Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    3300 yards in 75 minutes, a new PR for distance and pace.

@NoelFigart1 -- do you use a special suit for open water?
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    No I didn't swim today.

Went to see my doctor who is appalled at the decision to not cover my injury. He is doing a retrospective further claim for my accident last year (which I actually have a video of so what more proof could there be?!) Hoping common sense prevails and they review my case with a favourable outcome.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Emma, it sounds totally cut and dry!! I hope they find someone smart and sensible who has the authority to make a good decision in your favor.

I did a mile today. First timed mile ever. Slow- 47 min, but now I have a baseline if I want to improve!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well done on your mile girls with curls.

Missed yesterday due to not sleeping. Back in the pool this morning doing mix back, breast and free. I find doing that gets my heart rate up much more due to the changing strokes and muscle group use so I think I will keep this up for a bit longer.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    4,150 m in 90 min. Had hoped to do a 5km but ran out of daylight in a pool with no lights.
    Was on pace for a 110 min 5 km which I'm happy about.
    Also now aware that I can probably sustain, with difficulty, the 67.5 strokes per minute through 2 hours of swimming, which was good to discover.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Big swim today-- 3600 yds in about 90 minutes--half a mile over my usual 2700!
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Oh mercy. 90 minute swims. Great work, people! I wish I had 90 minutes. I suppose if this Night Owl ever became a Early Bird, she could fit 90 minutes in before work, lol. I miss my morning swims. Maybe I'll push myself to try that again this winter. Ooof, hard to get out of bed in winter though...
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Well done on the mile Curly - nothing wrong with the time at all in my book (!). Glad you have found your mojo Panda, and are having success with the stroke rate AQ.

So my swim today was a lot better than yesterday's (er, the one that got squeezed out...) and was nice in that the Pool was fairly quiet (even the teenage masters were calmer than usual..) Just did 1 K but nearly half was 'sprints'. Tho obviously my sprint is another person's cool down....( Doing 56sec for 50m free, and about 1 min 40 secs breast/. 1 min 20 sec back). Still I was pleased I did it.

If you at doing a session of full out sprints - how long do you leave between sprints? I was allowing a minute or so to let my heart calm down...
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Back in the water today after a couple of weeks away
    2000m, 61 minutes, 26 sprint lengths, mixed strokes
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Back in swim lessons for 5 weeks-10 sessions. Let the chaos begin.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Last night's swim:
    400 8x50 one slow one fast (55 sec)
    700 4x(50+25+100) 25 max speed
    400 2x200 on 3:30
    400 4x100 kick
    400 8x50 backstroke 1:00, internal build up(start the 50 at 75%, end it all out)
    200 cool down

3000m total in about 75 minutes.
    I post them in the morning because I usually get home around 11:30 pm and don't feel like logging on.

Practice is from 9 to 10:30pm. I thought it would be hard to get out the door and get motivated at this hour but it hasn't been too bad. Sometimes I come back wide awake others I'm exhausted, but either way I sleep great!

gently, those intervals sound about right. You don't want your heart rate to get completely back to normal though. Somebody posted a really good article about it when Stephen asked I think but can't find it. Here is one though
    http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_swim/tno_swimarticle_06.asp
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Well done on the mile Curly - nothing wrong with the time at all in my book (!).
    If you at doing a session of full out sprints - how long do you leave between sprints? I was allowing a minute or so to let my heart calm down...

Setting rest intervals depends mainly on what your goal is, and what % effort you are wanting to swim the sprints at if that makes sense.

For example sometimes we do large number of repeats having to hold a certain pace for all of them. Or we do say 12 50s at race pace with 20s rest in between. Or sets of maximum speed with longer rest for lactate tolerance.

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Ran a very slow and difficult 14 km on some very steep hills this morning.
    First time to run anything above6 or 7 km in at least a decade.
    I have real doubts about a 21 km in 2 weeks time.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow, AQ. That's scary when you feel so much doubt coming in to an event!

1100y, though I am not sure the exact time. I forgot to charge my watch. I just called it an average for that distance (31 minutes) and called it good.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Swam for 45 minutes mixed sets including kick sets with fins. Did some sprints at times substantially slower than last week. Not sure if my form was off or that nobody was swimming next to me to make me go faster! I rested about 25-30 seconds between them. Just enough that I wasn't gasping for air but my heart hadn't really slowed down yet.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Early morning workout-- 2700 y / ~72 minutes. Travelling so won't be back in the water until next Thursday, but I'll try to find some other way to keep active while I'm on the road.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ran a very slow and difficult 14 km on some very steep hills this morning.
    First time to run anything above 6 or 7 km in at least a decade.
    I have real doubts about a 21 km in 2 weeks time.
    @AquaticQuests Is the course fairly flat or is it hilly?
    If it is flat your 14 km Hills will probably translate to 20% more so you have proven the capacity for ~ 17km already
    A slow pace is the way to do it - slow down your pace and stretch out the time a little bit. I believe you can do it. Your cardiovascular capacity from swimming definitely helps. Try to get 2 more long runs in - but when you are in the last 7 days nothing longer than 7km. Last 3-4 days max one 3 km run. Let the legs rest/recover/heal.

If you want to add some running as part of long term plan come and join us in the Running Group.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10276603/november-2015-running-challenge#latest.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Not too sure of the distance, but over a mile, I suppose, given that I just timed my mile. It was a busy place, but there was a gal I've swum with before. She's very friendly and helpful. She is a lifelong swimmer, competing since age 6 <gasp>. She gave me some tips which was awfully nice of her. It's nice to have someone who can see you swim and tell you what you can work on in the moment, or how to change something to make form better.

65 minutes, all freestyle (It's the only stroke I know!)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    its been awhile folks but recovering from achilles injury somewhat in the pool.
    nice to see everyone thriviing.
    tregards
    clive
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1650y 47:59 Not my most brilliant swim ever. I was underslept having been woken several times last night with nightmares about big honkin' Great White sharks.

Not a fun time for an open water swimmer...