What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• cartow
    cartow Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow--what a great group of serious readers. I just got _The Book of Lost Things_ for my book group, and I recently finished _Girl on a Train__seriously creepy (and fun). Looking for new reader friends on MFP, so "friend" me, readers!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just finished Infinite Jest, finally! I'm going to Iceland in a month, so I'm reading Icelandic literature, which there is a lot of, since Iceland has the highest number of authors per capita in the world. I've downloaded a trashy horror novel, "I Remember You: A Ghost Story," and "Egil's Saga," both set in Iceland.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I loved Infinite Jest. What did you think of it, lithezebra?

I recently obtained a copy of Independent People, which I believe is set in Iceland. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet but it sounds interesting.
  • Watson_20
    Watson_20 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Finders Keepers by Stephen King. It's the 2nd book of a trilogy. So far I love the book. "Mr. Mercedes" is the 1st book in the trilogy, then "Finders Keepers", the 3rd and final book is called "End or Watch" (no release date yet). I can't wait for the 3rd book to come out.
  • Ante_Up
    Ante_Up Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    After reading the reviews of fellow readers, I have just checked out and started reading "The Book Thief", by Markus Zusak.
  • iLeela75
    iLeela75 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Finished Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver. Now reading Sweet Valley Confidential - 10 years later by Francine Pascal. Not liking it much, but I am doing a reading challenge and using it as the prompt for a book with bad reviews. :smile:
  • duchess52
    duchess52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I know they started years ago but are new to me. I am on book 5, The Fiery Cross. I am really enjoying this series. It has history, love, war, romance, wit and very interesting characters.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ima_L0ser wrote: »
    Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

I just read this too. I loved it!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I've been a Terry Brooks fan for decades, particularly his Shannara series of fantasy books. (In fact, he was my biggest inspiration when I wrote my own fantasy novel.) But for whatever reason, I never read his prequel trilogy of books, the Genesis of Shannara books, which are supposed to take place "today", or thousands of years before the events of the rest of the series (which are in the distant future after some calamity destroys technology and makes room for magic to take over).

But when I took my daughter to the book store and encouraged her to try new series, she told me to do the same. This is my compromise; my favorite author, but a new trilogy I've not read before. We'll see how it is.
  • RunDaddyRunx2
    RunDaddyRunx2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm on the final book of the Enderverse. I highly recommend them.

Also, the Martian is awesome
  • PaytraB
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I recently finished two books:
    Timbuktu by Paul Auster, which I thought was really well done. I haven't read Auster's books before and will look up some of his others now.
    Blood And Bone by Chris Bathory. This is an interesting murder mystery book with a touch of humour. It's a little bit like the Stephanie Plum books but with more detail to the murder and less romance but still keeping the humour.
  • iLeela75
    iLeela75 Posts: 21 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Currently - Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen and The Shining, by Stephen King.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    The Secret Books of Paradys I & II by Tanith Lee. Her writing style is gorgeously descriptive.
  • Sphinx8888
    Sphinx8888 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII by David Starkey (would definitely recommend), Pedro Paramo by Juan Rulfo (purposely highly disjointed but very interesting), and Computer Programming for Dummies.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am reading a Test of Wills. I just finished the Latest Louise Penny: The Nature of the Beast. One of her best of the series.
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I loved the new Armand Gamache too, KeriA! :smile:
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm in the midst of a YA and middle-grade fiction kick. Currently reading The Boy Who Lost Fairyland - #4 in Catherynne Valente's Fairyland series. I loved the first one but didn't care for the second two. This fourth one, though, is actually pretty cute. Not much in the way of a plot, but the characters are rich and interesting enough to make up for the weak story.
  • PaytraB
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I enjoy the Inspector Gamache series, too....but not so much this last one. Despite that, I'm still looking forward to the next book.

I'm currently reading Almanac Of The Dead by Leslie Marmon Silko. Dark, but very good so far.
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Now I'm on Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. It's wonderful! Quite a spunky little narrator with lots of mystery and intrigue.
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    After You by Jojo Moyes. It's the sequel to You Before Me.