Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Sunday morning lift session

Squat 5x5 @‌ 150lbs.
    OHP 5x5 @ 60xlbs - babying my shoulder for a fortnight really helped as these puppies felt strong!
    Deadlifts 1x5@190lbs then 1x3@ 220lbs. Boooooyah!!!!

Latpulldowns, step ups, single arm thrust thingies and single arm press things as accessories

Tired now. Off to eat all the foodz
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    psych101 wrote: »
    Deadlifts 1x5@190lbs then 1x3@ 220lbs. Boooooyah!!!!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Go psych!!!!!! :D

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Was tired today but still did ok.

Workout B (Sat)

Dumbbell Skis - 5 x 10 - 40

Squats 5 x 3 - 125

Squats 5 x 5 - 175

Deadlifts 5 x 1 - 195 (yes, back to where I left off before accident!)

Bench Press 5 x 5 - 100

Reverse Curl 5 x 5 - 105

Underhand Biceps Curl 5 x 5 - 110
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Lol thanks @katro111‌ !! I was pretty stoked with myself lol
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Didn't push too hard today since I went after my night shift.

Squats - 5x5 at 125 lbs. Almost failed on the last rep! Yikes. I don't think it was really the weight, I think it was just a lapse in concentration. Debating repeating this weight, or going up to 130.

Bench - 5x5 at 70 lbs. This is a repeat again and actually felt a little too easy. Definitely moving up on this one.

Row - 5x5 at 75 lbs. If I didn't have to stack plates, I might actually enjoy these. I hate stacking plates, but can't get my form right if I don't.

Assisted pull ups - 3x5 at 40 lbs assist. First time at this weight, so I was pretty happy with 3x5.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Woah, I haven't checked in in a while. Hi guys! Been on a deload of sorts, here. After doing pretty crappy at my attempt at 15.1 (which turns out wasn't too bad, but it definitely felt like I could've given it more.)

Mixed feelings about today, too. I hadn,t done the bodyweight gauntlet in a while and figured now was a good time to test it out, since it's kind of a benchmark type of thing. The breakdown is easy. 3 min AMRAP of each move, 1 min rest in-between. Perform in any order you feel like. [Previous reps listed are from August 2 2014. Don't think I did it again after that. I was about 185lbs at the time, and today I just weighted in at 194 (lots of water weight, I've been cheating xD) so that's something to keep in mind as well]

Pull-ups (red band assist): [13] -> 12 (NOT happy, but I dug myself a hole going 3 reps unbroken on the very first set)
    BW squats: [92] -> 115 (Yeah baby! I can squat alllll day! lol)
    Push-ups: [46] -> 48 (Angry at myself because had I not rested at 48 I had the 49th rep in me. But I wanted to get 50 and didn't know i was running out of time. Bummer.)
    Burpees: [28] -> 32 (And damn these were hurtin'!)

Max plank hold (only 1 min after the burpees): 61s (laaaame, but I haven't done much planking lately so no endurance here)

400m run: [2:02 about a month ago] -> 2:06 (After 1 month of running at an incline, I started off way too slow on this and even though I ramped it up something fierce at the end, it was too little too late. Can't wait to be able to run outside, although with the snow we're getting that's not going to be any time soon.

I then did both my standing and kneeling hip mobility routines since I haven,t been hitting them consistently and my lower back and hips were getting real tight again (proof it works, right?) and did some low incline DB chest flyes with 15lbs cuz there was only 1 20lbs left xD Oh and a set of 12 reps of DB chest press with 35s xP
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i did a deadlift workshop today instead of going to the gym. not as much lifting, but totally worth it. and also smart, since whatever i was doing on friday i was doing it wrong enough to make most of my back far too unhappy for me to be willing to lift without supervision right now.

i'm finding out when i hurt, i can't use kinesthetic awareness anymore to tell me what my form is doing, because i'm just not getting the physical-sensation cues that i've gotten used to. so then my form tends to become just a process of random guessing, and it basically goes to hell. and then i hurt myself more.

the workshop was well useful though, cranky back and all. there's one thing in the rippetoe videos and photos that i adopted, which i am NOT going to do anymore. not that he prescribes it or anything, i've just been copying too assiduously.

most of his tutorial subjects seem start out by leaning down and grabbing the bar just about any old how, with rounded spines. and then they flatten out and set up their backs once their hands are on the bar. now that i've seen myself on somebody's phone, i'm not gonna do that anymore because for whatever reason i am not doing it right. so i'm going to set my back while i'm upright, and then do the same tight-spine hip-hitch thing that i do to break my own setup pose for a squat.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Quick lifting tonight. As part of my effort to be kinder to myself, I am also accepting that I don't always have to have an epic 90 minute workout with cardio and mega accessories. It's enough for me to get in there and do the basic SL work and get out.

