Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You've all done wonderfully well. You should be proud of yourselves.

I finished the 5 to 10 k today, managed to do it in under an hour. Wish I'd done the C25k years ago !
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options

I finished the 5 to 10 k today, managed to do it in under an hour. Wish I'd done the C25k years ago !
    Nicely done. This is my third time trying c25k, but I wish I would had stuck it out the first time five years ago. I'm hoping to do the 5 to 10 k next. Was that a six week program?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Nicely done. This is my third time trying c25k, but I wish I would had stuck it out the first time five years ago. I'm hoping to do the 5 to 10 k next. Was that a six week program?

The RunDouble 5 to 10k program is 6 weeks.
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    W6D1 done!

I'm strapped for time all week, so had to do at the gym on a treadmill, so I could do my strength training after. Not a huge fan of this. But it's still work, so it's good I guess. W6D1, was a walk in the park compared to W5D3.

Any thoughts on using a treadmill during this program? Not that I plan to use it anymore then I am forced.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I used a dreadmill to start with, the issue I always had is that I cannot maintain a constant pace. Therefore the sessions were always painful as either I had to force an unnatural even pace, or I kept changing the belt speed. I just never enjoyed it. The lack of airflow, even if it is cold, also put me off. Getting to the gym was the other downer. Just getting up and going out in the morning is always preferable to me.

People do the whole programme on a dreadmill, so if it works for you then carry on. It is your journey and you need to make it fit your circumstances.

Have fun
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    I finished week 7 day 3 yesterday. Anyone else terrified to move onto week eight? I am! So I repeated week six day one today. It wasn't a planned run day but I felt like running. (Weird, so weird for me to say I felt like running)... I also have a slower pace than the app seems to recommend so I am trying to speed up a little before getting to a "5k"
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used a dreadmill to start with, the issue I always had is that I cannot maintain a constant pace. Therefore the sessions were always painful as either I had to force an unnatural even pace, or I kept changing the belt speed. I just never enjoyed it. The lack of airflow, even if it is cold, also put me off. Getting to the gym was the other downer. Just getting up and going out in the morning is always preferable to me.

People do the whole programme on a dreadmill, so if it works for you then carry on. It is your journey and you need to make it fit your circumstances.

Have fun

I'm not a fan of it, it was a matter of convenience this morning. I had no real idea of what I should set my run speed too, I know what my "peak speed" and "average speed" is during my runs, but not the average for running.

Think I'll just stick to running outdoors.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I finished week 7 day 3 yesterday. Anyone else terrified to move onto week eight? I am! So I repeated week six day one today. It wasn't a planned run day but I felt like running. (Weird, so weird for me to say I felt like running)... I also have a slower pace than the app seems to recommend so I am trying to speed up a little before getting to a "5k"

Trust in the program. If you finished w7d3, move on to w8! So what if you are going at a slower pace? At the end of the program you should be able to run 30 minutes straight without stopping. It doesn't really matter how far you run in that 30 minutes. Speed will come with more running!

You can do this!
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Trust in the program. If you finished w7d3, move on to w8! So what if you are going at a slower pace? At the end of the program you should be able to run 30 minutes straight without stopping. It doesn't really matter how far you run in that 30 minutes. Speed will come with more running!

You can do this!

Definitely the way to go, do the time, distance (speed) comes later. Have fun
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Have fun

I'm not a fan of it, it was a matter of convenience this morning. I had no real idea of what I should set my run speed too, I know what my "peak speed" and "average speed" is during my runs, but not the average for running.

Think I'll just stick to running outdoors.

I'll think you will be happier, if you are running on a dreadmill though, setting the elevation to 1% apparently makes it feel more like outside.
  • upsaluki
    Options

That's the app I use. Six weeks seems a little short for doubling my distance, so I was wondering if any others out there are longer.
  • ftrobbie
    Options

That's the app I use. Six weeks seems a little short for doubling my distance, so I was wondering if any others out there are longer.

It works, I used the zenlab version, I think that's 5 weeks, could be 6. You've got past the hard bit, remember that you went from 20mins to 30mins, 50% increase, in 3 weeks. When doing long distance training you can add a mile a week to your long runs, this is going for approximately 3 miles over 6 weeks. You really need to trust these programmes, this is your mind playing games again :laugh: .

Have fun, be strong
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I used the Zen Labs version, and it felt a bit aggressive to me. The general convention is to avoid adding more than about 10% per week to your speed or distance, although walk/ run reduces the impact of that there is an assumption of download weeks as well.

I wasn't getting on with walk/ run at that point anyway, so worked up a 10K improvement plan on Endomondo and used that. It took another 12 weeks, but as an improvement plan I was running the 10Km distance quite soon within it, but coupled that with speed sessions as well.
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I used the rundouble too, but found the transition not to be a problem. I think the body becomes a lot more used to the distances, and I found it a lot easier to adjust to the increase in distance than I did with some of the C25k
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Thanks folks. I'll just stick to the RunDouble app and see how it goes.
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options

You're right! OKAY I'm on it today. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

You can do this!
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options

You can do this!

Definitely the way to go, do the time, distance (speed) comes later. Have fun

You're right. I'm not in a race. I just have to psych myself out NOT TO STOP! I find myself checking the timer constantly wanting to. But if I turn over my phone and not look at it, I obsess on looking at it haha.....
  • SamNicoll
    SamNicoll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Impressed with all this about doubling from 5k to 10k! A way off for me so I'll get back to you on that :smile:

W1/D3 completed - Friday will see me cross the threshold to W2.

Benefits of running outside noted but I live in a VERY hilly area so will stick to the dreadmill for now, with 1% incline as suggested.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Thanks folks. I'll just stick to the RunDouble app and see how it goes.

Looking back through my history in RunDouble, I see that I started 5 to 10k on July 14 and finished on Sep 6 last year. I never repeated any days, but I threw in some "fun" runs during that time. I used the distance version throughout, so when I finished 5 to 10k, I ran 10k (in 73 minutes). If you are using the timed version, you will be able to run 60 minutes straight. It was NOT easy!
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    W8D1 done, we're a day behind as my son was off school ill and it probably wouldn't have been a good idea to make him go running! But we're back on schedule now, can't believe it's nearly over!!:cry: