Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    JACKIE, we must have been writing at the same time because we both appeared, you beating me by a "hair" breadth. The cottage looks GORGEOUS, I'm SO envious. My idea of heaven, pets and all. It would be wonderful if the friend comes up with an idea for a basic free website for us seniors. Thanks for trying, and hanging in there! ANNE.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :) Jackie, awesome pictures...congrats on a job well done.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday afternoon, everyone.

It has been ages since I've posted here, but I do visit periodically, read as much as I have time to read and then, mark my spot as Sandy calls it. I enjoy reading your posts and getting to know the folks who've joined the group since I took my "leave of absence." I didn't think I needed My Fitness Pal to keep on top of my weight and nutrition. I'd made that mistake once before but I guess I'm a hard learner.

At my heaviest, I weighed 222 pounds. When my husband had his first heart attack, we both went on a diet and I lost 50 pounds, getting down to 172. By the time I first started tracking my weight loss on MFP, I had gained back about 20 of the pounds lost and weighed 193.4 pounds. I have no idea when that was since MFP no longer shows - "a member since XXXX" in my profile. I know the number since my profile says I've lost 20 pounds since then, and I can only generate a report for the past year.

It has been an up and down course. From that initial 193 pounds, I lost almost 30 pounds by last May (2014), logging 166. Sadly it didn't stay that way and by fall, I was up to 179 - a 13 pound gain. I went on a crash (Reader's Digest) diet and dropped back down to 173 but then the holidays came and despite my resolution, by March of this year I found myself at 182 pounds. That's only 11 pounds below the weight I started at - maybe in 2010. So many years and so much effort almost erased.

I've been back at this since March, and as of today am down to 176.4 pounds - 9 pounds gone in a little less than eight weeks. The jeans I put away earlier this year once again fit; snugly, but I can zip the fly. I'm not ready to wear them in public, but it won't be long - maybe by the end of May.

A woman my age and height needs to be under 158 pounds to be in the "healthy weight" category. That's my goal for now. I know I will feel better, move better and accomplish more at that weight. So, I'm gonna keep on truckin' and keep my pedal to the metal. Wish me luck.

Connie, in Pomona, MO
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    personally think the free version is good enough for my needs. I am not feeling inclined to pay a monthly fee for stuff I don't really need. I ignore any ads anyway. I like my friends here and my groups. As long as I can still interact with them and read the forums I am good to go. I am having good success as is and don't think the added features will make that much difference for me. We'll see

Thanks bob the photo issue seems to be working OK Your pics came thru load and clear.

Anne I am on facebook for my family is scatter around and I can keep up with them, Watching my grandbabies pictures.. I don't really like there group set up for anything you post on it shows up on the main topics.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I'm sure we'll figure out what to do with our group as time goes on.

Meanwhile, I had a lovely time last night but slept in late and am now BEHIND! Ha.

My laptop is also acting up today.........I think I may have too much going on for the poor thing. There are so many great videos to watch but my iPad won't play them so I'm asking the old laptop to step up!

LOVE your pictures Jackie. Delightful home! And yes I knew it was celeriac but Marie wanted to know about it for some recipes she found. It's not easy to find here so I'll pass on it for now.

Anne - I think I commented on the news feed that I love your new haircut. So I'll say it here as well.

Bob - happy weekend to you. Sometimes life is just overwhelmingly busy (happy but buy). See you.

Phoebe - glad to hear from you, I haven't even seen you much on Facebook! Glad Honey is doing well. Hope you hectic schedule calms down soon.

Buzz - you are just on the run my friend. God bless and keep you.

Marie - what's up for you this weekend? Did all the stormy weather pass you by?

Shirley - I'm glad you will get plenty of boating in this summer. You guys work so hard on your boat and now that DH is retired I'm pleased you'll be out when you want to go (and the weather cooperates).

Sandy - how are you this weekend? I saw some pictures you posted on Facebook. My gosh, you look younger all the time. What area you doing?

Patsy - what are you folks doing this weekend?

Jeri - are you home now?

Phyllis - are you at home or travelling again?

Barbie - glad Jake found a recipe he likes!

Diane - I sure hope you folks get some moisture soon. A friend posted about snow in Tahoe. I'm sure it's a literal drop in the bucket when it melts............ Any more trips coming up soon?

Well, back to catching up on emails!

Oh and I watched the movie "Enough Said" and did enjoy it. Thanks for mentioning it Patsy and Bob.

Lin

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Dearest sneakers, isn't it wonderful that we have all come to the conclusion that above all, we MUST stay in touch. The older I get the more I realize how much of a treasure it is to have people you enjoy being with, even if it is on the Internet. It has been our policy to avoid Facebook. We have had friends that have had identity stolen, scams regarding everything from grandchildren in jail to tax issues. So I guess that isn't an option for me. I love the idea of another chat group or thread or what ever it would be called.

Jackie: oh my! Your home is so charming! I love all of the little animal faces around your fireplace. It looks so cozy and comfortable and pretty. Thank you for sharing your home with us.

Phoebe: our doggies are getting on in years and now have a few mobility issues. We care for them just like any family member. I am so glad your sweet little dog is getting the care it deserves and needs. During tax time we were totaling up our medical expenses and were startled to see that we spent thousands on doggie dental and health care. Without blinking an eye, my husband said, "money well spent!"

Anne: dear heart, I can't say it any louder, doing those things that bring joy and fulfillment to your life is as, or even more, important than food. Painting is your joy. I hope you will continue and share your work with us.

Lin: we are concentrating on a more vegetarian diet. However, my husband insists on dairy and eggs and fish, along the way. So your good influence has reached out to us. The interesting thing is how it requires a different way of cooking and ordering restaurants is a challenge. Life is all about change and making it a positive change, isn't it?

Shirley: wouldn't it be great if someone would video your concert and post it here for all of us? We could all be at your concert...belatedly. Do you think that would ever be possible?

The day is escaping me, I must get busy. Once again, dear sneakers, so glad you are all there.
    Patsy
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Connie so glad to see you pop in. hope you can post some of your lovely flower gardens with us.
    we all have our ups and down. I met another Connie on a thread I started before Easter. and talk her into a July thread. well the July thread exploded and driving us carzy definitely unmanageable like 50 new members per day
    every day. Someone offer to set up a Group for us. Still hugh but Management So many of my Easter poster did not like the hugh amount of posters so by demand We kept the Easter challenge name and called us the Misfit.
    I lost 11 pounds on the Easter thread with such an out dated Thread we don't get any new Members which suited us just fine.
    Glad to see you...... post some spring flowers your flower beds are always so pretty.
    Marie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just lost my post and starting again. :s

Jackie - Your cottage is so cozy and lovely I could see you reading and one of your cat's on your lap.
    Barbie - the soup was pretty easy to do and it tastes good. It's light and not creamy.
    Anne - Enjoy the concert you will have to let me know how it went.
    Connie - Glad you are back at it, keep plugging at that weight we are doing it too.
    Patsy - I think you can video it but don't know how to put it on here. Not a techy.

This morning was rehearsal for the concert and we were told when and where to be in line. I hope I don't forget by
    tomorrow. :p Everything went well but we still have to rehearse with the men's group and that will happen
    tomorrow before the concert.

It was a sunny day and cool and before rehearsal I dropped Dave off to the boat and I continued on. After
    rehearsal I went shopping for my sister's birthday which will be May 4th. I still have to get a card.

So now home and nothing planned, our Commodore's Ball is tonight but we opted out. We were disappointed
    in last year's venue and it's the same place again.

Having steak tonight and just relaxing.

• pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Back to work, i get the first sleep time, yay! Except about 1am when I'll be wishing i could be asleep again.
    My 2 cents, if it aint broke, etc. Id only make changes if it is necessary. Too much confusion. There are other weight loss forums all with pros and cons. Spark people, calorie count, and so on.
    ill be reading along. Where is Sandy?
    great photos. Jackie, come do my house, okay?

Phoebe
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    68n7eqsvr2ns.jpg

Just for you, Marie - this Azalea is glorious this spring.
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thought everyone would enjoy this that came from my daughter. Not good at sending photos, but thought that you could get the picture anyway. Now Aubrey is my 4 yr old granddaughter.

Aubrey wanted Jell-o today at the grocery store. So we bought it. At some point today she poured it into this blue bowl and put it in the refrigerator. She just brought me the bowl and said "the refrigerator isn't working! We need to put it in the freezer!" Our entire family burst into laughter. #shemakesmydaybetter #jelloexperiment #ifitwereonlythateasy Just so you know....there was only jello powder in the bowl. LOL

Diane
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Connie they are beautiful. I have not been by the big park of azaleas. maybe when Alice comes out this next week end will be a good outings for us. Its not exactly
    in the good part of Dallas but if the city kepts the parks as pretty as they used to should be a lovely site our bluebonnets are pretty this year . Mesquite do not have many for buildings have taken up much of their space.. Shame but life goes on

Sandy Sandy where are you? miss you
    OhDD65 wrote: »
    Thought everyone would enjoy this that came from my daughter. Not good at sending photos, but thought that you could get the picture anyway. Now Aubrey is my 4 yr old granddaughter.

