Maybe We Should Have A Meat-Only May Challenge?

Options

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    The truth is that for many, they do find meat to become completely unappealing at first. They often find themselves unable to eat. Maybe it's texture. Maybe it's boredom. But, survival trumps all things. After they overcome the revulsion, they become quite content with it. If they've done it long enough, they are even willing to go right back to it when given the chance.

Anyone can learn to like anything. Food preferences are acquired and malleable. They're not innate and immutable.

But, if you don't want to. If it's not in your desires to try and change this. If you are happy with how you currently eat. Then, there is no reason to force a change.

I agree, anyone can eat anything given the right incentive, which is what I said earlier about having to starve a few days to get to the point of wanting or trying to eat all meat all the time. I am sure you'd find peas eatable after a few days of hunger.

I am ok with what I eat, i LOVE veggies and it makes my meat tolerable when I can pair the two together. But I love that others love meat enough to eat it all the time and I am excited to see the results.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

Texture, it is so important. Id seriously be a vegetarian 90% of the time if i didnt have to eat Keto for health reasons.

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2015/04/video-low-carb-vegan-keto-plant-based/ - How to be a plant-based ketoer.
  • ruthieo7
    ruthieo7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Having some heavy cream in coffee or in a sauce, is fine. Whipping it up (even with no sweeteners) and eating it by the bowl is not.

I didn't want a bowl of just whipped cream until I read this. :D

I'm definitely going to try this! I asked my husband last night (after he declined making asparagus with our salmon hollandaise) if he wanted to start cutting out veggies and he said yes. Not sure how he'd feel about this, though, he does tend to snack on cheese. Though if I can get him to pair it with a meat it's Goat-approved, right? Sometimes he has chicken sandwiched between cheese slices after his workouts.

No coconut oil, huh? So I should use butter/lard/ghee/bacon grease for cooking, only?

Lol, that's how I am with this whole topic. I normally don't really have much interest in eating vegetables and won't go out of my way to get them (though I often get a salad when eating out), but as soon as I start looking at/talking about the "zero carb" thing, I immediately start craving a giant salad. I'm just like "WTF?"

The funny part is, I'm like 80-90% of the way there, already, on my normal days. I tend to snack on cheese, too, and giving up my mayo will be a bit difficult, but maybe I'll get off my butt and render the pork fat I have in my freezer and try a batch with lard, or maybe try butter. Hrm... (Hubby's been experimenting with a charcoal grill, and it sometimes makes the food kind of dry, I need something to not feel like I'm eating shoe leather!)

That was me today. I have been doing zero carb for two days just to get the hang of it b4 committing to d may challenge. I was making some low carb veg for hubby's dinner and i found myself craving so badly for some. Fair to say i had 5 green beans.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We should definitely note that while supplements are not necessary, they are in no way against the rules. You don't need a multivitamin while eating like this, I promise. But, I know that some people might feel a bit "safer" taking one, just in case. I would strongly discourage any fiber supplementation, as one of the benefits here is the no fiber (believe it or not, it helps a lot of people when they have no fiber). But, a multivitamin or other vitamin isn't going to hurt.

I was going to edit the event to add that (the fact that "not necessary" isn't the same as forbidden), but I can't edit it. In any case, if that's the only reason someone decides not to join, I would feel bad. The first few times I tried it, I started taking a vitamin for mental peace of mind myself. It was only after extensive research and a decision to really jump off the edge completely with no chute for a minimum of 30 days, that I was able to let them go. So, I get it. And, I wouldn't hold it against anyone. If they decide this way is something they like, they can experiment with dropping the vitamins another time.

Edit: Random meat and melted butter picture
    qxzm6cozo7sm.jpg
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We should definitely note that while supplements are not necessary, they are in no way against the rules. You don't need a multivitamin while eating like this, I promise. But, I know that some people might feel a bit "safer" taking one, just in case. I would strongly discourage any fiber supplementation, as one of the benefits here is the no fiber (believe it or not, it helps a lot of people when they have no fiber). But, a multivitamin or other vitamin isn't going to hurt.

I was going to edit the event to add that (the fact that "not necessary" isn't the same as forbidden), but I can't edit it. In any case, if that's the only reason someone decides not to join, I would feel bad. The first few times I tried it, I started taking a vitamin for mental peace of mind myself. It was only after extensive research and a decision to really jump off the edge completely with no chute for a minimum of 30 days, that I was able to let them go. So, I get it. And, I wouldn't hold it against anyone. If they decide this way is something they like, they can experiment with dropping the vitamins another time.

Edit: Random meat and melted butter picture
    qxzm6cozo7sm.jpg

Edited it to mention that, with the caveat that fiber supplements are disallowed (since they would defeat half the purpose of the challenge).

And is that your dinner? Looks tasty.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Yep, that's my dinner. To be fair, I couldn't finish more than half of that meat. And the butter was just for dipping, so most of that is left too. I like to prepare enough that I almost always have extra, it means I can eat until I am really full and don't end up stopping just because I ran out of meat.
  • LaurenLK
    LaurenLK Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sorry this double posts: computer acting squirrelly.

I have a silly question, and my husband has already told me I am overthinking things, but that's what I do, so here goes. If we are not keeping track of calories, how do we know we are getting enough fat and not too much protein for "good" macros, percentage wise? Or do we not care about that either? I read somewhere that if you eat 70% of your calories from protein, it is toxic. I assume this is the dreaded "rabbit starvation" I have heard about. I am trying to stop restricting, and do zero carb, but it's hard to get the fat in, and I get over 40% from protein quite easily. Quite a few days, over 100 g of protein, alot of days, 80 to 90. help and guidance much appreciated. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    LaurenLK wrote: »
    Sorry this double posts: computer acting squirrelly.

