Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i enjoy reading all the updates, but am so short of time these days i can't respond individually. your updates are what keep me motivated at the moment.

i'm struggling. i have yet to find my "happy place". i really, really enjoyed the C25K structure and then the zenlabs 10K program was also right up my alley. now that i've completed both, and without the desire to move forward to longer distances, i am lost with what to do with myself.

i tried a few 10K improver programs, but don't have the time to commit to 1.5 hour training sessions. as a result my running frequency has really tapered off, and i'm losing some of the progress i made this summer doing the zenlabs 10K program. it was tough on my knees and ankles, but did i ever LOVE getting out three times a week for an hour each time.

i went out for another 5k run today. i managed a little faster pace, but stopping to answer a call (who does that?) skewed my time a bit. my heart rate peaked at 171 bpm - i was pretty red in the face when my 29 minutes were up.

i'm trying to commit to runs on tuesdays, thursdays and sundays . . . hope to get at least one 10K in each week.

i need summer weather and long daylight hours back.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great work everyone!
    @LLduds you're rocking your races! :)

@maggiekat7 There is absolutely nothing wrong, (and actually a lot of right!) with just heading out for an hours run 3 times a week. You can still do stuff to help you improve, but at this point just the consistent running will help you improve a lot.
    If you really need a program, you could go back to C25K, but instead of run/walk this time, do faster & slower running. So keep the pace stupidly easy for the 'walk' breaks and then pick it up to say 10k pb pace, or maybe even 5k. I'm suggesting the slower fast paces as your body is still strengthening joints and tendons etc.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Well last weeks attempt at starting taper was.... mildly successful. I managed to drop my 'mileage' to 75k last week. The reduced workload has definitely had an effect though (a long with the training) as I set a new 5k PB on Saturday at parkrun of 21:07. That's a 9s improvement on my overall 5k pb, and a 53s improvement on my pb for that course!
    Sunday was a nice 22k trail run with a group of friends as a recon for the 47k trail race most of us are doing at the end of the year. Saturday night is my big race.... I'm getting both nervous and excited when I think about it!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ran 38 min straight. I thought i was going fast but i wasn't just my regular 12:30 with some 11:00. le sigh. I know speed will come but I'm tired of waiting. I see beginners with time faster than mine and sometimes it feels discouraging.
    Saturday I ran with my step-daughter to be and ran 3.5 which was not part of my plan, 6.5 yesterday which was actually scheduled for saturday but daughter wasn't up for that-she is a sprinter not a distance runner. and then this morning i ran 3.03 but should have done 3.5 according to my plan.

tomorrow is 4.5mi. looking forward to rest day on Weds but it's nice to know i can do all that mileage. makes the HM more reasonable in my head

@taeliesyn cool on the 5k and good luck on the big race.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @maggiekat7 Hang in there. Just running 3 days a week should help. I find that I run better if I have a plan.
    @taeliesyn tapered to 75k last week :neutral: Wow! Great job on the 5k pb!
    @moyer566 You are doing great. I keep saying don't worry about pace, it will come. So I'm leaving this here for you:
    k9qrmrzbli20.jpg
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I'm confident and trust the process, i just want to be faster. now.
    but i know that isn't how it works
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    @Just_Ceci - I didn't know you lived in Texas! Where abouts did you live?
    And thanks for the support everyone! I've been signing up for a lot of races, and I think my Facebook friends are getting tired of hearing about it!! LOL!!!!
    My 40th birthday is coming up in Jan 2016 and I think I'm going to try a new challenge: Run 50 Before 50 (a marathon in each US state before I turn 50). What do you all think? :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    @Just_Ceci - I didn't know you lived in Texas! Where abouts did you live?
    And thanks for the support everyone! I've been signing up for a lot of races, and I think my Facebook friends are getting tired of hearing about it!! LOL!!!!
    My 40th birthday is coming up in Jan 2016 and I think I'm going to try a new challenge: Run 50 Before 50 (a marathon in each US state before I turn 50). What do you all think? :)

I lived just north of Houston, grew up in the Piney Woods.

I think you should check out the Fifty States Marathon Club. 5 Marathons per year for 10 years. You could do it! Scheduling would be the key!
  • LLduds
    Options
    I sent a request to join the 50 States Marathon Club's Facebook group....looks like they have a lot of active members so it will be a good resource for race suggestions. I can't submit an actual club application until I've done a marathon in at least 10 different states, so I guess that will be a couple years down the road :) Exciting!! I'm looking at March for my first marathon here locally...a friend and I are considering doing the Flying Pig in Cincinnati, Ohio, in May :)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    too tired. run tomorrow. switched rest days.
    oh that seems really cool @Just_Ceci
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran speed intervals with the local running store yesterday. We ran a ladder- intervals of 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 800, 600, 500, 400, 300, 200, and 100 with 30 seconds rest and 10 pushups in between. (I did squats since my shoulder won't let me do pushups.) He wanted us to run the 100 - 500's at 1 mile pace, the 600 and 800's at desired 5k pace, then the last 500 - 100's at 1 mile pace. I did the 800 in 4:37, so that would be pretty blazing 5k pace for me! My overall pace for the total run was 8:33, not including the rests. If only I could take 30 second rests during a race without that counting against me! :wink:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    medium run, though it felt like a long run.
  • LLduds
    Options
    I overslept this morning and didn't do my scheduled 5 mile run, soooo I guess I know what I'm doing after work!
    I signed up for the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon in New Orleans on 2/28. I actually signed up for the half marathon, not the full, since I won't be done with my marathon training until mid-March. I'll be arriving in NOLA on a Thursday evening, but the race isn't until Sunday morning...I figure that gives me some time to look around/get in some trouble...LOL! This will be my first official "run-cation"!!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    same route, felt much better. still feels like a long run. feeling a little intimidate by the 6.5 for saturday.

at first, i was all disappointed that my time was not the same as the race route i will be running for the turkey trot, but then i realized i do hills on my regular runs and have to watch for traffic and other people and be careful not to trip. so then i feel better. the route is relatively flat. and either way, I will still finish before they close the route and that is really my goal. my stretch goal is to do it in 54min.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Only had time for a couple of miles yesterday. Better than nothing.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    no running. yoga night. running tomorrow. idk if i'll make the whole six and a half miles without stopping. but I guess i'll find out
  • mbaker566
    Options
    So I did 7 miles today. In 92 min even with some walking. I'm so proud of myself. 20 weeks ago I couldn't run a mile.
    Maybe next weekend I will be able to run the whole thing
  • LLduds
    Options
    Good work @moyer566 !! I didn't run this morning...this was supposed to be a rest day with a planned 10K event tomorrow. However, given the issues with the weather in/around Houston, it now seems likely that my 10K will be cancelled due to anticipated flooding. So maybe I'll pop out for a quick run in the rain...or maybe I'll just go lift weights :)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Rain runs are nice
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Good work @moyer566
    @LLduds 50 marathons before 50! Incredible goal! Go for it!!!
    I went shopping today for some new running gear...waiting to try them out tmrw :)