New members - tell us about yourself

Replies

• KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Hi there! My name is Kerry and I'm 55. No kids, but have a dog, 3 cats, and a husband. I've always had weight issues but if I 1) log my food 2) do some cardio and 3) do strength training it usually comes off. Getting all 3 components in place is the hard part--I usually manage 2 at a time but seldom all of them. I'm hoping group input will help me stick to it!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Nice to meet everyone! See you on the board!
  • mommafinnie
    mommafinnie Posts: 32 Member
    Hello all, I am 51, married to my high school sweetheart for 29 years been together since we were 15, I have 3 children 28,26, & 25 3 beautiful grand babies all boys 5, 18 months and 3 months. Been struggling for years with this weight loss with going up and down from 260-284 I have been struggling big time lately with focus I guess with so many years of putting everyone else first and me last I am having a difficult time putting me first, I do great some days then bam wreck it all. I have been having a few mobility issues lately that hampers me doing physical things cause I know I am going to be hurting the next day, sounds like a cop out but that's what happens. So I decided to give it another shot and see if I can make it stick this time I know there is going to be ups and downs but here is hoping for more ups and loses.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    I'm Mack. I'm 55 for 2 more weeks. I started using this app on January 1st, I'm at about 230, started at 268. This is my second time trying this, but this time I have made major changes to the kinds of foods I eat. I found I can't eat less of the foods that make me fat and expect to lose weight. I need to eat more nutritious foods to be at a deficit. I do computer work from home, so the only exercise I get is when I go to the gym or go for a walk or run. Have a few friends on the app, but would prefer to talk with people closer to my age. Looking forward to being a part of this group. Married with 3 kids.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,226 Member
    Welcome Kerry, finnie and Mack! What I like about this group is that we have common struggles, but we haven't given up. It does involves changes, most especially to our mindset. Once we get our heads on straight, the rest follows.
  • Walkingoffthelbs
    Walkingoffthelbs Posts: 43 Member
    Hi ALL :) I am Karen. I will be 50 on the 21st of this month. So 50lbs during my 50th year is my goal. Married with 3 kids (22, 18, 16). Just started a new job where I pretty much sit on my butt all day. Trying to find that happy balance in life where I can spend some time focusing on me. Its been a struggle. With your help, motivation and "cheers" - I know I'll get there......we all will!!!
  • marekdds
    Welcome Karen! Finding that balance is hard. It gets easier as the kids are less demanding, but you need to do this for yourself and ultimately, be around longer for them.
  • kevingacke
    kevingacke Posts: 22 Member
    Welcome Karen. I've found being honest with myself to be the biggest benefit of all. In the same boat work wise (sitting), but I will not allow myself to use that as an excuse. Stay strong.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 969 Member
    Welcome all. You will find lots of support and good ideas here.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    marekdds wrote: »
    Hi Nancy! Congrats on your loss. Maintenance is a whole other world, put it can be done.

Jellybean, kudos for coming back from an injury and staying with it.

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    swim777 wrote: »
    Hi Nancy! Congrats on your loss. Maintenance is a whole other world, put it can be done.

Thanks for the encouragement! Question.... Really seeing the need to tone up...anyone have any advice for beginning strength training? Should have earlier but...! Also, living in the country so will prob have to be at home at first!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,527 Member

Thanks for the encouragement! Question.... Really seeing the need to tone up...anyone have any advice for beginning strength training? Should have earlier but...! Also, living in the country so will prob have to be at home at first!
    Youtube has many instructional videos for all levels, especially beginner.
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    I love the book Strong Women Stay Young...it got me started on strength training and is easy to do at home.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a 58 year old bloke looking to take the last few steps towards health and fitness. I started this year at at an all time high of 91 kg and am down to 82 kg - aiming to get to 79kg to achieve a BMI of 25. I have been using MFP for about six months but the first five months I just logged my eating privately and didn't have any friends ;-(

I am going down the path of low carb high fat and loving it! If you would like to connect, I would like to have a few friends to walk with me on this journey.

Ciao
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 969 Member
    Welcome, ABM. Looks like you are making very good progress. I hope you will find us to be a friendly and helpful group.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    Hi ALL :) I am Karen. I will be 50 on the 21st of this month. So 50lbs during my 50th year is my goal. Married with 3 kids (22, 18, 16). Just started a new job where I pretty much sit on my butt all day. Trying to find that happy balance in life where I can spend some time focusing on me. Its been a struggle. With your help, motivation and "cheers" - I know I'll get there......we all will!!!

Hi Karen. I'm sorry I have to flag and report your first post, but this is a group for people 50 and over. I think you hit a wrong link looking for the 30s group. :) You are quite young looking, but then again so are quite a few in the group I think!

Welcome all. Great group from the little time I've had to spend here since joining.
  • marekdds
    Welcome Abm! Great progress, keep it up! It does help to have support as you go along as it gets harder to lose the last bit and frustrating at times. Don't give up.
  • MSDave
    MSDave Posts: 116 Member
    smd305 wrote: »
    Hi everyone my name is Sue. I have been struggling with my weight & yo-yo dieting since I was 16. I am the mom of 2 & grandma of 1 & I am getting scared that my weight problem will never be resolved. I am at my highest weight ever of 165 but I am 5' 2" so that is too high. I have had success with weight watchers many times but always gain it back. I am trying MFP now because logging my food & seeing what other people are doing is helpful. But it's so hard to get going. I binge eat at night when everyone else goes to bed.

Sue, I know what you mean. Have you tried going to bed when everyone else does?
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Thanks for the welcome - it feels good to be amongst friends who have a positive approach to health.
  • Walkingoffthelbs
    Walkingoffthelbs Posts: 43 Member
    robertw486 wrote: »

Hi Karen. I'm sorry I have to flag and report your first post, but this is a group for people 50 and over. I think you hit a wrong link looking for the 30s group. :) You are quite young looking, but then again so are quite a few in the group I think!

Welcome all. Great group from the little time I've had to spend here since joining.

lol....thanks Robert :blush: