Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran yesterday- 6.75 miles in 1:08:23 in the rain. It was glorious! PR'd the course!

Today's bike ride was just as fantastic- 35.33 miles. If only every day was like today!
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I ran in the Texas10 Katy 10 miler yesterday! It was a really rainy day but the wind wasn't too bad. I was soaked and freezing cold by the time I got done, but overall it was a smooth race. Flat course, but a bit boring due to the fact that it was a 5 mile loop that we repeated twice. I had some right shin pain for the first couple miles and got a little nervous, but it worked itself out. Official times are still pending, but my gun time at the finish line was 1:47 so it will probably work out to almost the exact same time as my last 10 miler :)

Here's the bling:

bx5iaudvcasp.jpg
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    nothing exciting. SD didn't run with me. She has injured herself by doing too much. Her dr told her to slow down. so easy 3.8 miles on saturday morning. ok pace.
    today i pushed a little harder and got my time down to 45min for 3.7miles.
    tomorrow is another 4.5mi
    I broke my rule of not looking ahead. this weekend is 8.5 miles. :scream:
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Logging back in after a few of the worst months of my life. I had completed C25K over the summer, and had run my first 5k in 20 years in July. I moved on to the Zenlabs 10k app, and then my world kind of fell apart. Aug. 1st, my 18 yr old step son passed away suddenly due to an unexplained cardiac arrest. In the weeks following, we didn't eat much at all, maybe one meal a day, which led me to drop about ten lbs, but I also stopped running. I've tried to get back to it several times in the past few weeks, but just haven't been able to get back into a routine. We also started eating again, and I unfortunately ate whatever I wanted whenever and gained all ten lbs right back.

Now, it's time to get back at it. After another weekend of eating poorly and not getting off my butt to exercise, I woke up feeling pretty crappy. Then, I went with a group of work friends for a jog at lunch today. I am disappointed that I let my fitness go, and struggled to run today, but I did it. I only ran 2.5 miles, and was very slow, but I did it. My group at work is going to train together in hopes of being ready to run the Broad Street 10 miler in May, and I am going to do my best to join them. I was just getting to the point that I was starting to actually look forward to run days, so I hope that I can get back there quickly.

One question- do you all think that it is possible to be prepared to run a 5k this weekend over a very flat course? I registered for it six months ago, and had put it out of my head until today thinking that there was no way I would be able to do it with all the time off I've taken. While I am definitely feeling today's run, I am debating doing the 5k on Saturday and just taking my time, just to get myself motivated again. I do thank all of you for how you motivate each other- reading your posts over the last few weeks is what has gotten me fired up to get back on board!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @KRPolo So sorry for your loss. I think if you go into the 5k with the idea that walking some of it won't be a bad thing, you should be able to do it. Make your only goal to finish the 5k. Walk as much as you need to. Have fun and don't hurt yourself.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @KRPolo So sorry for your loss. I agree with Ceci, if you take the 5k as an experience and not a race I think you'll be fine.

@LLduds Nice Bling and well done on your 10miler :)

@moyer566 Bugger about your SD, hope it doesn't take too long for her to recover. You'll be fine with your runs! Just remember to slow down if you need to.

@Just_Ceci You're doing well! Keep up those intervals and you'll keep the PR's coming.

@ftrobbie It's always easy to over induldge when travelling, especially when on holidays and you're presented with buffets etc. Your riding is going great, glad your knee has been going ok on the runs you've done. When you do your 69mile Ultra next year, you'll have a longer longest race than me!
    Thanks for the words about Moonshadow. I know I ran fairly hard, but I also know I could have ran the back 4km a lot harder than I did. Just means I have unfinished business to attend to hopefully next year. Although it's only 3weeks after I'm hoping to have done 100miles, so not sure about next year lol.