Aubrey wanted Jell-o today at the grocery store. So we bought it. At some point today she poured it into this blue bowl and put it in the refrigerator. She just brought me the bowl and said "the refrigerator isn't working! We need to put it in the freezer!" Our entire family burst into laughter. #shemakesmydaybetter #jelloexperiment #ifitwereonlythateasy Just so you know....there was only jello powder in the bowl. LOL

Diane
    how cute Diane
    Marie

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    JACKIE, your home looks just as I would have imagined; familiar, comfortable and warm! Enjoy the new floor once the fuzz has gone! Yes indeed, there has been much harm done by people hacking Facebook accounts, and I for one could not care less about every moment of someone's day from morning to night. I've enough trouble controlling my own! ANNE, whatever you can contribute to us all keeping together will be appreciated! JACKIE's friend, also.
    Last night was a scary disaster, but I learned I must involve myself more in the use of Mike's equipment. I probably broke his blood testing machine trying to use it to read his blood sugar count. He was totally unable to comprehend a blessed thing not even recognizing what I was holding or attempting to do! I don't know if he knew who we were! I called our friends to cancel our dinner arrangement and simply started shoveling whatever I could find to raise his sugar level to somewhere near normal, as he becomes a zombie when hypoglycemic! It may be more dangerous than high sugar! After 1/2 an hour, he was at the point of being able to eat the lunch sandwich he thought was so clever to save instead of eating it at noon! How do I control a stubborn man? I surely do need a caregivers support group, which will start meeting Tuesday! I cajole, threaten, plead, shout, and end up hating myself for acting as I do when I lose "it" !!! But I can't seem to act rationally when he ignores my suggestion regarding his diabetes, ending in frightening state I cannot cope with! Today, he was fine, but the testing apparatus is broken! I will have to learn how to use it and how to inject insulin or sugar pills and orange juice must be in my refrigerator at all times! Enough rambling. Just took off my compression pump and my legs look wonderfully normal with NO swelling! Watched the press corps dinner, fell asleep during the fun part, so I'll go catch up on the re-broadcast! Where is everyone today?
    <3 Buzz
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Buzz I so know exactly what poor Mike is going thru. and yes when I have a low I feel like my body is completely slutting down. I keep a bottle of Kroger a protein shake on my nightstand I can drink it at room temper sure
    and it stys fresh. this keep me out of the kitchen. Jerry does not know the first thing to do for me.. He may have to learn some day. Is Mike still giving himself his own insulin? I hope you take over that job for him. I have trouble reading mine and I am sure mike is too. From what you tell us. Take care of our boy Mike.
    Marie
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi From Hot Cairo. The temp went up 20 degrees from yesterday. My early morning swim was beautiful though. Tonight we are invited to my nieces birthday party. It will be all family there. She is in college but that is how we Egyptians do it. Families celebrate together not so much with friends! She has all kinds of game planned so shuld be kind of fun.
    just wanted to check in and say HI.
    I was glad Buzz mentioned that painting was upside down. I thought I was the only one that it happened to. But from standing on my head and looking at it I thought it was Wonderful. KEEP Painting. Phyllis

• Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    BUZZ, Anne here. I've just been reading your post over breakfast and I am so very sorry that you are going through this awful time with Mike. It may be useful to know that my close friend dealt with exactly the same thing, except Bill also developed Parkinson's. She had a harrowing time for a good many years, and Buzz it took its toll on her. She is now alone, but has now got dementia or Alzheimer's herself and is convinced our lovely Bill is still with us. I'm not telling you this to frighten or concern you, but Buzz you must get all the help you can find, and please, please put yourself first. I know you love Mike dearly, but just do what you can, he has a will of his own, albeit a wrong will. I don't know how the American system works, but when my Mom was alive and broke her hip at 89, the British system was marvellous. She got wonderful daily care in her own home with their national health system, which meant I had no worries over here in Canada. Now, things may have drastically changed over there now, and JACKIE can put me right on this, but isn't there a system for daily care in the USA or is it too costly? It WAS free of charge in the UK. I don't often reply, but honestly my heart goes out to you. I hope I haven't been too presumptuous. It seems so hard to me for you to bear this alone. ANNE ❤️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Don't send the ransom I am alive and well. Happy Sunday!! :) With watching Robby I don't have enough time in a day to do things for myself. After Lisa picked up Robby on Friday I drove an hour and a half due to rush hour traffic, to my cousin's daughter's house so we could all go see her three daughters perform in an ice show. They were amazing and being as I don't know how to ice skate I was very impressed. After the show we went to a bar where my cousin's son was performing. He sings and plays guitar and he and his friend were standing in for a band. Instead of spending the night there I decided to go home to sleep in my own bed and got home around
    2:15 am. I slept in yesterday and then got caught up on my computer before going to Mass and dinner with Babe.
    Today I am just staying home and working on a shutterfly book I am making for my friend's granddaughter. Robby is crawling now and I need all the rest I can get today to start my week tomorrow. The good news is I think Lisa's mom will be home for Mother's Day which means I should have plenty of time to get ready for my May 16 departure to Florida.

