Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Oh, @baconslave- I feel your pain. I really do. I know you've been at this for a long time and know your strengths and weaknesses, but I have to aske you, is this true physical hunger?? Could you be trying to soothe yourself since your not feeling well?? I, too have been looking to almonds and macadamias lately. I don't feel really hungry, I think I'm craving salt. Not sure.
    Anyway- hang in there. We're all here for you.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Oh, @baconslave- I feel your pain. I really do. I know you've been at this for a long time and know your strengths and weaknesses, but I have to aske you, is this true physical hunger?? Could you be trying to soothe yourself since your not feeling well?? I, too have been looking to almonds and macadamias lately. I don't feel really hungry, I think I'm craving salt. Not sure.
    Anyway- hang in there. We're all here for you.

It isn't of course. But the urge is just as strong as if it were.
    I can't really eat to satiety. If I don't measure out my portions and stop myself with "only what's on the plate" then I can keep eating a long time before I ever actually feel full. So I measure everything forever. I could fill my plate full of 7 or 8oz of meat, dipped in butter and 6 or 7oz of veggies cooked in lard and creamed and still be able to eat more if I'd let myself. 30 min later is the insistent urge. I call it phantom hunger. I know I've had enough calories. But it's as if the second that my stomach isn't completely full anymore (if it ever even feels full, because it usually doesn't) it sends out the signal "must top off!" I've always been like this. If I allowed it, I could eat everyone in my family under the table. And then want seconds. My body wants to chew and swallow tasty food, and my stomach has no fuel gauge until it is overfull already. It takes a lot of food to achieve overfull.

I could always eat. I've been like that since birth. I was always overweight as a child, because I always felt like I needed to eat. I didn't really NEED to. I had enough food. But I've always had the crossed signal and urge to constantly be shoving it in my face. It feels real. And I know it's not. It's noise. But it's consistent, constant annoying noise. It's definitely harder to ignore when you are tired.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Baconslave. I feel the same thing with my level of hunger. I always feel hungry. I can't eat to satiety even doing full on keto because I would never stop eating and gaining. I feel I am always one bite away from a binge and any little thing might trigger it.
    My current strategy has been to try to accept it as a new normal and work on strategies for managing new eating situations and also to figure out what maintenence might eventually look like for me. Haven't been to successful with either.
    Not giving up though. I'll keep trying til it works. I didn't come this far to fold.
    Take some time to settle and make a little plan. Then when you're feeling stronger, give it a go. One more time. We'll be here in the peanut gallery cheering you on!
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    @baconslave I'm there too. One of my anticonvulsant medications actually blocks satiety signal to the brain- so I could keep eating forever... and I've taken the stuff since I was 15. My DH recently started weighing everything and I took his cue. It's amazing how outta whack my portion sizes were! And to think... I used to eat 3 or 4 cups of white rice every time we had "healthy" stir fry loaded with sugary teriyaki sauce! Gah! I'm hoping the satiety will come too, but for now I will measure everything like my hubs. I do thank you for giving us an inside scoop about the struggles when one is at or near goal weight. It gives us a heads up!
  • baconslave
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks, guys.
    I know I'm being whiny. But I felt this little group we have going on is about keeping it real.
    I love r/keto and other keto communities, but they absolutely will not entertain the thought that keto isn't perfect and if you just nail everything perfectly, everything will fall right in line. Angels will sing. Weight will fall off and stay off and everything is flawless. Yes, check your electrolytes and yes, get enough fat. But if you are genuinely doing everything right, and them angels ain't singing? You still feel like crap?

Well life just doesn't work that way. Angels are too busy.
    Some people are satisfied with keto at 800 cals and struggle to eat. That's not me. That's never been me. And I consider myself almost a keto expert now after I've been doing it so long; It's great, but not the end-all-be-all. Humans are too complicated for that to be the case.

Thanks for listening to me moan and groan. I'm just holding on and KCKO. It's raining cats, dogs, and bacon in my life right now.
    That's what life does.
    elize7 wrote: »
    Baconslave. I feel the same thing with my level of hunger. I always feel hungry. I can't eat to satiety even doing full on keto because I would never stop eating and gaining. I feel I am always one bite away from a binge and any little thing might trigger it.

That's me.
    Gum helps me a lot, since, if I keep it in my mouth, then there's not calories going in there instead. But I have TMJ on one side and have to watch it. I do NOT need a flare and my jaw popping out of joint to add to my laundry list of dysfunction.

There were so many close calls yesterday. I almost dived face first into pork rinds and dip after supper. It doesn't help that DH and the kids snack like crazy. In my face. Phew! And it's another day...mercy!

kimbo8435 wrote: »
    @baconslave I'm there too. One of my anticonvulsant medications actually blocks satiety signal to the brain- so I could keep eating forever... and I've taken the stuff since I was 15. My DH recently started weighing everything and I took his cue. It's amazing how outta whack my portion sizes were! And to think... I used to eat 3 or 4 cups of white rice every time we had "healthy" stir fry loaded with sugary teriyaki sauce! Gah! I'm hoping the satiety will come too, but for now I will measure everything like my hubs. I do thank you for giving us an inside scoop about the struggles when one is at or near goal weight. It gives us a heads up!

Maintenance can be as tricky as losing. I would have been sunk if I hadn't thought about it ahead. And for all that planning, I held onto mine for about 2 sec. :lol: I'll get back there. I just need to breathe, deal with all this dumb BS life is giving me, and KCKO.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    So, I know for me, folks, the "always hungry" stuff is part of my insulin resistance. I've had that forever, as long as I can remember. Have y'all been tested for that? I can't remember if anyone else has mentioned it.

Also, and I know this is terrifying, but I think there has been someone posting studies lately showing that we have like an upper and lower threshold for effective weight loss. The 1200 calorie stuff most folks know about - that has to happen for a lot of us (yeah, Keto's not magic for me, either, but I feel better on it than any other plan so far) - that's to common one. But there's an underground movement thing going on now that says if we push through usually 500-1000 calories higher than that, that it heals some of the underlying metabolic issues - we'll gain at first, up to 6 months of slow gains, at that level, before the repairs happen, and then we start losing.

I'm absolutely terrified of trying this myself. But I know through a friend of one person it worked for. Plus, @baconslave, if I remember right, your CFS and other stuff is rooted in autoimmune stuff, right? Are any of you following DittoDan's adventures in restoring his gut health? I am just curious.

I'm not so deluded as to think that there's a magic pill or plan that works for everyone. That's ridiculous and depressing because it does not work like that...

But, they're starting to think all autoimmune stuff and metabolic stuff is rooted in gut health.

And sadly, I kind of feel like keto is much like waitressing was for me - I'd get compliments to the management (improved blood work and lab numbers), but I'd never get decent tips (weight/size losses). It's making me a bit mental, at the moment.... Especially since i'm having weird reactions as if I'm eating carb-laden feasts when I'm not...

I think going off plan at the holidays really jacked up my IR and my glucose tolerance in some bad ways.... :'(
  • baconslave
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss
    I take probiotics daily, have a dairy blend with active cultures, and try to get a mouthful or 2 of homemade sauerkraut a day.
    I've got a new round of supplements like d-ribose, coQ10, and L-carnitine and a sleep supp coming. Hopefully that will work. And maybe I'll eat more kraut.

Sorry you are having issues. It sucks.
    With me it's I wake up tired. I'm tired all day with waves of more tired hitting me. Then late afternoon I perk up and then I have more energy than I've had all frickin' day. And I can usually fall asleep no prob, but I can't stay asleep. Especially when I'm woken by having to pee 8000 times and then getting stabbed in the eye by little dudes with spears (aka corneal rips due to dry eye.) Rinse and repeat. I know I should do my exercise in the morning. But it's cold and I'm tired. :disappointed: In the afternoon, the guilt and the recognition that I'm running out of time to get it in makes me "Just Do It."
    I think my cortisol rhythm is jacked up. This biohacking stuff is so darn complicated. Sigh...

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    SO much so, @baconslave... I'm over this. I didn't have this much time when I jumped head first into low carb in the middle of a 3 day 2-3 pound chocolate bender... I wish this was enough to keep me from eating off plan anymore ever, but I live in reality.... LOL

Biohacking the jacked up female body SUCKS... And damn, that's a lot of supplements.

My prolapse doc wants me to go see a gastroenterologist because I generally feel the need to go with nothing in the solid waste pipe, and nothing makes sense... Anyone know how a colonoscopy/GI scope work while you're keto?
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Ash Wednesday... Is anyone doing anything for Lent? I decided to forego alcohol. I usually only drink 3-5 drinks one night a week but it will definitely exercise my will power to give up that night. (Karaoke bar night!)
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Thanks, guys.
    I know I'm being whiny. But I felt this little group we have going on is about keeping it real.
    I love r/keto and other keto communities, but they absolutely will not entertain the thought that keto isn't perfect and if you just nail everything perfectly, everything will fall right in line. Angels will sing. Weight will fall off and stay off and everything is flawless. Yes, check your electrolytes and yes, get enough fat. But if you are genuinely doing everything right, and them angels ain't singing? You still feel like crap?

Some people are satisfied with keto at 800 cals and struggle to eat. That's not me. That's never been me. And I consider myself almost a keto expert now after I've been doing it so long; It's great, but not the end-all-be-all. Humans are too complicated for that to be the case.

Thanks for listening to me moan and groan. I'm just holding on and KCKO. It's raining cats, dogs, and bacon in my life right now.
    That's what life does.

Gum helps me a lot, since, if I keep it in my mouth, then there's not calories going in there instead. But I have TMJ on one side and have to watch it. I do NOT need a flare and my jaw popping out of joint to add to my laundry list of dysfunction.

There were so many close calls yesterday. I almost dived face first into pork rinds and dip after supper. It doesn't help that DH and the kids snack like crazy. In my face. Phew! And it's another day...mercy!

Maintenance can be as tricky as losing. I would have been sunk if I hadn't thought about it ahead. And for all that planning, I held onto mine for about 2 sec. :lol: I'll get back there. I just need to breathe, deal with all this dumb BS life is giving me, and KCKO.

Thanks so much for being so transparent! You literally just sang my song! I could never really put my finger on the true root of my lack of success and reading your laments totally described how I've been feeling.

The main reason I have not had much success and relapse so often is the fact that even when I was 100% all in, in terms of a strict Keto diet, I was never free from the call of food.

I felt a bit better and had lost some water weight but little to no fat. My problem was that I'm not just in this for the sake of the WOE. I want to lose weight and in order to do that, I'd have to track and limit my calories which makes Keto no different than any other diet for me.

I have been following the Keto and Low Cal boards since August and this is literally the first time I have ever heard someone flat out say that low carbs and extra fat wasn't the miracle appetite-suppressing, fat-melting combo for them either.

I'm not glad to hear that you're struggling, but whenever I'd post about my struggles, I often felt like people must think I'm either not trying or not truly sticking to it the way I said I was. I am just glad to finally know that I'm not a lone anomaly.
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Thanks, guys.

That's what life does.

Thanks so much for being so transparent! You literally just sang my song! I could never really put my finger on the true root of my lack of success and reading your laments totally described how I've been feeling.

The main reason I have not had much success and relapse so often is the fact that even when I was 100% all in, in terms of a strict Keto diet, I was never free from the call of food.

I felt a bit better and had lost some water weight but little to no fat. My problem was that I'm not just in this for the sake of the WOE. I want to lose weight and in order to do that, I'd have to track and limit my calories which makes Keto no different than any other diet for me.

I have been following the Keto and Low Cal boards since August and this is literally the first time I have ever heard someone flat out say that low carbs and extra fat wasn't the miracle appetite-suppressing, fat-melting combo for them either.

I'm not glad to hear that you're struggling, but whenever I'd post about my struggles, I often felt like people must think I'm either not trying or not truly sticking to it the way I said I was. I am just glad to finally know that I'm not a lone anomaly.

@baconslave I don't think you're being whiny at all. You're being honest and I really appreciate it.

Like both of you, the call of food is never far. I have a life-long history of turning to it when I'm stressed, not feeling well, angry, bored, overwhelmed, joyous...you name it. I always want to eat. When I see people writing that you don't have to count calories on keto, I can't believe it. Not that I don't believe them, but I have a hard time believing that I could ever get there. I can gorge on keto foods just as much as any other because my problem is psychological. I know that I need to deal with it, but overcoming the way my brain has wired sometimes seems insurmountable. I continue to hope that by logging my calories I can retrain my thinking about what food I need. Even now, sitting here, I feel like ordering a pizza. Ugh.

I remember reading on another board at one point, maybe it was even you @KnitOrMiss that said it, that we're busy doing addition in our brain while our bodies are doing calculus.

One day at a time.
  • frikfourie
    frikfourie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - great group! I just wanted to introduce myself and start sharing. I have been LCHF for about 10 months, and have lost 77 pounds. I still have about 40 left to go. I have stalled for the last 4 months, and have just started using MFP again yesterday, and immediately saw where my mistake was. I fixed it, and have already started seeing the scale move in the right direction! Just goes to show, you are never too old to learn. Great meeting you guys, and feel free to add me as friend.
  • kimbo8435
    Options
    frikfourie wrote: »
    Hi everyone - great group! I just wanted to introduce myself and start sharing. I have been LCHF for about 10 months, and have lost 77 pounds. I still have about 40 left to go. I have stalled for the last 4 months, and have just started using MFP again yesterday, and immediately saw where my mistake was. I fixed it, and have already started seeing the scale move in the right direction! Just goes to show, you are never too old to learn. Great meeting you guys, and feel free to add me as friend.