Runs have been ok for me, took the better part of last week to fully recover from Moonshadow. Had a good trail run on Sunday, and I have my 6hr race/run this weekend, hoping the McMillian extrapolation from 5k time to 50mile pace is accurate (year right!) As going by that, I should be able to run 5:40/9:08 pace for just over 7.5hrs, which means holding it for 6 shouldn't be too hard LOL
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    @KRPolo So sorry for your loss and hugs...The 5k will motivate you; take it slowly as the others have suggested.
    @LLduds nice collection of blings
    @Just_Ceci @taelisyn @ftrobbie @moyer566 You are all really inspiring, the way you keep going at it. Great work!
    I haven't been doing much running lately...More grim news...a dead body was discovered in the trails that I run in! That completely spooked me and I am staying well away from that place. There is nowhere else to run except on the pavements and it is quite risky currently with the fog and darkness. I'm continuing my strength training and keeping my cardiac fitness by doing HIIT, plyometrics and circuit training. I have signed up for a few running challenges for the next 8 weeks, so hopefully can get back on track.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @KRPolo so sorry for your loss. You can run the 5k, you are unlikely to be able to race it. You may want to consider a run walk strategy ala C25k (4min run 1 min walk) and depending on how good you feel extend or shorten the run intervals or if you remember W5D3, just run slower. The important point to me is that you enjoy it and then use that as a springboard to get back into looking after your health. Good luck and best wishes.

@LLduds nice bling, great going, I am glad your are enjoying the racing.

@moyer566 every run does not want to be better than the last, improvement comes from rest and easy days. Hard days push the boundaries but as a result should be done sparingly. You need the recovery.

@Just_Ceci nice running and riding, I always like seeing how you keep pushing yourself. It helps me be accountable ;)

@taeliesyn look forward to reading you finishing the business at Moonshadow, good luck with the 6 hour race this weekend (as if you would only "run" it) :p

@samra338 Ooo :s Glad you have found another outlet for your energy. Hope you can get to find somewhere you feel safe and comfortable running.

Not much from me, a 5 mile run yesterday morning in dense fog, visibility 20metres or so. Felt really good but when I checked the results it was a solid recovery pace session but with heart rate in the zone above. Will see what more training does. Also got a slowish 13 mile bike ride done in better visibility (40 metres) later in the day. It was ok but mainly stayed on cycle paths/ farm tracks, glad I decided not to commute by bike yesterday, too dangerous

Have fun with your training
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @KRPolo So sorry, I can't even imagine how I would react. I think a 5k would be fine. Just focus on the completion. Maybe consider bringing something of your son's so you can carry him with you
    @samra338 Eek. Bodies are found down by Lake Michigan but I don't run down there very often.

Every one is doing so well. It inspires me to keep pushing even when it's hard. I've got a sore throat and I almost skipped but that's all that's wrong with me so I went out for my run. Then, my phone restarted about a half mile thru so I did about 4.8 and I kept it under 12min/mi for most of it. I figure I'll burn any viruses away with the running, either way I'm sick whether I sit on my butt or go for a run. Might as well run.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Another disappointing 5 miler tonight. Another solid recovery run paced session (10:11 pace) but HR still up in the 9:30 HM pace region. Clearly the vacation took a bigger toll than I anticipated. More training required, may get a light bike ride tomorrow night followed by a scouting trip around the duathlon course Friday.

Have fun
  • mbaker566
    Options
    sick days, no runs. I'm sad. i was really hoping to be well enough to run this morning. Hopefully, i can pull off my 8.5 on saturday
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Ran 5k yesterday after work- 30:23. My running buddy from work has decided that we should go for a ten mile run on Saturday. I've created a monster. :p
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Ran 5k yesterday after work- 30:23. My running buddy from work has decided that we should go for a ten mile run on Saturday. I've created a monster. :p

Good way to remain accountable though. Well done on luring another poor soul into the benefits of the runners high ;)
  • LLduds
    Options
    Ran 3 miles yesterday and this morning...tomorrow I have a 5 mile run. My rest day is Saturday, then my Hal Higdon HM trainer has me doing my final long run on Sunday...12 miles. After that is a week-long taper, then my HM on 11/15.

Did anyone else experience a stall in their weight loss during long distance running training? I'm still eating at a deficit and log everything I eat; by all accounts (numbers on MFP and Fitbit) I should still be losing. I know I'm becoming more fit and continue to lift weights as well as run, but it's just so strange. I'm still technically 10 lbs overweight (by BMI standards) so I'm confused and a bit frustrated. I've seen my primary care doctor and nothing strange going on with my thyroid; he had no idea what's up with me. Thoughts?
  • mbaker566
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    Ran 3 miles yesterday and this morning...tomorrow I have a 5 mile run. My rest day is Saturday, then my Hal Higdon HM trainer has me doing my final long run on Sunday...12 miles. After that is a week-long taper, then my HM on 11/15.