I have a silly question, and my husband has already told me I am overthinking things, but that's what I do, so here goes. If we are not keeping track of calories, how do we know we are getting enough fat and not too much protein for "good" macros, percentage wise? Or do we not care about that either? I read somewhere that if you eat 70% of your calories from protein, it is toxic. I assume this is the dreaded "rabbit starvation" I have heard about. I am trying to stop restricting, and do zero carb, but it's hard to get the fat in, and I get over 40% from protein quite easily. Quite a few days, over 100 g of protein, alot of days, 80 to 90. help and guidance much appreciated. :)

It'd be easier to see what you can change if we could see your diary, but generally -- eat fatty meats and eat any actual pieces of fat first. Eat whole eggs and cook them in a fat. Eat 75/25 hamburger if you can get it.

Protein toxicity (aka rabbit starvation) takes a few days to set in, and you have to actually try to get those levels of protein on this kind of diet. In the early stages, it starts with diarrhea, and insatiable cravings for fat and/or carbs set in. These happen long before any real damage starts, so you're not likely to have an issue as long as you heed your cravings in that sense. In modern society, it only becomes an issue in situations where people still fear fat, but are also trying to be low carb -- they end up living on protein and try to fight through the cravings on "willpower."

Eat fat when you crave it, add some protein, and you should be fine.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I'm kind of proud of myself. I ordered my meal at Bob Evans and specifically requested the veggies be taken out of my omelet, and got bacon on the side instead of my usual salad.

In the past couple of weeks, this talk of zero carb/plants has made the rebellious part of me go "want salad NOW!" And I know it's because of kicking around the idea of not having it, and it's like that whole "I could never give up my carbs" type of reaction. So, to prove to myself I could do it, I specifically made my dinner zero carb.

Well, I ordered it that way. It wasn't quite perfect -- they left the peppers in from the way it comes by default, but there aren't that many in it, and by the time I found it, it was way too late to fix it (I had taken the meal to go and it was like an hour an a half later).

Now that I'm out of ham from Easter, I can get meats that don't have sugar added to them. It was good in my eggs, but by itself, it actually tasted too sweet.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    For the meat-only challenge, you are welcome to track. But, you would be very hard-pressed to get 70% calories from protein. Honestly, when I have a super-super-lean day (where I just eat lean meat all day with no added fats), I might hit 40%. A typical day without added fats of any sort (just burgers and steak) typically lands me around 22-27% protein. If you find yourself thinking of butter or eying the fatty strip on the edge of your steak, follow that urge. Don't avoid fat, but you don't usually need to seek it out. You would need to try and live on canned tuna, chicken breasts, and egg whites to really push the protein to dangerous levels. You'll lose all desire for lean meat long before that, and you'll crave fats. You'll know without tracking.

But, you can track if you want.
  • LaurenLK
    LaurenLK Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. :) I made my diary public, but I think I see what the issue is myself, just reviewing it. First of all I am probably not tracking all the fat I get in butter, grease, etc., so I'm undercounting it, and also I have probably still not made the transition to meat with enough fat. I was used to eating a variety of meats, and too many of those are lean. I am going to change the type of meat, and see if that helps. Thanks again!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I am the same @LaurenLK I am finding my habits of leaner meats interfering with my fat totals too. This is a whole new way of thinking and takes a bit to retrain my brain! Not sure if I'm completely up to the challenge, but still have a few days to decide!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I am the same @LaurenLK I am finding my habits of leaner meats interfering with my fat totals too. This is a whole new way of thinking and takes a bit to retrain my brain! Not sure if I'm completely up to the challenge, but still have a few days to decide!

If that's the point you're at, then I'd suggest sitting this particular challenge out and instead work on getting your fat intake up through fatty meats (unless you're the type that responds well to jumping to an extreme, even temporarily).
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Start with the cheaper-priced meats in your butcher's department. The more white fat, the better. ;) If you can't resist a trimmed filet, make sure you cook it up with some bacon!

Bacon is basically my number one dietary supplement, now.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thanks Dragonwolf! I still have half of the month to decide. Will be working on fatty meats. I did by regular ground beef yesterday, so I am changing!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about joining but since my body doesn't agree with dairy, there's absolutely no way I could do this without plant oils. I'll keep doing my own thing.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Very intriguing. But I wonder why @FIT_Goat you say that a multivitamin is not necessary. How are we getting all of our necessary nutrients?

Also, I assume "meat" is all animal protein, poultry, beef, pork, etc.?

This may be a good option for my husband who will be starting low carb (again) next week. He does not particularly like vegetables.

Thank you!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm watching and lurking. I'm still on the fence with all the work that went into planting our garden...lol. Shoulda grown pigs and a cows instead. :)
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @Keto_T, lol!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    SOOZIE429 wrote: »
    Very intriguing. But I wonder why @FIT_Goat you say that a multivitamin is not necessary. How are we getting all of our necessary nutrients?

Also, I assume "meat" is all animal protein, poultry, beef, pork, etc.?

This may be a good option for my husband who will be starting low carb (again) next week. He does not particularly like vegetables.

Thank you!

Animal sources provide all the necessary nutrients for humans.
    AnarchoGen wrote: »
    I was thinking about joining but since my body doesn't agree with dairy, there's absolutely no way I could do this without plant oils. I'll keep doing my own thing.

Lard, tallow, and duck fat are not dairy.