his head off. A note this morning from Algebra teacher - an assignment from last Wednesday still not turned in. Oh really? Because I asked specifically about that at least five times. Oh Zach? I swear it has become what they blog about with power struggle. I have taken everything away and I guess he feels his only item of power left is to just not do it. I don't know. whywhywhy is this so hard? He's not doing anything 'bad' - he's just killing me because it shouldn't be that big of a deal - I know it's not too challenging - of course there could be social issues I'm not aware of - but GAH

hope everyone had a nice weekend!!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday if you could say that! It's a holiday over in the states, Martin Luther King Day.

I finished the baby blanket and yes I will post it when I figure out how to do it myself.
    I am going to wait until Dave goes to his board meeting tonight and then I will get my instructions out. Its not hard, just never did it myself.

Today was Yoga Practice and meditation. Then went to see my MIL for a visit but she was not home, went to a funeral. So I drank her coffee and mine too. I did some grocery shopping and doing laundry. I have started taking apart and downsizing my recipes and starting a new book just for healthy meals to do everyday. Then another binder for company and party recipes. I purged a lot of magazines and recipes that I never used.
    MFP has started sending recipes to me on email so I will take those as new ones.

Have a good night.

Shirley

• jrbanta
    Options
    It was nice to have today off. I went to the gym this morning and did the elliptical for 20 minutes and then leg presses. On Saturday I walked 50 minutes with the dogs. I added them at the same time on MFP but on different days. They clumped my calories together.

I put one finish coat on the two pieces of furniture I've been working on for my hobby room. I hope I don't need another coat. Ready to move on to table and chairs. The guy came to put the new front on the fireplace today and clean the whole thing inside and out. We can use it now so I have it on to heat up the house a little more and give it a chance to work. It's been off since early fall.

I'm tired so I haven't reviewed all the posts. I'll comment later. We were out late again last night since we ate at Jeff and Iva's. Dinner was good and we had a nice time. It's nice going to your child's house for dinner and letting them be the host.

Have a nice evening!
    Jenny
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    terrible start to the day today ! my oncall work phone woke me up at 6:20 - I'm supposed to be at work at 6am :blush: I had to jump up ,get dressed and go ! How embarrassing .
    - I'm now having one of my stupid days where I have to check everything twice because I keep messing every thing up lol.
    - Oh well tomorrow is a new day .
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    ball tonight away - already feeling blah - because nobody enjoys getting the big "L"

Amy - I hate oversleeping - it makes everything off
    Jenny - good workout!
    hey everyone else!!
  • AmyZ46
    Options
    Good Morning everyone ,
    Work ,Work, Work today lol . I had 20 men sign in for drug tests between 0600 and 0645 ! and One scheduled for a fit test and lung test ! OMG it was busy this morning Thank Goodness Today wasn't the day I over slept . It would have been awful ! But boy did those first few hours fly by .

Amy
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Amy- I agree with Marla, sleeping too late sets the whole day off. Sometimes my alarm does not go off. Luckily my body clock seems to know it's time or my cat lets me know.

Marla-Sorry your team is losing a lot. It makes for a frustrating season for the boys. Sometimes the crowd doesn't make it easier with their comments either.

Shirley- good job on your yoga and meditation. I finally got the schedule for the yoga classes at my gym. Now I need to fit it in after work. Do you crochet or knit? I'd love to see a picture of the blanket or see the pattern if it's knitting.

L- sounds like you and Pearl are getting in some great walks. Maybe you will get in the movie!

Ang- That's cool you met your cousin at church. Funny that you had to be introduced but time changes looks and he was so young when you last saw him. I wouldn't know some of my cousins kids if I met them on the street.

Well today has been interesting. Both of my home visit appointments canceled due to illness at the last minute. I've been at Caribou Coffee all afternoon working on paperwork waiting to attend my 2:30 appointment. Mom called me about 1pm to cancel. I've finished my work and will get to go home on time. I would have been home later due to appointment. Busy day tomorrow with 4 appointments back to back. Will be in the office briefly in the morning only.

Well time to sign off and go home. Have a nice evening.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    didn't get home until almost 10 last night so a very short night - but both of the boys teams came away with a win (oh thank goodness at least they got one) - and Caleb made his first game bucket at the JV game - very exciting.

hair color this afternoon (way overdue) and Zach has drama club, weights at the high school and Caleb has ball training with Jack - phew - at least after that it will be quiet for the rest of the evening - the next few weeks are going to be hair raising - roundball tourney is sounding to be mammoth - there are over 250 rsvp'd for the banquet on Saturday night so there will be that many and MORE that are filtering in and out of school for the two day tourney - I'm exhausted just thinking about all the concession time, gate fee collection, board running, cleaning, etc that is going to be required. Plus making sure my house is hospitable for 4-6 boys to sleep and eat breakfast Sat night/Sun am. Yowza.

have been trying various protein bars and drinks with Zach to find something he will willingly eat because I have been very concerned about all his 'eating light' - I'm like eating light is one thing - but you can't run for two solid hours (back to back games) on half a granola bar. You've also got a growth spurt coming for you anyday now and you gotta feed it - so I've got one who I am fighting with to eat more and one (Caleb definitely on the thick side right now) I worry about eating too much. Anyway - he hated all the bars he tried - but really likes one of the drinks and has been drinking the heck out of something called core power - of course it was the most expensive thing I picked up - meh - I wonder if I can recreate it with vanilla protein powder and strawberries? Prolly not.
  • lcrockett
    lcrockett Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Day two of work this week. I'm going to stick in for a bit longer and calling it a day around 2 PM and possibly even a week. I come back full time next week and my dance card is full. It's not like I haven't been putting in plenty of hours of work from home, so no guilt on my part. When I got home from work yesterday the big hydrolic lift with seats for the film crew was blocking my parking. I didn't even mind. I still think it's so cool to watch all of this unfold. While I was outside last night I could hear them yell, "Rolling!" Yes, I'm easily entertained. When they've filmed in our town before, it has always been while we were either on vacation or a few blocks away so I didn't get to see as much activity.

Marla, our boys have hit a losing streak in basketball. Not only that, they lost two players to grades and one to a poor attitude. With one new recruit our team is up to 7 players. It's hard to watch some nights. Last night being one of them. Congrats to your boy's wins. Scoring the first points in a game is a huge deal!! WTG Caleb! The only phrase I know to say is, "box out" but not sure when to say it. What does it mean when someone is "camping"? I get an added bonus at our game Friday night. The Eagelettes are dancing so I get to watch my girl do her thing. It'll be the last for the school year.

Sounds like everyone is getting in some exercise. That's great! I find myself putting off my walks which is a terrible habit to start. I haven't been able to reset my watch to capture my current weight so it's not giving my real calories burned. Naturally I can't put my fingers on the instructions and the internet wasn't helpful. Seeing the calories burned is a good motivator for me. I like trying to beat the last saved number.

My latest indulgence has been roasted grape tomatoes with garlic, feta, and bacon. I think I could eat my weight! I have a gown from a few years back that I'm going to squeeze into for our ball on the 31st. But I've got to lay off of these dang tomatoes! We've been invited to another ball the following weekend, so back to trying on. This time solo!

How are the recipes that MFP sends, Shirley? I haven't taken the time to check any of them out. Hope all is well. Haven't heard from you in a couple of days.

Jenny, I'm glad to hear of cancellations due to illness. I imagine you are exposed to enough germs as it is. I'm always amazed by parents who send their kids to school with infectious illnessess. That's not the time to strive for perfect attendance in my opinion. Got to keep you well for Florida!

Marla, YIKES!! Sounds like a very exhausting weekend ahead.

Hi Ang and Amy.

