Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Its been cloudy and overcast these last 2 day with temps in the high 90's and 100% humidity. Sweltering is what it is. Been off from my 2nd job this week but working extra tomorrow 3-11pm. Hope everyone is well. Just got back from walking the dog, Gibbs, see ya later.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    @ Faith....look at our diaries. Most of us are around 1200-1400cals and stay under 20gm carbs. You should get some ideas. What about smoked salmon and cream cheese, almond flour/creamcheese or almond flour pancakes, cold meats, grilled cheese, low carb breads. Looks to me as though you are not eating enough fat. If you keep your diet this bland you will soon get fed up! Look at the recipe section on the Launch pad at the top of the discussions section or look at Pinterest especially stepawayfromthecarbs. There are loads of different ideas for all foods. Other good websites are ketodietapp and Ibreatheimhungry. Excellent recipes and guides for those starting....or experienced in low carb eating.
    Most people seem to find eating too low carb is counterproductive to losing weight plus you get those feelings of deprivation. This way of eating(woe) should not do that as we have sooooo much we can eat! :) and stay keto!

Had the heart flutters and thumps again the last few days/nights. Dont know if its because I'm so tired or low mag again. Cant do much about the sleep but will up my magnesium etc and try to get rid of it again.
    I forgot to say that happily my gloomy days went...I stopped the rhodiola for a week and cheered up. have added it back in again and no probs so I guess i was just having one of those spells when the in laws etc were getting on my nerves and I wasnt getting enough sleep again. Cant do anything about the sleep just yet....dont expect any losses....and I'm avoiding the in laws, hehehehehe.

BTW can anyone apart from Janice guess why I used the profile pic I have??? :);)

• Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    @Jane. ROFL!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    My name is Paula. I chose my username because my mother's name was Wilma. My nickname is always been Pebbles. The MDA part comes from the fact that I spent 4 years blogging on Mark's Daily Apple website and I wanted my friends there to be able to recognize me when they came here.

*waves* I don't know if you remember me from there, but we followed a lot of the same people around until I wandered off. Twibble or Twibbly, can't remember which I was there.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    Welcome Paula. I used to be a daily visitor at MDA. I only posted a couple of times though. My name is Janice and I first tried a Primal diet in the fall of 2010 too. Lots of great info over there. I would consider myself Primal keto now.
  • FaithMathias
    FaithMathias Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well ladies I went for a walk and I got in 853 calories today. I am going to have me a smoothly for snack tonight. I will get at least 200 more calories in that way.
  • FaithMathias
    Options
    @jumanjane thank you I did not know I could see what others were eating and logging. This is such a great help for me.
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yes I do remember you Twibbly. :)
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Welcome Paula and an Award to you for reading the entire thread - wow! I have to rush out to get to the in-laws and help re-install MIL at home. Will try to reply more politely later <3
    jumanajane wrote: »
    I too am surprised they discharged her before finding somewhere....

There's worse. They're doing her discharge as we speak and someone is going to *follow them home* to check that the house is kitted out for safety. WTF???????????? I have no other words.

• Sk8Kate
    Options
    @May. We did that too. A person came to see what was needed & explain things to FIL. He got so upset he kicked them out of his house. It's really too bad they're discharging her to home & not care facility. Do you have home care there? At least we had a homecare nurse checking 1/wk on her meds, etc. Then 2/wk homecare came to do meals & some light physio. Try & stay strong thru this. Hugs.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Hi Everyone <3 Just home after what seems a long and draining day. MIL is home and, as predicted, FIL is now declaring long and loud that he can care for her by himself. This time I predicted this and divorced myself of any emotional response one way or the other. David *has* looked into care facilities and has found one close to their own home so Albert could stay in the house, which is definitely best for him now, and even moreso when he gets to be alone again IYKWIM. Enid has never been a shrinking violet and is *adamant* that she doesn’t need to go into care, that Albert can cope with her and that care facilities are worse than jails, and she’s seen them (implying they’re all the same). So David may try to get his Dad to view the one near their home ‘for the future’ or ‘if needed one day’ just to get him there. But, as they’ve been doing for the past 5 horrible years of severely declining health, they again insist they don’t need help, nor should they move anywhere. So on their heads be it in 2 days/weeks/months’ time when they are forced to believe the truth. They can’t expect an immediate vacancy at a moment’s notice, but my way to sanity is to tell myself I don’t care. We have Silver Chain home nursing, but they just race in, give injections/dress wounds etc and are off again. Enid is having someone come 3 days a week to shower her – grudgingly – and that’s only been for the past few weeks. They could get shopping or cleaning done but staunchly deny their need for either.

For those who don’t know, she has alzheimers, unstable heart rate, postural HBP, chronic kidney disease and insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes. She collapses in a heap regularly, hurts herself as she falls, and the past 2 times has been unconscious for a couple of minutes after the fall. I wouldn’t be able to care for her and I’m a strong 58 year old, 30 years younger than Albert.

Onto happier things… @Jane Yes, Coyotee’s partner is fine now thank you. They put her on a drip of anti-biotics and that seems to have done the trick. It was ‘just’ a UTI but she was doubled over with pain in her stomach and back, but still waited 5 hours in emergency to be seen. They’re going away down south for a few days’ holidays tomorrow so I’m really relieved she’s better now. My other son and family go down south next Thursday for 4 or 5 days and we go on 20th. All of us arranged our holidays with no clue the others were doing the same. I’m longing for the honeymoon time with my hunk and get away from all the daily nonsense.

As to visiting mothers, when I first found out the word narcissist, it explained so much about my mother’s behaviour that I started a list of events that were now unravelled for me. Bearing in mind that quite a few of the things on the list were done repeatedly, but only count as one item, my list is over 100 items long. As I wrote the list, the lights came on for me and the pain, shame and guilt associated with them all fell away. It’s been over a year since I had a visit with, or from, my mother unless a third person is there to keep her in check and I find myself doubting that she’s really as nasty as I think she is. Then I remember my list, knowing I was of full faculties during the 2 years it took me to put it together, and I know to keep my resolve and never see her alone ever again. And yes, injustice and bullying are the things of this world that get me most riled up. It’s obvious why. There is a website with the very long name of daughtersofnarcissisticmothers I belonged there for about 6 months and it helped me, but the general mentality is that of a pity party rather than working through it to wellness, and I wanted wellness so I took what I wanted and left.

There *are* imports of food to Australia but I hate to think of the hoops the companies go through, and the costs of inspections etc. I haven’t watched Border Patrol but yes, Aussie Customs are all that you would have read about and more besides. When overseas we never buy anything made with any animal or plant product because it will almost be guaranteed to be seized. Even some things made here and taken out of the country can’t be brought back in! We can’t even bring food into Western Australia from other states of Australia.

What a shame about your pool, and the unused one teasing you, just out of reach!

As to the heart flutters, I’m finding that a teaspoonful of ACV each morning and the half dose of rhodiola/ashwagandha/ginseng etc each evening is keeping those at bay. I had it a little during last night but otherwise it’s been well over a week since I felt my heart at all – which is awesome in this case! Addition of magnesium, potassium or excessive salt all made that worse a while ago so I daren’t take the first 2 at all, and keep the salt ‘on the line’ to prevent cramps, but no higher. So pleased you are back to your usual chirpy, positive self again. Avoiding in-laws sounds like a brilliant move!!!

@Janice I wish they had admitted Enid straight to a care home, but apparently she kept telling the doctors she wanted to go home and that Albert has been caring for her for years and was still well capable. It’s so frustrating! We know that you are right as to the care that she would receive, but there’s nothing we can do with Albert as her next of kin. Enid is such a strong character that the only one who can ‘win’ with her is David’s sister, Wendy. I’m glad that your Baba enjoyed her time with so many friends and such good care!

@Cindy I’m very happy to hear that your water retention issues are fixed, that’s fantastic news.

@Paula Thank you for giving your details in full, it’s so lovely to get to know our girls here. We call steak and shrimp (prawns to us) a ‘Surf ‘n Turf’ meal. Have you found that keto has helped the binge eating and cravings? As I read your post I felt that you have a ‘danger point’ when you lose weight that you don’t feel it’s safe to be any slimmer or weigh any lighter. I have this myself a little and haven’t yet unravelled what’s so dangerous about it, except perhaps a fear of being noticed – in my case because my mother would make sure I suffered if I had any attention that could have been for her. So long ago, yet so persistent still. Your life sounds very full and interesting. Thank goodness for your husband’s knowledge and skill to have kept you alive, wow!

@Faith I hope you can find more interesting food. I tend to get in a rut if I’m not careful. 800 calories really isn’t ‘enough’, though I don’t think it hurts once in a while if that’s all you truly want. Find a fat that you enjoy – something spread thickly with butter, or crispy cooked bacon or… Use oily fish if you can and slap butter on top.

@Kathie Oh wow, so we’re not alone with the stupidity then? I’m so sorry you had to endure this too. My in-laws already have a bar next to the toilet, but that’s all. Our toilets are in tiny rooms, impossible for a second person to stand beside it to help. Albert can stand in front of Enid as she sits, but if the floor is slippery they’ll both end up in a heap. It seems the agency is going to put a hand rail in the shower stall tomorrow. She sits on a safety stool to be showered.

On a funny note, we had lunch in a cafe. I eat really slowly and as the guy cleared David's plate away and I was only half way through mine he said "It's OK, we're open all week!" David and I both laughed and I fear I will be hearing that again from David for a while.
  • lmanes1
    lmanes1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 50. July 11. I am perimenipasal. No problems with that.

I started my lchf journey in June of 2014. I have lost 40 lbs. I have maintained between 178-183 since February. I am a teacher so now that I am not working full time my focus is back on starting weight loss again. My goal is 30 more pounds gone.

What works for me is keeping my macros at 5% carbs, 25% protein and 75% fat. I have to do this with real non processed foods. (No bars)

I exercise 2-3 times a week with moderate cardio and weight training.

