May 2013 Starters

Options

Replies

• irandamay
    irandamay Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Not eating before is not necessarily a mistake. Some people do like to work out on an empty stomach in the morning.

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It depends on the length and intensity of my workout. I would not personally eat something before a walk, but that is only because I have been exercising long enough that that is not an intense workout for me.

How did you feel? If you did not feel weak or like your blood sugar was crashing, then you probably don't necessarily need to eat before you go out, and then it's just a matter of preference. :)
  • spamanda53
    spamanda53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Miranda - I didn't realize you had been doing so many races. That. Is. Awesome! Kudos to you!

Willow - I hope that you enjoyed your day off!

Carin - Eh, the chores can afford to slip by. That's my opinion anyways. haha

Roger - I think it depends on the 'intensity' of your walk/exercise. Most fitness people will say that you should eat some type of carb (like your banana) before a workout to give you the 'fuel' and 'energy' needed. Then you should have some sort of protein when you finish exercising to help repair muscles and such. So, if you are just going for a light stroll, it probably doesn't matter as much as if you are really pushing yourself. I'd suggest just listening to your body and finding what works for you -- and also making sure to drink a glass or two of water before your walk to make sure you are hydrated.
  • willow_river
    willow_river Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Miranda- your "race-y" schedule makes my head spin! LOL There is sure a lot of strategy that goes into this race positioning business! Kudos to you for having the interest, and ability, to put in all that effort! I'm impressed!

Carin - Of course, that all goes for you, too! You seem to always have a race of some sort on the horizon. Next one is Alaska???

Roger - I'm far from the fitness expert, but I find that I need a little something to eat before I do much exercise in the morning. Today, it was grapes and a little yogurt before about an hour of mild-moderate intensity yard work. I don't have diabetes (don't know if you do), but I definitely wouldn't go far from home i.e., go for a walk, without eating a banana or something as I wouldn't want to get into a blood sugar crash and have trouble getting back home. Maybe that's just my 59 year old body talking. . . but, that seems to work best for me.

Amanda - Speaking of exercise. . . just wonder what, if any, exercise you are doing these days. I remember that both of us have tried various things in the past and kept running into physical issues that got in the way. . . back, hip, etc. Yard work and gardening still work best for me. I have been doing some walking around the neighborhood recently, though. And, then, there was that mountain hike over the weekend that I thoroughly enjoyed despite a little issue with the altitude. Anyway, just curious.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

willow
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    irandamay wrote: »
    Not eating before is not necessarily a mistake. Some people do like to work out on an empty stomach in the morning.

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It depends on the length and intensity of my workout. I would not personally eat something before a walk, but that is only because I have been exercising long enough that that is not an intense workout for me.

How did you feel? If you did not feel weak or like your blood sugar was crashing, then you probably don't necessarily need to eat before you go out, and then it's just a matter of preference. :)

Hi Miranda
    I suspect that my Blood sugar did drop low, but I forgot to check it. I think I'll try a Banana Tomorrow before I walk and then finish my Breakfast of NS Pancake Mix and NS Protein Shake.

Cheers
    Roger
    spamanda53 wrote: »
    Miranda - I didn't realize you had been doing so many races. That. Is. Awesome! Kudos to you!

Willow - I hope that you enjoyed your day off!

Carin - Eh, the chores can afford to slip by. That's my opinion anyways. haha

Roger - I think it depends on the 'intensity' of your walk/exercise. Most fitness people will say that you should eat some type of carb (like your banana) before a workout to give you the 'fuel' and 'energy' needed. Then you should have some sort of protein when you finish exercising to help repair muscles and such. So, if you are just going for a light stroll, it probably doesn't matter as much as if you are really pushing yourself. I'd suggest just listening to your body and finding what works for you -- and also making sure to drink a glass or two of water before your walk to make sure you are hydrated.

Hi Amanda
    What I do is get a Large Black Coffee on the outbound leg or else a Large Seltzer depending on the temperature. Most Places that have Soda dispensers can dispense the Carbonated water without the Soda syrup in it. I know I have never hit a McDonalds that could not do it for me going back to the 80s.

