Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I so did not want to swim today. And then I was just going to do a quick workout. And then it turned into a mile. Is it safe to say I'm hooked?

1/3 mile
    3:30 rest
    1/3 mile
    1/3 mile

All freestyle, nonstop within the set. Total time in the water - 50 minutes. Active swimming time - 43 minutes.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2500 yards in 70 minutes. 500 kick, 20000 mixed free back breast
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    I so did not want to swim today. And then I was just going to do a quick workout. And then it turned into a mile. Is it safe to say I'm hooked?

1/3 mile
    1/3 mile
    1/3 mile

All freestyle, nonstop within the set. Total time in the water - 50 minutes. Active swimming time - 43 minutes.

I've had that happen so often. I don't want to go. I tell myself I'm gonna swim for 10 minutes, whether I want to or not. An hour later, I don't want to get out.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Haven't been in the water for a few days. Stumbled on this article in the Triatholon group and thought it would be interesting for some people.
    http://www.finalsurge.com/blog/article/why-we-train-swim-different
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2400SCM
    Masters

First swim in two weeks during which I discovered I have completely lost all ability to pace lol.

400 warmup as
    100 swim 100 kick 100 pull 100 swim

8x75 free on 1.30

4x100 IM 10s rest

2 sets of
    4x50 free 90% effort with 10s rest
    2x25 free easy
    4x50 IM 90% effort 10s rest
    (The 50s IM were 12.5m each stroke)

100 easy
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    All of our talk of mile swims lately got it into my head that I should swim one so after a quick warm up, I swam a mile. 43:38. I have trouble keeping up a steady pace for that long. My split times at 550 and 1,100 yds were 14:15 and 29:00.

I'm out of the pool until next Wednesday for some traveling. :smile: Next week I also start working with a personal trainer that I met with last night. We talked quite a bit about making sure my shoulders were strong enough to stave off some of the repetitive motion injuries that swimmers are prone to. He called it "prehab", which I thought was a good way to look at it. Not that I am putting in the mileage that some of you are doing, but I would like to swim until I die. I'm also looking forward to a more focused dry-land workout plan.

Laura - Definitely hooked!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 mile wake up call :)
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Haven't been in the water for a few days. Stumbled on this article in the Triatholon group and thought it would be interesting for some people.
    http://www.finalsurge.com/blog/article/why-we-train-swim-different

Very interesting article! I have tried to explain this to triathletes that are not originally swimmers.
  • fishgutzy
    Options

Very interesting article! I have tried to explain this to triathletes that are not originally swimmers.
    I'm the 2000 yard guy :)
    But I find that my pace doesn't slow much at all, when I'm focused and I count strokes. When my stroke count goes +1 I know I lost focus on that length.
    Today I was able to extend myself more and kept my average strokes per length under 20. Even had some 18's in there :) Not bad consider 6 months ago I was a consistent 24.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

I'm the 2000 yard guy :)
    But I find that my pace doesn't slow much at all, when I'm focused and I count strokes. When my stroke count goes +1 I know I lost focus on that length.
    Today I was able to extend myself more and kept my average strokes per length under 20. Even had some 18's in there :) Not bad consider 6 months ago I was a consistent 24.

Well I guess it's all relative, given that your usual swim is over 4000, then guess it still holds, sort of. I remember training for a 4.5 mile open water bay swim and I did do interval training but it was sets of 800s rather than 100s or 200s.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I did swim today. 70 lengths. I was a bit slower in the water than usual, due to feeling sore from some extra exercise yesterday so I took it easy. I was surprised to find how easy it was to do 70 lengths within an hour. Previously I used to struggle to do 60 lengths an hour but I guess it gets easier the more often I go :-)
  • fishgutzy
    Options

Well I guess it's all relative, given that your usual swim is over 4000, then guess it still holds, sort of. I remember training for a 4.5 mile open water bay swim and I did do interval training but it was sets of 800s rather than 100s or 200s.

I'm also not training for any event. Just burning stored energy :smiley: )
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2500 yards. 500 kickback + 2000 mixed free, breast, back.

On the interval discussion, I had a master's trainer many years back that more or less agreed with TJ Fry's argument about interval training helping you recover and also keep your stroke mechanics solid. He did have us do ling sets in occasion, but mix up our strokes to get what he called the "microrecovery" that you get from a brief 5 second rest between sets. Based on that, I basically do a 2000 long set of : 150 free 25 breast 25 back 25 breast 25 back-- and repeat that 8x. Then finish off with 500 kickboard for strength training.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Darn Triathlon practise's, 750m in 19:20. 10 km bike ride in 30 minutes. A nasty crosswind/headwind so it was a little slow.
  • justbeachy01
    justbeachy01 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did! I live on an island and we have some amazing swimming spots. I recently came across a hidden gem...a pond with so many rules enforced most people don't go except to exercise. No jumping off the dock, no touching the pond bottom, no loud noises. And I absolutely love it. It's quiet and serene and an awesome spot to swim. I swam the length back and forth which took me about 25 minutes and then just swam around the dock after :) will be going tomorrow too!
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    No swim today, unless you count the pool of sweat I'm currently swimming in. Ugh, it's bloody hot.

The husband's vehicle broke down and won't be repaired until Monday so we're working with just one vehicle. He's taking my truck tomorrow so I think I'm going to have to swim crazy early tomorrow. Otherwise I'll have to ride my bike to the pool and home again...which means I'd probably need to shorten up my swim to accommodate because oy. The hills I'd have to climb on the bike suck on a regular day, I hate to think what it would be like after a normal swim workout.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 mile wake up. Love starting day that way.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I was thwarted in my attempt to swim yesterday (who closes a pool because it's too hot outside?!?!?!) so I made it up today. Still can't get a mile under 30 minutes. So I "punished" myself afterward with the way you get a mile under 30 minutes, that is, faster-paced short intervals. 2500 total (mile + intervals).

Debating whether to join the Y when my (free, university) pool closes next week. It's money...but it's a pool...but it's money...but swimming is good for me...urgh.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Did a mile in the pool. Felt pretty good. No elbow issues, shoulder a little weak but no pain. Nice to see Ms Cheshirecatastrophe paid a visit and some other new faces. Doing a triathlon (Olympic distance, not Ironman) next month.

Thanks for the greeting. Triathlon! That's amazing!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    LauraRae2 wrote: »

1/3 mile
    1/3 mile
    1/3 mile

Yay! I love it when that happens. I have that issue when I run. I tell myself to just get out the door, walk around the block, and I end up skipping the turn, continuing on, and getting a run in. Sometimes you literally just have to jump in!!

Swam 1000y continuous after some warm up. A quick break to grab a sip of water or adjust the goggles, but working on rhythm, body positioning, rotation, etc. Not always the prettiest swimmer in the pool, but working on it!!