Squats - 5x5@90 for second time. Was do-able and looking forward to 95 next time, and 1 weight per side instead of 3!
    OHP - 2x7@45, then 3x5@50, with 5x5 Good Mornings. 45 felt really clean so I went ahead and added some wait and my 5th reps tended to be sloppy, but I managed. Yay!
    Deadlift - 1x8? or 9? @‌ 145

Then I left and that was that!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Today's workout was a little later than usual because didn't get out of work till well after 10;30. Only 2 more left of stage 1.

Day 14, B7

deadlift 3x8 @ 150 - Considered keeping 145 but went up a tad and wasn't too bad.

db shoulder press 3x8 @ 20 - easy enough
    lat pulldown 3x8 @ 70 - increased and last reps were challenging

lunge 3x8 @ 22.5 - knees were okay but not a fan and my calluses bothered me a tad when holding the dumbbells
    sb crunch 3x15 - meh, back ached a little

For Fun:
    bench 3x8 @ 75 - tried 80 but it was too heavy for accessory rep range
    db bench 3x10 @ 22.5 - decreased from last time and felt easy
    bicep curl 2x8 @ 30 - I may change to something else, I tried to do one set with the ez curl bar and no way of holding it made sense and it all felt awkward and heavy with just a 10 on each side.
    wrist curl 3x10 @ 15 - not bad

Late night as I still have updates to do and a newsletter to write about action&adventure. Good thing tomorrow I work an easy close shift and no fitness stuffs.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    After a year of lifting and several failed attempts to get up and workout in the AM before work, I finally managed to pull it off. Went pretty well all though I did manage to wake my son up and had to send him back to bed.
    OHP day 1 today
    60 lbs x5 70 lbs x 3 and 75 lbs x 3
    then 3x8 just the bar EMOTM
    and finally 10/8/6/4/2
    Rows 65 lbs
    assisted pull ups
    hanging knee raises
    high knees

• Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Thanks for the advise on the bench everyone! Today was deadlift day:

Squat: 5x5 - 105 lbs
    OHP 5,5,5,5,3 - 60 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 - 170 lbs

Didn't have time for any accessory work today but am going to try to make it to a 5:15 spin class as I'm travelling for work the next few days and probably won't be able to work out (although I DID pack my gear) hoping the 2-a-days don't kill me!
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    I met with a personal trainer today for my free session after 6 months at the gym.
    We didn't lift any weights because of my back :-( and sadly I have been at work for about an hour now and I can already tell my back is going to be miserable.

4x side plank
    4x standard plank
    lots of lunges
    lots of stretches
    a side twisty thing with a resistance band

All in all I was happy with the session. I appreciated the push (but not too hard) and then at the end she made a teeny tiny comment about PT packages and then shook my hand and said thanks for the opportunity. She also said to text her if my back hurts tomorrow so she can offer assistance.

She recommended I pretty much start over with weights and nothing with a barbell until my back is 100%. Not sure what my plan is yet. The thing I loved most about 5x5 was the ease of use. I only had to know (and perfect) 5 moves. Other plans seem to have you running all over the gym.
    Looks like this is the direction I will be heading for soon anyway. Any suggestions of where to start? I have looked at bodybuilding.com but it seems a bit overwhelming.
  • Andi_1977
    Andi_1977 Posts: 47 Member
    Yesterday was workout A, and it was definitely better than last week.

Squats: increased to 5x5 @ 95#, after adding more warmup sets at lower weight. Felt pretty good, but I'll stick here for at least one more workout.

Bench: 5x5 @ 65# - I got my hubby to check my form, since this felt so wobbly last time. He recommended moving my grip out about a thumb's length from where the knurling (is that the right word?) starts on the bar. I guess my grip really was too close before, because this felt much more solid. I'm still going to stay at 65# for my next workout to make sure my form is where it needs to be.

Rows: 5x5 @ 70# - felt good, but I'll probably stay here for at least the next workout to fine-tune my form.

