Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Some of the intervals I did during my half training:
    • 6 x 30 seconds fast, 1 minute easy
    • 10 x 30 seconds fast, 1 minute easy
    • 4 x 1/2 mi increasing your speed each one (First 1/2 mile at normal pace, next one a bit faster, next one faster, last one should be uncomfortable) After each 1/2 mile, walk for 2 minutes
    • 6 x 1/2 mi increasing your speed each one with 2 minute walk after each
    • 2 x 1 mile fast with 2 minute rest (standing or walking) in between

My hill repeats usually involve 4 - 5 miles total. I have a favorite spot for speed intervals which is pretty flat (hard to find around here!)

The RunDouble c25k app includes some interval plans which I have also used. These total 30 minutes of running time with run/ walk intervals from 30 to 240 seconds. I just sprint the runs and run the walks.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you!!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Day1 Week2 done!

Day2 Week2 :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So after Sundays race I've been on leave from work, plenty of dog walking and a couple of runs this week and the legs are feeling in reasonable shape.

5K on Monday, 7K yesterday on fairly muddy trails.

I'm going to shift focus for a few weeks just to vary the routine a bit. Turbo trainer and some outdoor cycling to keep the engine going with a bit less stress on the legs.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i just ran nearly 5 miles at 6mph
    considering doing the turkey trot but it's actually on Thanksgiving. don't know how well that will go over with the family.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 I did a turkey trot last year on Thanksgiving. It didn't interfere with the family plans for the day since it was an early morning race and my in-laws always have a late Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe you can talk some other family members into doing it with you?

@MeanderingMammal I always approve of anything involving cycling! :smiley:

@Aine8046 Great job!

I ran yesterday with a co-worker- 5k in 35 minutes. It is entirely too hot for October in NW Arkansas!
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    instead of running i've been eating all the scrumptious treats i've been baking. it's thanksgiving weekend too, so it's either pull out the stretchy pants OR pull up my running tights! it's been 4 days since i've been out . . . the promise of winter is making me LAZY.

i've been enjoying the updates, but i can't stay fit vicariously.

@MeanderingMammal : nice bling! i'm quite content to experience your race secondhand. :wink:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    @moyer566 I did a turkey trot last year on Thanksgiving. It didn't interfere with the family plans for the day since it was an early morning race and my in-laws always have a late Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe you can talk some other family members into doing it with you?

@MeanderingMammal I always approve of anything involving cycling! :smiley:

@Aine8046 Great job!

I ran yesterday with a co-worker- 5k in 35 minutes. It is entirely too hot for October in NW Arkansas!

@Just_Ceci I'm pretty confident none of my family will run it with me. I have a lunch thanksgiving and a dinner thanksgiving usually. We don't get done with the race till 10:30 so time with all the driving that must be done is a bit of a factor. We'll see. there is a cinnamon roll at the end of this race....mmm cinnamon rolls
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    W12d2 5.61 miles

• samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 yumm...cinnamon rolls! That's as great a temptation as any for signing up for the race :)
    @Just_Ceci nice interval plans there, I downloaded the app yesterday, will try these out next time I do some interval training.
    @snha consistent running there..well done!

I have been sticking to easy runs (or no runs!) since I abandoned my 10k improver program a few months back. Today, I used a tempo running coach plan which I had used previously. I had found it challenging then, especially the fast pace. But today, it was more of a struggle to slow down. Not even the fastest pace was challenging. I ran 2 miles and felt like I hadn't got a workout at all, so did hill repeats. Just 3 times, but at least it felt like I had gone for a run. I will try out the intermediate tempo run next time and see how it goes. Planning to do a 5k at the end of the month, will be interesting to see my times.
    Happy running, everyone!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    bf seems supportive about the race. I'm going to do the route tomorrow i think. If it seems doable by thanksgiving in a reasonable time, I'll sign up when i get back.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Sufferfest video this evening, A Very Dark Place. Warm up, a couple of anaerobic sprints and then five lactate threshold intervals of four minutes each, with three minute rest periods.

30km in 55 minutes, although clearly on a turbo there's less wind resistance effect.

