Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Joined my local gym and went swimming today and last 3 days. Did a mile in about an hour each day. Starting to feel faster in the water. Overtook a guy in the fast lane today! :-D
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    26 minutes closed fist breast stroke, 36 minutes front crawl ...felt a little queasy during the swim tonight
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 mile wake up call :)
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Got changed stretched, walked over to the pool, only for lifeguard to tell me I couldn't swim as they'd just put in some chemicals a few minutes before!
    Irritating.
    So went and sat in steam room for a good while - usually never have time for those.
    Now I feel rested and light, but weak - that heat!
    So I guess today goes down as a rest day! Which is probably for the best - shoulders have been feeling sore today!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Joined my local gym and went swimming today and last 3 days. Did a mile in about an hour each day. Starting to feel faster in the water. Overtook a guy in the fast lane today! :-D

Welcome back to swimming bccp!!! :smile:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    3000 yards in 90 minutes. 2000 freestyle, 500 kick, 500 back/breast
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    20 minutes backstroke kickboard, 41 minutes breast stroke pull buoy
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    First Swim in about a week.
    60 minutes. 1000m free, 250m breast, 250m kick drills.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Well, this pales in comparison, but I'm going to post it because frankly, you guys are so supportive of swimmers, no matter where we are...

First, Stephen, THANK YOU for the recollection about someone telling you to "rest" when you take a breath. It slowed my stroke rate down and I swam 500y, continuously. Can you believe it?? The most I have swum before, was 125, and I was able to slow my stroke rate and relax so that I could just keep swimming!

And to those of you who have encouraged me, and given me tips to learn bilateral breathing (yay!!), thank you too! There are many people IRL and here who have nudged me along. I am at my 11-month mark learning to swim and to be honest, I haven't been feeling it lately. I'm feeling it now! I'm hopeful that I can incorporate working on technique, MsJ's workout, and "just swimming" into my next year.

Thanks folks!!
    ~Curly :heart:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 mile wake up :)
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I skipped this morning. Wasn't even feeling it last night when I would normally pack my bag for the gym and that's usually a good sign to take the day off.

Curly - good for you! From 125 yds to 500 continuous? What a huge difference.

I love the support this group gives too. I might have bailed on MFP a few months ago if not for this bunch. You are where I was shortly after starting swimming 10-ish years ago. People at the Y giving some me tips on how fins could help even out the awful kick I had. Others just noticing that I swam a bit further or that they missed me when I was out. Our morning lifeguard joking when I was learning bilateral breathing (only three summers ago) that he would save me from drowning as long as I stayed in the lane nearest to the wall so he wouldn't have to get too wet. It all helps you keep going.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Way to go Curly! It's great the first time you can swim a long distance!

Yesterday morning was open water practice. We were doing a lot of technique work, which was great. Not sure on distance, about 75 minutes.

Today I planned to swim 3km in ladder sets (100, 200, 300 etc). At the halfway mark I started to feel nauseous. (Stress related) Quit at 2350, but I'm pleased with how well my stroke held up for the first 2k.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, you guys! I jumped in this morning at my daughter's swim practice. Got about 35 min in. I was tired! Swimming continuously is tiring, and after class last night, the fitness instructor told us that we are half way through her summer program and she's upping the cardio and making us work harder. My arms were sore. It all feels good though. And my 12 year old has her last meet of the summer tomorrow and she signed up for 4 events!! I have asked her to challenge herself at each meet (one event she might otherwise avoid, or maybe she thought about doing something, but she's feeling unsure). She chose the 50 butterfly! I thought she'd pick the IM, but she's going for it. I almost didn't swim this morning, but I thought that if I'm asking her to challenge herself, I'd better get my butt in the pool in spite of fatigue... ;)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Shin splints have me back in the pool, at least until it closes for renovations. I'm very very out of swim shape for me.

2000y total. Needed an extra forty seconds to make a full mile--30:42. Fifty (40y) easy and then two sort of 100 IMs. I had to rest after fly on the second one, and I wasn't winning any prizes for form.

I'm very out of shape.

But my swimsuit is cute.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2250 yards in 65 minutes: 500 kickboard 1750 mixed free/back/breast
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I DID A MILE TODAY!

Granted, I had to do it in quarter mile segments with a short rest (about 2 minutes) between each, but still.

I DID A MILE!
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    First, Stephen, THANK YOU for the recollection about someone telling you to "rest" when you take a breath. It slowed my stroke rate down and I swam 500y, continuously.

I couldn't do bilateral breathing when I first started posting to this forum either ...so just passing on the encouragement i've gotten from others. That particular piece of advice was the most useful to me, when I first started working on it I just felt overwhelmed. Trying to get my body to rotate the right amount, breathe all the way out while facing down, then tilt my head just so, and somehow catch a breathe without swallowing the pool, and the water is splashing about because I'm starting the next stroke, and all in just a fraction of a second. And the whole fear of drowning thing is fairly primal. But someone said to consider the 'breathe' to be a pause between strokes instead of a part of the stroke. Then you only have to think about breathing ...you can get yourself into position where you can get a good lungful, take as the time you need, then start the next stroke. Once you do that for a while the lizard brain gets used to it and stops panicking that you are trying to drown yourself. And your develop muscle memory for coordinating the actions ...and that 'pause' gets shorter and shorter ...until whaddya know breathing has become a natural part of the stroke ...
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    I DID A MILE TODAY!

Granted, I had to do it in quarter mile segments with a short rest (about 2 minutes) between each, but still.

I DID A MILE!

I totally remember the first time I did a mile ...i was so stoked ...congrats!
    I'm very very out of swim shape for me.

2000y total. Needed an extra forty seconds to make a full mile--30:42. Fifty (40y) easy and then two sort of 100 IMs. I had to rest after fly on the second one, and I wasn't winning any prizes for form.

I'm very out of shape.

But my swimsuit is cute.

I'm exceedingly jealous ...i think I might want to be you when i grow up. I have a vague ambition of maybe someday doing a triathalon. but I have to very nearly double my swim speed before I can even think about it.

13 minutes of closed fist front crawl, 48 minutes of backstroke ....
    tomorrow is a drylander workout day ...or as I'm coming to think of them 'remember how much you love the pool' workout days ....possibly one of those side-to-side elliptical machines ...
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm very very out of swim shape for me.

I'm very out of shape.

But my swimsuit is cute.

I'm exceedingly jealous ...i think I might want to be you when i grow up. I have a vague ambition of maybe someday doing a triathalon. but I have to very nearly double my swim speed before I can even think about it.

Well see, this plan is never going to work, because *my* life plan is to never grow up. o:)

In all seriousness, though--technique, technique, technique. I swam competitively in junior/high school, so my strokes are pretty nice even if the upper body strength is not there at ALL. It takes very little effort for me to move through the water if I'm not trying for faster turnover or whatnot. If you can arrange to take a couple private lessons, it might help tremendously.

As for triathlons--have you looked into anything that your local YMCA or equivalent offers? A lot of times they do a mini-tri. Ours is a 200y swim in the pool, 8 mile bike and 2 mile run/walk. The winter version even uses stationary bikes! No time limits, no pressure, no SEAWEED, all fun!
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    cheshire, that sounds right up my alley. I was just telling H last night that I have no desire to do an open water swim but that if I want to do any kind of race or tri, it seems like that's the only option. I need to check and see if there's anything like that near us.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    Options
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    cheshire, that sounds right up my alley. I was just telling H last night that I have no desire to do an open water swim but that if I want to do any kind of race or tri, it seems like that's the only option. I need to check and see if there's anything like that near us.

It looks like some of these are in pools! (They tend to be annual events, so check to see if the winter/spring ones are happening next year, too):
    http://www.trifind.com/gs_beginner/BeginnerTriathlons.html?state=OR