Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice and encouragement! I'm not worried about my speed right now, I'm just trying to build a running base. I did 3.88 miles in 1:08:18 today. Following the 10k app it was 56 minutes of running, taking a walking break every 17 minutes. Felt good through most of it but was pretty tired by the end. Warm and very humid today, did not like the sticky weather.

Something interesting happened today. I wear headphones when I'm running and listen to an audio book. When I first began running a few weeks back, it was to keep my mind from boredom on my one hour walk/runs, and also to distract myself from the effort of running.

Today in the last quarter of my run, there was a fire. I heard the fire engine first and then saw the smoke. At first I thought it was on the far side of the street and didn't worry about it, bit as I got closer I realized it was on my side of the street. I was on a very busy street with no crosswalks, so I didn't have a choice but to continue. In order to be safe, I took my headphones out to hear any warnings or instructions from the firemen. There was a little smoke, but it wasn't too bad, so I felt okay with continuing my run segment.

This was the first time I hadn't used headphones since I began running for 10+ minutes at a time. With less distractions, I was able to feel how my body was doing during the run. I actually felt pretty good. I wasn't breathing too hard, and my legs weren't tired even though I'd been running for 40+ minutes at that point. I was quite pleased about it.

In the last 10 minutes or so of my run I was more tired. I'd put the headphones back in, but I was on another uphill section, and I was really feeling it. Oddly enough, when I'm tired, I speed up. It's harder for me to maintain a slow pace when I'm tired, so I tend to speed up, get more tired, then have to remind myself to go slow. The fastest part of my run was about a minute before it ended.

And the fire? It looked like a car fire that was already out by the time I reached it.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @Autumnfilly2005 You are making such great progress!

I rode yesterday, almost 24 miles with my girls bike group. It was hot! (That will probably be my theme for the next 3 - 4 months!) They are faster than me and always challenge me.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great running everyone!
    Robbie I hate that feeling of dread when you realise there is 1 more interval to go. Good work on your half mate :) you're bearing down on my times!

Autumnfilly, you're doing great! Sometimes I run without music, sometimes I run with. It's good to learn how to do both.

Ceci, good work on your runs and rides. Hopefully I might have a bike soon.

Let's see for me. Hill reps went good, although I only completed 3 reps. Ideally I would have done about 8 or 9. Definitely realised why everything says hill reps are strength work for runners! Saturday was a good parkrun, I was the RD so I started a bit late and stopped in part way through to make sure everything was going ok.
    Monday I doubled my ZR5K session to end up with a little over 10miles, and then Tuesday did my next ZR5K and group running, for a little more over 10miles, so 20miles for the week in the first two days.
    Calves have been killing me though with tightness that extends all the way to almost the back of the knee. Still everything else is feeling pretty good. It's good to be getting the miles into my legs again, even if my legs are so sure on that yet.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn You're safe, the next one is hilly, then after that it's FM training for me. So unless there is a simulation run to do, I can't see me trying to pb the HM again for a while. Nice to see you racking up the kms again.

Been doing the last hard week of training before a two week taper. Long foundation run, a horrendous tempo run, 32 minutes at near 5k pace sandwiched between easy running and an easy run this morning. HR is ok but I struggle with driving the hurt.

I have been using FetchEveryone to bring a point to running somewhere else to the normal routes. It has livened things up a little bit. It also plays to my other love in life, planning.

Hope you guys are enjoying your runs. Have fun!!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    My run last night was miserable, but I got it done. 5k in 32:06- my slowest time on that route since I started using Strava. It was hot and muggy, even though I waited as late as possible. We are having August like weather this week instead of June.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    You're still kicking along well Robbie, don't be surprised if you PB the HM distance in a training run for your FM.
    Good on you for still getting out Ceci, humidity is the silent killer when it comes to pace!

Another ZR5K hill rep session tonight. First hit at the hill was a long stronger than last time. However doing hill reps, attempting to do intervals and stopping to do calf raises resulted in a bit of swearing, along with my cursing in gibberish..... the burn, oh gods the burn.... Still I finished and I don't feel horrendous yet.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran a 10k this morning and managed a PR despite the heat! Finished 1:00:10.7 which was 2nd in my age group. I'm sure if it hadn't been so hot, I would have broken the hour mark!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I guess I pushed that run harder than I thought. My legs are still sore! It took at least 10 miles on the bike yesterday before my calves loosened up.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Didn't realise that I had not popped in here for a week. Oops, running has been going well, largely following the programme, ducked out of Fridays session, didn't get up early enough and really didn't fancy a run in the rain when I got home from work. A very wet weekend but decided I was a runner when I went out in the rain on both days, it was quite light so did not bother with a waterproof. Also went along to the inaugural Long Eaton parkrun on Saturday morning, great fun with a new crew and it is pancake flat, although underwater in places. Guess where pb's are going to be attempted in future, but only if dry!!

Ceci nice going on the pb, taeliesyn, nice to see you getting back to racking up those awesome k's and those hill repeats. Have fun everyone, I'll try not to leave it as long. :*

• Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    I did my race on Saturday. It was a 5k in 48:17, which is a pb for me. I was 11 out of 13 in my distance group. We started out real fast, and I kept having to slow down to my normal pace before I wore myself out. I could tell I was too fast when I couldn't get my breathing under control. When I'm running, I breathe harder than usual, but I never feel winded, which is my general yardstick for knowing how hard I should push. I got really nervous when everyone else passed me.

My last mile was the fastest, especially in the last half mile. However my perceived rate of exertion was the same all through the race, save for the very beginning when I was caught up in the pack. Does that mean I should start pushing myself harder, or is it a race mentality since I could now see the finish line?

I have about 2 or 3 weeks left on my 10k running program. Once it's done I'm going to start doing speedwork like fartleks or intervals or whatever.

I'm also building up my dog to come with me. Two weeks ago she had two walks of one mile each. Last week was 3 one mile walks. This week is 5 one mile walks, and then I'm going to start bringing her with me on my three mile runs, but only one a week. I'll do it Friday when I'm tired and at my slowest.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Glad everyone is ticking along well!
    Great work on your race Autumnfilly! You could experiment with pushing a little harder during 1 of your workouts, but at this point, plenty of easy miles is the best for you :) heck I'm nearly at 2 years running anniversary and plenty of easy miles is still one of the best things for me!

Saturday I did parkrun and went out a little harder than intended, then fell back a bit to run with two wonderful ladies, who both have a faster PB than I do. We stuck together and although it hurt at times I'd put it as a comfortably hard or a little uncomfortable as an overall rating, except my big finish which always hurts LOL.
    Sunday I worked the Miss Muddy obstacle course and ran it in the afternoon. Easy day if it wasn't for the lack of sleep and hangover from the bonfire the night before.... oh and the time spent in the Sumo Suits, that was brutal.
    Just a single ZR5K session last night. Everything was hurting before the run, but felt great during it. I didn't want to push though as I am doing a vVO2 max test on Friday, so don't want too much accumulated fatigue when I jump on the treadmill.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Autumnfilly you should continue to do more and more easy miles. It's still about time on feet regardless of speed. So try mixing up the times you run for some days longer, some shorter. One of the challenges I liked was an out and back on the "flat". So for a 30 minute run do 16 mins out and see how close you can get to where you started on the 14 mins back.

taeliesyn, sounds like a great few days running. Good luck with the vV02 max session. Rather you than me!! Have fun ;)
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @ftrobbie Hard to find flat routes around here. I've been wimping out on running in the rain and just heading to the gym (or doing nothing!) The heat is bothering me more than anything lately.

@Autumnfilly2005 You are doing great! Definitely wait until you finish the 10k program before doing speed work. More miles will mean faster pace.

@taeliesyn I want to do one of those obstacle runs, but I have NO upper body strength!

I went to the gym yesterday to avoid thunderstorms. Ran 2 miles in 19:29, then did 30 minutes on the stationary bike.

Just wanted to say, I love seeing veterans from this group popping up with sound advice in almost every running thread I look at! <3
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Couple of runs over the last 2 days, the normal early morning easy run which went as planned, but I missed this mornings run, so went this evening. I now remember why I don't like evening runs, I was lethargic, never got near the required tempo pace. I am going to put it down to one of those runs but perhaps the real issue is that I am tired hence why I did not get up and out this morning. More rest required.