Time to finish up my day at work...
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    L - camping is what Bernie taught me to yell (b/c I listened to him do it a lot last year) is for when they are over in the lane for more than three seconds - here is the official definition...Three seconds: No part of an offensive player may remain in the free throw lane for more than three consecutive seconds unless the ball is being shot. If the shot hits the rim, the player standing in the lane gets a new three seconds. Thus if you happen to be camping out in the lane for two seconds and the shot hits the rim, you may remain in the lane for another three seconds.
    After a player steps out of the lane, the count resets, and she can re-enter the lane for another three seconds. A player can go in and out of the lane as often as she likes. I like box out too - not yet fully onto when to yell that one - it seems like after free throws I hear it - oh and 'crash the boards!' - my favorite was from their first year when one of the boys was being basically hugged hunched over from behind - was one of the dads yelling, "It's not date night - you gonna call that?"
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am here and okay just busy. Yoga twice a week with meditation, aerobics all other days and weights one day a week. If I do the weights too much my arms kill. My arms are getting stronger with Yoga too.

I had choir practice last night and didn't have two of the songs in my book so I had to share. I am finding soprano too high for me might have to drop down to Sop 2. I told the director but she still kept in the same group. Oh well. We are off now for 2 weeks because our director is going to Disney with another group of singers.

Today was Yoga practice and then a visit with my MIL. She doing well and just completed another afghan for one of her great grand kids. Now she will start another one for the last great grand child on her side of the family. She still has one on the way in April. :D

Kathy and Fraser's move went well, their cats are adjusting and they love the house.
    I can't wait to see it but will have to wait until the first weekend in February. :( k

Here is a picture of the baby blanket I completed. It is folded in half so it is larger than picture. 48293gsjmsdq.jpg

• mizpaden74
    Options
    and it was really awesome to Caleb sink one last night - I don't think Zach shot at all his first year - it just started to become a thing and then it was like he 'couldn't' do it in his mind - he's (Zach) is just starting to loosen up and be willing to take shots. Caleb just went out there and pretty much everytime they fed him he turned at shot. He probably missed three others but they were all right there - he even pulled a two shot foul - he missed both but they both tapped the rim - freakin' awesome! that sounds weird to be excited about shooting and missing - but I AM! :>)
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Marla and L- Aw! I remember those basketball days. It seemed like we lived in the gym and went to weekend tournaments that took up Saturdays and Sundays. Enjoy!

I was suppose to have 4 visits today. My first one cancelled due to illness and the second one didn't answer the door. I banged on the door over and over but no one came and I didn't hear anyone inside. I usually hear the kids running to the door. I left and the mom called and asked if I was coming. She never heard all that knocking. Weird! So I had only two appointments today. Tomorrow is one meeting at a home and then office time. Maybe I can get organized. All this lesson planning and everyone is ill. I'm glad they cancel!

Shirley- you are doing great with exercise. You are rockin' it! How's South Beach going?

L- I would love to watch a Hollywood movie be filmed. I bet it is interesting to see all that goes in to one scene.

Marla- why do you think Zach isn't eating much? Has he become conscious of his size and weight and experiencing the whole teen pressure stuff?

Finally got the car washed today. I know it won't last long but it's nice to have the salt off of it. Tomorrow is Russ' birthday. He will be 56. We plan to go see the movie Selma tomorrow eve.

Well relaxing and home alone for awhile. Nice!

Have a nice night!
    Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    Jenny - I think it is a social pressure thing - although (and a month ago I would never had said this made me happy) last night he ate dinner and then five minutes later had a sandwich and about 20 after that started in on the pretzels - and the last of the cookies.

they weather is quite warm again - they are putting in new carpet in the office and what a goatfook - they've been at it all week and have only just gotten the one area the transportation div is - they were supposedly going to have the whole west end done by now - ha. we have to somehow move our stuff out of the area (who the heck knows how we are supposed to get our work done) - take all the cubicle wall down or jack them up and then let them do their thing - the fumes from the glue is making me sick and crabby and we are looking at probably at least two more weeks or more of this. Nightmare.

