Maybe We Should Have A Meat-Only May Challenge?

Options

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Olive oil is also probably fine. And, if that would be a breaking point for someone, I am willing to bend on the oils. Sometimes, even I use a little commercial dressing or mayo. I try not to make it a large component of my intake, because I prefer animal sources before those.

WELL, in THAT case...I'm in. ;-)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Keto_T wrote: »
    I'm watching and lurking. I'm still on the fence with all the work that went into planting our garden...lol. Shoulda grown pigs and a cows instead. :)

LOL we do a big garden every year too. Nothing beats the bliss from walking in, dusting off a green bean or cucumber and eating right there. But we also got our 4 piggies we raise for butcher yesterday.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    AnarchoGen wrote: »
    I was thinking about joining but since my body doesn't agree with dairy, there's absolutely no way I could do this without plant oils. I'll keep doing my own thing.

I almost never have dairy. That butter was a rare exception. You don't need any added fats to your meats. You would be just fine with plain meat (assuming you went for the fatty cuts). No need for cheese, cream, or butter.

If you want more fat, bacon and the drippings are awesome.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about joining but since my body doesn't agree with dairy, there's absolutely no way I could do this without plant oils. I'll keep doing my own thing.

I almost never have dairy. That butter was a rare exception. You don't need any added fats to your meats. You would be just fine with plain meat (assuming you went for the fatty cuts). No need for cheese, cream, or butter.

Good, more butter for me! >:)
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options

I can give it a try. I have to have uncured bacon. My body hates me :(
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

As an aside, have you ever tried clarified butter or ghee? It's butter that's had the proteins separated & strained out. The proteins are, in general, more allergenic than the fat, and so some people who have trouble with other dairy can handle clarified butter ok.

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    SOOZIE429 wrote: »
    Very intriguing. But I wonder why @FIT_Goat you say that a multivitamin is not necessary. How are we getting all of our necessary nutrients?

Also, I assume "meat" is all animal protein, poultry, beef, pork, etc.?

This may be a good option for my husband who will be starting low carb (again) next week. He does not particularly like vegetables.

Thank you!

Goat's Definition of Meat: Did it have a face or a mother? Is it shellfish? Those are fine too (no face, but a momma clam somewhere). Eggs are meat, bone marrow is meat, organs are meat--all of these are purely optional.

The nutrients question is interesting, because if you follow the RDAs, you'll be short on some things. You'll be getting 0% of your RDA for vitamin C, for example. You won't get scurvy though. The RDA was based on the amount needed to avoid deficiency diseases like scurvy. Well, if you won't get scurvy, then you're obviously getting the necessary amount. Even if that amount is less than the official RDA. Most of those were set assuming a mixed diet with plenty of carbs. Carb consumption changed many of the requirements.

We don't have official RDAs for various nutrients when eating just meat. So, we have to look at the outcomes. Whole populations have lived on just meat without deficiency. Owsley "Bear" Stanley lived 54 years eating just meat without deficiency (he died in a car accident at 76). Stefansson and Andersen lived under medical supervision for a year eating just meat (no eggs or dairy) and they suffered no ill effects or deficiency. There are people living today who have eaten nothing but ribeye for around 18 years (a whole family) without any deficiency issues. There are many others who have lived nearly a decade, again without any deficiencies cropping up.

In end end, we have to look at the outcome. Eating just meat doesn't seem to cause any nutritional deficiencies. In fact, most people end up very healthy and their health conditions usually improve. It's almost as if any existing deficiencies correct themselves. By the definition of "necessary," we can be sure that eating just meat (even just muscle meat) will provide all the necessary nutrients. If it did not, we would see massive problems with deficiency diseases among those who eat as I do.

You'll be fine without a multi-vitamin. But, I realize that this is heresy and lunatic fringe level stuff. I won't be the slightest bit insulted if you continue (or start) taking a multivitamin, just in case. I've not taken one (or any vitamin or supplement) in 9 months without issue, but you're responsible for your own well being. You do what you need to do to feel comfortable.

* Also, vitamin C needs are higher for smokers. If you smoke, you may want to supplement. Or, you know, stop smoking. ;)

• hoecradle
    hoecradle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do all oryx and elk for May.
  • LaurenLK
    LaurenLK Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if maybe some of the people who have been doing this for awhile could post something about cuts of meat that they like and that are good and fatty for The Meaty Month of May. You know, for us newbies who are used to filet? thanks!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    LaurenLK wrote: »
    I was wondering if maybe some of the people who have been doing this for awhile could post something about cuts of meat that they like and that are good and fatty for The Meaty Month of May. You know, for us newbies who are used to filet? thanks!