Good session to keep things going
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am really, really bad at the daily part of the daily check in thread! Since my last post i have managed to complete a few more 10k training runs. Some were non-stop, others were 10:1's with the running group. My runner's math/logic failed me the weekend before last. It went something like: It's a beautiful day for a 10k... Let's see, about 3 km from home to lake, about 7 km around if I take the trail. Perfect. (Anyone catch the flaw yet?) It didn't hit me until somewhere just before km 9... I forgot to account for the 3 km that would get me home. I tossed around the idea of calling for a ride but pride & stubbornness got in the way. So I suffered and struggled through the last brutal 3k. It was not pretty, it took me nearly as long to complete that 3 as I typically do a 5, with walk breaks that were too frequent and too long in duration. I made it home though and my last interval was a run. A new PR - longest distance and time running to date. After that I hit a bit of a snag with my training, my husband had a week long business trip so my running took a back seat to family obligations and responsibilities. I did get out a couple times a week, but I missed my last planned long run before my race. This week I opted to keep the runs to 5k & my water running class.

This is "Race Weekend" - my son's first ever kid's fun run is Saturday afternoon (800 meters for his age group) and my first ever 10k race is Sunday morning. :) At this point I'm more nervous about Little Man's race than my own... He just turned 5 last month so he will be among the youngest in his age group. I'm doing my best to manage his expectations and keep things light and fun. In typical running tradition, he's pretty much only in it for the t-shirt and finisher's medal. LOL For mine it's all about the little details: how early we have to leave, where to park, what to wear, what Little Man will do while he waits at the finish line with his dad. This is also Thanksgiving weekend in Canada so once the races are done we head home for turkey, stuffing and pie.

The updates have been fantastic to read. Congrats & happy running to everyone!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Signed up for my first race. 8k on thanksgiving. Should be fun. And scary. But I get a hoodie and a cinnamon roll. Did a test run this morning and it went well. Garmin is off but runkeeper shows me on pace to finish within the time allowed already.

Maybe I'll do a 10k for my birthday in January
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @samra338 just be careful not to overdo it. Hard sessions should be limited, hill repeats, tempo sessions one after the other is a recipe for over training. You know your limits and body, just be careful not to over do it.
    MM nice to see you recovering with an easy session !!
    @moyer566 good to see that you have family support for your event and that test run went well. YOu only get one first race, so try not to stress about it and really try to absorb the atmosphere and just enjoy it.
    @Skye_NS hope your weekend went well and the little man enjoyed himself.

Well two bike rides this weekend, the first over a lot of grassland and down green lanes, the last green lane so bad that I got a puncture, first time I've had to do a roadside inner tube replacement. Repaired the inner tube when I got home and found that I had got 3 pinch puncture on that last downhill section. Truly awful. This morning a gentle ride out to the National Watersports Centre and did a recce on the duathlon course that I may do at the end of next month.

Back to running tomorrow, not fancying commuting by bike with overnight temps dropping below freezing point.

Have fun

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Crosstraining today. I took my carbon frame out for a nice comfortable 60km ride out into Salisbury Plain. Pretty good time, it took 2:20, so I was happy enough. I stopped and had a gel at about 35km but felt my legs start to give out in the last 5km, so if I'm doing longer sessions I'll need to sort out my feeding strategy.

Riding is a bit more suitable for flapjacks and the like that can settle in the stomach more comfortably than when running, but they do need more water at the same time.

The main risk is idiot cage dwellers who seem to think that a close pass is safe.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I'm reading and cheering everyone on mentally, just struggling to find time to compose a response for everyone, so I'll go with the "good running everyone!" ;)

My runs have been a bit mixed lately, with odd mojo and life interfering. Todays run was both great and horrible. Great for a few new trails, although some I won't use by myself again, because technically we shouldn't have been running there. Horrendous as the accumulated fatigue in my legs had me walking nearly all the uphills, and with the group I was running with, this meant I was left in the dust as they powered along. I even struggled to make ground on the downhills where I normally excel. Hope I can head out with that group again soon, they're on the next level above me, so will push me towards where I need to be. As for the accumulated fatigue, I worked out I've done just over 880km in the last 11 weeks.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I always feel do encouraged when I see everyone just keep moving forward with their training
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I ran the Space City 10 Miler today. Despite my 8 mile run last weekend, I was still a bit nervous that I would gas out (or worse) on this one. Thankfully, it went much better than I expected!! Official times aren't posted but my Runkeeper says I ran 10.13 miles in 1:46:39 with an average pace of 10:32 min/mi. Looking at the splits, I kept my 10 min (and change) pace throughout...no going out too fast and then paying for it later. I teared up a little at the end...getting closer to that half marathon goal every day!!!

Here's me kissing the bling :)
    ldcb85bnfxni.jpg
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Awesome!