Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate, especially in the form of my from-scratch dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate buttercream frosting--which I haven't made in 2 years. I'd probably be in trouble if that were on my counter right now, esp. in my current frame of mind. But what I mostly miss are salty crunchy things. Like Cheetos and Fritos. Pork skins don't really compare, even with mind games. (But lest you suspect I cheat with the chips, I don't. I really do stick to approved LCHF foods.)
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Just scanning the posts while grabbing a coffee...will catch up later bit. ..Ellen have you looked on pinterest..I have seen several recipes for low Carb crispy salty things!
    As to chocolate,lol, I just walk into our production room...as soon as you open the door you are enveloped in the smell! Good job LCHF gets rid of the desire!!!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Aaah @deksgrl thank you - I have heard that word before and I think you're right.

@Kitn oh wow, that sounds *beautiful*. I've never seen anything like that here. I was bought some T2 brand green tea with mango and sunflower petals for Mothers Day and it's the first time I've ever like green tea. It's so nice. I know yours isn't green, but herbal.

@Ellen I do occasionally have a square of 72% dark chocolate. I really enjoy it but make sure it's not daily because I could get addicted to that. Your cake sounds amazing. And yes, crispy, salty... I miss those quite badly at times too. My favourites were sweet chili potato chips. I shudder to think what was in those now ;) I haven't tried these, but it sounds good! peaceloveandlowcarb.com/2011/07/low-carb-nachos.html

@Jane oh gosh LOL
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    GMO ---Salivating over those low carb nachos. I'm not kidding. They look sooooo good!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    @Jane you need to bottle that aroma & send us some.
    @granny may thanks for the plant name. I'll add it to my list to look up.
    @kitn where do you buy the tea?
    I never even liked chocolate til I turned 40. Now (51) I have a raging sweet tooth.
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Hi all, back again! Lol.
    Hope you are all doing ok. What a mixed bag it is to read everything...ups and downs and yet what shines through is how everyone is so happy for each other when the positives are shared like closet shopping and clear results and even.....weight loss!!! Lol. But we are the most empathetic and supportive bunch of ladies I have ever come across when one of us is feeling a bit down or the scales/tape measure has stuck. What a blessing you all are! Thank you.

I am totally intrigued by the chocolate smelling plants! Amazing! As for the tea...sound lovely, I have to say chocolate orange is my favourite....bet I cant get that brand here! Hehehe, I had to tell hubby NOT to do a choc orange filling or I might be in trouble!!!

@May....will you please adopt me so we can do those kind of things???? B) My idea of fun! I used to do that kind of thing with the kids. I once sent Chris to school covered in green food colouring and ripped clothes..he wanted to go as the incredible Hulk...trouble is he was and still is white blonde!! Lol, didnt look right somehow.

I have read several posts about our post menopausal tummies, I hate mine for sure but I know mine is partially caused by my testosterone injections but even I noticed it increase post menopause. Im happy to say mine has gone down by 2 1/2 inches but so has my bust so although my side view is improved I still look pregnant or, shock/horror, old! ;) I have read loads about it and just keep coming up against it being caused by cortisol. My question is...why? Cortisol is released due to stress etc but why should that be more at this age. I understand the loss of estrogen means our fat is redistributed but why cortisol??? Frustrating isnt it,lol. And why is it so hard to get rid of? The only thing I have found that seems to possibly help is rhodiola. I actually found some here so am trying it! Anyone got any other suggestions???

Last week I thought I had struck gold when I found a beef stock powder that has 'No added MSG' on the label. Earlier I had a mug and....instant headache and muscle aches. Im sure the palpitations and fatigue is only a short while away. This is my usual reaction as I am very sensitive. I just did a search about MSG alternative names and came across this...
    http://lifespa.com/sneaky-names-for-msg-check-your-labels/
    Included in the article is this....

This flavor enhancer is linked to a host of health issues, including fibromyalgia (1), obesity (2), fatty liver (3), high insulin and blood sugar (3), high cholesterol (3), liver toxicity (3), metabolic syndrome (4), high blood pressure, disturbance to the gut-brain connection (5), neurological and brain damage (6).

OMG!!! This is what so many of us trying this WOE have been suffering. I didnt realise how widespread the use of it in various forms is!!! Can any of you relate to this and make any connection??? Be interesting to hear!

I have realised I'm in a stall as its nearly 2 weeks since I was at my lowest(for 1 day,lol). Just have to hang in there while my body adjusts. Dont know what its up to but I have had a couple of real negative days, happy enough but just a feeling inside of being down. Anyone else get these? On the upside Chris will be here this weekend for a couple of days. He works in Computer Security and is an ethical hacker so travels abroad a lot testing systems for banks and big corporations etc. This week he's in South Africa and next week Saudi so mum gets him for the weekend....to feed him and do his washing!!!!! Of course! What are mums for,lolol. At least Andy, my other son is a chef so I dont have to feed him!!!
    Lots of love and hugs to you all. Stick with us and look forward to hearing from you all!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »

I have read several posts about our post menopausal tummies, I hate mine for sure but I know mine is partially caused by my testosterone injections but even I noticed it increase post menopause. Im happy to say mine has gone down by 2 1/2 inches but so has my bust so although my side view is improved I still look pregnant or, shock/horror, old! ;) I have read loads about it and just keep coming up against it being caused by cortisol. My question is...why? Cortisol is released due to stress etc but why should that be more at this age. I understand the loss of estrogen means our fat is redistributed but why cortisol??? Frustrating isnt it,lol. And why is it so hard to get rid of? The only thing I have found that seems to possibly help is rhodiola. I actually found some here so am trying it! Anyone got any other suggestions???

The drop in estrogen and resulting hormonal imbalances causes excess Cortisol.

• jumanajane
    Options
    Hmmmm I can't imagine that is still the case after 6 years since LMP. I cant help but feel there ust be something else going on. ☺
  • deksgrl
    Options
    But your estrogen is never restored (unless you take hormone replacement therapies). So your hormones are never balanced again to pre-menopausal levels and cortisol takes over. I know that it takes a lot less to stress me out now, things I used to handle with ease before will rattle me now.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    @Kate I buy the tea at Superstore in the organic / natural foods section. It was on sale for $3.50 ea if you bought 2, so I did. It's yummy.

Not a bad day today at work. I had been dreading going in, as it's always busy after a long weekend. I schedule the nursing staff at a 218 bed long term care facility, and I am the only one who does my job, and no replacements for my days off, so work piles up for me. Out of 200 nurses, health care aides, rehab aides and nurse managers, I schedule 80 people daily. I actually have stress if I have an extra day off, worrying about how I will catch up. I also order all non-pharmaceutical nursing supplies, which I did today and enter all pay codes. So there was a lot to do, and add in there an almost 2 hour long admin meeting. The bully at work ignored me completely, so it was OK.

I find it amazing to be able to come here and share my joys and sorrows. I was worrying so much about meeting that bully again that I couldn't sleep last night, maybe got 4 hours or so. But I survived the day unscathed. So that should teach me to calm down and stop worrying so much, as it doesn't do me any good.

And the snow is gone and the sun is out, and I am free until tomorrow ! I did however have fun wearing my size 14 blouse today at work. It's so funny and so much fun at the same time. I mentioned this on May's page already, but I'll say it again for everyone. I know that since April 1, I am only down 1 measly pound, but my co-workers think I've lost more. Even our OT thought I had lost more and commented that he thinks my body structure has changed and he can see more muscle definition ....lol....but he doesn't know that I have not been exercising apart from walking almost every day for a few minutes. It is totally due to this woe. Although we know we all want more weightloss more rapidly, this has been the easiest way for me to lose weight in my life ! I enjoy what I eat, I don't feel deprived, and my clothes are practically falling off me ! If this keeps up, I may not care what the number says on the scale as much. I feel good and I will keep going, and one day I will lose more weight.

Good luck and happy day to all.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Kitnthecat, what an awesome attitude!! This woe produces NSVs that I've never been able to achieve with any other diet before! My mil asked how much more I had lost and was surprised when I said one pound. Said it looks like I've lost a lot more. I can actually see it, which is New for me! In the past I've always seen the big girl in the mirror, no matter how much I lost. Am so loving it!

My crazy month carries on! We leave Wednesday afternoon for two nights. Will be watching my son, Landon, graduate from High school Thursday evening. Won't return home until after his college orientation on Friday. That will be many meals eaten out, but at least there are lots of options!

I have also grown to look forward to seeing what's going on with all of you. To be part of such a supportive group of ladies means the world to me! Hugs to everyone!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Hugging you all right back ! I sure wished I had some of you ladies over at my place tonight to help me eat my steak soup. It tasted even better today, but I have a lot left over. Good night....or good morning.
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    @karlottap have fun with your festivities. Grad is such an emotional roller coaster.
    @Kitnthecat your soup looks awesome would've loved to share it with you. Bullies are such a pain. I'm sorry you're losing sleep over it.
    This menopause crap sure wreaks havoc with our systems. Every time you turn around something new pops up (or out).
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Sk8Kate, lol!
    @Kitnthecat, the soup sounds good! Would have loved to share some too!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    @Sk8Kate Ha. And the havoc lasts forever, I think! Though I have noticed that my hot flashes are much, much less on LCHF.

@Kitnthecat Seems like soup always tastes better the second day when the flavors have melded more. Wish we could have shared it, too! Glad your day at work was better than expected. It sounds like you have an enormous amount of responsibility at your job and you do it well.

@GrannyMayOz If you read this, please know that we're thinking of you and wish you and David all the best for his surgery and recovery. Take care! <3
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    @Karlottap Forgot to say--Enjoy your son's graduation and all the celebrations! Such a momentous time and transition. The best to him and you!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Hahaha, I was just writing a note and instead of "later" I wrote "tater". Freudian slip of the pen? I'm definitely not missing them, so what's up with that?
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    @wheatlessgirl66 I wonder how come there's not more cases of pneumonia in menopausal women. Sticking our heads in the freezer, standing on the deck @ -45c, etc. & car designers must be men- the fans are not in the right place when you're driving.
    @GrannyMayOz wishing David best in surgery & quick healthy recovery.
    @dksgrl my hormone levels have been off even premenopausal. Now with breast biopsies they won't put me on the estrogen patch. So I'm going to be cranky, hot, & really moody forever I guess. (Poor family,lol).
  • jumanajane
    Options
    I have been doing some in depth reading of studies about the cortisol effects and hormones. Seems using an adaptogen such as Rhodiola is a good idea to help dampen the cortisol and thus help all the symptoms. I'm a few days in to taking it so......watch this space.
    Had a crappy day and eaten too much thanks to blooming suppliers making me eat new fillings which, weirdly, have made me hungry all evening! Even though I had a good dinner! Strange!
    @Kate...agree with you about the AC always pointing in the wrong direction...esp in Fords!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    A while back someone posted a link about cortisol and rhodiola. I thought I bookmarked it, but I can't find it. Anyone remember it? The woman who wrote it had scientific credentials + personal experience, and it was a great article. @jumanajane I hope the rhodiola is helpful. So far it doesn't seem to have scary side effects.

Sure doesn't take many extra carbs to ramp up our carb juices again. As of today I'm cutting out nuts b/c they were calling my name too often.