Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I signed up for Beginner 5K training plan with Runkeeper. My first day is Sunday. I'm excited to begin. I've done C25K programs on my own before, sometimes reaching 5K, sometimes not. I am able to run/walk pretty far but am interested in challenging myself to pace myself better, and run more and walk less. I had really wanted to join an in person program, but my schedule doesn't work with any local programs. Between the Runkeeper app training plan and checking in here, seems like a wonderful substitute! :)
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    z304 wrote: »
    I'm a c25k beginner... it took 4 weeks of cardio to work up to w1d1 for me.

I did w1d1 last Wednesday, w1d2 (same thing) last Friday, missed Monday and just did w1d3 today (Tuesday). It's doable but I'm struggling with it a fair amount, so I'm thinking I may do two more week 1 runs this week and see if my HR doesn't spike to hell (I'm 29 and my heart rate is going up to 180) after that.

Try running really slowly and focus on breathing in and out deeply and slowly, works for me, breathing and heart rate fine, just my legs hurting!!

Julie
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @JreedyJanelle - Congrats on your first 5k! I also tend to get hip pain and stretching has helped a lot, along with being sure I have a proper warm up.

@rebeccatherine - Congratulations - so close!

I downloaded the 10k app this weekend and started with w9d1 yesterday (that's where they have you start if you've graduated from c25k.) It was a 54 minute workout with 4 intervals of run 10 minutes/walk 1 minute. I did the workout outside and had no problem with it! Being outdoors is so enjoyable especially since I've been on the treadmill so much that I enjoyed every minute of the workout.

I run my first 5k on Wednesday and am looking forward to seeing how I do. I don't have high expectations, I really just want to complete it and have fun doing so

Which 10K app did you choose? I'm. Nowhere close to needing it ... But I'm planning to get there!

Good luck with the 5K. I hope you meet your goal!
  • Slainte831
    Options
    Did W9D3 this morning. Hey, I graduated! The first half of the run was okay, the second half felt like I was running through water. Not my best, but I finished.

Congrats and good luck to everyone else working on their C25K journey! This thread is my favorite thread on MFP, I love coming here and reading everyone's posts at least once a day.

Good for you, Graduate!! Look how far you have come :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    W5D3. Oh. My goodness. 20 minute run. Wow. Did it.
    isn't it amazing?

It has rained all evening and I was tempted to just stay in but No, i put on my raincoat and off i went W4D2

running in the rain is the best. it cools me off and I feel like I can get farther

depending on how I feel I might drop in and sign up for a run tomorrow night downtown-run from the cops. maybe
  • Slainte831
    Options
    On Sunday, I failed to run my w5d1 schedule. In my programme, it is r 3:00, w 3:00, r 5:00, w 5:00, r 8:00. I stopped running 1:30 into the last run. I felt utterly depleted between the heat and several days of eating under my calorie goals.

Tuesday was a scheduled day off, and I went to a restaurant with friends. Ate more than my calories, which I knew I was going to do, and I was fine.

Last night, although still hot, I tried again, and MADE IT!! So proud. Soooo slow. The next run is r 5:00, w 5:00, r 12:00. I am definitely finding the longer runs challenging but will give it a go! And the weather is finally cooperating and cooler.

I feel in a bind -- I want to lose this weight, and have set my weight loss goals for 1 lb a week. So I know that I can lose 2 lbs/week (which is still reasonable; I'm not going crazy) by not eating back all my exercise calories. But if I don't eat enough, I get worn down after a while. Do any of you notice this?
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @Slainte831 - Great job! I'm of the opinion that you need to fuel your workouts. For what it's worth, I have a Fitbit and almost always eat back some portion of my calories and have still been losing consistently. I downloaded the ZenLabs 10k app and it's great - just like c25k.

I didn't end up running the 5k last night. The organizer sent out an e-mail a couple hours before explaining that the route was really "overwhelming" and confusing. I decided to forego running it as it's my first 5k and I didn't want to establish a negative opinion of them based on this single experience.