I just walk over to the butcher counter and look to where they keep the cheap cuts. The more white in amongst the red, the more I buy! :D

I love a nice lamb steak, or some pork ribs, or any steak that looks nice and thick and fatty. Then I look up the best way to cook it if I'm not familiar with it. I even tried liver! (can't say I recommend it)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My meat departments are not full butchers, and finding the cheaper cuts can be very difficult. I'm hoping that once the farmer's market opens back up to befriend a farmer! :)
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

As an aside, have you ever tried clarified butter or ghee? It's butter that's had the proteins separated & strained out. The proteins are, in general, more allergenic than the fat, and so some people who have trouble with other dairy can handle clarified butter ok.

Yes I've tried it, and it is disgusting! lol I think I will jump on the May challenge and eat fatty meats and bone broth to keep my fats high. I did some thinking and some reading and I think it's something I would really benefit from.

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Another question about vitamins... Is it possible that women need more vitamins than men? I know we do when growing a baby, but maybe it holds true in general as well? Any thoughts on that one? I'd definitely be taking a prenatal vitamin if I joined in(paranoid and proactive me likes to prepare for the pregnancy that's two+ years down the road..), but am seriously considering it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I don't think a woman can begin taking prenatal vitamins too soon. I would probably recommend them for childbirth age women to take it everyday. Though I'm just a nurse, not a doctor.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    My meat departments are not full butchers, and finding the cheaper cuts can be very difficult. I'm hoping that once the farmer's market opens back up to befriend a farmer! :)

Generally I'm talking about Stop & Shop, and their "butchers" don't actually serve customers (and if you ask for a special cut they just tell you whether or not they have more packaged in their racks in the fridge). I do have a great butcher in town but he's VERY expensive, so I'd only go there if I'm looking for something specific.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Another question about vitamins... Is it possible that women need more vitamins than men? I know we do when growing a baby, but maybe it holds true in general as well? Any thoughts on that one? I'd definitely be taking a prenatal vitamin if I joined in(paranoid and proactive me likes to prepare for the pregnancy that's two+ years down the road..), but am seriously considering it.

You'd be interested in this -- http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/2015/02/eat-zero-carb-pregnant/

Also, this article seems to shoot down the idea that women need more vitamins than men -- http://www.intelihealth.com/article/his-and-her-vitamins-smart-medicine-or-marketing-ploy?hd=Medical

And my first thought is why would we, generally speaking?

Worried about folate and choline? Eat lamb or game, beef, pork, or shellfish for folate, and eggs, shrimp, and/or scallops (or just about any other meat) for choline. Iron? Eat red meat.

By all means, take it if you feel better doing so, but be aware that unless you have a deficiency, you're likely wasting your money. If you're concerned with deficiency, talk to your doctor and get tested.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Breakfast! Nom nom nom. :)

gzkgj9m48xgy.jpg

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Vitamins are really interesting. Remember the studies that said "E is good!" followed by "whoops, maybe not so much!" Same with C and other vitamins. As usual, both camps are right. :)

The "problem" is homeostasis. We need trace amounts, and bad things happen if we don't get those trace amounts. If we get too much, our body down-regulates the receptors for that vitamin. So too much of a good thing can shut down the beneficial processes by making us less sensitive to the good stuff.

It's hard to trick your body into doing the right thing with supplements. Eat real foods. Trust evolution. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I'll list cuts of meat I like when I get a moment tonight. I might also post a link or two for a couple books and good reads for people considering this, as almost everything has been studied. Every time I think I have found a new question, I realize that Stefansson addressed it back in his book in the 1920s or '30s. And, he's just the one we can be sure isn't making things up because he lived under medical supervision for a year on just meat. There are other books and reports that also cover people doing it for long periods of time, on top of that.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    With regard to vitamins, bariatric patients are told to take certain vitamins, for life since we aren't able to absorb all of the nutrients from the food we eat. They also stress high protein diet-for us to try to eat our protein first so we don't run out of room in our smaller stomachs. I find LCHF to be perfect for me since I'm not forced to eat any carbs that take up space at all. So, I will continue to take a multivitamin, and calcium, and my B12 injections to help prevent Pernicious Anemia.

@FIT_Goat , I look forward to your post!