Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Been in Shanghai the last few days. No pool access. Barely time to even walk.
    But i gotta say being able to swim at all this trip has been great for my mental health and stress level this trip.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    But i gotta say being able to swim at all this trip has been great for my mental health and stress level this trip.

If you can say that after being kicked in the head a few times then I guess it's a good thing!
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Now If only I could figure out why I get a Vertigo like feeling after about 250m of bilateral. Doesn't matter if I am doing Flip turns or Touch and Goes, as soon as I go full Bilateral it's pretty consistent around 250m. Instructor/lifeguard said she would watch me after the triathlon is done to see if she can pick anything out. I suspect it is something to do with my Head turn-Body roll but hard to self analyse from in the water.

@Juliet3455 I get vertigo when I try to breathe bilaterally, too. It has always happened to me, even as a year-round swimmer when I was a kid/teenager. It used to frustrate the heck out of my coaches. It has only gotten worse as I've gotten older...lol. My hypothesis is that I just have really sensitive inner-ears, because my motion-sickness in automobiles/boats/etc has gotten worse too.

I just thought I'd let you know you aren't alone on this one. :smile:

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Always such good swims reported here. Wow, we have some fast folks! And some serious distance work! I did 45 minutes before my class yesterday. I wanted to try out the Finis burners and get my daughter back in the pool. Her summer swim team ended a week ago, and she hasn't been back yet. We both felt "floaty" which I suppose is a good thing (as opposed to feeling "sinky.") The burners took a bit of getting used to. I still need to work on feeling more natural with them on. They seem to slow my kick, but it makes me kick more powerfully, which I need to do. I have an extraordinarily weak kick. I'll head back today, albeit with out my buddy, and work some more.

Oh, and the prescription goggles from Sporti are fantastic. I'm sure they'll have the fogging issues that all goggles have, but I can see clearly in the water, I can see the clocks, and if water sneaks in, it doesn't bother me at all. Hooray! Glad I bought two pair!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Short Swim today 750m, 250 breast, 250 free, 250 breast.
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    1700SCM Masters Short but evil
    That's the best description of a Crazy Hard Workout that I have ever heard of.
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    @mpeters1965 said it best.
    Oh, and the prescription goggles from Sporti are fantastic. I can see clearly in the water, I can see the clocks, and if water sneaks in, it doesn't bother me at all. Hooray! Glad I bought two pair!
    B)
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I swam 1650 yards today! Last time I did this was about 8 years ago. I'm so happy. It's only been 13 days since I've been back in the water. With how sick I've been for 3 years, I thought it would be months before I'd manage this. Sure, it took me 90 minutes, but oh well. I'll get faster in time.

I feel like I just kicked cancer's butt. Yay!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I forgot my goggles today ...and apparently I have become a little crybaby over chlorine in my eyes. When I first started all this I went weeks before giving in and buying goggles ...today I couldn't make it 200 meters ....so i decided all backstroke was better than quitting my swim early

61 minutes, backstroke ...
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2350SCM
    Masters
    Back end speed aka attempted homicide by coach!!

3X200 as 1 free 1 free/back 1 free/br

4X100 free as 50 steady 50 build no breathing final 7m
    Times were 1.20 1.19 1.18 1.16

8X50 kick on 1.15 as
    2 fly on back
    2 free first 20m underwater
    2 back first 15m underwater
    2 fly on back

4X75 free as 50 steady 25 sprint (again on breathing last 7m)

200 free pull breathe alt 5/7 by 25s

4X50 as 25 build 25 sprint

250 easy

I think what I'm getting the most benefit from is the mental training ie discovering I can go to training feeling lazy but still put it together which will HOPEFULLY make me not so petrified at meets this season!

• LCroissant
    LCroissant Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    [quote="AquaticQuests;33718727"
    [/quote]

You'll still be able to expend the same energy - only going a whole lot faster. Unless you want to maintain the current speed, in which case, like you point out, a more efficient stroke but maintaining a slower speed will mean less calories burned!

[/quote]

I'm not sure I can go much faster, since he was making me mostly glide (as long as possible, then stroke)

Yesterday I had another instructor and liked him much more. Mostly bc he actually focused on freestyle. I was EXHAUSTED and so out of breath after 30 minutes, including a bunch of breaks during which he would explain a new drill.

How do you guys freestyle/crawl for half an hour to three hours straight?? I'm so impressed! Can't wait to make it to half an hour with proper breathing and not stopping :)
  • giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Managed to swim for an hour today - another first for me. 1500 m in 62 minutes. Attempted one length freestyle at the end of my swim - breathing all wrong, swallowed water and gave up!! Have ordered myself a nose clip and prescription goggles, which will hopefully help things along. Any tips welcome.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Missed swimming yesterday but was back in the pool this morning. Annoyingly though I did something to my back just before getting into the pool so really just did a lazy hour swimming slowly up and down to take it easy rather than what I hoped was going to be a 5km session!! I know that this minor muscle pull is due to carrying too many heavy bags on one side (I have had it before). Now where is that rucksack.....
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone, especially the new people for sticking with it! Any new stroke is hard, especially freestyle, since you can't just keep your head up the whole time to breathe. The struggle is real.

I swam this morning for about 45 minutes. I started off with a planned workout but wandered off track. As I swam, I watched the cute little boy in the lane next to me getting his lessons. I watched the man on the other side knock his ankles together when he kicked. Ouch! I watched the guy two lanes over (his name is Bill) with the really long arms and giant corkscrew kick that makes him impossible to share a lane with. I watched the new lady come in after Bill and try a few laps and have a tough time keeping her face in the water. I watched Bill bend the ear of one of the guards for a good 20 minutes after he got out of the pool. I kept swimming but paid attention to just about everything else.

I'm having trouble with swimming motivation right now. I've hit a wall on progress and can't seem to keep my enthusiasm up. I think when the outdoor pools closes in October, I'll go back to Masters but with the evening class and coach. I love swimming in the morning but not with that coach.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It is such an inspiration to come here and read about everybody's swims. Can_Do_Gal, you are kicking cancer's butt!!! Stephen, I too, am finding I don't care for chlorine in my eyes. When I wore contacts, I stopped anytime there was water in my goggles. With my new goggles, I can keep going, but it means that water is getting into my eyeballs now... Emma, you can't be caught. Good grief, woman! You're fast!! You'll be good and ready for your meets. You sound like you are getting great coaching and your work ethic must be stellar, lol. Croissant, you'll get there. I started out thinking I could just jump in a lap lane and start working out. I swan to the end of the lane and wondered how in the heck I was going to get back without lifeguard intervention. Gifty, there are lots folks here who can point you to drills for learning breathing for freestyle. The one that I didn't want to try, but eventually did, was using a kickboard. Face down, side breathing. It helped immensely. Once I had that down, I worked with a pull bouy to take my lower body out of the equation. There was just too darn much to think about and synchronize. You'll get it. Try a little each time you go. Master Panda, go find that rucksack!! I've had that pain before and it's lousy. I'm glad you got a swim in though. If nothing else, your back muscles and the ones connected to them got warmed up and stretched. mpeters, you are describing many of my swims, lol. I'm a people watcher. I can't help it. People fascinate me. Everybody has a story, and when I'm swimming, I don't know most of them. But it's fun to watch people. Plus, I learn a lot from watching someone doing something right, so if I see a good swimmer, I try to watch without being creepy.

I spent yesterday giving my house a good cleaning. I'm a special ed teacher and summer break is over this weekend. I was exhausted and had nearly talked myself out of my swim, but I was so hot, I thought that if nothing else, I'd get into the water. Well, one thing led to another and I just kept swimming. I've had to pass up similar opportunities to swim as long as I want to, but yesterday, I took it. My daughter started out with me, but after about 30 min, she was done. I told her I needed another 20 or so. I wanted to get another 500y in, so I started win with the alphabet. I got to H and found my stride. I saw my kid coming back into the pool to put my key back. I kept going. Then after another 20 min or so, she was suddenly standing over me. I was just finishing letter X, so I gasped up to her, "Two more! I'll explain later!" Went home and did the math, and I was six laps short of two miles. It took my an hour and 20 min to do, but I didn't care. I swam and swam and swam. I know that I need to keep working on technique, but from the sounds of the more experienced swimmers, that will always be true.
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    LCroissant wrote: »
    How do you guys freestyle/crawl for half an hour to three hours straight?? I'm so impressed! Can't wait to make it to half an hour with proper breathing and not stopping :)

Practice. When I started, I could only do 1.5 lengths of the pool without having to stop to catch my breath. Now I can do a full mile (72 lengths) with no problem. Just takes time and practice and being willing to push yourself!

Gift, there are lots of great swim instructional videos out there. The catch up drill with the kickboard is how i learned to breathe bilaterally; might be a good place to start?

Curly-Girl, nice job! ! I'm impressed with your two miles. Also, I had no idea you are also a teacher! I teach high school theatre. How are you guys doing with all the smoke?
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    That's better. No back pain today so 3km free then 1km mix free, back and breast. All in a nice tidy 1 hour and 20 mins.
  • giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I now have prescription goggles and a nose clip which I think will help. Need to get myself a kickboard to practice breathing drill as suggested. Not sure what a pull bout is girlwithcurls?
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    swim pull buoy http://www.swimoutlet.com/pull-buoys-c9664/ It goes between your knees and then you use just your arms to swim.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Tri-River Triathlon Peace River. :)
    Swim 750m 18:46 Rank 39/61
    Bike 20 km 52:11 Rank 42/61
    Run 5 km 28:57 Rank 37/61
    4 swimmers per single wide lane so passing was just about impossible. Somehow I did manage to pass 2 of my lane mates at the wall- in fairness they stopped for an air break/goggle adjustment.
    Overall placement 42/61. B) A Decent Day Cloudy, light wind and 15C.
    Now for some serious Hydration, Foam Rolling and Stretching. I actually plan a 3 km walk to help keep everything stretched out and loose.
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I kept track of my distance for the first time today and I swam 1150m in approx 40 minutes. I have no idea if that's any good (probably not since I've only really been at it for 3 weeks), but now I have a number that I can try to improve on in my future swims.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    1900m, 62 minutes, mixed strokes, 15 sprints