ACTIVE AUGUST - Exercise Related August Challenge

Options
toadqueen
toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
Active August

Description:
This is the exercise/movement related challenge. The idea is to try new exercises, routines, and/or change intensity. Exercise choices will be up to each participant. Participants can do a single month-long challenge posting each week or change it up each week. The choice is yours!

Some ideas could include but are not limited to:

A. Start x exercise – new class, apparatus, video (i.e. x= yoga, walking, rebounder, swimming, tennis, aerobic,
strength training, etc)
B. Intensify or advance y (i.e. more frequency, higher reps, change in intensity, change in weights, etc)
C. Modify time of exercise or eating before/after
D. Your ideas!!!

Participant Expectations:
Post in the thread for the challenge you are undertaking at the beginning of you challenge, each week, and a final recap at the end of the month

The thread will be continuous throughout the month

Initial post:
What is your current exercise level/program?
What are the specifics of your challenge for the week/month? (i.e. which item(s) from the suggested list are you adding or modifying)
What are your goals and expectations? (i.e. add variety, tone, lose inches, build muscle mass, improve endurance, jumpstart metabolism, train for marathon, etc. )

Weekly posts:
What did you do/try this week?
Were your goals and expectations met?
What worked or did not work? (i.e. I tried x and y happened, I used x instead of y and it was z, I lost xx inches this week!!!)

Final post:
Let us know how your experiment went overall

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    In! Thanks for kicking this off, @toadqueen!

Mostly walking and running, some body-weight stuff.

What are the specifics of your challenge for the week/month? (i.e. which item(s) from the suggested list are you adding or modifying)

Add some weight lifting and increase difficulty/intensity of body-weight exercises.

What are your goals and expectations?

Big muscles. :)

I may use this MFP spam as a template:
    30-day strength building
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Dear Challengers,

Poking my nose in here for some housecleaning.
    I sticked the first post, August Adventures which briefly outlines the available challenges for this month. Inside I posted links to the respective challenges. Having 3 posts stickied up there is a mess, so I hope you all don't mind. As long as the respective challenge threads are active they'll show in the discussions. And if they get bumped down once the challenge gets underway, challengers will be able to find them quickly in the stickie.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10221691/august-adventures-august-challenge#Item_2

Carry on.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in .... It's just what I need.
    Have been LCHF for almost 6 weeks and have lost 22 lbs, however, I haven't added in any exercise - but have been thinking about doing so.

Initial post:
    What is your current exercise level/program? none
    What are the specifics of your challenge for the week/month? (i.e. which item(s) from the suggested list are you adding or modifying) add in exercise/weights - thinking of joining the local YouFit gym.
    What are your goals and expectations? (i.e. add variety, tone, lose inches, build muscle mass, improve endurance, jumpstart metabolism, train for marathon, etc. ) tone, better muscle tone/strength.

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this for August.

Initial post:
    - Since March, Fast Walk average 2-3 miles every day (HS track, workplace office park, or treadmill) and/or swim laps at my health club. Some weights w/ core work, planks, & squats. Golf game when I can get it in.

- I'm adding Yoga in to my wake up routine. 5am. I'm going to following 30 Days with Adriene on Youtube in addition trying a 4 week a Mindfulness Program.

-My goal is to tone and strengthen my core. Improve flexibility and reduce anxiety and stress.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I started 30 Day Shred about 2 weeks ago. I just moved on to level 2 and am struggling to finish. So my current exercise level could be referred to as "couch."
    Continue with 30 Day Shred and add in yoga - I didn't know about a 30 day yoga YouTube thing so I'm checking that out too.
    What are your goals and expectations? (i.e. add variety, tone, lose inches, build muscle mass, improve endurance, jumpstart metabolism, train for marathon, etc. )
    Yes. All of the above. Ok, not the marathon thing. I would like to lose inches, tone and improve endurance. I would also like to improve focus and reduce anxiety.
  • giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Hi, I'm in ...think this challenge is just what I need.