I think Zach has enjoyed starting weight training at the high school but he is certainly unused to the way the kids talk over there. There's a whole lot of f'bombs mom! With his eye wide. Yeah - that is one of many things that will be a culture shock for you guys. Not that he has never heard those words before and probably even said them occasionally - but definitely not casually like he will hear. It's disciplinary action if they do it at school now - the social learning curve will be steep - but I still don't regret keeping them sheltered for as long as I could.

shirley - cute blanket! I'm guessing she is doing a sock monkey theme? You can always work on some vocalizing exercises to see if that would get you more comfortable in the higher range - or just drop out on the notes that stretch you too much.

l - your tomato concoction sounds really good! I have to get my plan together for food for next week and the tourney - I'm thinking I'll make a couple of big pans of breakfast casserole for the boys who stay over and also try to have some other basic options in case that doesn't work for any of them - a couple kinds of cereal, some yogurt, toast or what not.

I am tired!! The boys both have a yucky cough and I was up several times with Caleb last night and the night before. He told me this morning his eyes were heavy - and then asked me why mine weren't - I laughed and said mine were too.
  • AmyZ46
    Options
    Marla , I was going to suggest some of the drinks but I see you already figured that out . I love odwalla bars but not every one likes them .

Shirley I love the blanket , it's fleece right? I have not made one like that yet but certainly want to try it. I plan on making two baby quilts when I get home if I don't work too much .

Eiko is kind of liking college ,I'm so glad because It's so expensive to put the money out there if she wont like it right? I just made the first payment yesterday I'm glad we chose to do it in a payment plan . It feels easier that way.

L so exciting about the movie !!! I wish I could see it happening ! Do you know I have never been to a Mardi gras ball? oh what city are you from again , I told Monica you were at that game but I couldn't remember the team ? I have a terrible memory .

Jenny , crazy that she didn't hear you that's insane ? I'm glad it gives you time for paperwork though .

Hi Ang !!
  • Shirley61
    Options
    My day sounds boring compared to all of you today but maybe that is the January blahs
    talking.

I took my MIL to the lab for her blood work today. She has her oncologist apt. next week and she will see after finishing Prednisone what the doctor will recommend next.
    After that we went to get some more dividers for my recipe binders and then a trip to
    Walmart where we both had a list of things to get. I suggested lunch and she paid and I left the tip.

After that I went home and finished dishes, made my bed and got my exercise in.
    Now back to my binders and recipes and then dinner. Time flies when you are having fun. :p

Thanks for the compliments on the blanket. Actually her theme is music notes, I don't know where she got that idea so the blanket he can carry around with him. I got the material before I knew about the theme. Go figure.

Jenny - There is a lot of the flu going around. I had my Avon rep come to the house and she knocked and rapped on the door and I didn't hear her either. She called me later that day I said I must have had the blow dryer on at the time or the blender doing my smoothie.
    It happens.

Amy- Yes the blanket is fleece and my first attempt. There are a couple of mistakes on the corners but it was my first time.

Marla - I mentioned to the director that I was having trouble reaching some of the higher
    notes and she said "Oh, do you want to go into Soprano 2?" I said yes I think so. She
    never moved me so I stayed where I was. There was also 2 songs missing from my binder so I had to share. Another learning experience.

Shirley
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Shirley - very nice blanket! I'm sure they will never notice the mistakes.

Went to bed at 8:30 last night and I still managed to oversleep and had to rush to get ready. Hate that. I'm trying to get up early enough to workout and I just can't seem to get it. I don't know why I am struggling so. I was doing good at getting up early for awhile, but it's been nearly 3 weeks since I was able to get up early and workout. I'm paying for a gym membership and not going! I need to go! I hope I can get myself up early enough tomorrow to go. I need to run! I so miss running. I think I need to learn how to balance my own personal schedule and my time better. I don't have much time at home in the evening because of my travel time with work. The one day this week that I did get a workout in, was the day that I was motivated all day long! (Though it's also the day I was doing a lot of snacking while supper was cooking!)