Before and Afters ANYONE????

Options

Replies

• Rockmaker
    Rockmaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My BMI says I need to be 180lbs or less to be in the healthy (not overweight) category. But there is no way I want to shoot for that. I'm 208 in the picture above and my goal weight is 198, which is 10 more pounds. So I would have to loose 28 pounds from now to be in a normal weight according to my BMI. I can't loose 28 more pounds without losing who I am. Does that make sense? I would look like an AIDS patient who smokes crack. Granted, people know the BMI isn't effective when you have more muscle mass, but regardless of that, it's still used as a primary means of categorizing us in the medical industry. Is there even such a thing as a BMI waiver? What's even worse is the normal weight range for me is 140 pounds to 180 pounds. 140 pounds? Are you serious? Do you really think I could loose 68 more pounds? If you dig my body up 10 years after I died and weighed my remains I bet it would still be above 140 pounds. To sum up my BMI rant, I don't buy it anymore than I buy the governments recommendation that we eat a low fat (hence high carbohydrate) diet. It's the carbohydrates that are screwing everyone's health up. And the only people who know that are people like us here in this forum, the open-minded people, the trailblazers, the visionaries.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I am starting to believe the new me in the mirror. I am so used to the old one, that he's the one I still see most of the time.

I see this mentioned frequently on various weight loss/progress forums, and I'm starting to feel it myself. For the first 6 months of keto for me I wouldn't allow myself (or anyone else!) to be too happy about what I was doing b/c I've lost 20 or 30 pounds 10 times... at some point later on I finally accepted that I was doing this, but I still feel like the guy that was 360 pounds a few years ago, even though I'm 250 now and my initial goal is 220 (I'm 6'4"). I honestly don't know what it is going to take to change that. I was 300+ for 15 years in a row, 330+ for much of that. That won't be easy to just change internally i guess.
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So true about BMI being used in medical classification. I am always recommended to lose weight by my health insurance company and given less than the best rates on life insurance because of BMI! I also think my bones alone would put me in the healthy BMI category, add a little bit of muscle and padding (where it belongs) and I'm maxed out! Because I am close to goal, the scale doesn't move much, so I've been focusing on improving my body fat percentage, which means so much more!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    My BMI is currently between 26.5 and 27. I actually considered myself in maintenance when I hit 28. Why? Because I was pretty happy with that amount and it was the lowest I'd been in my adult life. I figured I would stop there and let my body settle on a lower weight, if it wanted. It seems like it wants to, because I am still drifting downwards.

I have MFP set to consider my goal 65 kg (24.5 BMI). That would be in the "normal" range. It's a bit lower than I think might be right. I would like to get a body fat test done. Until then, I'll leave 65 kg as a goal and not shoot for it. LOL

As for the man (woman) we see in the mirror being different than the person we have become, I know I am not the only person who experiences that. It is getting better. I am starting to accept who I am now. But, you get so used to being "the fat guy" that you have a hard time letting it go.

I was so self-conscious in the shirt in my new profile picture (and the after photo above) because it was tighter than normal. It showed my body shape. I've spend most of my life hiding the shape of my body. I kept feeling like I was doing something wrong all day.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Is it like that for skinny people who get strong and buff? One day will I look at my bulging pecs, arms and 6 pack and see a wimpy skinny girl? :'(

Is it that you look at yourself and still think you have too much weight left to lose, or that you're sad that you were fat...or you're sad you're not fat anymore?
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Is it like that for skinny people who get strong and buff? One day will I look at my bulging pecs, arms and 6 pack and see a wimpy skinny girl? :'(
    I wish I knew Monikker. Can't answer that one from experience, but my guess is that if you should see the muscles. I feel that only anorexic people wouldn't see the improvement.
    Is it that you look at yourself and still think you have too much weight left to lose, or that you're sad that you were fat...or you're sad you're not fat anymore?
    For myself, when I've lost weight before, it's just that it's so ingrained in your head that you're shameful that shame is all you continue to feel and see. If confronted with a mirror I drop my eyes so fast I don't *really* see the reflection. I just conjure up the familiar large blob that's 'fatter than it should be', whether that's what is really there or not. Even if you do look honestly and see, the slim view is lost as soon as you turn your back. Like the movie title says 'Fat Head'. In my head I'm fat. It's an extremely long-term habit to know I'm fat so I suppose breaking that thought pattern is as hard as breaking any other habit.
  • AlwaysKimmer
    Options
    So glad everyone is willing to share their before and afters. I'm looking forward to much success with this woe.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING! I can't wait until I have my own before and after! :)
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING! I can't wait until I have my own before and after! :)

Looking forward to seeing it! Don't forget the "during" to help with your own motivation.
  • Ivana_KillerBody
    Options
    I started LC do anyone have any before and afters or tell me where to go and see them. I need some encouragement. :D
    5sy5pbwv81z5.jpg
    I lost quite a bit of weight last year on the 4 hr Body diet, but gained back over winter. I just found this group, which is a great resource and I love all the great inspirational pics on here! Gives me so much more of a push to keep going. Hope you're all doing well!!

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I started LC do anyone have any before and afters or tell me where to go and see them. I need some encouragement. :D
    5sy5pbwv81z5.jpg
    I lost quite a bit of weight last year on the 4 hr Body diet, but gained back over winter. I just found this group, which is a great resource and I love all the great inspirational pics on here! Gives me so much more of a push to keep going. Hope you're all doing well!!

Those are great photos - well done, you look amazing!

• rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I have the opposite problem of most, which I think is what took me so long to wake up and start trying to lose weight... I've always been the "skinny" one- the skinny sister, skinny friend, etc, and even as I put on 30 lbs over 2 years I really didn't see myself, I still saw my normal weight. It wasn't until none of my clothes fit and the doctor asked if I wanted to see a nutritionist that I woke up!
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the nerve to take a "before" picture and was MIA for most of the pictures from a trip last year at this time (the one shown with my husband is the only one I could find)- can't wait to lose my cheeks - upper & lower. Maybe then a new photo!
    -So inspired by these before and after shots and comments!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wish I had more before pictures. I used to hide from the camera. This is one that was shot covertly. I was so angry when I saw it.

37oppl5dxq42.png

Edit: I call this one "pregnant?" on my computer. LOL
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    tgo0gubdv5cz.jpg
    ii3jyrxzaino.jpg

I have a whole computer folder called "Fat Me" of old pictures that I am re-creating but my family is getting tired of it real quick. I still find it fun.
    We have one picture of all of us taken at the same spot three years apart (since my wife also lost weight with surgery) where one of my daughters is wearing the exact same pull-over completely by chance!
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love that you're doing that. It's hilarious and cathartic.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think that's great as well! Sounds fun.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    @parkdad73‌ that is awesome! I can't wait to be able to do the same
  • mandolynnn81
    mandolynnn81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't post much, but am pretty proud of my results!!! Since June I'm down 35 pounds, but 30 of that is low carb related. I even managed to take nov and dec off very low carb to maintain and enjoy the holiday. From 220 to 185

bhp7dc52yz9k.jpg
    dcpgnlqvtbpb.jpg
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I don't post much, but am pretty proud of my results!!! Since June I'm down 35 pounds, but 30 of that is low carb related. I even managed to take nov and dec off very low carb to maintain and enjoy the holiday. From 220 to 185

bhp7dc52yz9k.jpg
    dcpgnlqvtbpb.jpg

Looking great, well done!