So many posts and new topics, it is going to be hard to catch up. B) First I agree with Phoebe if it is not broke don't fix it...no need to panic until we get official notice this could be a paying site. If that were the case we can always start a blog on Word Press devoted to the Senior Golden Sneakers. As far a Facebook there is a way to make a personal page, we do it for our family. I feel secure with my Facebook because of my settings but I can understand why a lot of people don't like it. Like Marie most of my family is out of state so it is a good way to stay in touch. With that being said with that new show Cyber CSI, I don't think we are safe from any electronic device. lol

It will be too hard to address all of you separately but I do want to tell Jackie, I love, love, love your cottage. It is so English!! <3<3<3 Connie welcome back. Phoebe, glad to hear from you and that Honey is doing well. Phyllis we also celebrate with family more than friends, how hot is it there? Buzz, so sorry about Mike, I do hope you get the support you need at this time. Marie, miss you too. Diane, loved the story of your granddaughter. Shirley, good luck at the concert today, I am sure you will be great. Patsy, don't go anywhere, we will all go together if they start charging us. Lin, maybe you need new glasses, cause I certainly am not getting any younger. lol Barbie, hope you and Jake are well. Anne, I too, love your new haircut. Bob, thanks for all the information and wonderful breakfast ideas. Hope you enjoyed that grandson of yours.

I have probably missed someone and if so I apologize. Sunday's seem to be the best day to get caught up.

Have a wonderful day and a great week.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• CALIECAT
    Options
    Never was so glad to see anyone in my life as I was to see a post from our lovely Sandy. She is the star of our group our backbone hats off to Sandy 1139376u31u563x5i.gif we all love you.
    Marie
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Already evening here so I'm about to make myself chicken salad with a jacket potato and then relax. Last night I lit the fire because the air was damp after a dismal day but we've had sunshine today and apart from lots of emailing with my secretary of allotment association hat on, I've also enjoyed a long walk with George and started seeds in trays for planting up later on our plot. Thanks for the comments about my little cottage. Now I've got the lounge sorted everywhere else looks in need of similar TLC but I'm all decorated out for now!!!

Anne ~ Although plenty of people complain about the NHS there is on the whole an excellent care system set up for elderly folk in need of assistance. Things have changed a bit in that everyone is assessed according to their means but they're still allowed a good amount of savings before having to pay anything. Of course some do slip through the net but probably due more to independence and not wanting to be a burden!

Sandy ~Glad to see you're alright and enjoying your family. Completely understand how busy you are with Robby that you must prioritize but I bet you can't wait for your trip away and a rest!!

Buzz ~Mike's getting himself into an awful Catch 22 position by not eating at the right time, having blood sugar crashes and then becoming too confused to help himself. Many years ago I worked with a lovely man who had Type 1 diabetes and I quickly learned that if he became agitated and illogical he was probably heading for a hypo but we had to force him to either drink sweet orange juice or eat a square of Mars bar because he'd become increasingly angry and fight us off. The trick was to spot the problem before he got too bad.... never easy! I'd have thought in the environment you're living the most important service would be a support system for just such incidents. We all worry about you and the drain on your energy but Mike can't help it once he's got himself to that stage so please God, you get some practical support from the caregivers group. What about an emergency buzzer you can use to call for help?

Phoebe ~ Wonderful to read Honey is doing well, all thanks to you. A friend has been searching for a rescue dog and found a charity that brings street dogs in from Romania where it seems most suffer with heart and lung worms. It's quite distressing to read the stories and I think she might go back to looking at UK based charities.... some of their stories can be bad enough! Don't work too hard and stay safe on your journeying.

I agree with everyone that when and if the time comes that MFP goes unless payments are made, we can keep in touch one way or another because I expect between us we have collected enough email addresses from each other to build up a new contact point. Facebook won't be it for me I'm afraid as I've made myself a promise to get to my grave without signing up!!!

I've missed lots of you but must get myself a meal and settle down. Are you getting the latest series of "Poldark" on PBS? It's based in my corner of the UK, Cornwall but apart from enjoying the scenery I have to say the rest of it is obviously lacking a decent budget and hilariously melodramatic! Look out for it! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.
    Jackie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Jackie almost expected to see Lassie in your sweet looking cottage. But George will work just fine
    Always loves your Post and you

Marie