Mostly walking and cycling. I also take a weekly ballroom class. Just stated back at the gym after a 6 month break, have done a few spinning classes and aquafit sessions.

What are the specifics of your challenge for the week/month?

I want to do at least 5 exercise sessions at the gym each week. To keep me interested I am going to try some new classes. Have booked myself onto a Les Mills Shabam class tomorrow to get me going. Will also be trying Metafit, Body pump and possibly Boxercise.

To add variety and keep me motivated. Main goal is to improve overall fitness and health.

Looking forward to it.

• sapphire24d
    sapphire24d Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
    What is your current exercise level/program? I walk every day at lunch for 30 minutes.
    What are the specifics of your challenge for the week/month? (i.e. which item(s) from the suggested list are you adding or modifying). I just started the C25K program yesterday. This challenge will help me stay on track with the program.
    What are your goals and expectations? (i.e. add variety, tone, lose inches, build muscle mass, improve endurance, jumpstart metabolism, train for marathon, etc. ) My best friend and I are meeting for a girls trip in Hawaii next April. She lives in Japan right now and we have not seen each other for 2 years! We are going to run a half marathon, so I guess I am training for a half marathon! And to look good in a bathing suit!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Whoop! Active August here we come! Count me IN B)

1). What is your current exercise level/program?:

- I only started exercising again about 6 weeks ago. I'd been a couch potato for 3+yrs, since before my son was born, but I finally began easing into exercise again after losing 22 pounds & lots of encouragement from you guys. I worked up to a few DVD workouts here & there (p90x, 21 day fix, jillian michaels etc) but not consistently. However, they opened the door to me starting to lift weights again. Lifting reignited my desire for a muscular, defined figure (rather than heading for skinny-fat territory) so with my goals set I started properly weight-lifting about 1 month ago. Over the past 4 weeks I've worked out my initial lifting program - 3 day split, rest day, repeat ad infinitum - 1 hr of weights 5-6x a week. My progress is better than expected, but I do find it really tough.

2). What are the specifics of your challenge for the month?

- Adhere to a minimum of 5 weights workouts per week.
    - Aim for 6 exercises per workout.
    - 3-5 sets per exercise.
    - Aim to fail at 10-12 reps.
    - Increase weights accordingly.

- Aim to consume 1200 calories daily.
    - Do not eat back exercise calories.
    - Aim for net calories <1000 as often as possible (ie. minimum 200 calorie burn per day).

I leave for my 2 weeks summer vacation in 9 days, so I'm really nervous about keeping the consistency & intensity of my workouts high enough whilst I'm away. I want to continue making progress (fat loss, muscle gain) throughout my holiday but this might turn up tougher than I hope, so I need to at least maintain my weight & body composition during my trip: no falling backwards... So, also:

- Continue lifting weights throughout 2 weeks vacation.
    - Increase activity as much as (and in any way) possible if lifting is compromised during vacay.

3). What are your goals/expectations?

- Lean muscle mass % increase.
    - Body fat % decrease.
    - Body weight decrease (or maintained as long as above points are achieved).
    - Visible change in body composition (firmer, tighter, leaner, muscle growth/definition).
    - Strength/performance improvements.

I may add to my challenges after I get settled in :s .. I'm thinking of a weekly cardio goal, but might be sensible to implement that after vacation.

Good luck everyone.. Let's all get awesomely active! :#:D

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Nothing intentional.

What are the specifics of your challenge?
    More stretching plus I'm going to use wabmester's link as a guide to include some extra exercise.

• Loosen up my back, neck and leg muscles
    • Build muscle and strength particularly in my quads
    • Make it all the way up the hill and back home without stopping.
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What is your current exercise level/program? nothing

What are the specifics of your challenge for the week/month? to track 10000 steps at least once a week (more if able) using my fitbit

What are your goals and expectations?to loose inches and flab.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would really like to do both challenges, but because my doctor has given me so many physical restrictions right now, I am going to really think about if I can find an activity that I can do... I will be trying to figure out something.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sporadic and undisciplined. Not moving enough. Only averaging around 3000 steps a day lately.

