Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• a_manda
    a_manda Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just getting started with this program again. I really want to finish this time around and not get caught up in mental roadblocks. Finished week 1 today and feeling pretty great. It is usually around week 4 that I chicken out.

What do you all do on "rest" days from C25k? I have just been walking as I don't belong to a gym and have no equipment at home.
  • MusicalMelanie11
    MusicalMelanie11 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just finished W6D3 and couldn't wait to post! :smiley:
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    a_manda wrote: »
    Just getting started with this program again. I really want to finish this time around and not get caught up in mental roadblocks. Finished week 1 today and feeling pretty great. It is usually around week 4 that I chicken out.

What do you all do on "rest" days from C25k? I have just been walking as I don't belong to a gym and have no equipment at home.
    I swim once a week and do strength training twice (not too strenuous).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

ran a mile, or use a week 1 workout.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Walking, swimming or bodyweight resistance training.

Take a look at You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning.

Nowadays I cycle a lot as well, which is very complementary to running.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Cycling, swimming, walking, or whatever makes you happy!

(I cycle or do weights at the gym on days I'm not running.)
  • JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am new here in this group. Glad I have found you guys.
    Yesterday I did W4D2. Anyone who is on the same week as me, feel free to add me.
    Enjoy the weekend and happy running!
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    One more day of c25k for me! Super excited about the 5k I signed up for in 3 weeks.

As a reward and to keep me motivated, I am planning to get proper running shoes at the specialty store. Wahoo!

For those of you feeling discouraged, this was my second attempt at c25k and it took me more than 9 weeks to get through it. But I kept coming back to this board and it has helped me tremendously.
  • rebeccatherine
    rebeccatherine Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Finished week 4. Today's run was hard, I had a couple mental blocks I had to push through. My pace was super slow, but I finished so it totally counts as a victory.
    I did this morning's run after not eating since dinner last night, so I'm thinking that also had a lot to do with it. I've been used to evening runs around 3 hours after dinner, so my body is used to all that fuel. I'm going to try a light breakfast before my next weekend morning run and see if I feel better.
  • JasmijnRF
    Options
    JSC145 wrote: »
    One more day of c25k for me! Super excited about the 5k I signed up for in 3 weeks.
    As a reward and to keep me motivated, I am planning to get proper running shoes at the specialty store. Wahoo!
    For those of you feeling discouraged, this was my second attempt at c25k and it took me more than 9 weeks to get through it. But I kept coming back to this board and it has helped me tremendously.

Congrats! And good shoes really make a difference.

Finished week 4. Today's run was hard, I had a couple mental blocks I had to push through. My pace was super slow, but I finished so it totally counts as a victory.
    I did this morning's run after not eating since dinner last night, so I'm thinking that also had a lot to do with it. I've been used to evening runs around 3 hours after dinner, so my body is used to all that fuel. I'm going to try a light breakfast before my next weekend morning run and see if I feel better.

I do have a light breakfast as well. I tried running on empty last week, but it is not always working for me.
    I just had breakfast and will be doing last day of week 4 in a minute.
    Congrats on surviving. Sometimes it is hard. Good job!

• cazbit
    cazbit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 2 complete. Also signed myself up for a 5k in October so really looking forward to that and it's gave me some much needed focus cc

You are all doing fantastic!
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    W5d1! Whoda think I would be able to run one mile, much less three. Admittedly I have to map it out longer then the run times placed for the app. But I still did it!
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just posted this under graduation announcements but thought I'd share it here. Thank you. Thank you to everyone here for your support.

Well, folks... I GRADUATED today!! It wasn't pretty and because of the insane humidity, I don't think I've ever sweat that much before. But I was determined to finish today... AND when I saw that at the end of 35 min, I was at 2.7miles, I kept going and hit 3 miles.... no joke, journey's don't stop believin' starting playing at the end there and I got a little choked up... but that's OK because the sweat dripping down my face hid the tears.
  • JasmijnRF
    Options
    Congratulations, JSC145! What an accomplishment.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Well done @JSC145 Congratulations!
  • a_manda
    a_manda Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just finished W2D1 and feeling pretty good about it. I am having a bit of pain on the outsides of both my shins... anyone have any suggestions as to how to minimize this? I am looking into purchasing running shoes hopefully sometime this week so if anyone has tips to breaking in new running shoes that would be helpful too.

Thanks!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @a_manda you should never have to break in running shoes. They should feel fab from the getgo. Re shin splints, assuming you are following C25k it is unlikely that you are suffering from overuse, so without seeing you, I would suspect shoes or overstriding. Shoes you are being fitted for, so while you are with them get them to look at your running style. To correct overstriding you need to take more frequent shorter steps, try to land with your foot under your body rather than in front of it. It is hard but I hope it all goes well for you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    went for a jog this morning.
    feet hurt too much from doing 10k steps in less than five hours in heals, in renaissance garb, in 80f full sun. it was fun but took a toll on my feet. I hope to do w4d2 tomorrow, or at least one of the week 1 days
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just finished w5d1 this morning. Was surprisingly not hard... But I'm running pretty slowly. It's interesting how difficult one day is versus another.
  • Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    After a week off (3 days camping with my girl scout troop and 4 days not feeling well) I got back to it. W6D1 is complete.
    @JSC145 Woohoo! Great job!