Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Finished week 8 today, my program is a nine week program. I can not believe I am here. I am a purist and have done the program exactly as prescribed, no extra running, pushed myself to complete the minutes even when it seemed impossible. I just really wanted to prove to myself the program would work for me if it has for so many others. I am the ultimate non finisher, I rarely have finished what I start and have started C25K before and not got beyond week 1 after doing week 1 NINE times I was too scared to move on to week 2. This time it was really important to me to see it through. I can't explain what only having one week left has done for me emotionally, I would never have believed week 2 possible let alone week 8. I now feel like, I got this, not only running but life. I have done (almost) what I believed impossible for me. I can lose weight and it stick this time. I am alsost at the weight I have gotten to many times before and stopped and put all the weight back on. This time I know I can push past that point, and C25K has done that for me. Finishing next week blows my mind and means the world to me. Thank you all for being so inspiring. I feel a bit sad about graduating next week. I'll miss the lady's voice in my ear, I will miss the structure. My goal forward is to keep running 3 times a week, work on my pace and then look at the B25K. Just keep running :)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @mrsjatty well done, c25k is often about the mental rather than physical challenge. I don't mean that in a dismissive way, hey I was there too. The programme builds slowly enough so that if you run slow enough your body will cope, it is the self doubt that you read most about and the support you can get from threads like this. If you want faster you will need to run more and I would recommend bounding straight into a bridge to 10k programme. It carries on in the same vein. I used zenlabs so could get the same prompts, but I programmed the intervals into a gps watch and then ran "audially naked" ie no headphones. Well done, I look forward to reading you graduate next weekend and then conquering other tasks you never thought you could do.

Well done again
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses everyone. I wanted to let you all know that I just got back from completing Week 5 Day 3, and am SO excited! It just all clicked this morning, and I had no problem completing the 20 minutes. I am from the Philadelphia area, so of course I had to do a little "Rocky" celebration when I finished :) I was a cross country runner in high school, but have not run since then, which of course was also almost 75 lbs. ago. Today is the first day in 25 years that I have run for 20 minutes straight without walking, and it feels amazing!! After avoiding any inclines at all for four weeks, I even added in a few little hills today. For all of you that are just getting started or are in the earlier weeks- hang in there, and as ftrobbie and others say trust the program. I can't believe that I am not only doing this, but actually starting to look forward to my running mornings! Thanks to everyone here for your support- you are all awesome!

ftrobbie- you mentioned that you were losing weight while you were doing C25K. How much have you lost? What diet changes did you make? I started C25K and tracking on My Fit Pal with the first goal of losing about 50 lbs. and while I have lost a few pounds, I'm ready to really kick it up now. Any advice that you or anyone else has is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kristen
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @krpolo 39kgs so around 86lbs. My diary is open, so browse and have a look. My weight loss occurred Mar-Sep 2014, been at or around maintenance since November 2014.

Big changes to me, portion control, so weighing all solids, measuring all liquids. After that removing simple carbs, pasta, potato, bread, all things I thought would be impossible. Replaced them with lots of fruit and vegetables or replaced carbs with proteins. Breakfast was omelettes mainly, with turkey breast as a mid morning snack. Eating little and often helped me. But I recognize that as a believer of CICO, that how much and when largely did not matter physically, but mentally it was crucial. I also found abstinence of all things that controlled me also helped, so no cakes, sweets, beer etc. With more and more months of being around maintenance, I have a much better relationship with food. So although I can still go on benders, they are infrequent and normally followed by periods of better control. I am not cured of my food addictions but I am aware of them and can exert a lot more control over them than I used to.

Hope it helps

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    @worldsworstsuperhero geeze!! I'm glad you're ok! :o
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Week 4 day 2 done today!! Felt better than day 1
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    @mrsjatty well done, c25k is often about the mental rather than physical challenge. I don't mean that in a dismissive way, hey I was there too. The programme builds slowly enough so that if you run slow enough your body will cope, it is the self doubt that you read most about and the support you can get from threads like this. If you want faster you will need to run more and I would recommend bounding straight into a bridge to 10k programme. It carries on in the same vein. I used zenlabs so could get the same prompts, but I programmed the intervals into a gps watch and then ran "audially naked" ie no headphones. Well done, I look forward to reading you graduate next weekend and then conquering other tasks you never thought you could do.

Well done again

@ftrobbie. Thank you your encouragement always helps :) I will look in to the program. I am still super slow but have come to terms with it for now. Time is my enemy, I get up really early to run now and it's heading to winter so getting cold out ( and I lost my running gloves the other morning, ggrrrrr) I have to catch a 7.15 am train and don't get home till after 6.30 pm. Night running is not going to happen too tired. Thinking of doing two weekday 30 min runs and aim for a longer one on the weekend when time us not against me. I'm sure I will work it out, it's important to me now :blush:

• ftrobbie
    Options
    mrsjatty wrote: »
    Thinking of doing two weekday 30 min runs and aim for a longer one on the weekend when time us not against me. I'm sure I will work it out, it's important to me now :blush:

You could try early Saturday morning and late on Sunday and then a weekday run. The timing may work for you if you can stomach starting and ending the weekend running. If you are stuck with struggling with time during the week, look at doing 3 shorter runs during the week and a longer run at the weekend. More time on feet will get you faster. Good work on the weight loss too. Well done.

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    maggiekat7 wrote: »
    @samhennings : i'm still actively transitioning. but, what helped motivate me to change from walking (which my body still prefers) to jogging is the time factor. i only need to jog for half the time to create the same calorie deficit, and truth be told, i'm still learning to enjoy exercise, so less time spent sweating is pretty motivating for me! and, as i'm sure you've experienced, at a certain speed while walking your body just naturally wants to run . . . i could feel the pull and was allured - and so here i am!

Lets hope I find that same sweet spot!

I start W3 tomorrow, and having struggled with the 90sec runs of week 2 - how did you find the step up to 3 min runs?

I looked at the schedule and had a bit of a panic. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Just before I was about to quit I told my running buddy and he told me not to quit as I only had 15 seconds left. That's something I've realised- I'd feel awful if I'd put in all that effort only to fail because I couldn't keep going for another few seconds!

And the advice to slow down proved INVALUABLE. It's a jog, not a sprint. It feels like a completely different style of running to what I'm used to.

If I can drag my flabby, unfit body along for 5 minutes, there's hope for everyone :D

Im actually tempted to re do week 3, Im not comfortable enough with how Im going to step up. Thats cool though, as you say its a jog not a sprint, there is nothing to suggest I need to rush myself.

• ftrobbie
    Options
    @samhennings go for week 4, you may surprise yourself! If it sucks then do days 2 and 3 again. But I am sure that if you decide to put your mind into it, week 4 will be fine. I still think it is in your head. Best of luck, whichever way you decide to go.
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Completed Week 5 Day 1 this evening :) I took it slowly and tried to maintain a steady pace and absolutely nailed it! I feel that if I had to I could have carried on for a little long if I really had to.

I feel AWESOME! As I run in and around the country park nature trail I'm getting to see the same runners, cyclists and walkers. We've even started to exchange waves and "thumbs-up". I'm beginning to feel like "a person who takes regular exercise". Who'd have thought this former couch potato would one day be comparing running tips with a proper runner?! :p
  • KRPolo
    Options
    @samhennings, ftrobbie is absolutely right! I had the same thoughts two weeks ago when I was on week 4, and didn't think there was any way I was ready. I decide to follow his advice and push through it. Day 1 stunk but it was all in my head- looking back, I just had such doubts that I could run for 5 minutes straight. I just finished week 5's twenty minute run, and doubted that too but I promise you YOU CAN DO IT!! I am still overweight and get out of breath walking up hills, but I can run for twenty minutes without stopping, something I never thought I would do again. Just keep jogging through the self doubt- at the end of day 1 you will be so proud of yourself and ready to tackle the next challenge. Can't wait to hear how it goes!
    Kristen
  • JaneyClark1
    JaneyClark1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @worldsworstsuperhero , thank you for sharing your experience with me. Since I logged in here last, I have also heard back from my doctor, and she said almost the same thing that you said. The amount of fluids and the timing of them. Staying hydrated is important, but you do not want to drink that amount before working out. I have cut down the amount of water before and during the workouts, both at the track and at the gym. While making sure I get in enough water to not dehydrate myself.

