Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just did W3D2 had to run in an unfamiliar town by Street light. I surprised a skunk rooting around in someone's garbage, but luckily it held it's fire.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    W5D1 Done... I did well for the first two 5 min sections but the last one was really difficult. I can't go any slower, as it is I feel like I walk faster than I am jogging. I will just keeping trying day by day and do what I can.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Finished W4D3, will begin W5 on Monday.......
  • oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Epic fail today! I was waiting for someone to call me back regarding a prospective job opportunity- it ruined my window of time to work out today! Will have to do W8D1 next Tues- that should be a blast after not working out for a week!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Week 3 day 3 done today.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    W5D1 Done... I did well for the first two 5 min sections but the last one was really difficult. I can't go any slower, as it is I feel like I walk faster than I am jogging. I will just keeping trying day by day and do what I can.

Good work. Keep it up!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Keep going you will all be amazed at what you can do. 12 weeks ago I did not run, yesterday I did 12.5km, clocking a 10k in 1hr11m. You can do this too if you follow the c25k and then progress. Enjoy the experience and have fun, enjoy your journey.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 7 day 1 of #C25K with @c25kfree!
    #everymomentcounts #run #running #health #fitness

This put me at right about 2.75 miles, but I was GOING to do the whole 5k, so I stuck that treadmill on an incline and alternated walk/running until 3.1. Took me 36.15 to do it, but it's DONE!

And hopefully, this negates the fact that while camping, if it wasn't nailed down, I ate it. LOL
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Week7 Day 3

great morning, Sun out and just went. Not a great time but did 5km in 41.30 I can now jog 40mins straight.

So 7 weeks ago I was 94kg and today im still 94kg but I have gone down a jean size.so something is working. Going to get off the scales as its to hard with the mind games that go with it...

Im a jogger and loving it......

This is about me being healthy and happy not skinny......
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Ladies, well done both of you on your 5k runs. Fantastic news.

The scale is a mistress, I weigh daily so I know what daily variation there is, if it helps I put weight on and dropped an inch of my waist and gained an inch on my chest and did no weights. Figure that out!! I suspect I can't use a tape measure. So well done on maintaining weight and dropping a jean size.

Life is also about enjoying and living it. You can eat everything that is not nailed down, just don't do it everyday and don't institutionalize it. These journeys are not meant as a penance, for previous wrong doing. You need to enjoy life and lead it as you want. You now recognise the issues, as most of us do, we need to be accountable to ourselves for the choices we make. Have fun, don't sweat it. I trued out exercising a poor diet for 25 years, I never made it stick. I now feel after 6 months I have a blueprint that I can stick to and will work for ME.

Good luck on your journeys.
  • DesertStar86
    DesertStar86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    W7D3 finally done. Has taken about 3 attempts... Week 7 has been a real struggle for me. I was going as slow as I could today (7:53 min per km) and I couldn't have gone a minute longer. I think the route I run is possibly too challenging (hilly), but don't have many alternatives so will persevere! I'll try the running track for w8d1 but I get really bored going in such a small circle. Not sure where I'm gonna pull another 3 minutes from - I really can't go any slower.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Competed W5D1 again... this time I did it on the treadmill. The weather is incredibly humid and I figured I would try out the treadmill, and since I had never used this for running before I would redo a day instead of charging ahead (I also had a REALLY hard time with the runs last time). I was running at 4 mph... does this seem too slow to you guys? Have any of you noticed different muscles being used on a treadmill vs outside? Tonight after my run I noticed side of my gluteus maximus muscles being sore like I have over worked them a bit... I have NEVER had this when running outside. I was running with the treadmill at a 1% incline as I have read that this is comparable to road running. Thanks!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I did week 4 day 1 this morning while visiting relatives. Discovered a great area for running near the in-laws.
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wk8 day1

To windy to jog out side. I did the treadmil instead. I didnt not enjoy that one bit. Watching numbers slowly is horrible... Looking forward to my next jog and no wind. I enjoy the outside much more.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    Options
    Just finished week 7 day 3 of #C25K with @c25kfree!

#everymomentcounts #run #running #health #fitness

Got a longer nap after work, did it today in 34:32. Sped up a little too, but man, I HURT!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    Options
    Competed W5D1 again... this time I did it on the treadmill. The weather is incredibly humid and I figured I would try out the treadmill, and since I had never used this for running before I would redo a day instead of charging ahead (I also had a REALLY hard time with the runs last time). I was running at 4 mph... does this seem too slow to you guys? Have any of you noticed different muscles being used on a treadmill vs outside? Tonight after my run I noticed side of my gluteus maximus muscles being sore like I have over worked them a bit... I have NEVER had this when running outside. I was running with the treadmill at a 1% incline as I have read that this is comparable to road running. Thanks!

I simply cannot run outside. I can do the whole 5k on a treadmill, but about a minute and a half outside. Most peeps told me that the treadmill is a LOT easier, and that running outside is a game changer. I sure wish outside were easier, I'd be there in a heartbeat!!

Also, I warm up/walk at 3.7 and run at 6.0 mph. I am REALLY tall though :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I was going as slow as I could today (7:53 min per km) and I couldn't have gone a minute longer. I think the route I run is possibly too challenging (hilly), but don't have many alternatives so will persevere!

That's the pace that I'd anticipate for a newbie trail runner, so I wouldn't worry too much about pace. That said you do have a big environmental chalenge, with respect to temperature. That said I foud running in the Gulf states, admittedly a long time ago, more manageable as the air was quite dry.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Have any of you noticed different muscles being used on a treadmill vs outside? Tonight after my run I noticed side of my gluteus maximus muscles being sore like I have over worked them a bit... I have NEVER had this when running outside. I was running with the treadmill at a 1% incline as I have read that this is comparable to road running. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about your pace, the main thing you need to worry about is running for 30 minutes by the end of the plan. At that point you can really think about improving your pace. I went for fast finishes when I was doing C25K, and still do that as part of my half marathon training.

As far as dreadmills changing yourgait, yes they do. That said, changing gait is part of more advanced training. Personally I loathe the dreadmill, as it's incredibly boring. I get gait change through different types of session; sprint intervals, hills and cross training on the road bike develop the glutes and quads, where longer steady state works the hams.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ...... run at 6.0 mph. I am REALLY tall though :)

That'll be your problem with outside running, I'm 6ft1 and my easy pace is a 6 minute kilometre, so if you're doing that in C25K you could afford to slow down.

I'm not sure I'd say that a dreadmill is easier than outside, the way it forces me to change my gait makes it much more difficult to run in a relaxed manner, I feel hunched and stiff in a way that I don't when I'm on the trail.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So I've been slacking off the last few weeks. I went out for my graduation run and whammo. I hit the wall 20 minutes in and that was all she wrote. I had to walk the rest of the way home. I had been doing quite well with the runs. I had to give it my all for the runs leading up to this one but I was very disappointed with this result. My muscles have been very sore also. I think I need a better stretching routine for after my runs. Sad runner today... :frown: