Need help starting

Options

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »

@XavierNusum i think i will mourn them too when cut time comes!

Oh I'm sure you will! :D
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Waiting to plan my cut around my vacation. Waiting for more info to plan my trip lol.

So far I am loving doing "true strength" at my tdee. Personal bests every time I lift :)

I am considering doing a cut for roughly 8 weeks while doing an endurance and hypertrophy plan (each 4 weeks) and then doing a tdee break for roughly 4 weeks while completing a strength plan. I tolerate lower weight, high reps; but I love high weight low reps.

Any advice on this?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Generally figured if you can keep 1/3 of what got you to your weight - you'll maintain the strength.
    But intensity must be maintained, so can only lower volume and frequency.

So if 3 days x 3 sets x 10 reps (90 weekly) got you there - then 30 weekly can keep you there, so 3 x 10 x 1 day perhaps, or 3 day x 1 set x 10 reps along with other rep ranges added around it.

Then when you come out of deficit and back to strength, ready to start where you left off. Higher volume first few workouts still a killer, but you'll have the weight at least.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Update:
    Weekly weigh ins:

Eating 2260
    Dec 7- 160.2
    Dec 14- 162.2
    Dec 21- 162
    Dec 28- 164.4

Eating 2400
    Jan 4- 164.4
    Jan 12- 165
    Jan 20- 164.6

Eating 2500
    Feb 1- 167
    Feb 8- 168

Back down to 2400
    Feb 15- 168.8
    Feb 22- 170

Back down to 2300
    Feb 26- 170.8

Feel like I just keep gaining. I want to cut starting march 7th. Does my weight need to be stable first?
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    That's how I felt too. Gained and gained and gained. I felt miserable. I would say you might have found your tdee at 2400?? Eating at that it seemed like your gains were small. Maybe try eating at 2400 a little longer this time?
    That's where my tdee falls. I finally cut and the scale is moving in the right direction at eating 1900-2000 calories. At first I was a little moody because of missing my food, but it's all good now. Lol
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'd agree, it look like 2400 might be close to your TDEE - keep there and then adjust by 50 or so calories up or down to confirm.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I Thought 2400 was tdee. I went up to 2500 to confirm 2400 was my tdee. When I went back down to 2400, i still kept gaining. So i went down another 100, still slightly gaining.

I will try sticking to 2400 for the next week and a half and then cut.

I may take next week off of lifting, haven't decided yet.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Keep in mind - If you take a week off of lifting, you'll need to adjust your intake because your TDEE will change. It might be better to continue lifting to keep the consistency in your activity/calorie intake :)
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Keep in mind - If you take a week off of lifting, you'll need to adjust your intake because your TDEE will change. It might be better to continue lifting to keep the consistency in your activity/calorie intake :)

Good point. I just feel very tired and we have a busy weekend coming up. I will try to rest and i may lighten up at the gym a little. Its supposed to be PR week, but I may only go for a squat PR.

Maybe some of it is lack of motivation. Usually, once i reach a goal, i am content to stay there. For example, i ran a half marathon in 2011- haven't ran more than a 20 min hiit since then. Lol. My original weight lifting goals were 100 bench, 150 squat, 200 deadlift. I've reached 2/3.

I'm actually looking forward to going back to an endurance phase of lifting, which surprises me :)

Anyways, rest and cake and birthday dinners coming up. We have 3 birthdays in our immediate family this week :)
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Maybe it's time to set new goals?
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    ;-) let us know how it goes the next few weeks eating 2400. How much do you plan to eat when you start to cut? Happy party weekend, enjoy! :-)
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    ambsnic17 wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to set new goals?

Thats very logical ;) need to rewire that brain of mine to think that way!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Haha.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    ;-) let us know how it goes the next few weeks eating 2400. How much do you plan to eat when you start to cut? Happy party weekend, enjoy! :-)

I think 10-15% :)

I'm going to take your advice and make some new goals. For this next week I will try to match my bench press. Want to hit 150 for squats. I may add 5-10 on my deads (but may cut out 1 set).

Next up will be 4 weeks of endurance lifting, then 4 weeks of hypertrophy. I'm sure once strength comes around again I will be raring to go. But, I may hold myself back some and not PR every week so I don't get burnt out.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    ^ sounds smart :smiley:
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Well, I finished "true strength"!
    I ended up doing 2 workouts this week, which is a compromise between not working out and going full steam.

My bench pr: 105 (failed 110 miserably)
    Squat: 150
    Deadlift: 215

Moving back into surge (endurance) monday.

Starting my cut (at 2070) sunday or monday.

I'm very excited. I'm not sure what to expect. I know it will be slow but I hope that losing 4 pounds of fat between now and vacation (in may) will be far more noticable now than previous times of losing 4 pounds of water/muscle. One can hope, again i don't know what to expect!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Good luck. Take pics!!
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Good luck. Take pics!!

Thanks for the reminder! Need to do pics & measurements this weekend!
  • fitwithwhit88
    fitwithwhit88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yay! Super exciting! Think I'm gonna stick the reset out for another week or so and then get into my cut around 2100ish. I'll be keeping tabs on your success - let you go first so I know how things will pan out for me ;)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    Well, I finished "true strength"!
    I ended up doing 2 workouts this week, which is a compromise between not working out and going full steam.

My bench pr: 105 (failed 110 miserably)
    Squat: 150
    Deadlift: 215

Moving back into surge (endurance) monday.

Starting my cut (at 2070) sunday or monday.

I'm very excited. I'm not sure what to expect. I know it will be slow but I hope that losing 4 pounds of fat between now and vacation (in may) will be far more noticable now than previous times of losing 4 pounds of water/muscle. One can hope, again i don't know what to expect!

I'll bet it'll be shocking the difference.

4 lbs of fat, especially if you lose it first in noticeable place, can be, well, noticeable.

I'd get a picture in some clothes you had worn in prior picture at that weight 4 lbs down, and do it now and 4 lbs down - just to compare.