Random Thoughts - Misc. Chat Thread for April / May 2015

Options

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I woke up at 3am today because some wild animal was trying to get into our roof. Or was already in, I dunno. I couldn't get back to sleep for hours and I am very, very tired today. I have to go pick up my kid at preschool in half an hour and I stink from working out! I better forget the nap and get myself in the shower!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    yuk sumiblue, i can smell you from here lol
    my 22 yr old son started working out with me and had the audacity to laugh at me after my last set of rows while I was trying to catch my breath, not nice! then last night he said, "this is getting hard" after 50# squats (really!), my reply, "wait till you're doing 90#!"
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    really need to get back to work, can't focus on anything today!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome @pepperpat64! You can certainly start a general introduce yourself thread if you like but jumping in with both feet is also acceptable. Anything goes in the random thoughts threads. Be sure to tell us about your workouts in the check-in threads, too.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I joined this group last week and did my first Stronglifts 5x5 workout yesterday. I was just wondering if there's an Introduction thread for this group. I searched but couldn't find one. I'd like to get to know some members a bit better before jumping into conversations (like I'm doing right now, LOL) or hijacking another newbie's Intro post. Thanks! Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.

Hi there and welcome! :D
    We are nice people and I love everyone here, it's the best place to come for encouragement.

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Hi Gals --

Thanks for not booting me out of the group this past six weeks!

I'm finally headed back to the gym on Monday, and I'm weirdly nervous. I have no idea how much to deload -- do I just start over with the freaking bar or what? -- and am afraid my form and everything I've learned will have flown out the window. I'm also not looking forward to the DOMS. :(

xox,
    C.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Yay! We missed you.

Good luck at the gym. I'd warm up at the very least with lighter weights and just see how things feel. Go from there.

My random thought for tonight = yay beer. lol. It was my reward for jogging 20 minutes. Plus, trying to do this final novel edit is such a pain. I don't have a hard deadline cause I've never submitted anything before but in odd to submit to agents I need to finish the final edit. It's my first time doing one, so I've struggled, but I'm slogging my way through. On chapters 1-5 right now. Just umm 20 more to go.
  • threnjen
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    Hi Gals --

Thanks for not booting me out of the group this past six weeks!

I'm finally headed back to the gym on Monday, and I'm weirdly nervous. I have no idea how much to deload -- do I just start over with the freaking bar or what? -- and am afraid my form and everything I've learned will have flown out the window. I'm also not looking forward to the DOMS. :(

xox,
    C.

Hmm I would just do bar and then add 10 or 20 at a time until you feel at "working weight". It's a tough call!!

You'll do great, no matter how much you deload. :)

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself with more gym clothes - first time getting Old Navy gym stuff and their capris and leggings are nice! I also picked up a sweet armless hoodie too and it's gonna look totally badass while I lift!

Only issue I have is the Old Navy petite leggings are too long for my legs :s
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    All my leggings are too long for me. The material bunches at knees and ankles. But means tall coworker can wear the brand too as she thought they wouldn't be long enough.

Today I covered for a couple hours in cosmetics. Had a customer who had a mean girls shirt on that said "you can't squat with us" and I giggled in my mind at it. Hehe
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    picked up a sweet armless hoodie too and it's gonna look totally badass while I lift!

lol! get a tuque to wear underneath it. then you can look like the squat king of fame at my gym. he's got huge legs and huge shoulders and funny little arms in between them. the sleeveless hoodie is quite a sight to behold.

and speaking of mean girls . . . i went to this workshop today. this is this meetup group in my city, which is run by a professional trainer who's basically, i guess, networking and/or fishing for clients. i feel a bit of a user going to these things when i have no intention of hiring her now or at any point later on. but she really isn't in whatever market niche i belong to and i'd refer her if i met anybody who was, so it's all good i suppose.

anyway, bleh. socially, i don't really enjoy the sessions. it's too . . . judgey-judgey girly peer-pressurey. not on the lifting itself, but just socially. kind of hard to describe. but get a whole group of a certain kind of woman together in the same room, and they seem almost to set up a project to find common ground and assert agreement with one another. nothing at all wrong with that, in fact it's quite great - IF it's for real. i love me some solidarity, of the real kind. it's just that sometimes i find myself in these situations where (to me) every one of the premises brought up for 'bonding' over seems really contrived and/or meretricious to me. i just don't believe these women see that many 'meatheads' in whatever gyms they don't actually go to all that often (another cosy bonding point, btw), doing quarter-squat reps just so as to be able to say they can squat [over-inflated amount].

and if they do, then so what? pfeh.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Heh, my husband got a new phone yesterday and it came with this dongle that you can or on your key chain to find your phone/keys. It is called an HTC Fetch. I just looked at home when he was seeing it up and said "Stop trying to make fetch happen". He looked at me and shook his head. :P
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Welcome back crabada!

Update on the bestie photo situation. She has been told by a number of people that those pictures turned out great and she realises she is a little weird when it comes to her face. And her fiancée really liked the photos so yay!

On one hand I am glad she's coming to terms with her (very pretty) face and I am glad our friendship is mended quickly and without any effort on my part. On the other, I am now doing her wedding photos and that's a wee bit terrifying.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ^^ it might be, but when they're done and those same people are also telling her [and the wide world] how wonderfully those ones turned out, you'll get the reward for enduring this fear.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I haven't worked out in over a week....
    my partners Dad passed away just over a week ago so last week was full on. Aside from walking the dogs and physio exercises I didn't do any other exercise . Now I have a cold. Just can't wait to be feeling good again so I can get back into SL and my muay thai classes..

that is my random comment.

Oh and hello to the newcomers here
  • threnjen
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    Heh, my husband got a new phone yesterday and it came with this dongle that you can or on your key chain to find your phone/keys. It is called an HTC Fetch. I just looked at home when he was seeing it up and said "Stop trying to make fetch happen". He looked at me and shook his head. :P

Well I laughed :lol:
  • threnjen
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    I haven't worked out in over a week....
    my partners Dad passed away just over a week ago so last week was full on.
    Sorry to hear this :(

• threnjen
    Options
    Welcome back crabada!

Update on the bestie photo situation. She has been told by a number of people that those pictures turned out great and she realises she is a little weird when it comes to her face. And her fiancée really liked the photos so yay!

On one hand I am glad she's coming to terms with her (very pretty) face and I am glad our friendship is mended quickly and without any effort on my part. On the other, I am now doing her wedding photos and that's a wee bit terrifying.

Hmm a mixed blessing, eh?
  • threnjen
    Options
    There is still something wrong with me and I might call my dr tomorrow. I've been sick since Wednesday and I can barely eat. I certainly can't work out. I haven't been to the gym in a week now (before I was sick I had house guests) so at this point I am just... MAD! GRRRR MAD SO MAD
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Where have I been that this thread suddenly got 25 new messages? Dammit. I don't have time to read through all this right now, but I figured I'd give you guys a short notice on where I've been so no one freaks out lol. (The ones of you I don't have on my friends list, anyway)

So, remember this shin injury from box jumping? Healed fine the first few days, then I got overeager and tried to use new skin too early. Not very good results, I got a little anxious and decided to leave the wound to air out a bit after that and something must've found its way in there during that time as it's been gradually getting worse since. I'd tried to ask opinions because hell, I didn't want to spend the day in the ER (no clinics open yesterday, obviously) for something this silly and my friend's mom is a nurse and told me if it didn't get worse I didn't have to go. But then it did get worse. So I spent 3 hours at the ER last night for 2 minutes with the doc and an antibiotic prescription. Fun times. I only got to bed around 0:30 so going to the gym this morning was simply not an option and it isn't tomorrow either so I'm a bit sad :( But I *think* I can run, baring minor discomfort and possibly having to change the bandage right afterwards so there is that.

I'm not sidelined, I'm just inconvenienced! Ha.

I'll catch up with the rest of the thread tonight :)