Cheers
    Roger
    Good morning!

Miranda- your "race-y" schedule makes my head spin! LOL There is sure a lot of strategy that goes into this race positioning business! Kudos to you for having the interest, and ability, to put in all that effort! I'm impressed!

Carin - Of course, that all goes for you, too! You seem to always have a race of some sort on the horizon. Next one is Alaska???

Roger - I'm far from the fitness expert, but I find that I need a little something to eat before I do much exercise in the morning. Today, it was grapes and a little yogurt before about an hour of mild-moderate intensity yard work. I don't have diabetes (don't know if you do), but I definitely wouldn't go far from home i.e., go for a walk, without eating a banana or something as I wouldn't want to get into a blood sugar crash and have trouble getting back home. Maybe that's just my 59 year old body talking. . . but, that seems to work best for me.

Amanda - Speaking of exercise. . . just wonder what, if any, exercise you are doing these days. I remember that both of us have tried various things in the past and kept running into physical issues that got in the way. . . back, hip, etc. Yard work and gardening still work best for me. I have been doing some walking around the neighborhood recently, though. And, then, there was that mountain hike over the weekend that I thoroughly enjoyed despite a little issue with the altitude. Anyway, just curious.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

willow

Hi Willow
    Prior to NutriSystem I was in a Pre-Diabetic state, any higher and they would have called it Diabetes. With the NutriSystem it has dropped down into the normal range.

So Banana it is.

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
  • willow_river
    Options
    Hello Friends!

Didn't sleep well and I'm tired this morning...still, off to an 8:00 am meeting.

My thoughts for today are on how to stay cool. The forcast is for 99 degrees! Scorcher!

Have a good one!

Willow
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    I woke up early, For me that is :)
    Brought up News 12 the local cable channel and looked at the weather and decided to walk. So I ate my really ripe Banana, When I looked out the window it looked OK, When I went out the front door it was drizzling. So I put on my Frogg Toggs Jacket, put the folding umbrella in my pocket and went anyway. Same route as the last two times. I have planned out a new route that is the same distance for the next walk. :)

I feel better today after the walk, whether due to eating the Banana or the Day off I can not say.
    Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
    Hello Friends!

Didn't sleep well and I'm tired this morning...still, off to an 8:00 am meeting.

My thoughts for today are on how to stay cool. The forcast is for 99 degrees! Scorcher!

Have a good one!
    Willow

Hi Willow
    Do me a Big Favor and keep that weather out by You :)
    I was watching the weather forecast and they showed much higher that that for Palm Spring, Yuma, Las Vegas and Phoenix. I do not know how those people do it.

I did not sleep well either, My Throat felt like I might be coming down with something during the night and disrupting my sleep. Currently I feel better :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • willow_river
    Options
    Just noticed the typos in my last post. That's what happens when I try to type on my phone, I guess! Ugh!!
  • willow_river
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Roger- Good to hear you did better with your walk today!

I'm happy to keep the warm weather! 99 IS pretty hot, but not what you might expect as we have such low humidity. I grew up in the Midwest and know all about humidity. That's honestly one of the main reasons we live here....it's a dry heat!!
  • spamanda53
    Options

I was doing really well (in my opinion). I was doing at least 30 minutes (usually closer to 45 or 60) on the treadmill 5 or 6 days a week. But then life started getting in the way. We got the windows redone in the house which means that we had to move everything (including the treadmill and surrounding items), then just as we were about to move it all back, some guests came into town and the "Gym" had to go back to "Guest Room" so the treadmill had to get folded up again. And then we redid the floors in that room. With all of the rain, walking outside hasn't really been an option - even when it's NOT raining, since it has been so rainy, nothing has had a chance to dry out and so the roads and pathways are quite slippery. I already tripped over a curbstop in the parking lot at my office and busted my knee pretty good -- don't need to do that again. haha. BUT... The treadmill is back in it's position and has no plans to move or be folded in the near future, so I can get back to my workout schedule. :)
  • spamanda53
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi All

I feel better today after the walk, whether due to eating the Banana or the Day off I can not say.
    Have a Great Thursday
    Roger

Hi Willow
    Do me a Big Favor and keep that weather out by You :)
    I was watching the weather forecast and they showed much higher that that for Palm Spring, Yuma, Las Vegas and Phoenix. I do not know how those people do it.

Glad you are feeling better :)

Like Willow said -- There really is a difference between a "dry" heat and hot and humid. haha. And I guess they just kinda get used to it. Like people who get snow and go days on end with temperatures not going above freezing. I don't know how people do THAT. haha.

Luckily for us, the rain / whatever pressure system we have going on is keeping the temperatures low lately. The high for the next seven days is like low 90s. Which is CRAZY for June. I mean the humidity is at 76% at the moment so it's not all kittens and rainbows but... That 76% humidity makes the 82 degrees feel like 91 so.... I'll take it. haha
  • willow_river
    Options
    Happy Friday! I hope everyone has fun plans for the weekend!

willow
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    One more day until Fathers Day and the first day of Summer.

I walked today, a rerun of Yesterdays route. It was nice while the breeze was blowing but when it stopped I started sweating until it resumed blowing and that was with going out the front door at 6:45AM :)

Around 11AM when working in the back Yard I started feeling a fine mist, It seems that the rain is starting to arrive early. The worst is supposed to be tonight and Sunday Morning :(

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
    Just noticed the typos in my last post. That's what happens when I try to type on my phone, I guess! Ugh!!

Hi Willow
    Or maybe Auto-correct?
    The 45 Funniest Autocorrect Fails Of 2014
    Damn You Auto Correct Website

Cheers
    Roger
    spamanda53 wrote: »
    I was doing really well (in my opinion). I was doing at least 30 minutes (usually closer to 45 or 60) on the treadmill 5 or 6 days a week. But then life started getting in the way. We got the windows redone in the house which means that we had to move everything (including the treadmill and surrounding items), then just as we were about to move it all back, some guests came into town and the "Gym" had to go back to "Guest Room" so the treadmill had to get folded up again. And then we redid the floors in that room. With all of the rain, walking outside hasn't really been an option - even when it's NOT raining, since it has been so rainy, nothing has had a chance to dry out and so the roads and pathways are quite slippery. I already tripped over a curbstop in the parking lot at my office and busted my knee pretty good -- don't need to do that again. haha. BUT... The treadmill is back in it's position and has no plans to move or be folded in the near future, so I can get back to my workout schedule. :)

Hi Amanda
    Life can get in the way like that sometimes :)
    I'm always glad when guests arrive but also when the leave :)

Enjoy the Weekend
    Roger
  • willow_river
    Options
    Just got in from more yard work! Things are shaping up nicely outside. . . for now. There will be more though. . . that's the nature of yard work, right!?

Speaking of weather. . . it has been pushing 100 here for a few days. This coming weekend the temperatures are predicted to be up to 106! Fortunately for me, I will be in San Francisco where it is supposed to be in the 60s!

Amanda - You HAVE been doing well on the treadmill! Good for you! Don't let a few days of inactivity get in the way of getting back to it. It sounds like you have everything back in order to get back on that treadmill now. :) BTW, sorry to hear about your knee. Bummer! Hope it is doing better.

Roger - A fellow yard work enthusiast, maybe?

Stay the course, everyone!

willow
  • spamanda53
    Options
    I did not do well on Sunday -- I mean it was better than Pre-NS but by no means "On Plan." But... I got right back on track yesterday. That's the most important part, right? :)

Have a wonderful day everyone!
  • irandamay
    Options
    Sorry you are having such warm weather! It's been raining here a lot. The grass is at least nice and green again after it got burned to a crisp in the heat wave we had at the end of May. Everything was all brown and burned like it was the end of August!
  • willow_river
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Amanda - I can really relate to not doing well with staying "on plan!" I don't know what is wrong with me, but I just can't seem to quit eating in the evenings. Fortunately, I am eating NS foods. . . but, nevertheless, I'm eating way too much! It has been several weeks since I've stepped on the scale as I'm sure I have gained. There is no way I wouldn't gain considering how much I've been eating. Maybe, I need to just weigh and face the music!

Miranda - Yay for green grass! Hopefully, you will have a few weeks of green to enjoy before it all gets burned to a crisp again! Do people water their grass in NJ? We have to water here if we want anything to grow. At my house we have a sprinkler system as well as weekly irrigation water that we use to flood the garden. Otherwise, there would be nothing green, at all.

Most of the time I enjoy the warm weather. It still gets cool at night and is very comfortable in the early mornings for doing yard work or whatever needs to be done outside. I probably won't be saying that when the thermometer climbs above 100 during the day, though. :o
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Just got in from more yard work! Things are shaping up nicely outside. . . for now. There will be more though. . . that's the nature of yard work, right!?

Speaking of weather. . . it has been pushing 100 here for a few days. This coming weekend the temperatures are predicted to be up to 106! Fortunately for me, I will be in San Francisco where it is supposed to be in the 60s!

Amanda - You HAVE been doing well on the treadmill! Good for you! Don't let a few days of inactivity get in the way of getting back to it. It sounds like you have everything back in order to get back on that treadmill now. :) BTW, sorry to hear about your knee. Bummer! Hope it is doing better.

Roger - A fellow yard work enthusiast, maybe?

Stay the course, everyone!

willow

Hi Willow, Nope, Not a fan of working outside when it is hot and humid :)

I just heard some thunder rumbling in the distance so I'm keeping this short.

Cheers
    Roger
    Amanda - I can really relate to not doing well with staying "on plan!" I don't know what is wrong with me, but I just can't seem to quit eating in the evenings. Fortunately, I am eating NS foods. . . but, nevertheless, I'm eating way too much! It has been several weeks since I've stepped on the scale as I'm sure I have gained. There is no way I wouldn't gain considering how much I've been eating. Maybe, I need to just weigh and face the music!

Miranda - Yay for green grass! Hopefully, you will have a few weeks of green to enjoy before it all gets burned to a crisp again! Do people water their grass in NJ? We have to water here if we want anything to grow. At my house we have a sprinkler system as well as weekly irrigation water that we use to flood the garden. Otherwise, there would be nothing green, at all.

Most of the time I enjoy the warm weather. It still gets cool at night and is very comfortable in the early mornings for doing yard work or whatever needs to be done outside. I probably won't be saying that when the thermometer climbs above 100 during the day, though. :o

Hi Again
    Many people water the lawn here in my neighborhood. I have only been watering the garden and hanging baskets.

My Brother says I am not a gardener, Why?
    Something has been eating the bean plant leave again, He feels I should put a wire cage around them, I'm more fatalistic. I just will not plant anymore. They had been recovering and then last night they seem to have been hit again.

Cheers
    Roger
  • irandamay
    Options
    I am in NH not NJ :) But sometimes people water stuff here... most of the time we just let the rain do the work, though.
  • willow_river
    Options
    irandamay wrote: »
    I am in NH not NJ :) But sometimes people water stuff here... most of the time we just let the rain do the work, though.

Oops, sorry about that, Miranda! I knew you are in NH. . . must have been a brain fart! LOL Did you get deluged with rain this week? I saw on the news that there was quite a rain/hail storm somewhere along the upper Eastern coastline a day or two ago. The national news showed destructive flooding, but was not specific about which states were involved.

We are very warm here now and wishing for some rain. The grass isn't growing much in the heat, but, so far, we have been able to keep it green by watering regularly. I will be leaving tomorrow for a weekend convention in California and have been instructing my partner in what needs to be done to keep everything alive while I'm away. That is typically my department, but I'm sure she can handle it. :)

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

willow

• irandamay
    Options
    Yeah we did have a lot of rain earlier in the week... I think it was from the remnants of the hurricane down south.