Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• kharmon2013
    kharmon2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Today I finished week 3 day 1, but it was killer so I'll probably redo it :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Today I finished week 3 day 1, but it was killer so I'll probably redo it :)

I say, if you did it, move on! Just slow down a little for day 2.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    IMG_20140913_0839158411.jpg

Thought I would share this here. I ran my first 5K today!!! My official chip time was 29:44!!! I NEVER even thought I would go below the 30 minute mark!!!

Keep on going fellow runners! You can do it!
    Awesome job! Did you find running with others gave a boost to your pace?

I think it must have! It was daunting see so many people there. There was 2,500 people there for the 5K, 10K, half and full marathons. Where I lined up based on my estimated finish time there was some full marathoners there. I got talking to them and they said they would be watching for me to do a full in another couple of years. Once we started they were behind me and I heard them encouraging me on (before they passed me!)
  • mamafelfleh
    mamafelfleh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    W6D1 done! And I ran the whole W5D3 20min! Whoop!

Me too :happy:
  • mamafelfleh
    mamafelfleh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    W6D1 done!!!
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    IMG_20140913_0839158411.jpg

Thought I would share this here. I ran my first 5K today!!! My official chip time was 29:44!!! I NEVER even thought I would go below the 30 minute mark!!!

Keep on going fellow runners! You can do it!
    Awesome job! Did you find running with others gave a boost to your pace?

I think it must have! It was daunting see so many people there. There was 2,500 people there for the 5K, 10K, half and full marathons. Where I lined up based on my estimated finish time there was some full marathoners there. I got talking to them and they said they would be watching for me to do a full in another couple of years. Once we started they were behind me and I heard them encouraging me on (before they passed me!)

Great story.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options

W2D1 is done!
    W2D2 is done!
    W2D3 is done!
    W3D1 is done! :smile:
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Forgot to check in yesterday.

W5D1, done. No real issues. Amped to see how tomorrow goes with the 8 min runs. After the 3x5min yesterday, I can see it's just going to be all mental. I am up for it!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Forgot to check in yesterday.

W5D1, done. No real issues. Amped to see how tomorrow goes with the 8 min runs. After the 3x5min yesterday, I can see it's just going to be all mental. I am up for it!

Nicely done! PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) is key.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm pleased to say we completed W7D1 yesterday, another 25mins run, slowed down near the end, but didn't give up!!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm pleased to say we completed W7D1 yesterday, another 25mins run, slowed down near the end, but didn't give up!!

Perfect, finishing is the aim, well done.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Week 6 Day 2 is finished. Next run is a longer run. A nice added bonus tonight was two sandhill cranes hanging out ten feet from my running trail. Lost a day on my schedule because I started a month of paternity leave yesterday.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    ftrobbie- You are progressing pretty fast. What are you doing for injury prevention? Do you ice, use a foam roller, or something else? I'm prone to shin splints, so I've been trying the RICE method. I'm thinking about getting a roller though.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Week 6 Day 2 is finished. Next run is a longer run. A nice added bonus tonight was two sandhill cranes hanging out ten feet from my running trail. Lost a day on my schedule because I started a month of paternity leave yesterday.
    It's always nice when mother nature gives you a show. Congrats on the baby!
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie- You are progressing pretty fast. What are you doing for injury prevention? Do you ice, use a foam roller, or something else? I'm prone to shin splints, so I've been trying the RICE method. I'm thinking about getting a roller though.

Love seeing the ticker move too. Keep up the good work.

Personally I RICE it as well, when I start to get shin splints, (happening less and less often for me as I lose the weight.)
    Interested to hear experiences with the Foam Rollers.

Daily Check in:
    W5D2... The 8 min runs went really well. Total distance with the Warmups was 2.6 miles. Which seems to be in line with the suggested distance on the app as well (3/4 mi or 8 minutes twice, and walk 1/2 mile or 5 minutes, plus warmup/cooldown)

The only issue was IT WAS COLD this morning! I need to invest in some cold weather running gear, seeing how it won't be getting any warmer anytime soon.

Good luck all.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to shin splints, so I've been trying the RICE method. I'm thinking about getting a roller though.

There are several potential causes of shin splints, including muscular imbalance.

It's worth doing some resistance training, at least bodyweight work, or something like cycling with toes clipped into the pedals to balance up the muscles.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Thanks folks. I've been having a little soreness in both knees and popping in my right knee also, so I'm trying to be pretty careful about overuse injuries and trying to do too much to early. I'm going to stick to couch to 5k and slow down on some of the other stuff I've been doing.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

:blushing: Nothing really. I started back in February doing quite a lot of walking, every lunchtime at work if I could, circa 45-50 mins a day. Then at weekends walking everywhere practicable. In June after losing 22kgs, down to 105kgs BMI 29.7, I started C25k just following the programme, doing some strength training and continuing the walking. At the end of C25k I dropped the strength training as I was not enjoying it and my legs could not cope with running and squats. I thought I would drop running but I enjoyed that more. Started c210k from where c25k finished and other than some minor off piste excursions have followed that programme and have a 60 min run at the weekend to complete it. I have listened to my body and rested and gone slowly, I got over the need to do everything faster than last time, quite early on. Some of the other posters on here helped me with that. Ego got checked at the door on the way out for runs. I have also eaten quite a lot of protein, 30% of diet calories, just to ensure that any damage was repaired quickly. I have oatmeal, milk, sultanas and protein powder within 30 mins after almost every run. Having a routine has helped me as well. Things I could do better, be more diligent with stretching after runs but other than that I have been lucky and slow. 5k still longer than 30 mins. But as I keep posting this tortoise will win this race. 12 weeks ago I could not run 5 mins continuously, today I did 55 mins and got to 7.7km but desperately trying to keep my heart rate down. The weekend will be faster but I will only go as far and as fast as I feel my body can cope with. My mind has given up telling me it is too hard, the body has hardened up to the stresses.

This may not work for you, but it is how I have got to here today. Hope it helps
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to shin splints, so I've been trying the RICE method. I'm thinking about getting a roller though.

There are several potential causes of shin splints, including muscular imbalance.

It's worth doing some resistance training, at least bodyweight work, or something like cycling with toes clipped into the pedals to balance up the muscles.

I need to look into something...my shins were killing me today. I'm up to 4 miles now (I forgot to post that I graduated about 2 weeks ago?), but man, my legs hurt now.

I'll keep reading for shin suggestions, lol
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options

W2D1 is done!
    W2D2 is done!
    W2D3 is done!
    W3D1 is done!
    W3D2 is done!????