Have fun everyone.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    4.06 miles in 1:10:05. 59 minutes of running, breaks every 18 minutes. I got out earlier today, so even though it was hot, it didn't feel like capital punishment. I also liberally slathered on the sunscreen before I went out. I was sweating white streaks, but at least I didn't get burnt like on Monday. My family has an extensive history of skin cancer, so I try to be careful about that. The back of one of my thighs is unhappy right now, I can't tell if it's from my run, or the stretches beforehand.

I've decided to do another 5k, probably in September. My goal is to be under 45 this time. That's a 15 minute pace. My pace for my race was 15:34, but in all of my regular runs, my time is about 17:30. I don't know how I did it. I have a while to go to reach that time.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well done on your PBs Robbie and Autumnfilly!

Autumnfilly, what kind of dog do you have? I have a Border Collie and he will often go for a 5 mile run with my husband in the morning and then a 5 mile run with me in the afternoon! Poor dog, lol!

Why is it we spend all winter wishing for the summer to come so we can go out running and then when it comes we wish for cooler weather?

I have a sore knee/leg again! Can you believe it? Every time I get back to a good level of fitness something goes wrong. Not actually sure where the pain is coming from, it starts below my knee and goes down the muscle at the top/inside of my shin. I think it might be the tendon but not sure. Felt a bit better so I went for 5k run yesterday and it was sore again afterwards. Will keep monitoring it.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @Just_Ceci do one any way, they are great fun and you'll find someone to help. Just give everything a go, you'll surprise yourself.
    @ftrobbie good idea putting it down as one of those runs. Evening runs are hard if you're used to morning runs. I'd love to run more in the mornings, but that would mean getting up at like 4:30am, if I'm only doing 30-45mins. You can imagine the time I'd need to get up for a 2hr run.
    @Autumnfilly2005 just keep plugging away one your easy runs. Once you get to the point of having a LSR, and some moderate or fast runs, your LSR will probably be a min or two per mile slower than your marathon pace, which is usually a minute slower than your 5k pace, so you're on track for speed. You'll nail your next race!
    I don't do much stretching before running, unless its dynamic stretching.
    @romyhorse sounds similar to the issue I had, although mine was the outside of the shin. Mine was partially caused by tight piriformis. Lots of hip stretching seems to have helped me.

Single ZR5K for me on tuesday and then the group run, kept most of it easy with a bit of speed towards the end. Still feeling nervous about tomorrow's test. More so for what the result will mean on the future training program that's also part of the study that I'm participating in.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Went to my National Park yesterday after work for a Brick (Bike to Run). After a good 10 mile ride, I ran 2 miles. I am wondering if this is ever going to get easier!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @taeliesyn that's the time I do get up most days. Good luck with the vV02max test today(?)

@Autumnfilly2005, I'm with taeliesyn very little stretching beforehand, static stretching on cold muscles is a recipe for disaster IMHO. I find warming up, moving through the paces is enough for me. 15min miles will get you 46:30, 5k is 3.1 miles so if you want under 45 you'll need to go at 14:30 or faster. Sorry :'(

@Just_Ceci you need to do more of them, they will get easier, is the problem the transition or just using different muscles? Getting the balance between the different intensities is something to watch

@romyhorse really sorry to hear about further issues, do you think it could be related to footwear? I know you changed shoes to something that fitted like a glove but could they be the source for your current issues?

Missed yesterdays session left home for work at 0530 and got back at 1915, really didn't feel like a run after spending 5.5 hours in a car and doing a set of reviews. Got out this morning, not too bad, great to start, then got sluggish, but felt really good in the 2nd half. This is the first week of taper, so 10 days before another HM, 3rd in six weeks and then onto FM training. Woo Hoo. B)

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    robbie- it has to be the using different muscles. The first mile of running after getting off the bike is awful- easily the hardest mile I've ever run every time! I haven't even really worked on the transition thing yet. I very slowly take off the bike shoes, put the bike in the truck, change into the running shoes, etc. When it gets closer to competing in an actual duathlon, I'll work on transitions.