This week, I'm really focusing on my diet, as I know I haven't been on point lately. I'm going to aim for 1600 calories on non-lifting days, 1750 on lifting days, and one day at maintenance (should be about 2100) over the weekend. Hopefully this will get the scale moving a little bit again.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Still lifting but not just 5 x 5 However after a couple of weeks not training and a few before that being hit and miss I was back at it this morning. One of my lifts currently is an American Deadlift, 3 sets of 5, I geneally hit about 60kg for this but today the rack was in use so I figured I would do regular deads at 50kg. Set 1 - this is easy I should have used more weight, set 2 - hey my grip is getting better, but losing form a bit! set 3 - 1 rep, 2 rep, 3 rep.... and I just could not get that bar off the floor again lol!
    It amazes me how a weight that is easy for the first set can so quickly become unliftable!
    For my squats I deloaded to 40kg and worked my form a bit. I may stick with that for a few weeks and increase volume as I felt a bit uneven.
    My bench went well though - it's incline and I could see myself in the mirror, my arms were all pumped and I looked like a real bada$$ (Well I thought I did anyway) Obviously working my triceps hard there as when I finished the skin over them was bright red :smiley:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Went in for my (sad and pathetic) attempt at the scaled (further) version of 15.2. It's basically 2 rounds every 3 minutes of 6 OH squat @ 45lbs and 6 pull-ups. + 2 reps per round every 3 minutes as long as you get the reps in.

I had all my resistance bands as assistance (~80lbs with knee in, maybe 100 with foot in) for the pull-ups and decided to go for 55lbs for the OH squat so I could snatch it up easier on the first rep. (35lbs bar + 10lbs bumpers)

Had to drop my foot in on the 2nd round of 8 pull-ups because I wasn't making it in time. And i finished during the next round 2 pull-ups short. But it's not like I could've pushed past it. While the OH squats I banged without rest and fairly quickly, pull-ups are a HUGE weakness and I just couldn't get another rep even with my max assistance :(

Final score of 95. Puts me in 2068th place and the scaled workout still calls for unassisted pull-ups, too. Ew. lol

Finished with a fun little set-up I titled "Clean the ladder". EMOTM until failure, 1 rep of a full clean @ 75lbs + 1 per round. Fell 1 short of completing the 7th minute, which makes it 27 cleans total in 7 minutes. Not too shabby.

I then did some hollow swings and hanging knee raises (10/9 and 10/10 I reckon) but my grip was toast. I also tried to monkey bar around but no dice. I also established my baseline for the push-up and recline row work I'll be doing as my No Matter What sets in order to improve (17 push-ups, 11 rows. My back was pretty taxed at that point though).

It's like this bodyweight stuff needs to be rebuilt every time I stop doing it consistently for more than a week D:

@symba You could do DB circuits. With a bench. Seated OHP, bent over rows supported on the bench (or incline chest supported rows), and maybe goblet squats or lunges depending on how those feel. Maybe bench press if you back doesn't complain too much (you can put your feet up on the bench to remove tension from the lower back altogether). And body weight stuff. Does your gym have a TRX? You can get pretty creative with those, too. Without having to hop from machines to machines. Anyways, machines have a tendency to isolate too much, and the last thing you need with a lower back injury is to stop working the stabilizers altogether.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Today's workout:

Squats: 1x5 @ 45; 1x5 @ 65; 1x5 @ 95; 5x5 @ 120 - easy, although my hips and lower back were tight. I have to find a way to work yoga in on Sundays so I'm a bit more open when I lift on Monday mornings.
    OHP: 4x5 @ 60; 1x4 @ 60 - another failure at 60. Boo.
    DL: 5x5 @ 145 - love having the big plates on!!

Did knee raises - 3x8; and back extensions - 3x8 with a 25-pound plate.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I haven't been recording my workouts here much. I've deloaded a lot in an attempt to get lower on squats and get more out of my lifts. Today was pretty good.
    Squats-2x5@45 warmup,5@65 warmup, 5x5@100
    OHP 2x10@25, 5x5@45
    Deadlift-5@145
    Good mornings-2x10@45
    Bulgarian lunges-10@25
    Curls-2x10@25
    Tricep dips-2x10@20
    Hip thrusters-10@25
    Pull up work-walk the plank-5@bodyweight (I didn't have much in the tank at this point
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Ugh, reps 7 to 9 of all my sets for both bench and squats were grinders. I've decided I much more prefer higher weight and lower reps. Pandora was sucking something fierce today, too, which didn't help my lifting. At. All. I have 5 different stations that I like for lifting/working out and all five were playing crap.

Squats - 4x9 @ 150lbs
    Bench - 4x9 @‌ 95lbs

It was so nice and warm today - got up to 70F with a breeze. I walked Ralphie twice today; it's time to start getting in the habit of morning walks again since it's no longer below freezing at 5:30am.
  • Sherryidic
    Sherryidic Posts: 4 Member
    My first post. I have been doing SL 5x5 just over three months. I didn't go up according to the prescribed weights but have been going much slower to prevent injury. I made it to 145lbs on squats, 80lbs on benchpress, and 60lb on rows today. I also did my usual 10 minutes of cardio before and 20 after along with stretching. Great Day!
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Good job all!

I have been off lifting and Zumba for a fortnight...ugh!

Had to de-load today. Not too bad...

Looking forward this weekend to the Bataan Memorial Death March - very sobering!