Did anyone else experience a stall in their weight loss during long distance running training? I'm still eating at a deficit and log everything I eat; by all accounts (numbers on MFP and Fitbit) I should still be losing. I know I'm becoming more fit and continue to lift weights as well as run, but it's just so strange. I'm still technically 10 lbs overweight (by BMI standards) so I'm confused and a bit frustrated. I've seen my primary care doctor and nothing strange going on with my thyroid; he had no idea what's up with me. Thoughts?

Maybe water retention. because of all the muscle repair or whatever the scientific reason is when we up our fitness activities.
    Either that you're building up to your woosh. I wooshed 6lbs over the last two days after getting stuck for a month. (which seems to be my cycle)
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    LLduds wrote: »

Maybe water retention. because of all the muscle repair or whatever the scientific reason is when we up our fitness activities.
    Either that you're building up to your woosh. I wooshed 6lbs over the last two days after getting stuck for a month. (which seems to be my cycle)

I stopped tracking food long ago, it got scary seeing what I had to eat to balance out my long runs O.o
    I'm pretty sure I did stall though. I tend to agree with moyer, it's probably water retention, both from muscle usage and possibly also from higher electrolyte intake (if you're using electrolytes). I know after some of my stupid runs, such as my 12hr, it took 3 or 4 days before I wooshed the weight.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @samra338 That is kinda freaky, maybe look for a running group that you could head to your trails with? Glad you're staying active.

@ftrobbie If the run felt good, don't stress about the HR numbers mate. You'll find your fitness back in no time as long as you keep at it.
    As for this weekends 'race' I'm not racing it like I raced Moonshadow. If 1hr of racing took nearly a full week to recover from, 6hrs would stuff me completely :P And I've only got 5 weeks after this, until my next trail ultra. I'm using it more as a gauge to try and see how much I'll suffer in about 11weeks when I go run 100k.

@moyer566 Rest up, use cold and flu tabs/vitamins if you need to, but be smart about your 8.5. If it's a headcold you can suffer through without much repercussions, if it's in your chest; just don't risk it.

@Just_Ceci Robbie is right, great way to remain accountable! Have a cookie for luring another to the dark side :D

@LLduds Good work on your runs, and you'll do great at your HM :)

Lets see for me, Monday & Wednesday was just running with the dog, Tuesday was a shortened social run. Well the social run part wasn't shortened, but I didn't do my usual 10-15k before the social stuff. Last night I tried out my new Hill Rep workout.
    100m up at 5:30min/km (or faster pace) Rest/Recover until HR > 120
    100m back down at 4:15 (or faster) Rest/Recover until HR > 120
    Repeat 9 times. Then do a 10th rep without distance. If I push past 100m holding pace I'll know it's time to increase rep distance, most likely to whatever distance I push to.
    I only did 2 reps as I didn't want to wreck myself before the weekend.
    I discovered that trying to get back down to a HR of 120bpm just isn't practical. First rest was 3:22, second was 5:04, 3rd rest period.... well I gave up waiting after 13:25. I got as low as 124bpm, but any movement including swatting the blood sucking mosquitoes sent me back to the mid 130s. So workout has been adjusted to have rest period end when I'm below 130 and I'll see how that goes. (Hopefully next week)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    another rest day. We'll see how i feel in the morning. otherwise, I'll just repeat this weeks training next week. no big deal. well, sorta because I'm itching to run. But I am feeling much better.
    (i wooshed back up. booooooo. nsv: my belt is on the last notch and i couldn't do that yesterday at 6lb lighter-go figure. bodies are weird)
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I sort of ran yesterday with my Girls on the Run group. The 5th grader I was running with tends to want to walk pretty often, but is getting better. She won't have any problem finishing the 5k in 2 weeks!
  • LLduds
    Options
    I guess I should have mentioned that my weight has been holding steady for about 10 weeks. I've kind of lost hope for a whoosh at this point. I seem to be maintaining at 1650/day, when all calculations have my maintenance at 2000-2100. I don't want to freak out and make a drastic cut because I don't want my running to suffer, but man, this is some B.S.!!! My BMR is supposedly 1350 so I really don't have much wiggle room (I'm only 5'3"). I'm not exactly sitting around obsessing about it but it doesn't make any sense so it is frustrating.