Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    slow 3 miles. tomorrow i speed up for 4.5
    now that i'm working on this whole HM plan i understand why rest days are so important.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Good work everyone!
    @moyer566 You'll be fine with your race next weekend, the race atmosphere does wonders! And once you're through your HM plan, you'll find your speed at short distances has improved :)

@LLduds If you are smart with your training and your build up. Listen to your body and treat the niggles as they appear, rather than trying to run them out; your 50 by 50 is easily do-able. As long as you simply -run- most of them, and only race 1 or 2 a year. That's once you've got your marathon legs too.

@Just_Ceci Keep those intervals up, and that 800 pace will eventually be your 5k pace!

I tapered well last week for my race, running a tiny (for me) 20k in the lead up for the race. As for the race....
    I finished 11th overall (9th Male) and about a 6 minute PB over last year. Official finish time of 1:07:54.2 Despite that, I finished race feeling dejected and just not happy with how I ran it. I definitely blew up on the first hill and that just stuffed my head space and it honestly took the next several km for both my head and legs to get back into the run, there were a few downhill sections where I just couldn't get my rhythm and that didn't help the head space. I wasn't feeling 100% before the race started either. I'm not sure if that was from lunch way earlier or pre-race nerves or what.
    Looking at Strava & Garmin for the run, verses last year I can see I ran a lot better on most parts, but I'm still BLAH over the run. Guess that happens some times.
    Sunday after only a few hours sleep I was back on the trails with friends doing a recon run of the 1st half of the 6 inch course. Started off feeling ok, but it didn't take long before my legs were reminding me that I hammered them the night before. Still it was a great day out on the trails.
    Monday I was suffering DOMS from hell, but still got out for a short recovery run, which did double duty as the dogs run too. Legs are still pretty tender today, although I'm thinking about intervals this arvo.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @taeliesyn I'm lucky, no race until thanksgiving :sweat_smile: 8k. Maybe looking back you'll feel better about the race.

I train at that right now 2 days a week with the HM plan. This weekend I'll probably run with my stepdaughter(to be) but she is 13 and hasn't learned to pace. She has said she'd like to do a 5k with me but she just doesn't have the distance yet. She is a great sprinter though.

Today I ran my 4.86mi. It felt good. Runkeeper is a great tool.
    Dog comes with me on all but my long runs. i pooped her out this morning. I never thought I would see a border collie mix tired.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn You amaze me! Great job on the pb!

@moyer566 at 13, your sd could probably run the 5k without much training, even if she had to walk some of it. You should find one to do with her, so you'll both have a goal race to aim for.

I had a good day of running yesterday, finally! I ran a 3 mile "warmup" run, walked about a mile, then ran speed intervals with the local running store. The intervals were 5 x 1k (800m at 5k pace, 200m at 1 mi pace) with 60 seconds and 12 squats between. I ended up with an 8:40 pace (MapMyRun) or 8:52 (Strava) on the running intervals. Either way, I'm happy with that! I even ran an extra couple of laps (not tracked) so my friend wouldn't have to finish up alone. (It was because of me that she came to run, so it was the least I could do!)
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Thanks moyer & Ceci, looking back at the race I ran it at a startlingly consistent exertion level according to my HRM data, average HR for each KM split (Excluding the first and last) were all within 5bpm, and the max HR for the splits didn't vary by much more either. I doubt I'll ever be happy with the race, but it was a good learning experience.

@moyer566 I lose track of events like thanksgiving etc, as we don't have it in Aus, and I have Canadian friends too, so there is two of them. Still you'll rock your race when you get there! If you get your SD to stick with you, and you pace her. She probably will do 5k (Damn kids!)

@Just_Ceci WHOOO! Keep up the good work :)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    We have her this weekend and I'll ask her if she wants to do one. We'll see if she wants to do some winter running. We'll have to get her something better than Vans to run in.

Rest day. usually this means yoga but we have SDs concert tonight. I won't have a chance to do anything before I need to leave or even when i get home. Tomorrow another 4.5.

@Just_Ceci good runs are good :)

@taeliesyn good learning experiences are good too.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    getting to learn to run in cruddy weather. super windy blowing at me for the longest stretch of my run with hills, raining with flurries, and cold-30fish. I know that there will be a time in the near future I'll wish for such pleasant conditions but it was a rough 5 miles. kept mostly on pace despite all of it which I'm proud of but I still feel chilled to the bone 2 hours later.
    How does warm up quickly from such conditions?
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    getting to learn to run in cruddy weather. super windy blowing at me for the longest stretch of my run with hills, raining with flurries, and cold-30fish. I know that there will be a time in the near future I'll wish for such pleasant conditions but it was a rough 5 miles. kept mostly on pace despite all of it which I'm proud of but I still feel chilled to the bone 2 hours later.