Instead, I went on a run outside by the water and decided to sign up for a different upcoming race. And my run last night was so hard. I ran with my boyfriend so I think that definitely affected it - even though he slowed down to match my pace, I could still feel myself trying to speed up. We did a 3.4 mile run with one 5(ish)-minute walk break.

I'm going to start doing all my running outside from now on unless my only option is a treadmill. I enjoy running outside much more and even though I can run 30 minutes on the treadmill, it hasn't transitioned to outdoor running as much as I hoped it would. I'll probably redo the last few weeks of c25k outside and then move on to the 10k app.

Sorry for the novel of a post and hope everyone has a great Thursday!
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    W1D2 yippie.
  • Slainte831
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved the *organizer* said the course wasn't ready! Omg! That is too funny! I think you were absolutely right to wait for a different race.

Thanks for the info about the 10K app. I am still a long way from completing the 5K, but I can always dream, right? I just wish I had better patience. I want this extra weight gone NOW, dammit! Lol!

I too find running outside so much more satisfying than using a treadmill. Treadmills bore me to tears and I find I get obsessed with how slowly the clock is moving. It's hard enough to run for 12 min and to watch a clock slowly counting down the minutes is excruciating.

I hope you find a better race!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Just completed W5D3 - my first 20 minute run. I'm shocked I was able, but also believed I could. Woo hoo!!!
  • dedicatedlurker
    dedicatedlurker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Finished W6-3! No cramp this time, so that was good :D

I've hit the point where I get tired my brain starts going "You don't need to finish this. You can stop."

Fortunately I'm stubborn, and I want to do it.
    W6D2 complete

Yay! :)

snha wrote: »
    W5D3. Oh. My goodness. 20 minute run. Wow. Did it.
    Just completed W5D3 - my first 20 minute run. I'm shocked I was able, but also believed I could. Woo hoo!!!

Congratulations both of you!
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was dreading week 5, day 3 but did days 1 and 2 ok so thought I would go for it! 20 minutes running, are u kidding? Five minutes in, my brain told me to stop and walk but I argued back and battled through burning calf muscles, reasoning that won't kill me and thinking that I need to be able to tell people I did it! Final 2 minutes were so long but thought might as well finish now. Two days rest and on to week 6!

Can't say I enjoy running, it is a slog but afterwards, feel good that I achieved something and once I recover, could do it again. The programme does work, I am 51, was reasonably unfit and always admired others for running, now I am having a go (slowly)!
  • frankie5152
    frankie5152 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Just completed W6D3. Felt better at the end of it than i did for the 20 min jog last week. I feel like im ready for next week of 25 min jogs.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    W6D1 - Done. Thanks @moyer566 and @dedicatedlurker, running for extended time is indeed amazing.
  • snha
    Options
    Just completed W6D3. Felt better at the end of it than i did for the 20 min jog last week. I feel like im ready for next week of 25 min jogs.

Excellent @frankie5152. I look forward to w6d3 :)
  • snha
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Finished W6-3! No cramp this time, so that was good :D

I've hit the point where I get tired my brain starts going "You don't need to finish this. You can stop."

Fortunately I'm stubborn, and I want to do it.
    W6D2 complete

Excellent work @dedicatedlurker -- I am a couple of days behind you!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    everyone is doing so good
    I still have to tell my brain to shush in the beginning. the early part of my runs is the old non-runner me.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I still have to tell my brain to shush in the beginning. the early part of my runs is the old non-runner me.

I go through the same. There is the quote that says "never judge a run by the first mile" and I couldn't agree more.
  • snha
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

So true!
  • Slainte831
    Options
    Today was w5d2, including a 12:00 run, and I DID IT!

Hard to believe 2 weeks ago I was fretting about 5:00.

Things that really helped:
    -- my friend did the 20-min run today, and her success is so motivating
    -- the weather is much cooler and no humidity (70'F or 19'C)
    -- instead of counting minutes, I told myself 'it's just 4 songs; I can run for 4 songs' (the first time I glanced at my watch was 10:00 min into the run)
    -- being able to come here and post!

I'm so impressed with everyone's perseverence and will. What an amazing, supportive group.