Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Nice setup fatback!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks. This is part of the fitness centre at the fire department. In my time as Chief this was a pet project to improve the health (and survival) of our members. It's gone well. with about half of our FFs working out regularly. Still a couple who really need to make improvements that I try to coax and lead by example even though I stepped down as Chief in December (Stupid heart attack). Many of them have figured out 'if that old prick can do it...' We've got a cable weight machine, good treadmill and elliptical, bike and some free weights. With the addition of this power cage and the oly bar and weights I've not renewed my university gym membership and do all my indoor workouts here.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    That was a wonderful thing to do, you are an amazing example to follow, very impressive!
  • luluinca
    Options
    Okay.................so I talked to my trainer today about power lifting and he's totally stoked......that's a Marine for you!!!! He seems to think I can compete with my dead lift at least in my age bracket. I'm still not sure about competing but I'm going to start the training part of it. Actually, it's not much different than what I'm already doing. Either way it's a Win, Win!

We're having trouble finding stats re Master's Women's records but I think we'll figure it out if we keep trying. It might be possible that there just aren't that many 65 year olds power lifting.......lol

Attitude!!!
  • marekdds
    Options
    No kidding, probably about three of you worldwide, lol. Good for you!
  • luluinca
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    No kidding, probably about three of you worldwide, lol. Good for you!

I know right??? I bet there's more than three though......LOL
  • TravelinGal7147
    TravelinGal7147 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just turned 70 and I have plenty of attitude but could use more muscle. I am still out of town so for now walking will be my exercise. As soon as I return to Florida in 2 1/2 weeks I am committing to get a trainer. Yes I have aches and pains but for sure weight loss can only improve them. I am getting ready for a trip to India in Nov 2016 and I plan to be in good shape!
  • fitotrim
    fitotrim Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    fitotrim wrote: »
    I like all the positive here! I do water aerobics with ladies in their 80s. I kayak and the leader of our group is 84
    fitotrim wrote: »
    I like all the positive here! I do water aerobics with ladies in their 80s. I kayak and the leader of our group is 84
    I just turned 70 and I have plenty of attitude but could use more muscle. I am still out of town so for now walking will be my exercise. As soon as I return to Florida in 2 1/2 weeks I am committing to get a trainer. Yes I have aches and pains but for sure weight loss can only improve them. I am getting ready for a trip to India in Nov 2016 and I plan to be in good shape!
    How exciting! Good motivation.
  • TravelinGal7147
    TravelinGal7147 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I too do water aerobics when I am in Flrida and I am looking forward to getting back to it. I am starting the week with ATTITUDE - all positive.
  • luluinca
    Options

I think your attitude is awesome......let me know if you need help asking questions of your trainer???

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Just competing with myself - did a group class today and it was me and a lot of young people ... and it was OK !
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Great thread!

I think at our age you HAVE to have some attitude. Otherwise we would all sit on the couch and eat, and not worry about it. I can afford to buy bigger clothes, I just don't want to.

Luluinca, major attitude, and I love it! I would have never guessed those arms were attached to someone our age.

Farback, I've seen your other posts about being back on "the job". Another great attitude!

And MostlyWater, though for the most part I'm like you... more competing with myself, I do on occasion really enjoy showing the young'ens how it's done.

A few weeks back at my biking turn around point a couple of maybe 30s guys unloaded their several thousand dollar bikes. And then drafted behind me while going upwind for several miles. While at an intersection, I made a slow roll ride through, and they blew through once they saw I was going. I managed to catch up easy, and got a little draft off them for about a mile, when the one guy notices I was still there, and tells his buddy "lets go!".

Poor boys... all that money in their bikes, and that young foolish swagger. They couldn't even manage to break away at all. About a half mile in they faded fast. I easily put a quarter mile between us in the next couple of miles, and they gave up and turned around.

A 52 year old guy on an old piece of crap mountain bike, 12 miles into his ride, dusted off a couple kids with all their expensive gear. I call it a non scale victory. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Great thread. :) Reminds me to get back to the weights in the gym after the "short" break I took in the summer.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks Robert, and nice job showing the kids age and treachery will always overcome youth and inexperience.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Robertw486......awesome NSV!!!!
  • luluinca
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Great thread!

I think at our age you HAVE to have some attitude. Otherwise we would all sit on the couch and eat, and not worry about it. I can afford to buy bigger clothes, I just don't want to.

Luluinca, major attitude, and I love it! I would have never guessed those arms were attached to someone our age.

Farback, I've seen your other posts about being back on "the job". Another great attitude!

And MostlyWater, though for the most part I'm like you... more competing with myself, I do on occasion really enjoy showing the young'ens how it's done.

A few weeks back at my biking turn around point a couple of maybe 30s guys unloaded their several thousand dollar bikes. And then drafted behind me while going upwind for several miles. While at an intersection, I made a slow roll ride through, and they blew through once they saw I was going. I managed to catch up easy, and got a little draft off them for about a mile, when the one guy notices I was still there, and tells his buddy "lets go!".

Poor boys... all that money in their bikes, and that young foolish swagger. They couldn't even manage to break away at all. About a half mile in they faded fast. I easily put a quarter mile between us in the next couple of miles, and they gave up and turned around.

A 52 year old guy on an old piece of crap mountain bike, 12 miles into his ride, dusted off a couple kids with all their expensive gear. I call it a non scale victory. :)

I love this Robert................great attitude!

I regularly out lift girls at the gym and I'm very quiet about it...................they notice though.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    This thread just keeps getting more inspiring... kudos to all of you!
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Great thread!

Showing them how it's done! Loving it.
  • marekdds
    Options
    awesome stuff! drat, now I have to go to the gym.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    You rock, Robert.