Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Completed week 6 day 3 today, so finished with Week 6! This morning was challenging because I walked a lot yesterday, and was a bit sore. I also got my arm caught on my cheapie earbuds and broke them about five minutes in, so ran without music for the first time in a few weeks. Still, I made it! I can't believe how much has changed in six weeks- while I am not yet losing weight, I finally feel confident that I can be a runner again. Each run is definitely challenging, but I now feel like I can do the 25 minute runs next week no problem. So thankful for this program!
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It is very encouraging to read all the positive updates! Welcome to the newcomers!

Soooo, I completed week 5 day 3 this morning. When I heard the cool down prompt, I teared up. Yes, it's true. I am so proud of all the hard work I've done in the months prior to get to this point.

I reached my AHA-moment this week. I could have easily continued on running this morning and know that I can go wherever I want with this program now (already downloaded the 5K to 10K app!).Based on the previous two runs this week I was not worried about today and eager for the challenge. I have a birthday coming up next week (don't ask how many decades I'm celebrating, please - LOL!) and how I feel today is the best gift I could ever give myself.

@fit4life_73 : way to go! @worldsworstsuperhero : can't wait to read your update!
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    @maggiekat7 that is really awesome. I understand exactly how you feel. I didn't tear up but I definitely shared my experience with others with much enthusiasm in my voice. :# Funny you should mention the 10K. I had no interest in running a 10K until last night. My workout totalled 3.5 miles. Then I heard a little voice..."its only another 1.5 ish miles to a 10K, you can handle that" :# . My goal is to finish a 5k in 30 mins or less. I never considered the bridge to 10k. Now you have me thinking........

@KRPolo way to finish without music. I don't think I could do that right now.

@JSC145 you totally rocked it! W5d3 will be a breeze.
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I did it. I did it! I DID it! I DID IT!! I DID IT!

Week 5 Day 3 :smiley:

I am so happy- I NEVER thought this day would happen. I am so proud of myself tonight!

To all beginners, I urge you to stick with it. I nearly gave up after W1D1, but used the inspiring stories and constructive advice on this site to help me keep going. I hope that my success in somehow managing to run for 20 minutes today will encourage you to stick with the programme.

I hope one day all beginners will feel as good as I do right now :smiley:

To everyone who has been encouraging- thank you. May the karma pixies reward you tenfold <3
  • SuperMelanie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    maggiekat7 wrote: »
    It is very encouraging to read all the positive updates! Welcome to the newcomers!

Soooo, I completed week 5 day 3 this morning. When I heard the cool down prompt, I teared up. Yes, it's true. I am so proud of all the hard work I've done in the months prior to get to this point.

I reached my AHA-moment this week. I could have easily continued on running this morning and know that I can go wherever I want with this program now (already downloaded the 5K to 10K app!).Based on the previous two runs this week I was not worried about today and eager for the challenge. I have a birthday coming up next week (don't ask how many decades I'm celebrating, please - LOL!) and how I feel today is the best gift I could ever give myself.

@fit4life_73 : way to go! @worldsworstsuperhero : can't wait to read your update!

Group hug...High Five...Whoop! Whoop!....Bravo....COWABUNGA! (delete as culturally appropriate :smile: ) I have a bottle of champagne ready and waiting here and later this evening I will raise a glass to our success.

Thank you for all the encouragement. I couldn't have done it with you <3
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @worldsworstsuperhero, @fit4life_73, and @maggiekat7- CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm on to Week 7 on Sunday, and I can tell you, that once I completed that dreaded 20 minutes a few weeks ago, I couldn't wait to do it again! The first two runs of Week 6 had walking intervals again, and I found myself disliking it. Did Day 3 this morning, 22 minutes, and wanted to keep going at the end.

I just turned 40 in February, and never would have thought that I could do this. Even though I still have about 50 lbs to lose, I'm amazed at how much fitter I am starting to feel. One of the best parts of it is completing this journey with all of you, who are a daily inspiration.

@maggiekat7, I had the same AHA moment on W5D3- isn't it so empowering? Congratulations to everyone on their success thusfar, and I can't wait to read about your progress in the coming weeks.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @maggiekat7 , @worldsworstsuperhero and @fit4life_73 !

I completed W5D3 today as well :smile: Although I was dreading the 20 minutes run and doubting myself since Wednesday, today, I was rearing to go. Was waiting for the evening and I DID it!!! When I heard the one minute prompt, I was practically floating and could have gone a bit longer. Can't wait for the next week now!
  • samra338
    Options
    Great to hear your experience of week 6 @KRPolo. Good luck with week 7!
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    @samra338 Yayyyyyy for completing w5d3!!! Looks like there are quite a few of us starting w6 together. B)
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    @maggiekat7' @worldsworstsuperhero and @samra338 when is your next run? I really want to do it tomorrow but I have plans until 6. It will have to be Sunday. I'm looking forward to it.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    It's great to see the progress you are all making and the support and encouragement you are giving each other. Well done on your individual and collective successes. I look forward to reading you all graduate and then conquer the 10k programme.

Taeliesyn, Ceci and myself all hang out here as well http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/526-bridge-to-10k Hope to see you there soon.

Have fun and great 5ks
  • samra338
    Options
    I usually run Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays @fit4life_73.
    Thanks @ftrobbie. Hoping to see you all in the b210k group soon.
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    @fit4life_73 : i'm a M,W,F runner too. hey, did you see that? i called myself a RUNNER!

@samra338 : great job completing week 5!

@KRPolo : i'm almost 42, so i know what you mean when you are amazed at your progress.

@JSC145 : when is your w5d3 planned?

@adam1455 : enjoy your week 5, i found it much better than week 4.

@ftrobbie : thanks! i'll definitely be over at the 10k group.
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    tee hee... i'm feeling a lot of love. Congrats to everyone who is continuing to stick with the program and making progress!

plan to do week 5 day 3 tomorrow morning. Thanks for encouragement, everyone. Will let you know how it goes!
  • tbird9702
    tbird9702 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Did week 1 day 3 today. Was supposed to do it yesterday but the weather (quite active thunderstorm) had other ideas
  • SuperMelanie
    Options
    @maggiekat7' @worldsworstsuperhero and @samra338 when is your next run? I really want to do it tomorrow but I have plans until 6. It will have to be Sunday. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm starting W6 this evening. About 7 hours time (I'm in UK). Good luck to everyone. WE CAN DO THIS! :smiley:

• JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 5 day 3... kinda?

Couple thoughts...

First of all, I lasted until 18 min 30 sec but I hit a wall and even after I slowed down, couldn't go on. So turned around and walked until I caught my breath and then ran for 5 more min. Do I go onto week 6 or repeat week 5 day 3?

Secondly, Went farther than ever and by the time I walked back to my apt, realized I did 3.2 miles in 43 min! Whoo hoo! That's 5k!

Thirdly, props to people who run during the day. I usually run at dawn when the sun is just starting to rise but slept late today. It was HOT and muggy.

Finally, my god, so much geese poop on the trail. Is it possible to get bird flu from breathing in microscopic poop particles?? I was trying to avoid stepping in them and now the mapmyrun route looks like the wanderings of a drunk person...
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    @JSC145 ~ congrats on completing day3! That definitely counts in my book. Personally, I think w5d3 is a psychological challenge. If you're ok with it, then you should move on. That's awesome that you completed a 5k. I did the same thing :) that's too funny :D:D

Yayyy.....another week down.
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    I'm getting sick, so . . . instead of feeling sorry for myself I went for a run? Seriously, who am I now?

With three of my four children sick with fever, snotty noses and coughs I figured I was next in line when my throat became sore last night. I was supposed to do W6D1 tomorrow, but thought I'd sneak it in today just in case I feel really miserable as the day goes on.

I also ran a little later in the morning (about 2.5 hours later) and yes, @JSC145, it's bloody hot and muggy. Also, I think with 1:30 left to go, you can progress on to week 6. However, there is now shame in repeating weeks if you want to. I did that with week 4 (my absolute least favourite week of all) and know I benefited from it.

As much as I thought I'd dislike the intervals in week 6, I am grateful for them after today. I was feeling pretty spanky when when I started and my pace was 7:37 min/mi . . . way too fast. I used the first interval to calm the hell down and continued on at my regular pace. :lol:
  • Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just completed w1d3. I need to get up earlier, it is starting to get hot here.