I lose about a lb or 2 a week if I stay focused. But my weight always fluctuates. I keep a graph that shows the downward trend so I don't get discouraged.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Exciting to see this thread topping 1000 posts! :smiley: welcome newbies! It's so great to hear about everyone's lives and daily challenges!
    What a great group of ladies we all are! :blush:
    I'm enjoying some non social time for a change. Lazy days, staying in the AC, past few days!
    Our 14 year old dog (mixed breed stray) has developed Megaesopghagus from always eating his food too fast. His esophagus has stretched to the point of being a reservoir because the food can't get into his stomach as fast as he eats. He had begun to vomit severely and aspirated into his lungs giving him aspiration pneumonia. Get gave him an antibiotic injection to help the pneumonia, and we have altered his feeding. We are feeding him spoonfuls of food at a time and feeding him in an upright position, instead of allowing him to eat with his head down. Have been able to decrease the vomiting events and he isn't coughing like he was. Poor thing wasn't getting all of his nutrition! He has more energy now. So, anyone who has a dog that doesn't chew their food, or just eats too fast, may want to alter the feeding to several smaller meals throughout the day.

I haven't been back on the scale since it dropped five of the pounds to 207 pounds. I'm pretty much remaining ZC. Have done a few carbs of fruit and veggies, with mixed results. I'm glad to be able to determine which foods affect me negatively. I've tested them about once a week so nothing is too close together. I will continue to test some lc veggies, mainly for research at this point (if I have a taste for them) no more than once every few days. This process was made easier after being ZC in May and has made elimination of particular foods easier. I believe I will always be 20 grams, or less, since I've had the improvements in my health. They will always be my focus too, not the scale.

@May! It's awful that they discharged your mil without securing the proper care for her and making sure she has the proper equipment needed for her care. We have social workers here in the states to take care with helping anticipate the needs of particular patients after discharge. I hope the home health situation works out though I know they are in and out pretty quickly. I know you're looking forward to your holiday away with David. Is interesting how your family planned theirs around the same time that you did. Will you be without MFP during that time too? Since you said no phones I was just wondering. :smile:

You all inspire me, everyday! Hang in there and good luck to you all! <3 Have a great day!! :smiley:
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Welcome @lmanes1 and thank you for sharing your story. Congratulations on all you've achieved so far, that's a fantastic achievement!

@Karla it really is exciting to see how popular we are isn't it? (Or how chatty, but I think it's popular ;)) I'm so sorry for your dog's health, that's a bit of a challenge, but we love our dogs that's for sure. Very happy to hear that you've dropped 5 pounds, or more. Thank goodness for that! <3 I think when we go out for the day we will hit some areas that are back in phone contact. I'll try to log in and do a 'fast add calories' to keep my diary logging days counting at least, but will take time off from the thread to keep the week as time for just David and myself, as we would if we'd gone overseas for our holiday.
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Glad to see we have so many new ladies on board. This is indeed the "best" thread as most everyone here is helpful and so very supportive.

Congrats to everyone with losses and even to those of you with no losses but the commitment to carry on until there is one.

Ms May, so sorry for your issues with MIL & FIL. I hope you/your family find some way to safely handle it all.

I've been lurking, reading, but not posting. I always try to stay positive about things and look for blessings in all situations but I've hit one recently I just cannot find the blessing in. They say time heals all things but I know, in this case, it's not true. But I also know that in time I will figure out a way to breathe past it.

Hope all of you Americans enjoy your Independence Day weekend and all of the rest of you enjoy your holidays of choice. Take care ladies.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Oh Rebecca :( I know how positive you always are and for something to have beaten you... I'm so very sorry. If you need an ear, I'm only a private message away. Failing that, please know our hearts are with you, trying to lift you from the mire <3 Hope you can 'get there' soon <3
  • FaithMathias
    Options
    A great day, look like my belly is getting flat again. I did not work out today and I do not count home whole walking or library walking. I did not get all my water in today due to some life stressors but the good thing is I yell and scream but did not feed the emotion like I normally do. So hooray to me I am not emotional eating if I need to yell I yell , If I need to scream I scream , if I need to cry I cry and that is that. I am going for a walk in the a.m. and I am trying to start every day off positive no matter the stress around me. I am going to walk and release positive energy into the universe. I will make sure to take on only what is mine, I will not stress on things that surround me. I am going to take care of me and live for me.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »

BTW can anyone apart from Janice guess why I used the profile pic I have??? :);)

Ummm, I'm guessing most of us are actually past the cougar stage, we are sabre tooth tigers past 50... cougars are under 50, ;);):*

• Sk8Kate
    Options
    Just got back from marathon shopping day. I did blood work before I left, but Dr never ordered fasting glucose tests, not sure why, but everything else. Can't wait to compare to tests in April. Weight this morning was down but had a few more carbs today so we'll see what tomorrow brings. Because I didn't log on in time my streak got cancelled (dammit). I know I was at 70 something so that sucks. It's now 1:30 am & finding it tough to wind down from shopping, visiting my mum, & 3 hr long drive home. (& maybe too much coffee to stay awake on drive).
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Haha, @Sk8Kate, you & me both.... late to the party, lol.