Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 59 min.
    That's what 3 swims in 3 weeks does. Also had great difficulty keeping up with the tempo of my music (130 BPM/ 65 strokes per min) as usually happens when I've been inconsistent with my swims!
    Hope to take off the additional 5 min in overall time off over the next 3 weeks!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited June 2015
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Only one swim last week. Hopefully this week I'm back to my usual routine! Like the closed fist drills, need to finally get a pull buoy. Left it too long!
    @Stephen and @AquaticQuests - Check out swimoutlet.com an online shop for swim gear and I am sure you can get a reasonable priced pull buoy there that will be better than what you are using. AQ not sure if they have an equivalent in your corner of the globe but its worth a try,
    Breast Stroke Day 750m breast, 250m free, 250 back, 50 free sprint, 200 left shoulder breathing w fins.
    Slowly getting better on the Bi-lateral breathing.
    I must be doing something right because I have had some new swimmers ask me for pointers. I usually point at one of the LG's - most (70-80%) of our LG's are trained as swim instructor's so they are all ways willing to give a pointer about technique.
    Yep I can get them at local sports shops, so just end to go ahead and do it!
    Good that the new swimmers asked you - you have lots of swimming knowledge to pass on :smile:
    Macstraw wrote: »
    I got a decent pull buoy off of eBay for a good price a few years ago, try there also.....
    Taking the extra couple of days off was exactly what the doctor ordered, usually when I do that I can feel the layoff but I was nice & strong today. All freestyle: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 yards in 114 minutes......
    Glad to hear your body recovered after that unusual swim (by your usual standards)!
    Bizarre tightness across my chest that had me really puzzled - til I remembered I was at a barn dance Saturday night, and we were doing the basket (ie your arms take your entire body weight, whilst spinning around)...
    It was fun to be dancing, and my aerobic fitness was just fine thanks to the swimming!
    :smiley: Great reason for the tightness! Barn dancing!!!
    Had a Flying Trip to Edmonton today for work. Did a combination run and swim at the Kinsmen Park ( 1976 Commonwealth Games ) area. Did the 5 km Emily Murphy park/River Valley Rd Loop.
    Loved the South side run thru the trees along the river on the Gravel bush trail.
    Then went into the Kinsmen pool ( 50m ) and did a very slow 700m of mixed free/breast/back.
    Just didn't have any legs left after running ( to many little hills along the river bank ).
    Really understand why Triathlons are Swim Bike Run.
    Wow good job Juliet. The different environment and scenery must have been a welcome change!
    65 minutes, 2050m. I spent the whole time concentrating on the one change my coach suggested (changing the rotation of my hand as it exits the water). I feel like I just did push-ups for an hour.

I'm curious - what change was that?

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Today was a drylander day ..61 minutes on a rowing machine. I hate that I couldn't find any calorie calculators that took meters into account instead of subjective light/moderate/vigorous. (10km)

But I did sneak in a 100 meters mixed strokes to cool off/refresh at the end.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I did 20 minutes of tethered water jogging and an hour of water aerobics. Lap swim tomorrow...
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Finally got in to see the sports medicine doc today (instead of the physician assistant at the orthopedic surgeon). He says I can get back in the pool and even do the 3.1-mile open-water swim in a couple of weeks as long as I'm not in too much pain that I need to compensate with poor form. Also does not want me to work on speed drills or worry about my time. He says the real problem is with my shoulder and the elbow comes from over compensating for shoulder issues. He gave me a whole new set of exercises and is sending me to physical therapy for the shoulder. My shoulder doesn't even hurt but he demonstrated that it is weaker than the other shoulder when doing some movements.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    That's good news, Rob!!!! Swimmers tend to have shoulder issues because the shoulders are the most unstable large joints in the body & we put a lot of torque on them. I would bet the exercises you get for the shoulder will be designed to strengthen the muscles in & around the joint to help stabilize it....

Nice work, Everybody!!!!

I didn't go to the pool today, my daughter will be moving up to the high school in the fall & they had a moving up ceremony for them this morning - kinda like a little graduation - so I hit the treadmill this morning & went to the ceremony. Back to it in the morning....
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    250 breast 750 free. very crowded today with lots of new faces.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good morning - been back in the pool since Monday and it feels good. Doing gym based exercises just wasn't cutting it for me.

On the bad news front my gym has upped its monthly cost. But the good news is that it seems that in London you can join a public pool for a monthly/annual fee just to SWIM and a reduced cost, plus you can also use your card in any of the pools that are part of the scheme. I have got to check this out - whilst it means no free towels, spending less than 50% on my private gym has to be seriously considered. Also, if I can use one of the public pools close to work then I will be able to swim for an hour in the morning instead of 45 mins.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    2000 meters this morning, all freestyle. 57 minutes. 500 swim, 250 kick with fins, 500 pull, 250 kick with fins, 500 free. I hadn't been in the pool since Friday so it felt great!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Managed 31 min of swimming before the pool closed for the day!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Today's workout: 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 8 x 200 I.M., 500 free, 2 x 200 I.M., 1000 free, 250 free in 98 minutes. Slowly getting that 500 free in the middle of the I.M.'s pushed back with the ultimate goal of being able to do 10 200 I.M.'s in a row. Don't know if it'll happen by the end of the summer, next week I'll be in summer mode. I'll be in Pennsylvania for the summer, so I won' be swimming as much yardage but I'll be doing a lot more walking. Our community pool is knocking the 1 hour adult lap swim back from 3 days to 2, so I think I'm going to drive down to a different branch of my gym 2 additional days to keep my yardage up as much as possible. It's an hour drive each way, but it's worth it.....
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I'm curious - what change was that?

I was bringing my hand out palms toward my thighs (and a little early). He told me to put my palms up (perpendicular to my thigh, almost) and thinking of splashing someone behind me. It generates a lot more power, but uses more strength.

2k in 1 hour, working on the same stuff.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Open water swim. I screwed up with my watch, but it looks like about .9 miles 50:12. Still trying to get my speed up in the open water.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    30 minutes kickboard backstroke, 17 minutes breast stroke pull buoy, 15 minutes water aerobics
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was bringing my hand out palms toward my thighs (and a little early). He told me to put my palms up (perpendicular to my thigh, almost) and thinking of splashing someone behind me. It generates a lot more power, but uses more strength.
    Did he have a particular drill for this?

Did I swim Today? Sort of.
    Grabbed my swim bag and walked over to the Pool.
    As soon as I got in the Change Room I realized that I forgot my lock at home and No Wallet.
    The Staff know me so I begged for a Lock and they loaned me one.
    Back in the Change room opened my bag.
    Towel check
    Trunks check
    Shampoo not
    Goggles not argh##!!** ( still in my suitcase from my Monday Road Trip )
    Looks like its Backstroke and Sidestroke Day.
    250m side, 750 back.
    Felt Like I didn't really get a workout in.
    Walked Home and took the Super Long way so I would at least get a little more Exercise in.
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Frustrating swims lately. My goggles keep immediately fogging up even with spit. They are pretty new too, so needless to say my last 2 swims have been cut short.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Nice swim today - 2.2km crawl with flip turns every other turn. I am slowly getting better at the flips, but am still not quite fit enough to make them every turn.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Did he have a particular drill for this?
    Not really. I was doing catch-up, some one arm, lots with paddles. Today he had me add finger-trail, but that was another fix (keeping my elbow higher on entry).

2600m-ish in 90min(ish) open water. Also practiced some beach starts. I've got the basic technique, but I bruised my hand on a rock. I feel well and truly exercised. :)

• Macstraw
    Options
    Didn't swim today, had a long & busy day yesterday - didn't get to bed until 1am or so & wasn't getting up at 4:15 to swim, so I guess it's an easy day today.....
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Goggle stress here too.... I realised before I got to the pool, and wimped out. Ah well.