Hot shower. I make sure I have a good thermal layer to keep me warmer while I'm running in the cold, too. But definitely jump in a hot shower as soon as I get in.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

Hot shower. I make sure I have a good thermal layer to keep me warmer while I'm running in the cold, too. But definitely jump in a hot shower as soon as I get in.

Hot shower (or bath) and a good hot meal. I like my meat pies, but stews/soup type things work well too.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I live in Texas and I only started running in June, so cold weather is a problem I haven't had. It was really windy and stormy last weekend due to Hurricane Patricia, but I just stayed indoors ;)

Where are you @ftrobbie? Check in...have been hoping you're doing ok!!!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    Yeah, I live in Texas and I only started running in June, so cold weather is a problem I haven't had. It was really windy and stormy last weekend due to Hurricane Patricia, but I just stayed indoors ;)

Where are you @ftrobbie? Check in...have been hoping you're doing ok!!!

Sorry holiday got in the way, got back Wednesday. Spent the days before going on vacation trying to clear the decks at work so long days and no exercise. Made me a very dull boy :'( . Thanks for the nudge to post.

So had a run around Central Park while away, I've had less company on UK races/ time trials (5k parkruns, HMs and FM). Also got some dreadmill running and stationary biking done. Knee is fine but I confused an all you can eat buffet as if I needed to try and eat it all
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Clearly being jet lagged has meant deleting the majority of a post somehow. Oops
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    To finish

Have gained 22 lbs whilst on vacation mainly due to
    pastries at breakfast
    creme pat doughnuts
    3 hot meals a day
    fruit smoothies during the day
    cocktails through the afternoon until bedtime

Clearly all the ziplining, basketball, volleyball, dreadmilling and stationary biking was never going to undo all of the damage above. So despite being 190-200 lbs for the last year (down from 280), I can still trough and am not truly reformed. Unless I keep a tight check on what I eat, then I can still revert back to old Rob. Clearly my old habits are still stronger than my new ones. One advantage though is that I know what I need to do to get back to 190-200 lbs.

Body clock all over the place at the moment but had a look at the activity while I was away, some great motivational posts

@LLduds Go for the 50 marathons in 10 years, it's doable and what a great goal to set and what a wonderful way to celebrate getting to your golden years, I hadn't done one before I got to 50.

@moyer566 I never got comfortable last winter with being hot enough at the start without being too hot at the end. I finished my winter sessions with a shower, some hot oatmeal with protein powder and a mug of tea. It helped me warm up pretty quickly. I think the key for me was having some dry clothes to change into as soon as I got through the door, so not hanging around in cold wet gear.

@maggiekat7 running 3 days a week is fine, I find having a written down plan helps me to remain accountable to me. Having it in my head it seems so easy to skip a session. But you need to find what works for you.

@taeliesyn great work on the 5k pb, and the fact you have DOMS suggests to me that you pushed really hard, perhaps not as hard as you wanted to, but hard all the same. So don't be so hard on yourself buddy, so have pushed so many boundaries over the last 3 months I am amazed that you are still going. Well done.

So plans for me at the moment, off road duathlon in 8 days time, followed by a 16 week 10k plan (need to improve speed) before engaging in the training plan for the 69 mile ultra in June next year.

Hope your running and cycling go well and enjoy the weekend

• mbaker566
    Options
    rest day. got some yoga planned for later.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Ran (well, mostly walked) a practice 5k with my Girls on the Run group yesterday, then headed over to the local track for speed intervals with my Girls Bike group, with at least a mile "warmup) in between. We ran 2x100, 2x200, and 2x300 at mile pace.
  • LLduds
    Options
    OK, I LOL'd at this one: "but I confused an all you can eat buffet as if I needed to try and eat it all". Yes, I believe we've all probably been there, done that a time or 2 :) Glad to hear you've been enjoying life, @ftrobbie !!

I ran 4 miles this morning. My first half marathon is just a little over 2 weeks away!!!! This weekend I am running the Texas10 Katy 10 miler, so it will be my long run of the week.

Happy weekend to all!!!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @LLduds good luck :)
  • LLduds
    Options
    @LLduds good luck :)

Thank you!!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    ....This weekend I am running the Texas10 Katy 10 miler, so it will be my long run of the week.

Enjoy the 10 miler, you are going to fly on your HM in 2 weeks time, just take it easy in the lead up to it. The training is done, trust the training. And have fun.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Got a 50 mile bike ride done today picking the car up from work, took a bit of a long route to get to it though. Pleased that I got it done, but it was hard work, managed to average just over 15mph so pleased with the solo effort.