Since then, I finished out week one, and had a couple of other work out days. Today, in fact I started Wk2 Day 1. I am feeling great!!!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @worldsworstsuperhero glad to see you are seeing yourself as a proper runner, if you are running you are a proper runner. We have parkruns in the UK, the one I use has 300+ at it each week, all shapes, speeds and sizes. No one is judging anyone, it is a truly supportive experience and it is you against your own personal best. Some days I just jog round helping others, sometimes I go for it, sometimes I even succeed. Congratulations and getting up.

@KRPolo well done on getting on with the programme, you need to take all the credit, you got out and did it.

@JaneyClark1 glad you have got to the bottom of your issue and that you are enjoying the programme.
  • JSC145
    Options
    Finished week 4 today!! Felt great despite the insane wind tunnel in the canal this morning. I seem to be have a cycle of feeling not bad on day 1, terrible on day 2, and great on day 3 of each week
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    @samhennings go for week 4, you may surprise yourself! If it sucks then do days 2 and 3 again. But I am sure that if you decide to put your mind into it, week 4 will be fine. I still think it is in your head. Best of luck, whichever way you decide to go.

I think Ill see how W3D3 goes tomorrow. If its stronger than the first two days then Ill move forward.
    KRPolo wrote: »
    @samhennings, ftrobbie is absolutely right! I had the same thoughts two weeks ago when I was on week 4, and didn't think there was any way I was ready. I decide to follow his advice and push through it. Day 1 stunk but it was all in my head- looking back, I just had such doubts that I could run for 5 minutes straight. I just finished week 5's twenty minute run, and doubted that too but I promise you YOU CAN DO IT!! I am still overweight and get out of breath walking up hills, but I can run for twenty minutes without stopping, something I never thought I would do again. Just keep jogging through the self doubt- at the end of day 1 you will be so proud of yourself and ready to tackle the next challenge. Can't wait to hear how it goes!
    Kristen

Its these sort of testimonies that keep me going with it! Well done!

Ive never been an exerciser, ever. Never been truly fit. Even as a kid I never had stamina for running etc. I think there are still some fundamentals I need to pick up!

I started 5x5 in March and love it, really enjoy it. Then I thought I should work on my general cardio health, hence c25k, and Im yet to have that erueka moment where I decide I like it!

That said, its proven for results and Ill be sticking with it.
  • KRPolo
    Options
    Just finished Week 6 Day 1...in the rain! I guess I'm turning into a runner at last- I woke up before the alarm went off, and was excited to get running regardless of the weather. In the past I would have used the rain as an excuse to skip today, but with rain forecasted for the next few days, I was not about to let it get me off schedule on C25K. Does anyone have advice for what they do to protect their technology in the rain? I wrapped my fitbit in saran wrap and put my phone in a plastic bag (NEED my music!) but I am sure that there is a better way to do it. Also, what do all of you wear in the summer when running in the rain?

Thanks,
    Kristen
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 6 Day 1...in the rain! I guess I'm turning into a runner at last- I woke up before the alarm went off, and was excited to get running regardless of the weather. In the past I would have used the rain as an excuse to skip today, but with rain forecasted for the next few days, I was not about to let it get me off schedule on C25K. Does anyone have advice for what they do to protect their technology in the rain? I wrapped my fitbit in saran wrap and put my phone in a plastic bag (NEED my music!) but I am sure that there is a better way to do it. Also, what do all of you wear in the summer when running in the rain?

Thanks,
    Kristen

I put my phone in a plastic bag, too! Good for you getting out there and running!

You all are doing so good, I love checking in here and seeing everyone's progress!!!
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    week five, day 1 - finished with a smile. i think day 2 will be easier, i'm starting to dislike the intervals.
  • JSC145
    Options

Thanks,
    Kristen

Get a samsung s phone! They're waterproof.... I even use them in the shower and watch the news sometimes.... =P

I also always wear a cap or visor.... helps keep the rain out of my face...