Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Morning swim. 54 laps in 70 minutes. Ugh! Definitely not my favorite time to work out, but it makes me feel so damned smug and virtuous the rest of the day.

The faculty meeting be like "blah blah blah students blah blah the dean blah blah blah underappreciated for what I bring to the university blah blah blah" and rosebarnalice be thinkin' to herself "you pompous windbags--I swam a mile and a half before you even made your coffee. Hells to the yeah!"
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yeah Rose is right!! I love the early morning swim and the virtous feeling I get too :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    poolclosed.jpg

:'( Still in Dry Dock :'(
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Back home from the meet. Five races. Five wins. Three personal bests. One sore shoulder.

Not sure if anyone wants times but they were:
    50m backstroke 38.1
    100m backstroke 1.21.7
    200m backstroke 2.57.7
    100 IM 1.25.4
    100 free 1.12.6

Now for Chinese takeaways and a glass of wine. Back into it tomorrow. Lots of areas for improvement and lots of work to be done!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Five races. Five wins. Three personal bests. One sore shoulder.
    50m backstroke 38.1
    100m backstroke 1.21.7
    200m backstroke 2.57.7
    100 IM 1.25.4
    100 free 1.12.6

Now for Chinese takeaways and a glass of wine. Back into it tomorrow. Lots of areas for improvement and lots of work to be done!
    B) Way to go EmmaB. Amazing Times. Definitely deserve the Wine and takeaway.
    Your 100 free time = my 50 free time. So I have lots of work to do.
    But then I only really learned proper form/technique 2 years ago so still a lot to learn and improve on.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1500 meters. Boston Sharkfest across the mouth of Boston Harbor. Perfect day, perfect weather.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Back home from the meet. Five races. Five wins. Three personal bests. One sore shoulder.

Not sure if anyone wants times but they were:
    50m backstroke 38.1
    100m backstroke 1.21.7
    200m backstroke 2.57.7
    100 IM 1.25.4
    100 free 1.12.6

Well done, Emma!! Your times are so fast. I blame my slow speed on learning later in life, but your training regimen compared to mine is... well... much more structured, lol. (to say the least!) Awesome work! Hope you enjoyed your wine and takeaway. You earned it!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    1500 meters. Boston Sharkfest across the mouth of Boston Harbor. Perfect day, perfect weather.

Another open water event! Gonna hop over to your blog and see how it went :) Someone's getting hooked! (not literally!)
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    2150m, 61 minutes, mixed strokes, 16 sprint lengths
  • NoelFigart1
    Options

Another open water event! Gonna hop over to your blog and see how it went :) Someone's getting hooked! (not literally!)

http://swimasslowaschristmas.blogspot.com/2015/09/turtle-in-boston-harbor.html
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    lazy sunday, i wasn't feelin the workout ...so I just put my time in, no sprint laps, I think I got in around 1800-1900m
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Emma - those times are great. Well done.

I thought I would try to see if my sternum could bear any swimming today so off I went. One length slow breaststroke = pain. One length slow crawl = pain. One length slow back = more pain. So that was almost that. Instead I water jogged for 10 lengths then did 10 more legs only (back and front) & that was fine. Will have a rest tomorrow then will take my fins and kickboard to the pool later this week for a legs only session. Who knows, this could turn out to be a blessing and I could end up with a much stronger kick!
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Wow, @60sPanda I hope you're feeling better soon.

Back in the groove. I'm training for a four mile swim and Alcatraz next summer. No more screwing around and *shudder* more dryland work.

1200 yards, 34:00 minutes. I was lazy today and enjoying swimming just for itself before getting serious about training for next summer's swims.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, Emma, those times are smoking! What did you think of the meet? Hadn't it been a while?

Way to go, Noel! I read your blog post. The way you just go for it inspires me.

Some days are like that, Stephen. We put in our time and go home.

Panda, good look with the kick sets. Sometimes it takes an injury to shake us up and do something different.

As for me, 1,700 yards mixed sets. About 45 minutes. I got to the pool late, the regular adult locker room was flooded so we had to use the one for the kids and no outlet would run my hair dryer. I dried it when I got to the office. It's funny how something like that throws me off. It's taking me a while to settle in.
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    I thought I would try to see if my sternum could bear any swimming today so off I went. One length slow breaststroke = pain. One length slow crawl = pain. One length slow back = more pain. So that was almost that. Instead I water jogged for 10 lengths then did 10 more legs only (back and front) & that was fine. Will have a rest tomorrow then will take my fins and kickboard to the pool later this week for a legs only session. Who knows, this could turn out to be a blessing and I could end up with a much stronger kick!

Ooooh, I'm so sorry that you're still suffering. But good for you for giving it a go and water jogging and kicking!

• rosebarnalice
    Options
    51 of my regular 54 laps because I got to the pool about 5 minutes late for a.m. session. I'll make up the three missing laps later in the week
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    1200m or so, 40 mins. Not a great feeling swim but at least I made myself go. I made myself do the first 1000 and then made myself take it to 40 mins. As Stephen says 'I wasn't feeling the workout' ... Still I cycled home up the hill, and that certainly added to the cardio benefit.

I am bored of the usual swimming stuff I am doing at the mo. Just doing it cos it's good for me. Not cos I am enjoying the swimming itself that much. I hope I get some mojo back soon.

Emma - thought of you today as I was doing my backstroke. Your favourite I think? How do you manage not to feel lots of neck tension? I can't do many lengths before my neck is really tight...
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    FWIW, when you do backstroke, if your neck hurts, you're probably tilting your head to your chest a lot. It might be a little vulnerable-feeling, but if you tilt your head back a back (the "chin up" position when you're standing), the water is supporting your melon instead of your muscles.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work, everyone. Congrats Emma on your wins, those are great times.

I just did quick (for me) mile swims over the weekend. A momentary breakthrough yesterday where I was faster with fewer strokes then it went back to my usual wriggle technique. I could use some coaching but don't want to use any of the ones that hang out at the pool teaching the kids.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    2650 yards in 50 min. Mixed it up with some sprints, some 100 IMs, and some distance free. I need to invest in new earplugs, the cheap ones I've been using fall apart and I'm worried they'll get stuck in my ear!