Welcome to the party! You've had some amazing results thus far and it was so smart to take some time to reassess and start tracking again.
  • kimbo8435
    Options
    Sooo... last night I was at the grocery and I took a look at my old favorite grab-from-the-checkout-line snack: the double oatmeal creampie. The clerk musta thought I was nuts because I broke out in hysterics--- 76 carbs for the damn thing that I used to eat in 2 seconds without a thought! Nearly 4 days worth of carbs! Bwahahaha! God, I was so awful to my body and thankfully I have seen the keto light!
  • frikfourie
    frikfourie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome @kimbo8435. The other thing that I love about shopping is that you spend so much less money when you bypass all the sugary stuff. I also remember the cravings you get from eating such high carb snacks, it was like a bottomless pit!
  • baconslave
    Options

Excellent work.

I found that when I lost about 3/4 of my weight things got really hard and I had a 3mo stall myself. Turns out I was just getting too lazy logging/tracking and was eating more than I thought. I'm glad you figured out your issue and things are moving along.
    Welcome to the Keepin' It Real thread. :lol:

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »
    Thanks, guys.

That's what life does.

@baconslave I don't think you're being whiny at all. You're being honest and I really appreciate it.

Like both of you, the call of food is never far. I have a life-long history of turning to it when I'm stressed, not feeling well, angry, bored, overwhelmed, joyous...you name it. I always want to eat. When I see people writing that you don't have to count calories on keto, I can't believe it. Not that I don't believe them, but I have a hard time believing that I could ever get there. I can gorge on keto foods just as much as any other because my problem is psychological. I know that I need to deal with it, but overcoming the way my brain has wired sometimes seems insurmountable. I continue to hope that by logging my calories I can retrain my thinking about what food I need. Even now, sitting here, I feel like ordering a pizza. Ugh.

I remember reading on another board at one point, maybe it was even you @KnitOrMiss that said it, that we're busy doing addition in our brain while our bodies are doing calculus.

One day at a time.

I have been stalled for the last few months. I can't decide whether I've been straying because I'm stressed or whether I use the stress as an excuse for poor eating. lol I'm really trying to change my habit of turning to food when stressed. Too bad there is only one way to quit food cold turkey...
  • baconslave
    Options
    Thanks, guys.

That's what life does.

You so aren't alone. I'm active-ish on r/keto, as in I regularly read even if I don't post. Every time someone even says they are tied or always hungry, it's "electrolytes" and "eat MOAR FAT." Now, there's something to be said for electrolytes, because they ARE essential. But I've had mine locked in for a long time. Still tired. But I have Chronicly Stupid Body syndrome. :lol:

And I tried their MOAR FAT and I was still hungry or "phantom hungry." I spent a whole month only counting carbs and eating to satiety. I gained over 2lbs. :rage:

Whatever it is, guys, setting you back, YOU AREN'T ALONE.
    The same thing that is wrong with conventional wisdom is wrong with group-think. I love keto. It's my fave! I won't eat any othe way. But it's not flawless.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    JodiSW wrote: »
    Thanks, guys.

That's what life does.

One day at a time.

I have been stalled for the last few months. I can't decide whether I've been straying because I'm stressed or whether I use the stress as an excuse for poor eating. lol I'm really trying to change my habit of turning to food when stressed. Too bad there is only one way to quit food cold turkey...

A chicken/egg condundrum. It's really hard. I thought I'd killed all my food-demons. Then I got this corneal erosion thing and severe chronic dry eye (you can google those--talk about effin' stress!) and now I'm struggling with stress/comfort eating again. Some things won't go away, like me being a raging choco/sugar addict (and add to that the raging peanut/cashew binge eating I've developed--something else to fight, darnit!), but we CAN get stronger and smarter and figure out how to make this work.

It's like our urge-brain is a flippin' toddler! The key to getting it to behave is misdirection and distraction. You've got to figure out how to stop that thought/urge path. It's a path of least resistance your brain has developed. It becomes a knee-jerk you automatically go to. Distract yourself. Interrupt that knee-jerk and stop it dead. You'll have to practice that many times before it starts to stick, but it WILL stick eventually. I do it with sugar-free gum. I keep it in my mouth during stressful or phantom hunger periods and tell my inner toddler "NO." I'm sending the urge into "timeout." It helps most of the time. Yeah, it's a crutch. But it's better than eating 600 cals of nuts in one sitting like I was a starving herd of squirrels.
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Hey there! Welcome. This has been my favorite group on MFP hands down.

Not to be intrusive but I'm wondering what mistake you discovered? Interested in sharing?