What are the specifics of your challenge for the week/month?
    August is going to be full of distractions and time away from home with lots of car time, then end with getting back into school routine with the kids, so my challenge is simply to get more steps and increase my current average. By the end of August, I would like to average 6000 steps a day for the month. Some days will be low but I will work to end each week hitting my average goal and to end the month at 6000+ average daily steps.

My goal is to build exercise into my weekly life more consistently by being more mindful of my activity overall and hopefully progress into the fall with newly formed habits that I can build on.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just joined up with this group and started using MFP again, so this is my first challenge. Here goes!

Already relatively extensive: Strength 3-5 times per week (dedicated strength or strength/cardio classes), cardio 5-7 times per week (step, insanity, running, combo classes)

What are the specifics of your challenge?
    I have two challenges for myself:
    1) Make at least 10,000 steps every single day, as tracked by my FitBit. I already hit this most days, but need to do better at getting steps in on the days when my "actual" exercise is more strength focused.
    2) Increase the distance of my long runs on Sundays from ~5miles currently to ~7 miles (without giving up the hill training aspect of my long runs).

Feel more prepared for my upcoming (but still distant) 15K race in October and generally be more active throughout each day.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    What is your current exercise level/program? Currently doing Yoga 3-5 times a week, plus daily walks.

What are the specifics of your challenge for the week/month? I want to start running again. I'd like to do a fun run/obstacle course type thing in the near future and I'll need to be able to do at least 5k.

What are your goals and expectations? 5k at least once a week... maybe more by the end of the month as I am going out of town and will not be doing Yoga as frequently.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    What is your current exercise level/program? Couch potato. Okay, so really I'm just a super busy mom who also works my tail off at work... but no intentional exercise at present. We just moved, so hopefully I can find space in our new place for exercise.

What are the specifics of your challenge for the week/month? I'm going to do the 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene like @slimzandra, and I'm pretty sure I also agreed to do the Mindfulness thing, although I can't find the link now!

What are your goals and expectations? To move more, reduce stress, and improve flexibility and balance. Nothing quantifiable, really.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    BTW, I also got my 14yo to agree to do the yoga thing with me. :)
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »

Wow! Good for her! I wonder if I can convince mine...
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    Mami1976D wrote: »

Wow! Good for her! I wonder if I can convince mine...

I think it's easier when you're a "weekend parent." She's only here for a month before returning to her father's for the school year (halfway across the country), so she wants to do everything she can with me. If she were here all the time I'm not sure she'd be so amenable. :)
  • htecky76
    htecky76 Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would like to join as well
    1) What is your current exercise level/program?
    I currently am not very active.
    2) What are the specifics of your challenge for the week/month? (i.e. which item(s) from the suggested list are you adding or modifying).
    I just started using the Garmin (today). For the first week I want to make sure I am hitting the goals everyday as well as doing my cardiovascular videos and/or treadmill at least 4x a week.
    3) What are your goals and expectations? (i.e. add variety, tone, lose inches, build muscle mass, improve endurance, jumpstart metabolism, train for marathon, etc)
    I want to build up endurance. In two weeks I would like to be able to add resistance to my cardiovascular routine.

Is this what the challenge is looking for or am I misunderstanding?
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Unintentional. I play with the kids, swim with the kids, etc. Still, nothing regular and nothing intentional.

Do the "Beginner Body Weight Circuit Video" I found online via nerdfitness. I plan to complete the circuit 2-3 times (probably two since I am just starting out) and doing it 2-3 x week. This will be a good place to start for me.

My goals are to lose inches, jumpstart metabolism, tone.
    Expectations = goals and I will need to increase my difficulty for September, because I am rocking it.
    :wink: